A Killing Night

A Killing Night (Max Freeman #4)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  161 ratings  ·  15 reviews

Book four of the bestselling Max Freeman mystery series: Max’s investigation of a string of murders in south Florida leads him to the most shocking of suspects

After three young female bartenders were murdered in Miamiand one went missing in Philadelphia, Freeman’s ex-girlfriend Sherry Richards hires him to help with the case. Freeman grudgingly accepts the job, despite She...more
Published October 14th 2010 by Open Road Media (first published 2005)

Joy
Before buying this book, I checked the ratings first even though it's on sale. This is the first I've read from Jonathon King and his writing style was good. I only found out he's a former journalist after reading the story and it explained how he put attention to the details.

The story started with the suspect's activities then switched to first person (Max's). I put aside my reservations about reading series in order because this is the 4th in the Max Freeman series, and I'm glad I did because...more
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
Something in A KILLING NIGHT bothered me. No, it wasn’t Jonathon King’s writing. I can’t put my finger on “it” that made me feel a little displeased with the story line. Perhaps it was Richards’ complete obsession with violence against women or her emotional distance from Max and Billy. Or maybe “it” was the triteness of the plotline?

Ex-cop Colin O’Shea had saved Max Freeman’s life in a Philadelphia dark alley and quit the force in disgrace among allegations of sexual improprieties of a mentall...more
LJ
A KILLING NIGHT (Suspense-Miami/Philadelphia-Cont) – VG
King, Jonathan – 4th book
Dutton, 2006- Hardcover
Former cop Max Freeman has been asked by his former girlfriend, Detective Sherry Richards, to investigate someone Max worked with on the Philadelphia police force. Richards suspects O’Shea in a case of young, female bartenders who are disappearing. While for his friend, attorney Billy Manchester, Max is trying to protect immigrant workers who severely injured working on a cruise ship.
*** Once a...more
Amy
For me, this was my least favorite book of the series so far. The plot was interesting, and the twists were nice, but they weren't quite enough to hold the book together. In the previous books, there was a lot of action and worry that the main character, Max, wouldn't make it out alive. I felt no worry for his safety here.

Max spent a lot of time convincing us how clever he was. Just about everything he did he had to explain the reasoning for it. Maybe he did this in the other books as well, but...more
Gavin
This is the fourth of Mr. King's novels featuring Max Freeman. Max, now having been lured back into the world from his Florida Everglades hideout, goes on the trail of a barmaid killer. His ex-girlfriend, a policewoman in Fort Lauderdale, has been investigating without any assistance from the boys or girls in blue based on a hunch that missing barmaids have been killed. Her initial suspicion is on a former police officer from Philadelphia, known to Max from his time with the Philly PD. Were I to...more
Robert
If you have not found Jonathan King yet give his Max Freeman series a shot. A Killing Night is the fourth in the Max Freeman series and these just seem to get better as they go along. In this installment Max will get mixed up in the case of some missing woman who work at local bars. King is sure to delight mystery fans and Max Freeman fans alike. Enjoy the ride!
Marsha
Another in the series about the ex Philly cop, this time Max is drawn into an investigation which implicates a fellow former home town cop and acquaintence in the murder of female bartenders.

The abuse of power,the perception of guilt and the pull of old relationships are strong themes in this interesting mystery.
Ramon Dearmas
Great book and have to say this is my second author behind John Connoly very good and descriptive! Gave this author to another avid book reader as myself and he was impressed as well, this is my second book of his.

The author brings the glades to real life!

Keeps you coming back for more....
Barbara
Another great read!! Jonathon King knows how to keep you turning those pages! I think he will rate right up there with Michael Connelly, Harlen Coben,Robert Crais and Robert Parker!! Love fighting crime with Max Freeman!!
Barbara B.
I sometimes sound like I am in a rut, but I sure do like these authors that have an interesting character to follow................and this book was no exception! And the story line was really good, too!
John Melendez
How fun is it for a defense attorney to keep his office in his black Lincoln with a convicted person working off his jail time? Your client screams innocent and your gut tells you she did it.
Victoria
The first Max Freeman novel I've read. I enjoyed it, but had to read the synopsis to remember what it was about a week or so later. I did enjoy the Florida Everglades venue.
Joe O'c
Very Good; Continuing character: Max Freeman; someone in law enforcement is killing female bartenders and Freeman look to track him down
Jim Moore
Great book he is close to James Lee Burke.
Merri
Merri marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Adrian Aguilar
Adrian Aguilar marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Colette
Colette marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Gail
Gail marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Thewalkinglexicon
Thewalkinglexicon marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Greg Rutt
Greg Rutt marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Night Vision
  • Getting Old Is Tres Dangereux (Gladdy Gold, #6)
  • Miami, It's Murder (Britt Montero, #2)
  • A Deadly Row (A Mystery By The Numbers, #1)
  • Tropical Freeze (Thorn, #2)
  • Goodbye, Dolly (Gretchen Birch, #2)
  • Sorrow's Anthem (Lincoln Perry Series #2)
  • The Act of Roger Murgatroyd: An Entertainment
  • Black River (Frank Corso, #2)
  • A Question of Death: An Illustrated Phryne Fisher Treasury
  • A Nose for Justice
  • The Man Who Fought Alone
  • Der Tote vom Strand. (Inspector Van Veeteren #8)
  • Badlands (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #4)
  • Heaven's Prisoners (Dave Robicheaux, #2)
  • Unfit to Practice
  • Blackening Song (Ella Clah, #1)
  • Twelve Mile Limit
Edgar-award winning author Jonathon King is the creator of the Max Freeman crime series set in the Everglades and on the hard streets of urban South Florida. In his previous career as a journalist, he was a police and court reporter for 24 years with the Sun-Sentinel in Fort Lauderdale and the Philadelphia Daily News.

More about Jonathon King...
The Blue Edge of Midnight (Max Freeman, #1) A Visible Darkness (Max Freeman, #2) Shadow Men (Max Freeman, #3) Acts of Nature (Max Freeman, #5) Eye of Vengeance