Start by marking “Undermountain (The Undermountain Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Undermountain (The Undermountain Saga, #1)

Undermountain (The Undermountain Saga #1)

Two teens from from different worlds . . .
Seeking refuge from their troubled home lives, sixteen year olds Danny Michaelson and Breyona Lewis join a group of teens in the Canadian Rocky Mountains for a ten day hiking excursion.

. . . the encounter of a lifetime . . .
Six days in, Danny and Breyona come face to face with a creature of legend--an eight foot tall beast they ta
Published March 5th 2012 by Undermountain Books LLC. (first published December 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Undermountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Undermountain

Midu Hadi
Jan 16, 2012 Midu Hadi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA readers,fans of adventures
Sheri
Dec 31, 2011 Sheri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Undermountain had me hooked from the first page. The story begins with the journey of six kids and one adult who were on a hike in the Canadian Rockies. Their group is being chased by an unknown creature, and they are rescued by…bigfoot. Undermountain tells the adventures of Danny, Breyona, Em, Wa, and Shiv as they discover that sometimes myths and legends are true, and sometimes they are scarier than they ever imagined.

I really enjoyed the author's writing style. The book was well written, des
Nikki  Peterson
Jan 05, 2012 Nikki Peterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Nikki by: Author Requesting Review via Making Connections
Shelves: paranormal
This book is well written and flows along seamlessly. The descriptions are so well written. Enough for you to see it all perfectly in your minds eye. The characters are well rounded, and leave you feeling like you know them.

The plot is about a group of six teens and an old guide that go on a 10 day hike. Along the trail they run into some trouble. Five of the six teens are seperated from the guide and the other teen. They are taken to Undermountain city of "The People". The guide and other tee
Sherry Fundin
Six troubled teenagers and their mountain guide, Harvin, went on a ten-day hike in the Canadian Rockies. Harvin, Danny and Breyona went to get water. When they heard a shriek, Harvin went to investigate. While he was gone, Danny saw a Bigfoot chasing something. As he tried to cross the river, Danny slipped and fell in, only to be saved by the Bigfoot he had seen earlier. Breyona was hiding behind a tree, afraid to show herself. Danny went to her and they both watched as the Bigfoot was pacing an ...more
The Haunted Reading Room 2017 - Year of Lovecraft
Feb 02, 2012 The Haunted Reading Room 2017 - Year of Lovecraft rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA Paranormal, Suspense, Adult Paranormal
Shelves: armchair-canada
A ten-day hike in the Canadian Rockies-what could be better than that? So thinks Danny, who along with five other adolescents (including his sister Em), and the prickly old guide, Harvin, are backpacking in the wilds, sleeping out under the stars, gathering their own firewood, cooking meals, and being blessed by the beauty of the scenery. The teens are embarked on a glorious trip, indeed, and as an undertone both Danny and his new friend, Joachim, are developing an interest in two of the girls-D ...more
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Jan 09, 2012 Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) by: ARR
Shelves: to-review
Although this book was a little lenghty, I found the read to be fast and entertaining. The story was well developed and the ending left me wondering if there would be more.

With teens struggling with problems a lot can relate to, the story that helps them overcome some of that drama is intrguing. There is also a bit of romance that add a nice touch.

Check out this story that reminds me of movies on the sci-fi channel which happens to be one of my favorite.
Eric Edstrom
Dec 29, 2011 Eric Edstrom rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teens, adults who like adventure
Shelves: i-wrote
I wrote this book, so I think it's awesome!
Alison
Jan 09, 2012 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. What a surprising read. I can honestly say that I was quite speachless when I finished reading this book. And in a good way. It has a very interesting storyline, great action, very well written characters and one hell of a journey!

It takes place in the Canadian Rockies where we have 6 kids and a grumpy old guide out on a 10 day hike. Needless to say it doesn't take long before the hike turns into a nightmare, one filled with bigfeet and monsters and a huge underground civilisation (or Under
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
I love reading this book! It is such unique take on the whole Bigfoot myth and legend. All of the characters are unique and complex yet believable at the same time. Our story takes place in the Canadian Rockies where Danny Michaelson and his sister Emily are on a hiking excursion. The hiking excursion will take ten days to complete and is being lead by Harvin McTavish. Harvin is an expert hiking guide and tries to give his clients a memorable experience they soon won't forget. Danny and his fell ...more
Jonel Boyko
Dec 23, 2012 Jonel Boyko rated it really liked it
Edstrom creates a world unlike any other in the first installment of his Undermountain Trilogy. He begins in the wilderness of the Canadian Rockies and from there travels to the unknown. It was a very intriguing read that kept me captivated throughout.

