Start by marking “The Assassin and the Empire (Throne of Glass, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Assassin and the Empire (Throne of Glass, #0.5)

The Assassin and the Empire (Throne of Glass 0.5)

4.40  ·  Rating Details  ·  12,405 Ratings  ·  923 Reviews
Celaena Sardothien is the assassin with everything: a place to call her own, the love of handsome Sam, and, best of all, freedom. Yet, she won’t be truly free until she is far away from her old master, Arobynn Hamel; Celaena must take one last daring assignment that will liberate her forever. But having it all, means you have a lot to lose . . .

This fourth fantastic e-nov
Published July 20th 2012 by Bloomsbury USA Children's

To ask other readers questions about The Assassin and the Empire, please sign up.

Kristyn He considered her his property and he didn't like sharing her with Sam.
Free Four by Veronica RothDestroy Me by Tahereh MafiHana by Lauren OliverGlitches by Marissa MeyerSummer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa
YA Short Stories and Novellas
16th out of 608 books — 1,134 voters
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. MaasGraceling by Kristin CashorePoison Study by Maria V. SnyderThe Way of Shadows by Brent WeeksGrave Mercy by Robin LaFevers
Books With Heroes/Heroines Who Are Assassins
39th out of 765 books — 3,344 voters

More lists with this book...

Pearl Angeli
Sep 19, 2015 Pearl Angeli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
“My name is Celaena Sardothien, and I will not be afraid.”

This novella was too much for me to take. I knew it was coming but still, it left me utterly unprepared for what happened to Celaena and Sam. It was just so heartbreaking and painful. Everything was brutal I’m so surprised to find myself being able to handle it without breaking my heart into tiny bits of pieces.

I’ve read Throne of Glass prior to reading this and now everything already made a perfect sense. What happened to Celaena was
Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Magnus ♥
I am so angry right now I dont even know if I wanna read Throne of Glass any more. But the reason I read all these shorts this week is because I ordered it from my library and it will be here soon. But I dont think I could even stomach reading it right now. I am not just sad, I am angry. Almost seething. I usually avoid gifs because I like to write proper reviews, but I am too angry to write so...

That was me, literally. I took a shower to help me feel better. It didnt help.
Cait
Apr 18, 2016 Cait rated it it was amazing
That was heartbreaking, but less so than I expected. I think a lot more detail is revealed throughout the other books, so nothing here was too intense. Still super sad, though!
Monika
Aug 04, 2012 Monika rated it it was amazing
Easily, "The Assassin and the Empire" was my favorite of the four novellas. So emotional and the ending just kills me. Yea... from the description of the "Throne of Glass" you know how it ends. But step by step, you see what caused this situation. And you can not help but feel sorry for Celaena and for what she went through. And Sam? Read and find out! You won’t be disappointed.
Monserrat Maxfield Markov
Me dije: no te encariñes con Sam, sabes como termina.

Y véanme aquí sufriendo y llorando como una magdalena.

description

¡Quiero venganza Celaena! Me duela más como murió Sam, como lo dejaron...

Sam en cierto modo me recuerda a Chaol y creo que mi corazón ya tiene bando.
Alz
Jul 22, 2012 Alz rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya-mg, fantasy
A little novella in which nothing happens except things that Celaena could have avoided if she hadn't been so incredibly blindly stupid. She underwent no character growth, faced no real challenges except trumped-up excuses for plot, and acted so frivolous that it's no surprise that she ends up where she does.

For another thing, aspects of this book are way, way too modern--and I mean yes, this IS fantasy and all, but when it's set in Ye Elde Generic Fantasyland, I find it a bit much for her to ha
✔Jasmine✔

This was certainly a heart-shattering story and Sam's death was unfathomably painful to me. The beginning of it was too dreamy to be true, the way Sam and Celaena believed in the possibility of leaving Rifthold and starting their new life without the control of either Arobynn Hamel or the Assassins' Guild; however, the ending was something entirely unexpected. Such a dramatic twist was hard to endure, honestly.

Although the killing scenes were bloody as usual, I think the Crime Lord of Rifthold
Nicole
Dec 06, 2015 Nicole rated it liked it
Grace (LovingDemBooks)
Feb 26, 2015 Grace (LovingDemBooks) rated it really liked it
Buy this book HERE on Amazon or buy this book HERE on BookDepository with FREE WORLDWIDE SHIIPPING

4 of 5 stars (Please read my rating system further below). THAT WAS SO SO SO SO SAD. I LOVED HOW WE FOUND OUT WHERE "MY NAME IS CELEANA SARDOTHIEN AND I WILL NOT BE AFRIAD" CAME FROM :D I LOVE SAM, AND I ALWAYS WILL. TEAM SAM. FOREVER. SCREW JAYNE AND FARRAN.

