Shadow (New Species, #9)

Shadow (New Species #9)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  5,261 ratings  ·  295 reviews
Beauty resents being labeled Gift Species. Everyone is way too overprotective, males aren’t even allowed to speak to her and so far true freedom eludes her. Then a big, sexy Species officer mistakes her for the enemy and takes her to the ground.

Shadow is dumbfounded. He has a Gift pinned under him—a big no-no. But Beauty is fascinated and wants to know Shadow a lot better...more
Published October 30th 2012 by Ellora's Cave

Ashen
Well, I don't know about everyone else, but I loved this book. Beauty was awesome- the right blend of quiet and strength. And for some reason, I don't know why, I have discovered an obsession for Leo. I really don't know why, since he is only mentioned about three times in this book, but I adore him. He is mine, do you hear me? He. Is. Mine.
Valiant has warned them sternly to avoid this area. He keeps them in control for the most part. Leo is also good with intimidation. He’s a wild bastard thou...more
Sammy
Beauty has spent her life in captivity...

locked away

Only brought out of her basement dungeon when "Master" needed her to please him sexually. Her guards referred to her as Mud. But she was a Gift. Gifts were New species that were genetically altered with animal DNA. They were developed to be sexual companions and they are beautiful. Beauty was created with Primate DNA.

beauty standing

The Gifts that have been rescued are treated like fine china. They are not allowed to interact with any males and not are not even allowed t...more
 ~*~Princess Nhya~*~
I loved this one! I wasn't quite sure how I was going to feel about the pairing with Shadow & Beauty, but I must say these two are just beautiful together. I loved that this one is about a Species Female pairing this time and not our past books in this series where they are all about the Species Males & human females.

"What do you need? Tell me. It's yours." -Shadow *sighs*
Photobucket

Just because Beauty is alot more vulnerable than her female species counterparts, does in no way cancel out her abil...more
Ruth
Jun 12, 2012 Ruth marked it as to-read
I can't wait to read Shadow's book. I heard on Laurann's blog that Shadow will be with Beauty (a gift female). Both have been hurt and it will be great to read how each of them overcome their insecurities.
Elaine
4.5 stars.

Oh! I was so excited when the Kindle edition of this book was released on October 29! I started reading and finished it fast.

Characters introduced in earlier books come together in this latest Species book. This is definitely an erotic romance, but I would say that this particular book is a little lighter on the erotic and heavier on the story side. And that's not a bad thing.

There are many issues that arise in this story. Beauty, a Gift species, was previously held as a possession, a...more
Ladymcbeth
Jenny
Sep 07, 2012 Jenny marked it as to-read
The cover!!! Love it!

Kay Reed
Shadow is a very damaged new species due to the experiments done to him. He has survived but at what cost. He finds his mate and realizes that life has meaning and purpose.
Laura Wright
LOVED the first 3/4 so much. Last 1/4 slowed down so much I became frustrated. Shadow and Beauty were lovely characters though!
PJ
I absolutely loved Laurann Dohner's New Species series! That said Shadow and Beauty's story was my least favorite. It's not that I didn't like it, it just didn't hold my interest as much. Still, it shouldn't be skipped, as it builds up the tension to Moon, the last story, so far, in the New Species series. And Moon may just be my favorite.

I definitely recommend the NS series to paranormal-rom fans: the Males are hot and strong and speak English as if it's their second language and the human fema...more
Rebecca ♥ Kishan & Warner ♥
I loved this book! I definitely enjoyed it more than Tiger, and possibly even more tha Justice. So the best, or second best of the series so far. At first, I thought people would try to give them a hard time because she is a Gift. But after that initial mix up, once Beauty told Breeze that she was actually interested in Shadow, everyone did everything possible to help make it work for them. They gave Beauty and Shadow all the time and space they needed to get to know each other. It was so easy f...more
Twilla
Excellent story. Laurann Dohner I love you.
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

Posted on Under the Covers

Beauty is a Gift, which means that she is treated with the utmost respect and reverence. Many give her a wide berth because they know of her traumatic past. As a survivor of a brutal captivity, Beauty shows her strength in a way that is quiet, but very much noticeable and admirable. I really liked Beauty’s character because even though she is scared beyond her wits, she is still able to keep her head on straight. I loved the way she was able to stand up to cer...more
R.E. Butler
Ah, Shadow...be still my heart. I loved him in Wrath's book. So vulenerable and sweet. Is there anything better than a hot guy with a wounded heart? Me thinks not!

