Start by marking “P.G. County” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
P.G. County

Connie Briscoe

P.G. County (P.G. County #1)

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  1,268 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
In the sprawling homes and upscale townhouses of the exclusive, largely African American Prince George’s County, the lives of five women intersect–and the secrets, scandals, loves, and losses that ensue are par for the course where power, beauty, and wealth reside.

Barbara is the most influential woman in this swanky neighborhood, but she’s got her hands full–one hand is bu
Mass Market Paperback, 311 pages
Published 2007 by One World Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about P.G. County, please sign up.

Stacey
Nov 05, 2014 Stacey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookclub
As someone who lives in PG County I was initially very interested to read this book. To say i was underwhelmed would be a huge understatement. I think the book is written relatively well but I found the characters and the story line to be very shallow. I found our book club discussion about the book much more enjoyable than the book itself.
Shawnette
The Pages of a Black Soap Opera

Remember Robert Townsend's soap opera skit entitled, "The Bold, The Black, and The Beautiful"? Well, P.G. County is a longer version of that skit in written form. From the beginning page to its very end, this novel is packed with scandal, infidelity and betrayal, all of the classic elements of a daytime soap opera. Though not the most noteworthy book from a literary perspective, the novel is very entertaining and would be good for anyone looking for a little lighte
Mary Frances
Pointless potboiler with nasty and sad people which does as much damage to the image of well-to-do educated black people as most books do with stereotypical representations of poor uneducated black people. Not to mention the representation of the white family. Yuck. I had read this a few years ago and forgotten it, and I just picked it up out of curiosity. Now I realize why I forgot it. There's so much more to the people of P.G. County.
Martine
Jul 29, 2011 Martine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found out about this book after the sequel came out, so i made sure i found it and read it first! They were both really good, and very descriptive.
Teaguem2005
I was unpleasantly surprised by the lackluster tale of the wonen in PG County. Between the racism, color struck talk, and class distinction I was at a loss. The worst scene was when a mother yelled out "she's not white so please stop saying that" at one of the most inopportune times imaginable. That scene was sooooo incredibly stupid I just shook my head as I struggled to keep reading. The fact that discovering your grandparent was of a diifferent race than originally thought could change who yo ...more
Tamika Johnson
I think it was a page turner but it was very predictable and a bit shallow . I did not like the "Lee" story line. Felt like some type of forced character for the book. And the way it ended with a little over the top. Overall it was ok at best.
Miss Lily
I "read" the Audio CD version, and the narrator most certainly did the book justice. I picked it up from the shelves (in Centreville, VA, in Fairfax County) because I've lived in P.G. County-- albeit not in a community like Silver Lake! I thought Ms. Briscoe's take on the local environment was pretty darn accurate, how there are some very posh areas, and some very violent and run-down areas, and the separation between them isn't all that far. The scandal, infidelity, gossip, and small-town, inte ...more
Jennifer Alexander Reynolds
There is nothing new in this book. The story of riches, affairs, betrayal, attraction, and interracial love have been the subjects of many books. The only caveat is that this story takes place in a very affluent African-American neighborhood. This book was a quick read and most of the characters were likable. Connie Briscoe does a great job of delving into the background of these characters but the ending was less than stellar.
Afrijewel
Dec 29, 2008 Afrijewel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was definitely a big change for Connie Briscoe. I read Sisters and Lovers but P.G. County is on an entirely different level. I went to college in Baltimore, MD and remember the students representing Prince George's County and let me tell you. Connie Briscoe hit it on the nail plus she lives in Maryland.
Treasure
While I appreciate the novelty of her book-- upper middle class and wealthy African American women-- it was unbelievable and unconvincing, with a ridiculous ending. I think if she had pushed the drama even further, more Dynasty-esque, than at least it would have been frothy and fun. This was a mix of unbelievable drama and hubris, and the didactic attempts ruined the fun for me.
Sharon
Feb 26, 2009 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like drama.....this book has it!! Also read the sequel Can't Get Enough.
Vanessa
Jan 07, 2009 Vanessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My DC roots really allow me to relate to this novel.
Keya
Mar 02, 2013 Keya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was okay a quick read. It did show me a different side of Prince George's County look at Dallas type twists and a rushed ending.
Hannah
Briscoe has a gift for introducing characters in snippets and leaving the reader wanting more. I admire the inclusion of Lee and the difference of her life from that of the other main characters. I give this three stars because the hubris of Jolene and the substance problems of Barbara make the story less fun to read than its sequel. (Although, to be fair, Jolene's hubris is a problem throughout the series.) The new friendship between Pearl and Patrick is very sweet, and comes across more innoce ...more
Ari
Dec 20, 2016 Ari rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
I thought it was sort of strange that the author delved into the relationships everyone had with their children except for Barbara. Her children were mostly MIA and I would have preferred the relationships of each mother and child to be explored explored or the women to exist as characters with little mention of their children. Consistency. The flashbacks to the past were disjointed, the transitions were smooth but when coming out of the past the transition back to the present was clunky. I also ...more
Shannon
Jan 02, 2014 Shannon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
One word can describe the book - scandalous. But when I read the synopsis, I expected as much. The book is full of characters with questionable priorities who perpetuate stereotypes. Talk about keeping up appearances and being defined by possessions!

