Start by marking “The Light Keeper's Legacy (Chloe Ellefson Mystery #3)” as Want to Read:
The Light Keeper's Legacy (Chloe Ellefson Mystery #3)

The Light Keeper's Legacy (Chloe Ellefson Mystery #3)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  210 ratings  ·  72 reviews
Past and Present Collide Beyond Death's Door

Solitude at last! Museum curator Chloe Ellefson leaps at the opportunity to be a consultant for the historic lighthouse restoration project on Rock Island, a state park in Wisconsin's scenic Door County. Hoping to leave her personal and professional problems at home, Chloe's tranquility is suddenly spoiled when a dead woman washe
Published October 2012 by Midnight Ink (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Light Keeper's Legacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Light Keeper's Legacy

Lucy Saint-smith
It isn't often that I write a review without having finished the book, but I found this book tedious, and having stopped reading it over the summer I have decided not to bother going back to it.
It is a mystery book with two parallel sections - one in the 1980s and one in the 19th century. The main character in the 1980s is a curator, hired to put together a display in a lighthouse in North America. She is quite annoying and her methodology is questionable (I say this as someone with a backgrou
LJ
Jul 20, 2014 LJ rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Chloe Ellefson is a special collections professional who is spending a week at the historic Pottawatomie lighthouse on Rock Island to research furnishings for the RISC (Rock Island Support Circle). This group of dedicated volunteers is in the process of restoring the lighthouse with the hope that it will soon be open for visitors. Chloe looks forward to leaving behind some drama at the place where she works, Old World Wisconsin and drama in her private life, with an undefined romantic relationsh ...more
Joyce
History and mystery is a good combination that Kathleen Ernst does a nice job of in “The Light Keeper's Legacy”, and her message of preserving all aspects of history, from all viewpoints is important.

Alternate chapters go back in time to the 1800s, telling the stories of the inhabitants of Rock Island; tidbits of the the keepers lives of Pottawatomie Lighthouse and the surrounding fishing village. Curator Chloe Ellefson is happy to be loaned out to investigate an old lighthouse, until her trip t
LORI CASWELL
Museum curator Chloe Ellefson leaps at the opportunity to be a consultant for the historical lighthouse restoration project on Rock Island. She needs a little time to herself and the tranquility of the Door County state park seems perfect. She will be able to sort through her personal and professionals problems while she attacks the assignment given to her by RISC, the Rock Island Support Circle.

The idyllic place loses its luster though when a dead woman washes ashore below the lighthouse. Now i
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
Well, this book has a little bit of everything - present day mystery, historical mystery, and just a little bit of ESP, so I labeled it with paranormal. :)

Chloe goes to Rock Island to stay at a lighthouse for a week to study it's history. As she becomes enmeshed in the history, the author runs a parallel story that takes place in the late 1800's, giving the book two mysteries unfolding throughout the course of the book.

The writing is excellent, and I found myself pulled into the past story line
Nancy
Chloe Ellefson, curator of collections for Old World Wisconsin, is asked to be a consultant for a possible restoration project for Pottawatomie Lighthouse in Rock Island, Wisconsin. Still unsure of her feelings for Officer Roelke McKenna and frustrated by her boss's constant meddling, Chloe jumps at the chance for week-long solitude at the lighthouse. Just as Chloe arrives, however, she finds a woman's corpse washed ashore. Chloe soon finds herself determined, especially when a second woman is f ...more
Sara
I picked this up at a tiny bookstore on Washington Island because I love getting books on vacation by local authors. Turns out, the author lives in Middleton so she's more local in regards to my apartment than Door County. No matter, the mystery takes place on Rock Island which is a mile off the tip of Washington Island and the main character is a curator so I was still well satisfied as far as learning some history of the place I'd just been.

The writing and story were surprisingly good! Now tha
Cathy Cole
First Line: "This trip of yours is a very bad idea," Roelke said soberly.

It's 1982, and against her boyfriend Roelke McKenna's better judgment, Chloe Ellefson loads her Pinto (including the copy of A Is for Alibi that Roelke gave her) and heads for Rock Island State Park off the coast of Wisconsin in Lake Michigan. Her expertise as a collections curator is needed by the folks who want to bring Pottawatomie Lighthouse back to life for all its visitors.

It's good that she's needed elsewhere because
Elizabeth
This is the third book in the Chloe Ellefson mystery series and so far, I liked this one the best.