My rating system: (I do use half stars.)
5 - I do not use the 5 star. Not because a book might not be worthy, but because a book is never pe
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
Mar 31, 2015 Anna (Enchanted by YA) rated it it was amazing
I wrote one thing in my notes for this novella and it smudged from my tears: “it’s broken me”.

description

Posted on: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/ as part of my full review for Assassin's Blade
Veronica
Mar 13, 2016 Veronica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
"Non voleva vivere in un mondo in cui lui non c'era.
Così guardò la luce spostarsi e cambiare, e lasciò che il mondo andasse avanti senza di lei"

No. No. No. No. NO!
Io non ce la posso fare.
Maas, che cosa mi combini!?
Ho il cuore a pezzi.
A pezzi.

Arobynn non merita di vivere.
LO VOGLIO MORTO!

The Holy Terror
I held out on finishing this one until I was ready to read the next book, and I'm glad I did. This final novella was heartbreaking. I legitimately cried even though I knew what was coming since I read Throne of Glass before any of the short stories. I can't tell you what order is right, but I think these prequels will make you like Celaena more than if you skip them altogether. If you're on the fence about her, the four stories (which easily could've been one whole book,) flesh out her character ...more
Hayden
Jan 02, 2016 Hayden rated it it was amazing
even though I knew what was coming, it still hit me right in the gut. :(
Dec 15, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
I just can't bring myself to give 5 stars, not because the story isn't absolutely epic, but because of what happens.

This was brutal.
Krispy
Jul 26, 2012 Krispy rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, novella, fantasy
2.5 stars. I originally rounded this up because I quite enjoyed certain aspects of the novella and I thought it was a fitting lead-in to the novel, but I ended up rounding it down again because there were a few things that nagged me while I was reading that nagged me even more as I thought about the story in hindsight.

But let's talk good things first because I like starting and ending on a positive note when possible.

Celaena's arrogance was toned down in this novella, and I liked seeing her face
Janus Vielle (The Blair Book Project)
Celaena is now living in her own home, along with Sam, away from the Assassin’s Keep and Arobynn Hamel. However, not being able to leave in good terms with their old master, Celaena and Sam are struggling to get food on the table and their money is diminishing each day. They haven’t gotten a single contract ever since they left the Keep. Even though they have already bought their freedom, they are not free of Arobynn’s reigns unless they leave Rifthold. Anxious to be free from this man, Sam gets ...more
Cecilia
Jul 10, 2014 Cecilia rated it it was amazing
Se avevo voglia di piangere dopo la lettura della terza, ora che ho finito questa voglio proprio affogarci nelle lacrime. Tutto così intenso che proprio no, non ce la faccio a commentare decentemente. Pensi che un racconto di poche paginette non possa lasciarti granché e poi arriva Sam, con quella sua tenerezza assoluta, poi arriva Celeana che più fragile di così non era mai stata, e no, ciao, datemi dei fazzoletti. Non ce la faccio.
Sarah J. Maas, fattelo dire, sei proprio una stronza sadica. Ti
Riley Blue
Mar 09, 2014 Riley Blue rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: TODO EL MUNDO.
"Se guardaría a Sam en el corazón, una luz brillante que sacaría cada vez que las tinieblas la invadieran. Entonces recordaría cómo era sentirse amada, cuando el mundo no albergaba nada más que una gran posibilidad. No importaba lo que le hicieran, jamás le podrían arrebatar aquello."

No puedo creer que en tan pocas páginas haya sentido tanto. En serio, es algo que creo no puedo explicar.

Me parece que hay demasiados personajes literarios que me desagradan, pero Arobynn Hamel sin duda es uno de lo
Fontaine
Jul 25, 2012 Fontaine rated it did not like it
For a girl who's so arrogant and claims to be one of the best, she sure falls short of her own declaration.

The actions of Calaena was stupid and made no sense.
All the events that occurred could have been avoided if our 'heroine' wasn't so blindingly idiotic.

This book was supposed to be tragic, but was so horribly stupid it turned moronic.
What happens to our heroine in the end is well-deserved, but I feel very sad for Sam where the violence was undeserved.

