Start by marking “Protector (The Elect, #1)” as Want to Read:
Protector (The Elect, #1)

Protector (The Elect #1)

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  13 reviews
He will protect her. No matter the threat.

The Elect. They aren’t human. They’re the next step in evolution and they’re hiding in plain sight. They’re stronger, smarter, and faster. Nature’s perfect predator.

Welcome to the top of the food chain.

Braxton Lee is the protector of the Elect and it’s a job he takes seriously. As president of the committee that governs the Elect,
Published June 26th 2012 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Protector, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Protector

Perhaps the biggest problem with this story were my expectations. I've read this author before and really enjoyed the plot driven stories. So I had high expectations here.

Now, I looove stories where people end up having extrasensory powers. Mutants, aliens, paranormal, whatever explanation is fine by me. What I don't love is well trodden tropes showing up only to be, retrodden in the same way that countless of stories have already done before.

~Alpha-hole hero? Check.
~Mates (with the alpha-hole j
Cyndy Aleo
A hidden group of people who are the next stage in evolution has fascinated sci-fi fans in properties from X-Men to Heroes. But these novellas do little to develop characters along with the world-building. The insta-mate trope appears immediately, with alpha males who find protecting their female mates biologically necessary. It's disappointing to think the next generation would return to acting like cavemen (and women would find it sexy). The sex is hot, interactions between the couples cool it ...more
Gennie Gee
Protector is a paranormal book that really doesn’t feel all that different from the everyday world in which we all live. The focus of this story is that over the last three generation there seems to have been a jump in the evolution of the humanoid and this new race calls themselves the Elect.

I don’t want to give away too much information about the plot of this book and will refer you to the description from the Publisher because they do a good job. This is a good beginning to a new series. I wa
Wait, what? This is a novella?! Well dammit all! This has waaaay too many sex scenes for a novella! Surprisingly though, there is still a plot, and it carries all the way through the end...Having said that, there's also no real conclusion...for me it felt like , when the last chapter ended( just when. As starting to get into the actual story), I turned the page looking for the next one and got the 'about the author' page about confused...and not a little bit irritating.

Anyway, sto
This book had an unusual premise: Some of the human race has evolved into a new species; one that is better physically and psychically, with extra strength and mental powers the ordinary humans don't possess.
Esme is a geneticist trying to find out what is wrong with her young nephew and stumbles upon the discovery of the new race.

Enter Braxton Lee the leader of the new race, called the Elect. Then he discovers Esme is his mate. Of course he's a protective, possessive alpha type, the kind that d
Can't even finish this. Great premise, but lacking substance, and unfortunately, full of unlikable characters and the standard genre tropes of racy romances. Prose-wise, the author has a solid writing style, but it's not enough to get me to the end.
Nice...does leave you wishing for a bit more. So I immediately got the next one and read it...which made it feel like I had read one longer story...waiting for the third one now.
I enjoyed the premise and the chemistry in this read. My big problem was that it seemed to end half way through. Just as the story was developing.... That was it. Disappointed.
Obsessed with book smex
I was sucked into this book by hook and crook, and all of a sudden, it was just over! WTH?!? You can't do this to us! It's just wrong! *pouts*
A strong beginning-new PNR series about "The Elect", humans naturally farther along Earth's evolutionary scale.
First read: September 2013
Reread: November 2014
Sonya marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Beiza added it
Nov 12, 2015
Michelle marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Gratair marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
Heidi marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Ten B.
Ten B. added it
Aug 29, 2015
Antoinette marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Michaela Kennedy
Michaela Kennedy marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Shanyece marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
  • Jungle Inferno (Phoenix Agency, #1)
  • The Danger That Is Damion (Zodius, #3)
  • Pure Healing (Pure Ones, #1)
  • Burned (Whispering Cove, #4)
  • Twister (Party Games, #3)
  • Good at Being Bad (Boys of Beachville, #1)
  • Grimm Tidings (Grimm's Circle, #6)
  • The Virgin's Revenge (Rancho del Cielo, #4)
  • Truth or Dare (Party Games, #2)
  • Tactical Deception (Silent Warrior, #2)
  • Dark Heirloom (Ema Marx #1)
  • SEAL Brotherhood Boxed Set 1
  • Pit Road (Running Under Caution, #1)
  • Demon's Caress (Demon Heat, #1)
  • Forbidden: Discover the Legend (Wolf Sirens, #1)
  • Bearing All (Wild Men of Alaska, #4)
  • Hunter of the Heart
  • Headstrong
As a native of the South, is it any wonder Loribelle has a love of storytelling? She started writing seriously as a teenager and finished her first manuscript, a mystery, when she was nineteen. After a few bumps along the way and stints as an Army MP, a waitress, a book store manager, a student, and a wedding photographer, she turned to writing full time. Now she divides her time between a husband ...more
More about Loribelle Hunt...

The Elect (3 books)
  • Guardian (The Elect, #2)
  • Warrior (The Elect, #3)