I also loved Beauty, who we met in Justice's book. I was surprised she was the first female species picked to be headlined in a book, but it actually makes sense. The females, by nature, are not looking for mates, so it would be a stretch to have a female pick up with a male since they're both so dominant. Enter Beauty, one of the rare...more
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
Nov 03, 2012 ♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Paranormal Romance lovers
Finally a story with a Gifted female with a New Species male. Beauty is a primate and easily mistaken as a human. She's right that she's still being treated like a prisoner even though she's been freed. I'm a bit startled how much they wrap her up in bubble wrap. It's a bit depressing. She's pissed about it and I can totally understand it. Who wouldn't be pissed being treated like a stupid child?

Fortunately, Shadow doesn't think she's a stupid child. He is hesitant but good think for Beauty. She...more
Bobbi
Shadow is the newest installment in the New Species world. I fall in love (and in some cases, lust) with all of the hereos in this series. They all have an irresistable quality, different for each male, that makes every one of them vulnerable in some way.
This book opens with what happens in the van after Beauty is rescued in Justice's book, and then jumps right into the story line. There is a beautiful, but heartbreaking, innocence for both Shadow and Beauty in this book (even though both are vi...more
Bea
This is one of the better written books in dealing with the relationship. Also, while there is hot sex, there is not too much.

That being said, the conflict did not seem very solved by the end of the book. There is the ongoing "bad guys" of the series, but nothing ever really comes to a head.

What was nice is seeing this Gift kick ass when she had to and we did not see her as a victim or a stereotype. I will say that both of their psychological problems were too easily solved.

So, better than the r...more
Alex is The Romance Fox
I discovered this series by chance and am I glad I did – I could say I have become totally addicted to the New Species World. Crazy, really!! I finish one book and can’t wait to start the next!!!
New Species Rock!!!

So amazing to finally have a story where both mc’s are species. A relationship between a male Species and a gift species female. Totally captivated me.

Shadow and Beauty are the most endearing and lovable couple.
 photo images18_zps9189ee00.jpg

Both with pasts filled with sadness, cruelty and never experienced lov...more
Angela
Love this series! So great anytime I can get back into the New Species world! This one was a little different with the gift female instead of a human. It was interesting to see that side of it and catch up with Beauty who I remembered from Jessie's book. It was nice to see how her and Shadow are able to overcome their pasts together. It was not my favorite in this series but still really good. I love NS! I want more!!!!
PepperP0t (ireadthatbook.com)
Yay! A New Species/New Species mating. Freedom doesn't feel so free to rescued Gift Female, Beauty, who longs for a full life similar to her dorm-mates. One that includes men and sex. Gift females are so protected by both male and female New Species that Beauty feels she's just in a better prison. One night Beauty sneaks away and gets caught in a storm and is saved by Shadow who knows he will be seriously reprimanded for spending time alone with Beauty, but he can't resist her plaintive pleas fo...more
Shannon (Savhage Temptrest)
Laurann Dohner has done it again with this kick-a$$ novel based in her New Species series.

We finally get a love story between two New Species as all the males usually prefer human women and the female New Species normally don't want to settle down. Enter Shadow, a New Species male who is on the outskirts of his new found civilization and who is haunted by his past in the Mercile labs, and then there is Beauty, a New Species Gift female who's own past captivity with her "master" has left her lone...more
P.A. Lupton

I can't quite pinpoint what was missing for me in this book. I think it was too easy. I really liked Beauty and Shadow individually, but I don't know if I liked them as a couple so much. It was strange.

