Start by marking “Cain (The Waite Family, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cain (The Waite Family, #1)

Cain (The Waite Family #1)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  283 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Cain Waite watched the girl beneath his lashes. She was skinny he thought but very pretty. He wondered at the conversation she and the nurse was having enough that when the nurse left he followed. He wanted to help the girl and asked for permission to do so.

ebook
Published April 5th 2012 by World Castle Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Cain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cain

Emily
When Cain Waite meets the homeless girl who has a knife wound, he feels something more then Doctor/client. The mysterious woman is street savvy but there is a hint of something else too.

Julie "Alyssa" has been on the run since her mother planned something so heinous, she knew she was safer living on the streets than out in the open. Alyssa is a missing heiress and although she finds herself under the watchful care of Cain, she has her own agenda and his mixed signals are a disruption to what she
Wanda Hartzenberg
A romance that will appeal to those who love a bit of erotic/explicit literature.
I loved the plot line, the riches to rags to riches line was entertaining and gripping. The characters were well developed and the protagonists had good reason to feel threatened, intimidated and sense evil from those that oppose them. I found it interesting that both the male and female protagonists had a parent who did everything for self gain.
The world building was also very nicely done. Life on the streets were
Nitzan Schwarz
I don't know what to think of this book. On the one hand I enjoyed reading it; it was a good way to pass time. On the other; I think I enjoyed dissing the book more than anything. It was just so... unrealistic!
First, the dude falls for her in like... two days, in which all they've done is fighting and there seemed to be no connection.
Then one moment she's leaving, the next they're having sex.
Then, all the things with their parents - I could understand one royally screwed up parent with
Lidia
Cain is a handsome doctor but is also a man franc, forthright , so when he sees Julie , he kisses her and the attraction is strong and he thinks only to take she at own house. Jiulie is a homeless but she hides a secret. Cain and Jiuli both have bad parents that will create many problem . A plot original and rich of action and hot sex a lot. I like this book because is compelling , romantic and dialogues are fun and there isn't subterfuges or misunder to complicate the plot.
Joy Whiteside
Another amazing book and the start to a series. I loved this book and am looking forward to the next.

It moved along at a great pace, had amazing characters and a great story as well.

Kathi S. Barton is a very enjoyable author and cant wait to read more.
Lindsay
Jan 14, 2013 Lindsay marked it as kindle-i-own-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Amazon Freebie 01/14/2013
Triin from T's Bookish Moments
From my blog.

Why did I even bother with this book? I got it for free from Amazon some time ago and I thought the cover was cool. Talk about judging a book by its cover. For more than half of this story, I was yawning and trying to stay awake because nothing really kept me awake. I mean, believe it or not, I actually wanted to study for the Physics test I had the next day (I think it's never happened before...).

The book started kind of okay, but it only got worse from there on. I felt like every
Margaret

“Damon Grant knows me. He can vouch for me as a doctor. I just want to see if I can help.” It didn’t matter really once he got back to the girl as she was lying in a pool of her own blood and unconscious.

The girl went by many names. Julie w
Ellen
Every second one of Barton's books has me wanting to never read another book by her again. And then the next one is fine. I think I know the problem, she's trying to publish too many books too often so one book is fully formed and then the next is bad.

This had some early problems for me, most especially Alyssa/Julie remembering a kiss between her and Cain that didn't happen.

Alyssa was seventeen when her father died and she inherited everything from him. Her mother, uncle and two older brothers w
Kelli
I was honestly a little disappointed in this book and can really say this an example of "you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover." I picked this up free from Amazon and am glad that I didn't pay for it. Most books I fly through and have trouble putting down. This one, I had trouble making myself finish.

It wasn't that the story was bad, but it was just not at all believable. I know, I know...how many books are realistic? I just had a hard time with it. Cain (a doctor) meets Julie (homeless from
Ginny Rose
I liked the storyline and how the conflicts among both characters were stretched out. I especially liked that both hero and heroine were strong characters. Cain, older brother, and basically protector of his five sisters was attracted to Alyssa who needed that type of protection herself. Now, this is what I loved about Alyssa, she needed protection, but she did a good job defending herself when necessary. I liked that she wasn't some helpless damsel.

The only thing I had issues with, the reason
PattyPepperpotts
Quite frankly, it still has its Kathi Barton signature all over it, same thing we saw with the Grant Brothers series - sexy and strong characters, explosive high drama contexts and backdrops... However, the flow of the narrative became an issue for me and the development of the love story seems a bit hurried, or it seemed as if some very important scenes were skipped out and we got a concise version of the love story development. It felt like one moment they just met and were attracted to each o ...more
Charlotte Blackwell
Apr 15, 2012 Charlotte Blackwell rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All Romance lovers
Shelves: wcpub
Kathi Barton has done it again and sucked me right into her world. The trials and tribulations her characters go through just to find love makes her stories all the more real. I just wish my story would end the way hers does.

