Start by marking “A Visible Darkness” as Want to Read:
A Visible Darkness

A Visible Darkness (Max Freeman #2)

Book two of the bestselling Max Freeman mystery series: When a string of elderly women turn up dead in a poor Florida community, Max must put an end to the chilling scheme

When five elderly women are murdered in Fort Lauderdale, Max Freeman is determined to get to the bottom of it. His friend, the lawyer Billy Manchester, believes the murders are tied to a conspiracy to col
Published October 14th 2010 by Open Road Media Mystery & Thriller (first published 2003)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
Following his Edgar winning debut novel, The Blue Edge of Midnight: A Max Freeman Mystery, Johnathon King delivers a deliciously intense and engrossing story in A Visible Darkness . However this intensity differs because the reader knows who the killer is from page 1, but why is Eddie killing the elderly matriarchs of African American families? The second mystery of Manchester and Freeman matriarchs is slowly revealed showing the same symmetry and dichotomy of the main question, why. Marrying ...more
Ed
Dec 10, 2008 Ed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm always a big fan for a P.I. tale. In this one, I like the Max Freeman protagonist as a transplant from Piladeliphia to the Florida Everglades that sets up an intriguing contrast between his former profession as a gritty cop and his current status as an edgy private detective. The prose stays sharp and clean. For some reason, AVD reminds me of Stephen Greenleaf's private detective. Good stuff.
LJ
A VISIBLE DARKNESS (Unlicensed Investigator/Ex-Cop-Florida-Cont) – VG
King, Jonathon – 2nd in series
Dutton, 2003- Hardcover
Max Freeman is an ex-Philadelphia cop now living in an Everglade swamp shack. He occasionally does investigation for his best friend, attorney Billy Manchester. In this case, Billy suspects someone is killing elderly black women who sold their life insurance policies to investors. Although the police have declared the deaths to be natural causes, Max soon agrees that things a
Robert
Aug 10, 2010 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The books in this series reminds of some really good chicken wings. Very tasty just not much meat on the bone. Kings writing style very closely matches that of Michael Connelly and that is a good thing. The story lines in this series of books has been very solid so far. I would really like to see King attempt to write a novel of perhaps another 100 pages in length. I feel this would add that much more to an already very Goodread. I did skip this book and read the third in the series before readi ...more
Georgiann Hennelly
Max Freeman is seeking refuge from the familiar demons of his former life as a Philadelpha police officer. But his self imposed isolation is interrupted when his best friend attorney Billy Manchester calls him. There has been some suspicious deaths- all elderly women from a poor neighborhood, and all had sizeable and recently sold off insurance policies. Which the police have been unwilling, or unable to investigate. Billy suspects something sinister maybe at work, so to help his friend, Max mus ...more
Mandy Gilbert
Loved the book....the main character is pained from his past and tries to live a secluded life in his very sparse cabin in the Florida Everglades. He reluctantly agrees to help a friend solve a local mystery. I enjoyed the storyline and the whole atmospheric setting of the book.
Leon Aldrich
This one ended too quickly for the second novel in the series. I'm anxious to hear what others think about it?
Barbara B.
Dec 26, 2011 Barbara B. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second in the series of a new found character that is growing on me. Will definitely continue with this author and character---Max Freeman.
Tami
Sep 13, 2010 Tami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this mystery series. The first one is entitled The Blue Edge of Midnight. Always happy when I find a new series that I enjoy!
Koollkid
Apr 15, 2013 Koollkid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice development of the main characters. Another entertaining storyline. I think I'm going to enjoy this series. If you like Michael Donnelly give these a go.
Joan
Mar 23, 2013 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
nicely done. really liking this author.
Benjamin
3.5 Stars
JBradford
I did not know that this was a series until I looked it up; for those who keep track, this is Max Freeman #2, and it is well enough done that I may look around for some of the others.

Reading between the lines, the first book must’ve been about Max Freeman’s life as a Philadelphia police officer, a career which ended when he took in disability release after being shot in the neck by a teenage criminal he was attempting to arrest — or, alternatively, involves an earlier adventure in the Everglades
Kayeb
Jun 26, 2009 Kayeb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another series I have read in the past....... this is the second of the series, so I will have to find the others. I enjoyed it......it is a book that results in my wanting to visit the Keys a bit more........tho the insects and such are not real thrilling aspects! But, he is descriptive, and I love the character of Billy...they are a bit like bookends to one another in their differences, yet the friendship is compelling and a fun to watch unfold. They are clearly are on the others' "side" and h ...more
Ria
Jan 06, 2014 Ria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first novel I have read by this author and it didn't disappoint.
Elderly ladies are getting murdered in Max Freeman's area and his old boss Billy Manchester calls Max in to help with the investigation.
At first they think its a run of the mill serial killer with a modus operandi of killing elderly women but what they uncover is more sinister and seedy, all these ladies had life insurance policies so is this motive enough to lead to murder?
Cue the entrance of a vagrant "junk man" who is
Stevedutch
A few years ago I read this author's first novel and though only mildly impressed felt I might try another some time. This, the second book, is a distinct improvement and demonstrates a much surer hand than the first. The characters of King's `detective', amateur sleuth, Max Freeman and his lawyer buddy, Billy Manchester are firmly established and their relationship plausible whilst the descriptions of the Florida flora and fauna are easy on the ear and reminiscent of James Lee Burke's Louisiana ...more
Gabrielle
So far all thats happend is that theres this man that thinks he is invisible and investagator talking about his past. Nothing exciting has happened yet. The part that im reading now is that they are still investagating a crime but its something recent and there trying to find out what happened and who did it. Its starting to get good. What happens is the dectective tries to find this man who has been killing and raping old women. When he finally finds him its the man that they always call invisi ...more
Qazyman
Jun 15, 2011 Qazyman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Visible Darkness by Jonathon King

This is the second book in the Adventures of Max Freeman. Max is the typical anti-hero, and both books are fairly quick reads. These are the only two criticisms I have of this series.

