Start by marking “The Styx” as Want to Read:
The Styx

The Styx

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A powerful historical novel of greed, murder, and conspiracy set in turn-of-the-century Palm Beach

The Great Migration of the 1890s remade south Florida as Northern developers, former sharecroppers, and recent immigrants rushed to the state to seek their fortunes. Sitting atop it all was the Royal Poinciana Hotel, built on the shores of Palm Beach by real estate tycoon Henr
Published October 14th 2010 by Open Road Media Mystery & Thriller (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Styx, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Styx

Shelly
King has an interesting story to tell, based in part on actual events. The story is in third-person limited, told primarily through the eyes of Pinkerton Michael Byrne and socialite Marjory McAdams, with occasional diversions into the points of views of other characters. I was disappointed when one character turned out to be involved in the murder plot; there'd been nothing in the narrative from this character's point of view to suggest involvement. This development felt like cheap trickery.
The
Michele
An interesting historical mystery about turn of the century Palm Beach. A Pinkerton guard for Henry Flagler takes the job to get to Palm Beach in search of his brother. Men follow Flagler around to try and be the first to buy up land around him.
Jim
Interesting book and worth reading. Trickery? Why should an author play all his cards? Holding something back in this instance made the 'sappy' character way more believable. This book is not a romance novel with a fairy tale ending.
Melie
this is an interesting story to read. however, I wish that the delivery matched the intentions. the plot development was uneven to say the least: dragging unnecessarily in certain cases (one chapter on fishing? seriously?) and moving too fast without prior indication in others. I admit that the writing itself didn't impress me too much either. overall, I feel that the book would have benefited a lot from a good editor.
Brenda
Sep 28, 2009 Brenda rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Jonathon is a master story teller and the fact that the book is based on actual events makes it even more riveting. It is rich in Florida history as well as suspense, surprise twists and an ending that made me smile.
Dave
The setting is fantastic and vibrantly realized; the plot is interesting enough. The characters (especially the female characters) fall pretty flat, though.
J.E. Neiman
The historical material was interesting and eye opening. It's not a novel I'd ever read again., so can't give it 5 stars.
Rosanne Zn
Historical fiction with interesting notes of class disparity and the building of south Florida. I enjoyed it!
Jeffrey Hammerhead
I enjoyed this book because it takes place on Palm Beach island back in Flagler's days.
Teresa in Ohio
tried 3 times not my kind of book, do love his max freeman series
Denise
Very good!Slow but steady pace to the climax (the ending).
Shirley Zaporzon
loved this book. Florida in the early years
Shawnna
I totally loved this book. The author had a rich vocabulary and did a wonderful job of creating the look and feel of the different scenes, people and circumstances. I would definitely recommend to anyone who enjoys historical fiction with a side of greed, corruption, passion and murder.
kimberlie gilbert
kimberlie gilbert marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Tom Mathews
Tom Mathews marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
sill
sill marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Gwen
Gwen added it
Jul 26, 2014
Susan Jones
Susan Jones marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Edgar-award winning author Jonathon King is the creator of the Max Freeman crime series set in the Everglades and on the hard streets of urban South Florida. In his previous career as a journalist, he was a police and court reporter for 24 years with the Sun-Sentinel in Fort Lauderdale and the Philadelphia Daily News.

More about Jonathon King...
The Blue Edge of Midnight (Max Freeman, #1) A Visible Darkness (Max Freeman, #2) Shadow Men (Max Freeman, #3) Acts of Nature (Max Freeman, #5) A Killing Night (Max Freeman, #4)