I loved that we saw a different side to the Gift females. They always seemed so fragile and broken in the previous books. It was nice to see one bounce back and want to live after everything that happened. I felt bad for her that she went from her prison into a different sort of prison. She was s...more
Sian
Finally, the book i have been waiting for !!!

I loved this from the first page, the fact it was about Beauty just made me even happier.

I loved how sweet Beauty was and i liked that one of the timid Gift females was ready to step out and show a bit of backbone and independance. I was so glad she was ready to live her life. I could understand how she was feeling trapped and lonely with everyone coddling the Gift females, and not have the opportunity the meet any of the male New Species to get over...more
Malinda
4-4.5 stars

This was a really good story. I loved Beauty and Shadow and really enjoyed their story. This one has made it to my second favorite of this series (I can't help it, Valiant is still my fave).

Beauty is a NS (New Species - people that were made in a lab with human DNA merged with animal DNA) female but also has the misfortune of being a "Gift" female (the NS females that were made smaller and weaker than most NS and given away to the financiers of the lab that created them). This meant...more
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://whippedcream2.blogspot.com/201...

There is only one thing that I can say after reading Laurann Dohner's ninth New Species book, and that is 'WOW'. This book grabs you from the start and does not let go of you until the last page is turned, and you are still left panting for more. Shadow can be read as a standalone but to get the full New Species experience I strongly suggest you start with her first book Fury and work your way through.

Beauty at one time was called Mud...more
Dawn
Beauty is a gift female and while the other gift females like all of the protections, Beauty resents it. She feels isolated and lonely. One night after an unwise or maybe wise :-) run in the rain she comes face to face with Shadow. Of course there is instant attraction BUT both Shadow and Gift have a history of sexual abuse. So their road is not easy.

I have to say I liked this story a lot. First it was nice to see a species with another species YAY
and it was equally nice for these two to be so o...more
Betsy
3.5 stars.
I am a committed fan of Laurann Dohner and the New Species. I loved Beauty and Shadow and their story was important to show that New Species are attracted to individuals, not just humans. I was glad for the story line that individuated the Gifts, rather than lumping them as a broken group. I must admit that after 9 books I am tired of Mercile. I am tired of the blindly hateful investors, scientists and red-necks. I appreciate the message that racism and prejudice exists undeterred in t...more
Paula
To me these Species books just keep getting better and better. Hot and super possessive is Shadow. Protective! Beauty, inexperienced, lonely, treated like fragile glass and not a bit happy about it. Both broken and on the mend.Highly highly recommend this whole series to anyone, over the age of 18, who likes to watch the more animalistic side of humanity with an HEA.
Kari
Finally a romance between two Species with no humans involved. It was different in a good way. Beauty was a kickass heroine and Shadow was very sweet.
  • Pursued (Brides of the Kindred, #6)
  • Lyon's Price (Zodiac Cyborgs, #1)
  • Conn (Skin Walkers, #2)
  • Grabbed by Vicious (Grabbed, #1)
  • Capturing Cara (Dragon Lords of Valdier, #2)
  • C791 (Cyborgs: More Than Machines, #1)
  • Something Wicked This Way Comes (Volume #2)
  • The Man Within (Breeds, #2; Feline Breeds, #2)
  • Enemy Mine (Alpha and Omega, #2)
3190846
I had a rather short area here telling a little about me but then I had more than a few people ask me to expand it so... here goes. LOL. I'm a full time home 'supervisor' which is a nice word for saying I'm a housewife. I'm married happily, I met my dream guy 20 years ago, and we have 4 children. I live in Southern California and I can't function without iced coffee. I believe in romance, I've alw...more
More about Laurann Dohner...
Fury (New Species, #1) Valiant (New Species, #3) Slade (New Species, #2) Justice (New Species, #4) Tiger (New Species, #7)

“I’ve never loved before but this has to be it. You are everything I want and need. You make me complete and having you in my arms is the most right thing in my world. Every thought involves you and how to keep you close.” 7 likes
“That's taking team spirit a bit far.” 2 likes