The books are honest and well written, but not as flashy as other crime novels. Personally, I think this makes the books more satisfying.

You feel Max is someone you could possibly know.

I’m really enjoying this series and plan to read all the books.
Frederick
A Visible Darkness (Max Freeman, #2) by Jonathon King "A Visible Darkness" by Jonathon King - An excellent book. It is the second in the series and every bit as good as the first. A gripping plot and memorable characters make up this awesome suspense filled mystery.
Mike
Apr 21, 2016 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jonathan King won the Edgar for his first Max Freeman book Blue Edge of Midnight and for once it was deserved. He continues his high standard of writing and story-telling in this the second Max Freeman installment. There are so many "series" out there that it is sometimes hard to tell the wheat from the chaff. This is definitely the former and I will be looking forward to the rest of the series.
Charlene
Read this a week after the first one in the series. I was disappointed that there was not much time spent in the Everglades with this novel (although I can certainly see how that setting limits plot.) Author has easy, clean writing style that makes for quick reading. I'll look for the others in the series. Max and Billy are good, interesting characters.
Kathy
Jan 30, 2016 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I continued to work my way through this series. I liked it a great deal probably because I am a sucker for a series, a mystery and anything set in Florida. Also, I recently went kayaking in the same area this series is set in, so that made it interesting as well.
Gavin
Jun 23, 2008 Gavin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detective
Old ladies dying wouldn't usually arouse too much suspicion, except in an insurance company. Max Freeman is engaged by an insurance investigator to assist in discovering what happened and just why so many of the insurance company's insured are cashing in their policies.
Cyndi
Feb 11, 2015 Cyndi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
Didn't like as much as the first one but still good. Parts of Freeman's life is explained. Some rough language and content but this book dealt with drug dealers and was based on reality. I have no doubt it could have been worse.
Barbara Nutting
Oct 31, 2015 Barbara Nutting rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wish I were reading these in order because if you don't they are very intertwined and give away the other books. Liked this one a lot even though I know what happens in future stories!! Travis McGee you could read randomly!!
Jackie
Apr 19, 2012 Jackie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those stories where the reader knows who the killer is all the way through and is simply reading about the process that the good guys use to catch the bad guys. I'm a bigger fan of thrillers that obscure the antagonist until the end, making one part of solving the mystery.
Jeff Dickison
Apr 12, 2015 Jeff Dickison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good second entry into this series as Max helps his friend Billy check out suspected murders for insurance. Good characters, well developed story, and good procedurals make this a winner. Recommended.
Yvonne
Jul 24, 2015 Yvonne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mesmerizing!!

If you love a great mystery I highly recommend the Max Freeman series. Fast moving and intense you won't want to put the book down. Well developed characters make you anxious for the next book.
Amy
Oct 30, 2012 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Wasn't near as good as the first one, though it is still really well written and I love Max Freeman.

I just got bored with the case. Not as much action in it and it was fairly simple to follow.
Joe O'c
Very Good; Continuing character: Max Freeman; elderly black women are dying and Freeman and his acquaintances think its tied to an insurance scam
  • Mean High Tide (Thorn, #3)
  • Midnight Rambler (Jack Carpenter #1)
  • Hoodwink (Nameless Detective, #7)
  • Cold Light (Charles Resnick, #6)
  • Skin and Bone (Dr. Anya Crichton, #3)
  • Kalteis
  • Thirteen Million Dollar Pop (Frank Behr, #3)
  • Skuld
  • Slangebæreren (Cato Isaksen #1)
  • The Terror of Living
  • Miami Purity
  • Getting Old Is Tres Dangereux (Gladdy Gold, #6)
  • Personne n'y échappera
  • Pursuit
  • Den ukendte hustru
  • The Death Collectors (Carson Ryder, #2)
  • Miami, It's Murder (Britt Montero, #2)
  • Envy the Night
Edgar-award winning author Jonathon King is the creator of the Max Freeman crime series set in the Everglades and on the hard streets of urban South Florida. In his previous career as a journalist, he was a police and court reporter for 24 years with the Sun-Sentinel in Fort Lauderdale and the Philadelphia Daily News.

More about Jonathon King...

Max Freeman (7 books)
  • The Blue Edge of Midnight (Max Freeman, #1)
  • Shadow Men (Max Freeman, #3)
  • A Killing Night (Max Freeman, #4)
  • Acts of Nature (Max Freeman, #5)
  • Midnight Guardians (Max Freeman, #6)
  • Don't Lose Her (Max Freeman, #7)