Nocover-blank-133x176
P.G. County

Connie Briscoe

P.G. County (P.G. County #1)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  750 ratings  ·  46 reviews
In the sprawling homes and upscale townhouses of the exclusive, largely African American Prince George’s County, the lives of five women intersect–and the secrets, scandals, loves, and losses that ensue are par for the course where power, beauty, and wealth reside.

Barbara is the most influential woman in this swanky neighborhood, but she’s got her hands full–one hand is bu...more
Mass Market Paperback, 311 pages
Published 2007 by One World Books (first published 2002)

Mary Frances
Pointless potboiler with nasty and sad people which does as much damage to the image of well-to-do educated black people as most books do with stereotypical representations of poor uneducated black people. Not to mention the representation of the white family. Yuck. I had read this a few years ago and forgotten it, and I just picked it up out of curiosity. Now I realize why I forgot it. There's so much more to the people of P.G. County.
Shawnette
The Pages of a Black Soap Opera

Remember Robert Townsend's soap opera skit entitled, "The Bold, The Black, and The Beautiful"? Well, P.G. County is a longer version of that skit in written form. From the beginning page to its very end, this novel is packed with scandal, infidelity and betrayal, all of the classic elements of a daytime soap opera. Though not the most noteworthy book from a literary perspective, the novel is very entertaining and would be good for anyone looking for a little lighte...more
Jennifer Alexander Reynolds
There is nothing new in this book. The story of riches, affairs, betrayal, attraction, and interracial love have been the subjects of many books. The only caveat is that this story takes place in a very affluent African-American neighborhood. This book was a quick read and most of the characters were likable. Connie Briscoe does a great job of delving into the background of these characters but the ending was less than stellar.
Vanessa
My DC roots really allow me to relate to this novel.
Casta
I "read" the Audio CD version, and the narrator most certainly did the book justice. I picked it up from the shelves (in Centreville, VA, in Fairfax County) because I've lived in P.G. County-- albeit not in a community like Silver Lake! I thought Ms. Briscoe's take on the local environment was pretty darn accurate, how there are some very posh areas, and some very violent and run-down areas, and the separation between them isn't all that far. The scandal, infidelity, gossip, and small-town, inte...more
Italithia
One of my guilty pleasures. Soap opera story for the after hours. Entertaining if nothing else.
Teaguem2005
I was unpleasantly surprised by the lackluster tale of the wonen in PG County. Between the racism, color struck talk, and class distinction I was at a loss. The worst scene was when a mother yelled out "she's not white so please stop saying that" at one of the most inopportune times imaginable. That scene was sooooo incredibly stupid I just shook my head as I struggled to keep reading. The fact that discovering your grandparent was of a diifferent race than originally thought could change who yo...more
Rakisha
Aug 25, 2008 Rakisha rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: middle-aged & up black women looking for light reads
Recommended to Rakisha by: Abby West
If you enjoyed Peyton Place (which is on my to-read list), you'll enjoy the trashy and entertaining P.G. County. It tells the tales of the upper-class Blacks of Prince George's County, Maryland and those who strive to be upper class. P.G. County is full of family secrets, back stabbing, love triangles, affairs, and crime. It's a guilty pleasure. (If you're curious about classism and colorism among African-Americans, you'll find this book even more fasicnating. If you like P.G. County but want be...more
Cathy
It was an alright book, I think I was expecting something more. I don't know what more I was expecting, but more. The story didn't hold my attention from the beginning and took me a while to get into it. The ending left me underwhelmed and I felt like it shouldn't have ended that way. The Lee story line kept throwing me off. I forgot about that character and then she would pop up again. She wasn't that memorable to me.
Jillian
Sep 02, 2008 Jillian rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: someone who needs a quick read for the beach