Undermountain is a very well written work. Edstrom’s writing flows seamlessly from place to place and character to character. He has the ability to add descriptions that heighten your understanding of the story and its characters without slowing do
Faye {Daydreaming_Star}
Jan 05, 2012 Faye {Daydreaming_Star} rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This novel had me hooked from the first page. The writing style was brilliant and really kept me captivated but really it was the story that was absolutely amazing. This was a story like none I have ever read and I was well and truly hooked. It was a book about bigfeet. You know it to be a legend but as you read this book, it seems that this could actually be real. It is so descriptive and imaginative that I honestly forgot that bigfoot doesn’t exist because he felt so real in this novel. It was ...more
Penumbra
I was given this book to read through the Making Connections YA ARR group, thank you.

(view spoiler)
Oct 01, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Undermountain is completely different from anything that I've ever read before, in a good way! I really enjoyed reading it! Eric Edstrom has created a very awesome and interesting world beneath the Canadain Rockies (beneath all of the Earth's major mountain ranges actually). The thought that there could be an entire civilization of Bigfoots (Bigfeet?) down there is really great. I had started reading this one before bed one night and before I knew it I was 100 pages in and it was 1 am. Even thou ...more
Dale Ibitz
Jul 07, 2012 Dale Ibitz rated it really liked it
Okay, at first I was like, Bigfoot? Really? Can that be any way interesting in a story? Well, in fact, it kinda was. I liked the plot, I liked the characters, I liked the descriptions, and I liked the writing. I think the premise is unique and different. There's some humor in there (I love how Wa gets his nickname), there's a bit of romance (but just a tinge...perfectly acceptable for younger, male readers...seriously, not enough to gross them out), and there's a lot of growing up for these kids ...more
Wendy ~M/M Junkie~
Jun 14, 2012 Wendy ~M/M Junkie~ rated it really liked it
Shelves: source-calibre
I recieved this book for review but that has in no way effected my opinion.
I really enjoyed this story it was quite different than anything else I have ever read. It is a delightful and intriguing story about Bigfoot! It was a refreshing change from what I have been reading lately. I also enjoyed the authors writing style. Eric Edstrom is certainly an author I will be following. I am looking forward to reading the sequel as well. I am curious to see where the next adventure will lead. I would r
Melanie Cusick-Jones
Jan 07, 2012 Melanie Cusick-Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012

Interesting ya story - an original plot idea compared to other ya books i've read.

Well written, with good action sequences and detailed description - the short, punchy chapters work well to draw you into the story and clearly show the reader whose point of view you're in.

My favourite part was they early chapters where the group is together in the wilderness - you can't beat banter and hormones!

FYI it might make you think twice about that holiday to Canada but don't worry - stick to the cities
Juliann
Jan 13, 2012 Juliann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, scifi, ya
Undermountain is a fast-paced novel that involves a group of young hikers who encounter Bigfoot on a hike. While some of the characters may seem a little stock, the main characters were well-defined, likable kids placed into a very inventive story, the likes of which I haven't read before. If you like elements of fantasy-science fiction blended into a young adult adventure story, this is a novel you will enjoy.
Y. Correa
Jan 07, 2012 Y. Correa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the story. It was entertaining without being too "over the top"... I enjoyed the relationships between the characters and their chemistry. I recommend this story to anyone who enjoys a "down to earth" young adult fiction.
Laura Thomas
Apr 01, 2012 Laura Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It starts normally enough. Six teen-agers and their guide, Harvin, are on a grand adventure, camping in the wilds of Canada. Harvin is gruff and unfriendly but very knowledgeable about the Rockies and its dangers. The kids are from all walks of life and couldn’t be more different. This trip is going to be interesting.

While collecting water Danny and Breyona see something amazing. Racing along is this two-headed creature with four pointy legs and right behind him is this huge hairy beast best des
Kirsten
Apr 10, 2012 Kirsten rated it it was amazing
Rating: 5 stars

Recommended for: Thirteen and older–any who love sci-fi, bigfoot, adventure, or aliens–or all four!

Eric Kent Edstrom spins a magnificent tale of love and war in his latest novel, Undermountain. A huge lover of all things Sasquatch, I enjoyed the book immensely. Mr. Edstrom is a very creative, yet logical-minded individual, and it’s obvious that he put a lot of effort into the book. I give Undermountain a five-star rating.

The book was well-written and continued smoothly, allowing f
Heather Pearson
Jul 02, 2013 Heather Pearson rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Six teens from different backgrounds are on a wilderness experience trip in the Canadian Rockies. They each have their reasons for being there and with their own goals for the trip. On the sixth day, a most unusual set of events occur, which causes their experience guide, Harbin, to make some drastic changes to their route.