Cain introduces us to the Waite family and from there we meet some wonderful characters and then a few not so wonderful. This story had me in tears a few times, but the ending OMG the ending ....AMAZING! Another great thing is we get to see what has been happening to another
Carmen
Love this Book. Could not put it down. Made me laugh, cry and believe in romance.

Felt sorry for there parents. If I had parents like that I would totally be miersable.

Can't wait to read quinns.
Fairy Tale Junkie
What horrible parents! That's all I can say.
Pat
May 09, 2014 Pat added it
Brilliant. I love Kathi Barton books
Belinda
Cain introduces us to the Waite family. You will meet some wonderful characters and then some you will automatically hate. This story had me in tears a few times and laughing and the chemistry between Cain and Julie is awesome and the ending is wonderful! Another great thing is we get to see what has been happening to another family of Kathi Barton's - a few of the Grant's make an appearance. I recommend this to anyone who needs a little romance but enjoys a little action. You will not be disapp ...more
Shana Davis
Garmieturtel
As was the theme in the series this one spins off from, the speed at which the romance escalates is far fetched, to say the least! However, I quite liked the idea that a billionaire lived covertly on the streets for ten years. And once off the streets, made sure to make great strides in seeing that those still on the streets either found a way off, or were provided with extra support!
Gisbelle
The story line was very interesting and I loved how the author complicated the story. However, some parts, especially the dialog parts, were a bit confusing. Sometimes I didn't know who was speaking. And I understand that the author was trying to make the dialog more conversation-like, but it was a bit annoying (at least to me) when it appeared to many time to count.
Brandy
This man is beautiful on the inside and out... When he sees Julie he had an instant draw to her. She is a mouthy no nonsense woman who won't be told what to do by anyone. When she disappears and Cain finds her he realizes that there is more to both their families than they could ever imagine. Will they be able to fight their way through it and become a couple?
Amanda Sheila
What a delightful story. It's a bit confusing actually, but so far so good.

But I don't quite understand why the author put Cain's name while Julie or Alyssa become the main idea of the book. But then again, it's up to her.

I don't think I want to continue to read this series, because again, the style of writing is a bit confusing.
Leslie White brooks
"Cain" was an interesting book but for me it seemed the attraction happened to quickly, and the story seemed rushed, there was alot happening in the story. I will likely read the other books in the series to see what happens with all of the Waite Family,and maybe they will go alittle deeper into the relationship with Cain and Alyssa.
SandraE
The whole point of offering free books is to get readers to want to buy other books written by the author. Barton is one of two others that I loved so much that I bought some of her other books. I enjoyed this book immensely and look forward to reading other books in the Waite series.
Eran O'Donnal
This story made tears come to my eyes so many times but none so sweet as the ending, dang that was wonderful that Alyssa got to include her dad at her wedding. Looking forward to reading about all of the Waite girls and keeping up with Cain and Alyssa.
  ღ☆ღ  Brenda
Talk about some crazy mixed up families!! This is loaded with them. I'm surprised any of the kids turned out to be half way decent. But it made for a good story :)
Denise
Cain is a doctor , and there was a homeless girl
he spotted and wanted to help her.
but she did not want his help ...
this is the first book in series
Katie
A strong and sassy heroine goes up against a fierce and protective hero. Love ensues.
Catherine
Loved this book - am steaming on to book 2 - Quinn
iliana G
Another nice book from kathi.

• The Heart Has Reasons
  • Lawless (Aspen, #2)
  • Valentine Babies
  • My Everything
  • Scarlet Fever (Hill Country Heart, #2)
  • Walk the Right Road Box Set
  • Midnight Reflections
  • In a Lover's Silence
  • Protecting Rose
  • At Her Service
  • Resurrecting Charlie's Girl
  • The First Touch
  • His Obsession (The Owners, #2)
  • Found
  • The Gangster's Kiss (Love is a Dangerous Thing, #1)
  • Chasing a Dream
  • Almost Paradise
  • Roll The Dice (Vegas, #2)
Kathi Barton, author of the bestselling series Force of Nature, lives in Nashport, Ohio with her husband Paul. In addition to writing full time Kathi likes to spend time with her eight grandkids, three children and three children-in-laws. She writes to relax and have fun.
Her muse, a cross between Jimmy Stewart and Hugh Jackman brings them to life for her readers in a way that has them coming back
More about Kathi S. Barton...

The Waite Family (6 books)
  • Quinn (The Waite Family, #2)
  • Sin (The Waite Family, #3)
  • Lilliane (The Waite Family #4)
  • Jasmine (The Waite Family, #5)
  • Grace Anne (The Waite Family, #6)
Blood, Body and Mind (Aaron's Kiss, #1) Ryland (Golden Streak, #1) Royce (The Hunter Series, #1) Nickolas (Grant Brothers, #1) Force of Nature (Force of Nature, #1)