Any sensible person could have seen what
Uche
Jul 21, 2012 Uche rated it it was ok
I haven't decided what I'll be rating this book because while I enjoyed a lot about the story, it's been getting harder to suspend belief over decisions the protagonist makes. I won't spoil anything, but the tragic events that put the heroine in chains at the end of the story* just struck me as contrived. I couldn't feel sad or shocked or even mad because I found the actions of the heroine and her lover just too... well, idiotic to make any sense. You know what they say about fool me once, shame ...more
Claudia
Oct 31, 2015 Claudia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories

"Non voleva vivere in un mondo in cui lui non c'era. Così guardò la luce spostarsi e cambiare, e lasciò che il mondo andasse avanti senza di lei."

Sarah J. Maas, tu sei una donna cattiva, un essere spregevole U_U
TU, brutta puzzona che non sei altro, sei riuscita a farmi innamorare follemente di un personaggio in meno di quattro racconti per poi cosa? Togliermelo via così? *!#"@!...ARGH!!
Non potevi crearne uno meno perfetto? Magari spocchioso ed irritante? O anche noioso e insulso? Eh no, sennò c
Ale
May 17, 2013 Ale rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oddio oddio oddio
NON PUOI FARE UNA COSA DEL GENERE.
Se con solo quattro novelle Sarah J. Maas è riuscita a spezzare in minuscoli pezzetti il mio cuore e il mio cervello, dovrò prepararmi psicologicamente per Il Trono di Ghiaccio D:
I need it. NOW. *supplicainginocchio*
Rachel
May 13, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015reads
MY HEART IS BROKEN. If you have read this, then you know who Sam is, and you know what pain is. I may never fully recover. :( <--- yes, I put a sad face in my review, and I'm not even ashamed. That's how devastated I am.
Sam
Jan 26, 2016 Sam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My heart is broken...
Alex
Dec 10, 2013 Alex rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Soltanto due parole: tristezza e rabbia!
Tammie
I knew this one was going to break my heart. That's why I put off reading these prequels for so long. We find out how Sam dies in this one. It's one thing to just read about someone who has died, but to get to know them and then have to lose them in the story is so much worse. This is truly a sad story and I could see it all unfolding even when Celaena and Sam couldn't. I was shouting at the characters in my head to not be so foolish, to realize what was going on, what was going to happen! I now ...more
Kamalia
Apr 03, 2016 Kamalia rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. I sobbed so hard. Even harder than the first time reading this. This is the most tragic heartbreak i have ever experienced. I dont know why i do this to myself.
Rache
NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOO
Dee ♡
Apr 20, 2016 Dee ♡ rated it it was amazing
That was brutal.
I knew it was coming. I saw it coming.
But regardless, nothing could have prepared me for the heartbreak I still endured.
I am speechless.
Queen Maas' Assas...: The Assassin and the Empire 14 130 Aug 10, 2015 09:52AM
  • The King's Guard (Fire and Thorns, #0.7)
  • Bridge of Snow (The Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
  • The Witch of Duva (The Grisha, #0.5)
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • The First Kiss (The Iron Fey, #1.25)
  • A Dawn Most Wicked (Something Strange and Deadly, #0.5)
  • The Witch's Betrayal (The Assassin's Curse, 0.5)
  • The Spring Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.25)
  • The Audition (Seraphina, #0.5)
  • Beneath the Surface (The Emperor's Edge, #5.5)
  • Volcrian's Hunt (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #3)
  • Leave the Window Open (The Archived, #2.5)
  • Origins: The Fire (MILA 2.0, #0.5)
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
  • Roar and Liv (Under the Never Sky, #0.5)
  • Tomorrow's Kingdom (The Gypsy King #3)
  • The Little Stormdancer (The Lotus War, #1.5)
Sarah J. Maas is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Throne of Glass series (Queen of Shadows, Book 4, will be out in September 2015), as well as the A Court of Thorns and Roses series (out 5/5/15).

Sarah lives in Bucks County, PA, and over the years, she has developed an unhealthy appreciation for Disney movies and bad pop music. She adores fairy tales and ballet, drinks too
More about Sarah J. Maas...

Throne of Glass (6 books)
  • Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)
  • Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
  • Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3)
  • Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4)
  • Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, #5)
  • Untitled (Throne of Glass, #6)

“When we die," she said, "I don't think the gods will even know what to do with us.” 136 likes
“She would tuck Sam into her heart, a bright light for her to take out whenever things were darkest.
And then she would remember how it had felt to be loved, when the world held nothing but possibility. No matter what they did to her, they could never take that away.
She would not break.
And someday ... someday, even it took her until her last breath, she'd find out who had done this to her. To Sam.”
84 likes