From this point on, the story took twists and turns which I couldn't have imagined. Each one of them pulled me further into their lives and I found that I couldn't put the boo
Gail
Apr 12, 2012 Gail rated it really liked it
Hi,
I wanted to give you my thoughts on this book. I thought it was genius. It is an excellent mix of Cryptozoic stories and folklore, with a twist. It is brilliantly written. I love the pacing and the realistic setting in which the story is set. I love the twist especially. I want to tell you everything that I have read thus far, but I do not want to give it away. If you love a good adventure than you will really like this book. I have thoroughly enjoyed it. Think Bigfoot meets science fiction.
Nicole Ayers
Mar 17, 2014 Nicole Ayers rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure: I was hired to proofread this novel. It's always a happy day when I get to work with a manuscript that is also a great story. Undermountain fit the bill. I enjoyed the well-paced story's take on Bigfoot, very creative. My favorite part was the wordplay with tangoga character names. I also had a fun moment when I was reminded of the Intersect, an integral piece of my all-time favorite TV show, Chuck. It was definitely a pleasure to combine work and play with this read.
Patricia
Mar 08, 2014 Patricia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure
Not many books can grab a hold of me and keep me spellbound, but this book did. I found myself pulled into the world of Undermountain and lost there. Even when I wasn't reading I was thinking about the characters in the book, wondering how they were going to get out of their trouble. Though it's the first in a series it can be read as a standalone. I really enjoyed this book. Looking forward to reading the next.
Margie Jimenez
Aug 28, 2012 Margie Jimenez rated it it was amazing
Undermountain was one of the most original sci-fi/fantasy stories I've ever read. The author weaves a tale about a race of Bigfoots, visitors to our planet, that live under mountains with a mission to protect the human race. The fast-paced narrative style of Undermountain engages the reader right away and the alien and human protagonists are characters you can root for or rage against. I enjoyed this book very much and am looking forward to reading Book 2!
Ken
Jan 05, 2012 Ken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
An adventure involving six teens and an old guide while in the midst of what is all going on two get into so much more. Follow Danny, Breyona, and the others on this exciting adventure. I felt at times some of story got to be a little bit long, but still found it to be a very enjoyable read.

Thank you again Eric for sending me a copy to read and review :)

Tammi
Apr 28, 2012 Tammi rated it liked it
It was okay. I thought it was a little hokey. I could not get as seriously involved in the drama as I would have liked. Not a bad read, especially for a YA book. Maybe bigfeet are not my thing!
Tricia Nelson
May 17, 2012 Tricia Nelson rated it it was amazing
A fun adventure. I really enjoyed this book and had a hard time putting it down. I can't wait to read more from him.
Laura Thomas
Feb 18, 2013 Laura Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Aug 21, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: review
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Who should be in the Undermountain Movie 6 11 Aug 07, 2012 09:14PM
Q&A with Eric Eds...: * Undermountain 1 11 Aug 05, 2012 03:51PM
  • Amalgam: Expanded Edition (The Valaran Chronicles, #1)
  • Eden-West (Eden, #2)
  • Warrior Reborn (The Guardians of Eden, #2)
  • Walking Wolf Road (The Wolf Road Chronicles, #1)
  • Neophyte
  • Geoff's Teddy (Synchronous Seductions, #3)
  • Striker (The Valespian Pact #2)
  • My Name is Luka (More Than Friends, #7)
  • Mending Noel (North Pole City Tales #1)
  • Close Encounters
  • Artist's Touch (Gallant Gentlemen’s Guild #1)
  • The Strength of a Man
  • Aire
  • Crossed Hearts (Hearts and Scars, #1)
  • SelfSame
  • The Waiting Booth (Whispering Woods, #1)
  • The Kronos Interference
  • Spell Bound
Eric is the author of the YA series The Undermountain Saga and The Scion Chronicles.

He lives in Wisconsin with his family.

Join his newsletter for a free copy of his YA dystopian epic Daughter of Nothing!

Follow him on Twitter and Facebook.
More about Eric Kent Edstrom...

The Undermountain Saga (3 books)
  • Afterlife (The Undermountain Saga, #2)
  • Starkiller (The Undermountain Saga, #3)

“Breyona didn’t have to force a laugh. “Fellowship? Who do you think you are? Freedo the hobbit?”
“It’s Frodo,” he said over his shoulder. “And if I was a character from L.O.T.R., I’d obviously by Strider.” Shaking his head, he continued down the trail, mumbling obscenities.
“What is L.O.T.R.?” Shiv asked. “Who is this Freedo?”
Both questions brought exasperated sighs from Bronson. “It stands for Lord of the Rings. Don’t you ever see any movies?”
“Weren’t they books before they were movies?” Em asked.
“They wrote them after,” Bronson said.
Breyona winked at Danny. “That Freedo was hot,” she said loud enough for Bronson to hear. “Even with those dumb-ass furry feet, he’s my kind of cute.”
Bronson threw his hands up. “Frodo. It’s Frodo. And he’s not hot!”
11 likes