Start by marking “The Assassin and the Empire (Throne of Glass, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Assassin and the Empire (Throne of Glass, #0.5)

The Assassin and the Empire (Throne of Glass 0.5)

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  8,209 ratings  ·  678 reviews
Celaena Sardothien is the assassin with everything: a place to call her own, the love of handsome Sam, and, best of all, freedom. Yet, she won’t be truly free until she is far away from her old master, Arobynn Hamel; Celaena must take one last daring assignment that will liberate her forever. But having it all, means you have a lot to lose . . .

This fourth fantastic e-nov
Published July 20th 2012 by Bloomsbury USA Children's

To ask other readers questions about The Assassin and the Empire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Assassin and the Empire

Free Four by Veronica RothDestroy Me by Tahereh MafiHana by Lauren OliverGlitches by Marissa MeyerSummer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa
YA Short Stories and Novellas
18th out of 522 books — 1,032 voters
Graceling by Kristin CashoreThrone of Glass by Sarah J. MaasPoison Study by Maria V. SnyderThe Way of Shadows by Brent WeeksGrave Mercy by Robin LaFevers
Books With Heroes/Heroines Who Are Assassins
45th out of 639 books — 2,752 voters

More lists with this book...

Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Magnus ♥
I am so angry right now I dont even know if I wanna read Throne of Glass any more. But the reason I read all these shorts this week is because I ordered it from my library and it will be here soon. But I dont think I could even stomach reading it right now. I am not just sad, I am angry. Almost seething. I usually avoid gifs because I like to write proper reviews, but I am too angry to write so...

That was me, literally. I took a shower to help me feel better. It didnt help.
Monika
Easily, "The Assassin and the Empire" was my favorite of the four novellas. So emotional and the ending just kills me. Yea... from the description of the "Throne of Glass" you know how it ends. But step by step, you see what caused this situation. And you can not help but feel sorry for Celaena and for what she went through. And Sam? Read and find out! You won’t be disappointed.
Monserrat Maxfield Markov
Me dije: no te encariñes con Sam, sabes como termina.

Y véanme aquí sufriendo y llorando como una magdalena.

description

¡Quiero venganza Celaena! Me duela más como murió Sam, como lo dejaron...

Sam en cierto modo me recuerda a Chaol y creo que mi corazón ya tiene bando.
Alz
A little novella in which nothing happens except things that Celaena could have avoided if she hadn't been so incredibly blindly stupid. She underwent no character growth, faced no real challenges except trumped-up excuses for plot, and acted so frivolous that it's no surprise that she ends up where she does.

For another thing, aspects of this book are way, way too modern--and I mean yes, this IS fantasy and all, but when it's set in Ye Elde Generic Fantasyland, I find it a bit much for her to ha
Grace (LovingDemBooks)
Buy this book HERE on Amazon or buy this book HERE on BookDepository with FREE WORLDWIDE SHIIPPING

4 of 5 stars (Please read my rating system further below). THAT WAS SO SO SO SO SAD. I LOVED HOW WE FOUND OUT WHERE "MY NAME IS CELEANA SARDOTHIEN AND I WILL NOT BE AFRIAD" CAME FROM :D I LOVE SAM, AND I ALWAYS WILL. TEAM SAM. FOREVER. SCREW JAYNE AND FARRAN.

My rating system: (I do use half stars.)
5 - I do not use the 5 star. Not because a book might not be worthy, but because a book is never pe
The Holy Terror
I held out on finishing this one until I was ready to read the next book, and I'm glad I did. This final novella was heartbreaking. I legitimately cried even though I knew what was coming since I read Throne of Glass before any of the short stories. I can't tell you what order is right, but I think these prequels will make you like Celaena more than if you skip them altogether. If you're on the fence about her, the four stories (which easily could've been one whole book,) flesh out her character ...more
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
I wrote one thing in my notes for this novella and it smudged from my tears: “it’s broken me”.

description

Posted on: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/ as part of my full review for Assassin's Blade
I just can't bring myself to give 5 stars, not because the story isn't absolutely epic, but because of what happens.

This was brutal.
Krispy
2.5 stars. I originally rounded this up because I quite enjoyed certain aspects of the novella and I thought it was a fitting lead-in to the novel, but I ended up rounding it down again because there were a few things that nagged me while I was reading that nagged me even more as I thought about the story in hindsight.

But let's talk good things first because I like starting and ending on a positive note when possible.

