Physical Chemistry

Physical Chemistry (A Mind is a Sexy Thing)

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Nico Johnston is a nerd with a grudge. The top of his class in the Chemical Engineering department at his university, Nico has everything he could ask for in his academic career. Until Jin Rogers transfers from Penn State and usurps his position as highest ranked student in the department. To add insult to injury, Jin has just joined the research project Nico is conducting...more
Published April 28th 2012 by Silver Publishing

Serena Yates
This is a very funny story about two nerds pairing up. The competition is intense (at least in Nico’s mind), but the heat between these two is not limited to their chosen field of study!

Nico, who tells the story, has one of the biggest chips in existence on his shoulder. He is used to being the highest-ranked student, and actually bases his identity and self-worth on the fact that he is intelligent and good at what he does. No wonder that Jin taking the ranking away from him rankles – a lot. Add...more
Tam
May 05, 2012 Tam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
This review can be found at Brief Encounters Reviews

This is a bit of a typical enemy to lovers story, although the enmity is all one-sided. Nico has been the star of his college faculty pretty much his whole university career, and when new-guy Jin shows up, it completely throws Nico off his game. Not only does the guy usurp Nico’s position as top student in the class, but he appears to be gorgeous and nice and everyone loves him, and Nico knows that’s just not possible. No one is that perfect, a...more
Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews
4 1/2 Hearts

First published at MM Good Book Reviews

Nico is harboring resentment towards transfer Jin, because he is now top of the class. knocking Nico off the top spot. Jin is attracted to Nico, but Nico has a wall built around himself that Jin can’t penetrate. Until they have to work close together on a project and just as everything is going great, Jin’s secret is exposed.

This is a wonderful story about perceptions and resentment and scratching below th...more
Mantastic
This is a fantastic short ... and I love the rivals to lovers theme. Great interaction, even the reader wanted to throttle Nico because of his jealousy. But the way everything was handled was so well done that you knew when he finally let loose, he was going to be fabulous.

Had some great one liners, especially around the end.

Am definitely picking up more from Jana Downs.
Catherine
For me, this short story blew hot and cold so often in the beginning it gave me whiplash and the whole thing ended up feeling amateurish and clunky.
LauraZu
3.5 Nerdy Stars

Cute, funny, sexy shortie.
Nico and J are two nerds in the same Physical Chem department where they are paired up for a project.
Nico had declared he hated J and that he didn't trust him, that's till J found out and decided to prove to him how good he really was...
Tame
lovely short read about 2 very flawed, wickedly brilliant men who dared to look past the outside appearance and words of the other to the depth within. AND they love chemistry (one of my college majors)---what's NOT to love?
Ari
awww...so cute!!! >m<
i'm wearing a big goofy grin on my face now ^o^
[image error]
LDL
A good strong 3 or 3.5. Good dialog and flow with little magical thinking required.
Rachel
Cute story...took me a while to warm up to Nico but liked the writing.
Zaa
I read this one after finishing Always MJ by S.J.D. Peterson.
Morgana
Kathleen
Lis
Review for Reviews by JesseWave

When Nico decides he doesn’t like someone, he does so with the flare of a five year old. All screeching and stomping his foot. It would be annoying if it wasn’t slightly cute, even for a grown up.

Poor Jin, recently transferred from Penn State dared to enter Nico’s world and take his spot as a highest ranking student. Oh the insult! Kingdoms have fallen over less! Or so Nico thinks. So he does everything in his power to hate poor Jin, who has the biggest crush on Ni...more
mw138
Nico Johnston is angry. He's one of the smartest people at his school and is well on his way to obtaining his Ph.D. One would think Nico has a good life. He did until Jin Rogers transferred to the school and stole the top GPA spot. Nico now resents and hates Jin and vows to stay far, far away from him and his seemingly perfect existence. Jin, on the other hand, would like to extend an olive branch and become friends.

This story didn't quite end up how I thought it would. I always enjoy stories in...more
Nichole John
its good
Jennifer★Pher★
Sweet geeks! Cute shorty.
Da'ad
I was disappointed in this. It's not bad, and amazingly it didn't feel too rushed, but the characters weren't consistent to me. The nice guy annoyed the hell out of me (forgot both their names). But yeah, this thing was more irritating than boring. The sex was boring though, even as vague as it was. And no, nondescriptive sex isn't necessarily boring.
Andrea
I never liked Nico so that took away from it. The chemistry references were corny but I liked it. "I could form a covalent bond with you," had me laughing and rolling my eyes at the same time. It's an easy read and entertaining if you like nerds.
Meggie
This short novella was simple to bland and undeveloped. I didn't like Nico as a character, but then maybe I would if we had better and deeper developed story.
Darkiss
Darkiss marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Mariana Mifsud
Mariana Mifsud marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Npivert
Npivert marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Zachary
Zachary marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Mia Ivanova
Mia Ivanova marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Teazia Cockburn
Teazia Cockburn marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Saheeda
Saheeda marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Jana Downs lives in the beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina with three cats, one dog, several dozen fish, and a very understanding partner-in-crime who hates to read but makes exceptions for her stories.

You can usually find her either watching bad reality TV, buying way too many books on Amazon, or dreaming up another man or two to occupy her time because life is good but several drop-de...more
More about Jana Downs...
Angel Bound (His Guardian Angels, #1) Collared with Ink (Marked, #1) Angelic Ties (His Guardian Angels, #2) Angel Kin (His Guardian Angels, #3) Ravyn's Blood (Ravyn War­riors, #1)