Start by marking “The Essential Lenny Bruce” as Want to Read:
The Essential Lenny Bruce

The Essential Lenny Bruce

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  215 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Since his death in 1966, Lenny Bruce has been lauded as a great satirist "in the tradition of Swift," as a great parodist, a moralist, a preacher, even as a shaman exorcizing the demons of our modern society. Whatever Bruce was, he was above all an incredibly funny man with an extraordinarily original and fertile comic imagination.

Transcribed from hundreds of hours of tape
Published 1970 by Douglas Books (first published January 1st 1967)

To ask other readers questions about The Essential Lenny Bruce, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Essential Lenny Bruce

Mummy
I have a story which I think really shows the essential Lenny Bruce although it's not in this, or any other book.

I was editing one of Jay Landesman's many manuscripts at the time and we were talking about his St Louis nightclub, the Crystal Palace and how Barbra Streisand got discovered. Jay told me that Barbra who was only 18, had been acting like a madwoman, coming in dressed up like a babushka with a scarf over her head and going from table to table giving the customers apples from her basket
Sam "The Record Man"
I don't think you can love the first amendment and not love Lenny Bruce.
Wilbur
I think you had to be there. The page doesn't come alive without Bruce's voice. Some of it seems so dated and yet the last few chapters,10 through 16, were excellent.
Erik Graff
Feb 11, 2010 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bruce fans
Recommended to Erik by: Einar Graff
Shelves: drama
Dad had this book on the living room shelves and I read it in high school. Later, in college, a friend, Steve Slatin, played a bunch of LPs he had of Lenny Bruce performances. Since then, not that long ago, I saw a video of several performances. Frankly, I think I was too young to appreciate his work as much a persons of my father's generation did. The concept of obscenity was virtually nonexistent during my upbringing--unless, of course, you extend it to such things as the military adventurism ...more
Cyberpope
This really gives you insight into the original comic who broke the barrier on using 4-letter words in public. He sacrificed at least 70% of his income, plus a fair degree of freedom to stand up for free speech/expression! When you read his routines, in context, you really wonder what all the fuss was about. & you learn how he accepted how there was religious bias at work with the police, prosecution, & judges. . . but he never discarded having respect for those with the difficult job of ...more
Dirk
This is all transcripts of live stuff. I think if someone had never heard Lenny Bruce do his stand-up this book would be confusing. Many of the impressions are written out phonetically which is a pain in the ass to read. Also a Yiddish dictionary might help. It just makes a lot more sense to actually be able hear all this. Besides all that this book is good.
Benito
Great collection of Lenny's skits, shtick, rants and philosophisings transcribed and indexed by subject. Particularly useful if you're one of those who occasionally has issues deciphering the great comic's Long Island accent, not to mention those Yiddish phrases you that can drive a klutz verklempt as a meshugeneh kolboynik, dig?.
Andrew
I decided to read more comedian books this year. This is a collection of a number of Bruce's bits. My high school debate coach had a copy of this in his office and I remember leafing through it a couple of times. I'll admit some of this was excruciatingly dated, but a number of it was funny and still rings true. Worthwhile reading.
Brian
If you've ever heard an old L.B. recording, you'll know the guy was: 1) clearly on drugs and 2) not a very good stage comedian (he rambles foreeeeeever). This book edits all his brilliant ideas and monologues into a couple hundred pages and is the best way to really experience his humor.
David Ward
The Essential Lenny Bruce by John Cohen (Douglas Books 1970)(nonfiction). The collected standup routines of Lenny Bruce without censure. He was the Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy of the fifties. My rating: 7/10, finished 1978.
Natalie
This man's crazy. It's entertaining though, imagining how people must have reacted to him when he was saying all these insane things...
Chris Feldman
Poor Lenny was crucified by J. Ogre Hoover for doing the kind of schtick that made Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy millionaires.
Andrew
Far ahead of his time.
Christina Wilder
Oct 03, 2012 Christina Wilder marked it as to-read
All hail The King.
Alex Labant
Alex Labant is currently reading it
May 04, 2015
Gray_dorian
Gray_dorian marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Aaron Akira
Aaron Akira is currently reading it
Apr 17, 2015
J.w. Larrick
J.w. Larrick marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Steffen
Steffen marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
david a. stroka
david a. stroka marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Davo Harutyunyan
Davo Harutyunyan marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Jamuna.Darchgmail.Com
Jamuna.Darchgmail.Com marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Smash
Smash marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Abe
Abe marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
  • How to Talk Dirty and Influence People
  • The Trials of Lenny Bruce: The Rise and Fall of an American Icon
  • Ladies and Gentlemen, Lenny Bruce!!
  • American Scream
  • Love All the People: Letters, Lyrics, Routines
  • Bill Hicks: Agent of Evolution
  • Monty Python's Big Red Book
  • The Nearest Far Away Place: Brian Wilson, the Beach Boys, and the Southern California Experience
  • Mr. Mike: The Life and Work of Michael O'Donoghue
  • As Used On the Famous Nelson Mandela: Underground Adventures in the Arms and Torture Trade
  • Modern Manners: An Etiquette Book for Rude People
  • Tragically I Was an Only Twin: The Complete Peter Cook
  • The Lazy Man's Guide to Enlightenment
  • The ‘If You Prefer a Milder Comedian, Please Ask for One’ EP
  • Grand Central Winter: Stories from the Street
  • Adventures In A Tv Nation
  • Humanism: A Very Short Introduction
  • Three Bits Of Fry And Laurie
Lenny Bruce, born Leonard Alfred Schneider, was a controversial American stand-up comedian, writer, social critic and satirist of the 1950s and 1960s. His 1964 conviction in an obscenity trial was also controversial, eventually leading to the first posthumous pardon in New York history.
More about Lenny Bruce...
How to Talk Dirty and Influence People The Almost Unpublished Lenny Bruce: From the Private Collection of Kitty Bruce Let the Buyer Beware Shut Your Mouth & Open Your Mind Legendary Berkeley Concert (Comedy Club S.)

“Satire is tragedy plus time. You give it enough time, the public, the reviewers will allow you to satirize it. Which is rather ridiculous, when you think about it.” 42 likes
“…Catholicism is like Howard Johnson, and what they have are these franchises and they give all these people different franchises in the different countries but they have one government, and when you buy the Howard Johnson franchise you can apply it to the geography - whatever's cool for that area - and then you, you know, pay the bread to the main office.” 4 likes