Celaena's arrogance was toned down in this novella, and I liked seeing her face
Janus Vielle (The Blair Book Project)
Celaena is now living in her own home, along with Sam, away from the Assassin’s Keep and Arobynn Hamel. However, not being able to leave in good terms with their old master, Celaena and Sam are struggling to get food on the table and their money is diminishing each day. They haven’t gotten a single contract ever since they left the Keep. Even though they have already bought their freedom, they are not free of Arobynn’s reigns unless they leave Rifthold. Anxious to be free from this man, Sam gets ...more
Cecilia
Se avevo voglia di piangere dopo la lettura della terza, ora che ho finito questa voglio proprio affogarci nelle lacrime. Tutto così intenso che proprio no, non ce la faccio a commentare decentemente. Pensi che un racconto di poche paginette non possa lasciarti granché e poi arriva Sam, con quella sua tenerezza assoluta, poi arriva Celeana che più fragile di così non era mai stata, e no, ciao, datemi dei fazzoletti. Non ce la faccio.
Sarah J. Maas, fattelo dire, sei proprio una stronza sadica. Ti
Uche
I haven't decided what I'll be rating this book because while I enjoyed a lot about the story, it's been getting harder to suspend belief over decisions the protagonist makes. I won't spoil anything, but the tragic events that put the heroine in chains at the end of the story* just struck me as contrived. I couldn't feel sad or shocked or even mad because I found the actions of the heroine and her lover just too... well, idiotic to make any sense. You know what they say about fool me once, shame ...more
Claudia

"Non voleva vivere in un mondo in cui lui non c'era. Così guardò la luce spostarsi e cambiare, e lasciò che il mondo andasse avanti senza di lei."

Sarah J. Maas, tu sei una donna cattiva, un essere spregevole U_U
TU, brutta puzzona che non sei altro, sei riuscita a farmi innamorare follemente di un personaggio in meno di quattro racconti per poi cosa? Togliermelo via così? *!#"@!...ARGH!!
Non potevi crearne uno meno perfetto? Magari spocchioso ed irritante? O anche noioso e insulso? Eh no, sennò c
Ale
Oddio oddio oddio
NON PUOI FARE UNA COSA DEL GENERE.
Se con solo quattro novelle Sarah J. Maas è riuscita a spezzare in minuscoli pezzetti il mio cuore e il mio cervello, dovrò prepararmi psicologicamente per Il Trono di Ghiaccio D:
I need it. NOW. *supplicainginocchio*
Tammie
I knew this one was going to break my heart. That's why I put off reading these prequels for so long. We find out how Sam dies in this one. It's one thing to just read about someone who has died, but to get to know them and then have to lose them in the story is so much worse. This is truly a sad story and I could see it all unfolding even when Celaena and Sam couldn't. I was shouting at the characters in my head to not be so foolish, to realize what was going on, what was going to happen! I now ...more
Fontaine
For a girl who's so arrogant and claims to be one of the best, she sure falls short of her own declaration.

The actions of Calaena was stupid and made no sense.
All the events that occurred could have been avoided if our 'heroine' wasn't so blindingly idiotic.

This book was supposed to be tragic, but was so horribly stupid it turned moronic.
What happens to our heroine in the end is well-deserved, but I feel very sad for Sam where the violence was undeserved.

Any sensible person could have seen what
Rachel
MY HEART IS BROKEN. If you have read this, then you know who Sam is, and you know what pain is. I may never fully recover. :( <--- yes, I put a sad face in my review, and I'm not even ashamed. That's how devastated I am.
Maximoff
Mar 09, 2014 Maximoff rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: TODO EL MUNDO.
"Se guardaría a Sam en el corazón, una luz brillante que sacaría cada vez que las tinieblas la invadieran. Entonces recordaría cómo era sentirse amada, cuando el mundo no albergaba nada más que una gran posibilidad. No importaba lo que le hicieran, jamás le podrían arrebatar aquello."

No puedo creer que en tan pocas páginas haya sentido tanto. En serio, es algo que creo no puedo explicar.

Me parece que hay demasiados personajes literarios que me desagradan, pero Arobynn Hamel sin duda es uno de lo
Randee
That was brutal.
I knew it was coming. I saw it coming.
But regardless, nothing could have prepared me for the heartbreak I still endured.
I am speechless.
Debs
Questa, cara Sarah J. Maas, non te la perdono. Sappilo.
Marga
“Celaena." She looked back at him, her red gown sweeping around her. His eyes shone as he flashed her a crooked grin. "I missed you this summer." She met his stare unflinchingly, returning the smile as she said, "I hate to admit it, Sam Cortland, but I missed your sorry ass, too.”

Is it possible to ship Celaena to two guys?!? YES! I love Chaol but seriously.. Sam won his way to my heart. There's really no stopping it from happening.

"I can wait," he said thickly, kissing her collarbone. "We ha
Lauren
Review also posted here.