It’s been years since I’ve read any books that fit this mold, but with several main characters, all of whose lives are intertwined, I certainly didn’t get bored. One woman ignores her husband's infidelity because she doesn’t want to give up her luxu
Heather
Jan 19, 2017 Heather rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Debbie J
P.G. County provides juicy fun in a message-sending story; that is, no matter how low you rank on the social totem pole, you can always find someone to look down on. Assuming your ego needs such propping…

I liked how author Connie Briscoe introduces the characters although she does deliver most of them right away. At first I found all the names tough to manage.

There’s a ridiculously soap opera-ish denouement--which includes a character (view spoiler)
Rakisha
Aug 14, 2008 Rakisha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle-aged & up black women looking for light reads
Recommended to Rakisha by: Abby West
If you enjoyed Peyton Place (which is on my to-read list), you'll enjoy the trashy and entertaining P.G. County. It tells the tales of the upper-class Blacks of Prince George's County, Maryland and those who strive to be upper class. P.G. County is full of family secrets, back stabbing, love triangles, affairs, and crime. It's a guilty pleasure. (If you're curious about classism and colorism among African-Americans, you'll find this book even more fasicnating. If you like P.G. County but want be ...more
Jillian
Aug 31, 2008 Jillian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone who needs a quick read for the beach
Okay, so I've read a number of her books before, but this one seems more "lit-light" than others. It was entertaining, but rather soapy, and the ending was predictable. Also, there were parts of the ending that seemed totally unrealistic, to the point that I found myself rolling my eyes towards the end. Again, an entertaining book to some degree but not a heavy lift by any means. I would have liked a bit more depth.
Cathy
Jul 13, 2012 Cathy rated it it was ok
Shelves: listened
It was an alright book, I think I was expecting something more. I don't know what more I was expecting, but more. The story didn't hold my attention from the beginning and took me a while to get into it. The ending left me underwhelmed and I felt like it shouldn't have ended that way. The Lee story line kept throwing me off. I forgot about that character and then she would pop up again. She wasn't that memorable to me.
Sep 15, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. It was an interesting story line, but if you are really familiar with PG County and how much it changes within a few miles (huge fancy houses in Mitchellville to ghetto) you'll really take this book to heart. I'm not usually into soap opera like books, but this definitely held my interest. I think I read it all in one sitting.
Tiana Freeman
This was an alright book. It was a struggle at first with so many different stories, but I knew eventually they would all connect. You know it's good writing when you can truly dislike a character. You wait and hope that the character gets what they deserve, but you have to keep reading to find out. I just wish the story ended a bit differently, with more information.
Susie
Aug 15, 2009 Susie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Have to say I'm a bit embarrassed I read this book. My mom handed it down awhile ago and I should have known it wasn't really my style - too romancey for me. Although I have to say I finished the whole thing because I wanted to see what happened to the characters!
Phano
Jul 22, 2009 Phano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story of riches, affairs, betrayal, attraction, and interracial love . P.G. County A Novel
Renetsimone
Aug 02, 2016 Renetsimone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Looking for more from this author!

This was an excellent read. Kept me guessing with the twist and turns. Great writing style building the characters. Would recommend to my book club.
Diana
Mar 18, 2011 Diana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Story with 5 main characters. Four of these are African-American and the other one finds out she had a great grandfather who was African American. The story is kind of a little "Peyton Place." At the end, I thought....is this all there is to this story???
Diane
Jun 12, 2016 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book long time ago. Good book.
Readmore Wynn
Mar 15, 2012 Readmore Wynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun Read!
Loved the drama and the highs and lows.

Can't wait to get the sequel.
James-lisa
May 23, 2012 James-lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book I think it would make a wonderful movie and I feel like it would make a true statement into what black women are really like.
Multi-cultural 1 9 Dec 11, 2008 06:39AM
  • A Love of My Own
  • Lil Mama's Rules
  • Second Sunday
  • Scenes from a Sistah
CONNIE BRISCOE has been a full-time published author for more than ten years. Born with a hearing impairment, Connie never allowed that to stop her from pursuing her dreams…writing. Since she left the world of editing to become a writer, Connie has hit the New York Times, Chicago Tribune, Washington Post, Boston Globe, Boston Herald, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly bestseller lists.
More about Connie Briscoe...

P.G. County (2 books)