I loved learning about Rock Island! It makes me want to visit there someday.

I also loved how just about every other chapter was the story of two women on the island during the 1870's-1910. Emily Betts and Ragna Anderson's stories are very important connections to the present stories.

Of course Chloe can't go anywhere without finding a dead body or two!

I liked Chloe's character best in this book. The
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Book Three in this excellent series 'A Chloe Ellefson Mystery' finds out historian and museum curator, Chloe Ellefson working as a consultant for the 'historic lighthouse restoration project on Rock Island, Wisconsin.'

The restoration of the lighthouse has finally reached the point where they need Chloe's expertise in furnishing and telling of the lives of the historic edifice. Although, Chloe hasn't yet put a decade to focus upon, she finds herself drawn to a photograph of a former wife and ass
Karen morsecode
Chloe Ellefson, curator of collections for Old World Wisconsin, is hoping for a respite from her overcomplicated work and personal life when she accepts a week-long consulting gig at another Wisconsin historic site. Rock Island State Park's rustic charm is just the thing Chloe needs to unwind. But, when she discovers a dead body on her first night on the island, it's clear that Chloe has more to worry about than just preparing a furnishing plan for the site's historic lighthouse.

The Light Keepe
Biblio Files
I can't remember why I read the first book in this mystery series about a curator at an open air history museum in Wisconsin. It takes place in 1982, the main character is a tightly wound 32 year old woman just off a bad relationship, and she's taken a job in a new town to make a fresh start. The romantic interest is a tightly wound cop on the local small town police force. That book was Old World Murder. I have no particular interest in Wisconsin or its history, and I've been to one open air mu ...more
Mary
Having walked the same steps of the antagonist, Chloe Ellefson, I too have sensed the calling of stories left untold. The history of Rock Island and the Pottawatomi light hold secrets left behind by those that fished the waters and tended the light; challenges, rules and regulations, traditions, hopes and dreams. Ernst elegantly weaves these secrets through the past and present with such visualization that one can almost smell the woodsmoke from the little cottages that dotted the shores of the ...more
Susan
Curator Chloe Ellefson is lent to a project on Rock Island where a volunteer group wants to rehab a lighthouse on a state park. She encounters few people on the quiet island, but does find a drowned woman. Even that does not deter Chloe, who longs for solitude and the chance to think about her life. But both her work and thought are disturbed by her growing perception that something strange happened among the fishermen who lived on the island in the 1880's, and by the discovery of another body. ...more
Quinn
I picked up this book from the library shelf because of its setting on Rock Island in Wisconsin. It was an interesting story about a historian that is brought to the lighthouse on Rock Island. Along the way she becomes immersed in learning about the life on this island starting around 1865. A parallel story is told with the people from 1865 forward. Nice blending of the historical elements and telling of the conflicts with fishing regulations and fishermen that still continues to present time.
Kathleen
Set on Rock Island, off the coast of Wisconsin on Lake Michigan, this novel (part of a series involving museum curator Chloe Ellefson?) successfully weaves mysteries of the early 1980’s to those of 100+ years ago. The reader will learn much about the painstaking research of the museum curator (and the need for extensive funding to support it) along with the commitment and work of those responsible for conserving land and natural resources. The stories, skillfully told, of the early immigrants re ...more
AmniconStudio
I've read the first two books in this series and this third book did not disappoint.

I was pulled into the story right away and read it in less than a week. I probably would have finished it sooner, but most of my spare time right now is going toward a different project.

The author has a wonderful way of weaving two stories into one book and when you are done reading the book you see how they tie together. It's an interesting way to learn a piece of history of Wisconsin as well.