Oh gosh. I really loved this, as I did the previous three novellas, but in an angry, bitter sort of way. That ending! I sort of felt like I'd been sucker punched. What's worse is that somewhere between The Assassin and the Pirate Lord and The Assassin and the Desert I REALIZED with horror that this was going to happen but tried to push it out of my mind. Let me explain:

The Assassin and the Empire is the fourth and last novella released in anticipation of Sarah J Maas' upc
Ellisa Cia
Angigames
Sarah J Maas sei una maledettissima sadica.
Il mio cuore ha fatto CRACK.
Non ti perdonerò mai.
Ps: Arobynn spero tu possa crepare di una morte lunga e dolorosa. Ti voglio morto stecchito.
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Dark and tragic story that details the events that lead into Throne of Glass.

Opening Sentence: Curled into the corner of a prison wagon, Celaena Sardothien watched the splotches of shadows and light play on the wall.

The Review:

For the first time in her life Celaena Sardothien is truly happy. She has moved out of the Assassin’s Keep. She has the love of her fellow assassin Sam Cortland. And she is no longer in debt to Arobynn Hamel, the King
Douglas Meeks
The Assassin and the Empire (Throne of Glass, #0.4)The Assassin and the Empire by Sarah J. Maas

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Anyone who has been reading these excellent novellas knew this was not going to be a happy reading experience. the teaser for the novel Throne of Glass was included in the back of the last novella and those of us (like me) who stupidly read it already knew there was going to be a bad ending here, what we did NOT know was how bad it was going to be. Our plucky Assassin we have traveled through 4 novellas with now has hit bottom,
Erin Bowman
Having read ToG ages ago, I knew exactly where Celaena (and Sam) would be at the end of this novella, but it was still my favorite of the four. Yes, it was terribly frustrating. Yes, I wanted to scream at the two of them (mostly Celaena) the entire time. Yes, it was painful and tragic and depressing as hell, but it still ends with a glimmer of hope, and I am so glad I read it.

My favorite part of these novellas has been watching Celaena’s character arc. Some might claim she hasn’t changed. And in
Brooke
This author can really do no wrong! I have read everything by her so far and seriously am impressed with her ability to develop characters so well. It was nice to read these novellas because it gave more detail to what really happened before the lovely throne of glass series! I don't want to wait soooo long for the next one!! What will I do with myself?!
Jessica
–Me llamo Celaena Sardothien –susurró– y no tengo miedo.

Aún no dejo de llorar, no creo que vaya a dejar de hacerlo en un largo rato.

Puse un poquito de confianza en Arobynn después de lo que pasó en el libro pasado y ahorita hizo esto y ok. Espero que Celaena le de la super muerte que se merece. A él y a Farran.

Sam y Celaena eran, son y seguirán siendo todo lo que está bien en el maldito mundo. Todo.

Realmente no sé que me puede más en estos momentos: si la rabia hacia Arobynn o la lloradera. El
Kelli Spear
Gods.

By far, the one novella I didn't want to read. I KNEW where things were going. I knew how it was going to end. I stupidly held out hope.

The build-up is emotionally draining. I was torn between wanting to skip it and needing to finish. I always feel that when things are going too perfectly, they can only fall down. And, in this case, that was overwhelmingly true. It's obvious, and we'd known the end result, but you can't blame a girl for praying for a miracle.

After everything Sam and Celaena
Throne of Glass F...: The Assassin and the Empire 8 70 Oct 04, 2014 11:25AM
  • The King's Guard (Fire and Thorns, #0.7)
  • Bridge of Snow (Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
  • The Witch's Betrayal (The Assassin's Curse, 0.5)
  • A Dawn Most Wicked (Something Strange and Deadly, #0.5)
  • Seraphina: The Audition (Seraphina, #0.5)
  • The Witch of Duva (The Grisha, #0.5)
  • Iron's Prophecy (The Iron Fey, #4.5)
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • Ferragost (Lumatere Chronicles, #2.5)
  • Night of Cake & Puppets (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2.5)
  • The Spring Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.25)
  • Viper's Creed (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #2)
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • Roar and Liv (Under the Never Sky, #0.5)
  • Elemental (Elemental, #0.5)
  • The Little Android (The Lunar Chronicles, #0.6)
Sarah J. Maas is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Throne of Glass series (Queen of Shadows, Book 4, will be out in September 2015), as well as the A Court of Thorns and Roses series (out 5/5/15).

Sarah lives in Bucks County, PA, and over the years, she has developed an unhealthy appreciation for Disney movies and bad pop music. She adores fairy tales and ballet, drinks too
More about Sarah J. Maas...

Throne of Glass (6 books)
  • Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)
  • Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
  • Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3)
  • Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4)
  • Untitled (Throne of Glass, #5)
  • Untitled (Throne of Glass, #6)
Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2) Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3) A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) The Assassin's Blade (Throne of Glass, #0.1-0.5)

“When we die," she said, "I don't think the gods will even know what to do with us.” 97 likes
“You look more of less the same."
She strode right past him. "And you still look like a jackass," she said sweetly.”
66 likes