Okay, so I've read a number of her books before, but this one seems more "lit-light" than others. It was entertaining, but rather soapy, and the ending was predictable. Also, there were parts of the ending that seemed totally unrealistic, to the point that I found myself rolling my eyes towards the end. Again, an entertaining book to some degree but not a heavy lift by any means. I would have liked a bit more depth.
Treasure
While I appreciate the novelty of her book-- upper middle class and wealthy African American women-- it was unbelievable and unconvincing, with a ridiculous ending. I think if she had pushed the drama even further, more Dynasty-esque, than at least it would have been frothy and fun. This was a mix of unbelievable drama and hubris, and the didactic attempts ruined the fun for me.
I really liked this book. It was an interesting story line, but if you are really familiar with PG County and how much it changes within a few miles (huge fancy houses in Mitchellville to ghetto) you'll really take this book to heart. I'm not usually into soap opera like books, but this definitely held my interest. I think I read it all in one sitting.
Afrijewel
This book was definitely a big change for Connie Briscoe. I read Sisters and Lovers but P.G. County is on an entirely different level. I went to college in Baltimore, MD and remember the students representing Prince George's County and let me tell you. Connie Briscoe hit it on the nail plus she lives in Maryland.
Susie
Have to say I'm a bit embarrassed I read this book. My mom handed it down awhile ago and I should have known it wasn't really my style - too romancey for me. Although I have to say I finished the whole thing because I wanted to see what happened to the characters!
Diana
Story with 5 main characters. Four of these are African-American and the other one finds out she had a great grandfather who was African American. The story is kind of a little "Peyton Place." At the end, I thought....is this all there is to this story???
Phano
The story of riches, affairs, betrayal, attraction, and interracial love . P.G. County A Novel
Kellea
This was a great book. Connie Briscoe knows how to write from novels about the Black middle class and always puts a twist on it. I can't wait to read her new book, Sisters and Husbands.
April Rhodes
Pretty good read (IMO)..it's a little out of whack if you know Prince George's County, MD. It's kind of predictable but it's a page turner nonetheless. I'd recommend it! :)
La Tonya
I will admit that it was torture in the beginning but it turned out to be a really good read. This book has a lot of drama. The surprises are worth the read.
Ms Bryan
This book was a true page turner. An easy read with a lot of hometown shout outs to the DC Metropolitan area. The author really captured the essence of PG.
Jessica Smith
Such a good book. Shows how Maryland really is. And how people really classify themselves above and beyond because they live in certain parts of PG County.
Sharonbrown
familiar story line -- only this is set in the most affluent county in the country with black characters and problems, issues and melodrama... quick read.
Martine
I found out about this book after the sequel came out, so i made sure i found it and read it first! They were both really good, and very descriptive.
James-lisa
I love this book I think it would make a wonderful movie and I feel like it would make a true statement into what black women are really like.
Andrea Johnson pack
Great read! Loved each character and how they intertwined. But the ending could've been so much better! She did leave me wanting more, I'll admit!
Aisha
A pretty good story. The characters were introduced well & developed slowly. I didn't like the ending at all. Too much left unresolved.
Keya
This book was okay a quick read. It did show me a different side of Prince George's County look at Dallas type twists and a rushed ending.
Cheryl
Good Fictional Story Line Read. I read the EPUB version of this book! So of course my cover did not match!
Tamieka
this book was full of drama! I loved it. The sequel wasn't that great though, when u compare the two
Chella
This book had some drama like the soaps and I loved every minute of it! I love Connie Briscoe!by
Multi-cultural 1 9 Dec 11, 2008 06:39AM
  • Scenes from a Sistah
  • Abide With Me
  • Good Hair
  • Let the Church Say Amen
CONNIE BRISCOE has been a full-time published author for more than ten years. Born with a hearing impairment, Connie never allowed that to stop her from pursuing her dreams…writing. Since she left the world of editing to become a writer, Connie has hit the New York Times, Chicago Tribune, Washington Post, Boston Globe, Boston Herald, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly bestseller lists.
More about Connie Briscoe...
Big Girls Don't Cry Sisters & Lovers Can't Get Enough A Long Way from Home Sisters & Husbands