The main characte
Joan Colby
This book is the best of the Chloe Elefson mysteries so far. The description of the actual Rock Island, the activities of the light keepers over the ages, and Chloe’s proposed romance, as well as a likely list of suspects makes this a compelling read.The interwoven story of Ragna from the 1870’s plays well against the current one. I will except the conclusion which seems a bit convoluted.
Liz
Really enjoying this series. Like the protagonist, and the settings. Now I want to spend some time visiting the areas in Wisconsin used in the books. I also like that there is development in the characters in each book, that they are not static. I had started by reading the first for a book group and am now looking forward to reading the fourth installment.
Jules
This is good; not the world's best mystery book, but it has a plot that moves along and has a great sense of history. The main character, Chloe, has the same personality that irked me in the first two books of the series, but I can look past that. (And, it's nice when a character is alive enough on the page to elicit such an opinion about them, right?) Overall, this series is a nice solid read and I'm happy I discovered it.
Beth Turza
The 3rd in the Cloe mystery series, the Light Keeper's Legacy takes Cloe out of her beloved Old World Wisconsin historical village and to a remote island lighthouse to catalog and suggest how best to interpret the site as a museum. Like her other books, Kathleen takes the reader through a dual time period as we visit the late 19th century and the lives of two women who lived on the island, on the light keepers wife, and the other a poor fishermans wife. Cloe tries to solve a mystery during their ...more
Julia
Chloe Ellefson leaves Old World Wisconsin in this story and heads to Wisconsin's Door County to live as a consultant for a week at an historic lighthouse on Rock Island. Accessible only by boat, Chloe is cut off from the real world and able to immerse herself in the historical nature of her job by reading former lighthouse keeper's journals. A dead body in the present leads to Ernst's interspersing the tale of new immigrants to the fishing world of the island in the 1800's, with secrets of their ...more
Jessi
Chloe Ellefson has landed smack dab in the middle of another mystery, this time on a mostly deserted island. She was chosen to be a consulting curator at the lighthouse on Rock Island. While there, she stumbles over in-fighting, historical mysteries, and a couple of bodies.
Intertwined with the "modern" (1980's) story is one from the founding of the island. Another murder occured and the characters Harrison creates are just as vibrant and more compelling than those of the 80's.
(view spoiler)
Paula
I am enjoying the characters in these books, but this one had so much about fishing laws that I felt a bit bogged down......will continue reading the series since the areas in the book are so familiar to me.
Susan Banner
A new series to add to my list. Fine summer entertainment.
Marianne
Too many people and two different stories.
Marilyn
Great history, great characters, good mystery!!
Ann
Chloe Ellefson travels to Rock Island State Park to work as a consultant on their lighthouse restoration project. Her job requires that she spend a week alone to research the lighthouse and its history. Her first day ends when she finds the body of a woman snagged among fishnets on the beach. Chloe digs into the history of the island and seems to feel that the answers to the woman's death lie in the past. This is a good series. I enjoy Chloe and Ms. Ernst weaves a very fine tale combining histor ...more
Rebekah
good summer read.
Tam
A lot of time has passed since I read the last book in the series, taking some time to re-read it probably would've helped me get my bearings. But the plot was good, although I admit that it distracts me when the story flips between a past mystery and a current time mystery. But that's just me and my ADHD-addled attention span. Both mysteries were interesting although I felt the conclusion to the Ragna mystery felt a little rushed. It was a good read, though, I couldn't put it down.
  • Drop Dead on Recall  (Animals in Focus, #1)
  • To Love and To Perish (Broken Vows, #4)
  • Sleight of Paw (Magical Cats, #2)
  • Picture Perfect Corpse (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #7)
  • Wicked Eddies (An RM Outdoor Adventures Mystery #2)
  • Quilt or Innocence (A Southern Quilting Mystery, #1)
  • If Mashed Potatoes Could Dance (Gram’s Country Cooking School Mystery #2)
  • Fire Engine Dead (Museum, #3)
  • The Big Kitty (Sunny & Shadow Mystery, #1)
  • January Thaw
  • Deadly Patterns (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #3)
  • Dharma Road: A Short Cab Ride to Self Discovery
  • Pickle in the Middle Murder (A Shay O'Hanlon Caper, #3)
  • Behind the Dream: The Making of the Speech that Transformed a Nation
  • Grace Among Thieves (Manor House Mystery, #3)
  • Out of the Frying Pan (Poppy Markham: Culinary Cop, #3)
  • Shark Fin Soup
  • Beauty to Die For: A Spa Mystery
I grew up in Maryland, in a house full of books! Both of my parents were avid readers, thank goodness. Before we traveled to a new area, my librarian-mom used to bring home historical novels set in that place. It was a great way to get excited about history.

I began writing stories when I was maybe 10 or 11. At 15 I wrote my first novel; I sold my first novel to a publisher 20 years later! Writing
More about Kathleen Ernst...
Danger at the Zoo: A Kit Mystery (American Girl Mysteries (Quality)) Meet Caroline (American Girls: Caroline, #1) Old World Murder (A Chloe Ellefson Mystery #1) Trouble at Fort Lapointe (American Girl History Mysteries, #7) Caroline's Secret Message (American Girls: Caroline, #2)