Start by marking “The Styx” as Want to Read:
The Styx

The Styx

A powerful historical novel of greed, murder, and conspiracy set in turn-of-the-century Palm Beach

The Great Migration of the 1890s remade south Florida as Northern developers, former sharecroppers, and recent immigrants rushed to the state to seek their fortunes. Sitting atop it all was the Royal Poinciana Hotel, built on the shores of Palm Beach by real estate tycoon Henr
Published October 14th 2010 by Open Road Media Mystery & Thriller (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Styx, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Styx

Shelly
Jun 23, 2011 Shelly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
King has an interesting story to tell, based in part on actual events. The story is in third-person limited, told primarily through the eyes of Pinkerton Michael Byrne and socialite Marjory McAdams, with occasional diversions into the points of views of other characters. I was disappointed when one character turned out to be involved in the murder plot; there'd been nothing in the narrative from this character's point of view to suggest involvement. This development felt like cheap trickery.
The
Arlene Shulman/Lichtman
I have read the history of Flagler's Florida railroad. I have visited his home and was in Car 90. This book was a treat for me because it covered another angle of young Florida. The Author did a good job of creating old New York and young Palm Beach. The characters were interesting but left me a bit confused. The land acquiring plot was just too complicated and involved too many twists and turns. I gave the novel a 4 star because I liked the whole concept but could not give it a 5 star.
Ursula
Nov 14, 2013 Ursula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the story, however, I was appalled at the many spelling mistakes in this book. Instead of bridle, the word bridal was used, and instead of pedaled, peddled made it. And so many more; whoever proofread this book did a lousy job. That's when I wish writers would run their stories by me; even though English is not my first language, mistakes happen to pop out at me. That was the only annoyance though; I liked the story.
Melina
Oct 13, 2013 Melina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
this is an interesting story to read. however, I wish that the delivery matched the intentions. the plot development was uneven to say the least: dragging unnecessarily in certain cases (one chapter on fishing? seriously?) and moving too fast without prior indication in others. I admit that the writing itself didn't impress me too much either. overall, I feel that the book would have benefited a lot from a good editor.
Brenda
Sep 28, 2009 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Jonathon is a master story teller and the fact that the book is based on actual events makes it even more riveting. It is rich in Florida history as well as suspense, surprise twists and an ending that made me smile.
Shawnna
Feb 13, 2013 Shawnna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historic-fiction
I totally loved this book. The author had a rich vocabulary and did a wonderful job of creating the look and feel of the different scenes, people and circumstances. I would definitely recommend to anyone who enjoys historical fiction with a side of greed, corruption, passion and murder.
Michele
Jul 06, 2014 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting historical mystery about turn of the century Palm Beach. A Pinkerton guard for Henry Flagler takes the job to get to Palm Beach in search of his brother. Men follow Flagler around to try and be the first to buy up land around him.
Jim
Jul 02, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book and worth reading. Trickery? Why should an author play all his cards? Holding something back in this instance made the 'sappy' character way more believable. This book is not a romance novel with a fairy tale ending.
Rosanne Zn
Aug 11, 2012 Rosanne Zn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Historical fiction with interesting notes of class disparity and the building of south Florida. I enjoyed it!
Dave
May 01, 2013 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The setting is fantastic and vibrantly realized; the plot is interesting enough. The characters (especially the female characters) fall pretty flat, though.
Anna Marie
My book club loved this book, especially because the author came to speak to us. Interesting historical fiction.
J.E. Neiman
Sep 30, 2012 J.E. Neiman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The historical material was interesting and eye opening. It's not a novel I'd ever read again., so can't give it 5 stars.
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Aug 24, 2012
Jana
Jana rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2012
Brenda
Brenda rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2013
Anessa
Anessa rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2016
Mary Roang
Mary Roang rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2016
Gary
Gary rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Dr. James H. Coyne
Dr. James H. Coyne rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2015
Tom Meek
Tom Meek rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2015
Anji Ison
Anji Ison rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Maureen Carden
Maureen Carden rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2013
TeriT
TeriT rated it liked it
May 22, 2014
Melanie
Melanie rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2012
Teresa in Ohio
Jan 03, 2010 Teresa in Ohio rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads
tried 3 times not my kind of book, do love his max freeman series
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Sharon
Sharon rated it it was ok
Jan 13, 2012
Todd Morgan
Todd Morgan rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2010
diane
diane rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Edgar-award winning author Jonathon King is the creator of the Max Freeman crime series set in the Everglades and on the hard streets of urban South Florida. In his previous career as a journalist, he was a police and court reporter for 24 years with the Sun-Sentinel in Fort Lauderdale and the Philadelphia Daily News.

More about Jonathon King...