Start by marking “The One (The Portal Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The One (The Portal Trilogy, #1)

The One (The Portal Trilogy #1)

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  433 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
Stranded on Earth two thousand years they’ve waited for the arrival of the One: some to save her, others to kill her. With her birth, the ancient prophecy could at last be fulfilled and the doorway between the worlds would open. Those who know the prophecy believe this event occurred almost eighteen years ago, and now, they’ll stop at nothing to find her.

Seventeen-year-old
Published June 15th 2012 by Heather Self

To ask other readers questions about The One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The One

Significance by Shelly CraneRecalled by Cambria HebertPrince of Wolves by Quinn LoftisInescapable by Amy A. BartolJust One Drop by Quinn Loftis
UtopYA Con 2013
58th out of 222 books — 276 voters
Insurgent by Veronica RothOnyx by Jennifer L. ArmentroutObsidian by Jennifer L. ArmentroutThe Golden Lily by Richelle MeadCity of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare
Must-Read Books of 2012
119th out of 443 books — 457 voters

More lists with this book...

Patrycja
Nov 16, 2014 Patrycja rated it did not like it
Actually it's 1.5 stars. Only becouse of awesome cover ( I know, I know I'm cover whore, sue me for that)

When I added this book to my TBR pile few months ago I thought this book will rock my world, I just hoped that it will be good, you know? Girl can dream.

But it isn't amazing, it isn't good, this book isn't even tolerable. IT IS JUST PLAIN HORRIBLE. You can't belive in my words? You really want to read this even if I say big NO? So go, buy it and then read it, and feel exactly this same as
Nancy
Oct 06, 2012 Nancy rated it it was amazing
5 BIG FAT, I can't wait for the sequel STARS!!!

I guess I need to start this review with HOLY MOLY, stop reading this review, and go buy this book!!! Not convinced? I was hooked by the 3% mark on my kindle! Okay, let me see what I can say to convince you without giving too much of this amazing book away. . .

The main character is Evy (Eveline), she’s in high school. The book starts out with her moving schools, again. My heart went out with her as she had moved so often she’d never really been abl
Carmen
Apr 01, 2013 Carmen rated it it was amazing
Intriguing, interesting, original and unique! An amazing fantasy, and very cute at moments (and hot.. *cough cough*) AND WAY. WAY. TOO. MANY HOT GUYS. Seriously, unnatural. *passes out* Not that I'm complaining. x). I NEED MORE. I. MUST. KNOW. MORE.

I AM DYING FOR BOOK TWO!
Autumn Review
Jun 16, 2012 Autumn Review rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, review
My Take:
I'm going to go ahead and start by saying, CONGRATULATIONS HEATHER on your debut novel! I was fortunate to get a sneak peak at the book a while back and definitely liked what I read. I was highly anticipating the release of the final product. I must say, it blew my expectations out of the water. I really like dragon stories if done well. This one was. I fell for all of the characters.

I immediately liked Eveline. She's led a somewhat unusual life. Eveline has kaleidoscope eyes and streak
Radiant
Jun 18, 2012 Radiant rated it really liked it
Quick and easy read with equal amounts of adventure,twist,magic, romance in it!

Evy is the 'one'..the prophecy girl to open a portal between two worlds and a chance to go back from where she came from..a non human land.

Her eyes swirls in four colors so is her multi streaked colored hair due to her mixed genes which makes her appearance more than human n normal!

Now that she has burden of prophecy on her shoulders Evy can't understand what and how to do and the stupid linings of prophecy are not so
Makayla
Jun 20, 2012 Makayla rated it really liked it
I've always said that what sells a book, for me, are the characters. And it's not as simple as, I like these characters, I don't like these characters. In fact, if I have strong feelings of any sort towards a character, then the author has most likely accomplished their job. If I don't care about the characters, however, then I won't care about the book. And I did indeed enjoy these characters.

My favorite part was the large family atmosphere. I've grown up in one, and I've always thought that si
Sara
Aug 24, 2012 Sara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, aliens, nook
I really loved this book and it was so hard to put down! And oh man, that ending! I NEED THE NEXT BOOK!

Evy is a seventeen year old girl that is from another planet, but her kind has been stuck on earth forever. There is a prophesy that talks about "the One" that will save them and open the portal back to home. She is the One. The prophesy has a few others that are mentioned to help her, the Guardian, the Dark, and the Keeper. They are trying to figure out the prophesy and who is involved so ever
Beth Weston
Aug 04, 2012 Beth Weston rated it it was amazing
Ok, so if I had to describe this book in a few short words it would be this...seriously original awesome urban fantasy. Evy's race has been stranded on Earth for 2,000 years. She is only 17 years old and her family hopes she is the One, the savior of her race that was prophesied about thousands of years ago. One of the things I liked most about this book was that Evy's family did not try to hide who or what they were from their daughter. I mean, how many books have you read where the main charac ...more
LeAnn
Jun 21, 2012 LeAnn rated it really liked it
My only problem with this book is that it was too short!! Plus the ending was pretty abrubt and I'm screaming in my head "NOOOOOO!" I feel like I had just gotten to the exciting part of the story and then BAM it's over, so I really can't wait for the next one.

And the BOYS! Damn, Heather knows how to create some pretty swoon worthy male leads! At this point, I think I'm all for Keiran but I do have a soft spot for Chase. It's just so hard to decide!

I don't know who edited this book, or if it's
Andrea
Jan 28, 2013 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite
I loved this book Eveline is an awesome character. An way to go Heather I don't think there can ever be to many hot guys in one book! I love that!! I love the story and the love triangle an I really don't care who she ends up with they are both hot an beautiful an drool worthy. I can't wait for the next book it's going to be amazing. I neeeed the next book
Cathlin
Mar 27, 2015 Cathlin rated it really liked it
A unique storyline with a sort of alien race from a dragon shifter realm. I definitely kept flipping pages desperate to find out who was who and what was going on just like the main heroine. I loved the introduction and development of Eveline. I also love that the prophecy about her doesn't seem to be a predestined one, more like one that could happen or could not given the circumstances and free will (option of choice). I can't wait to see what role each of her love interests will play (definit ...more
Jean
Apr 03, 2015 Jean rated it liked it
Kristyna
Jun 05, 2014 Kristyna rated it it was amazing
The One by Heather Self took me by complete surprise, as the sixth book on my #UtopYA2014 reading list, I don’t know why I have any expectations at all. The bar keeps continuously getting raised.

The first part of this book was a little difficult to relate to initially. A lot happens and the reader is immediately immersed into Eveline’s world. I think the first thing that threw me off was the first hot guy she runs into ends up being related to her so it’s a little disconcerting when it seems lik
Sep 03, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Eveline has moved from place to place her whole life as her parents struggle to keep her safe. See, Evy is not your normal 17 year old girl...there's this prophecy about how she's supposed to save her people. So naturally there are those who want to keep her from fulfilling this prophecy. But as she nears the age of transition her parents make the decision to settle her among other's of her own kind where they believe she will be safe. As she gets acclimated to her new school and makes friends f ...more
Kayleigh {K-Books}
Sep 17, 2012 Kayleigh {K-Books} rated it it was amazing
The One Review on K-Books

"Besides, I do love to play knight in shining armour to a beautiful damsel in distress."

When I first heard that my good friend Heather Self had a book out I instantly just needed to read it. She is totally awesome so I knew her book was going to be amazing. But... I was in no way prepared for the awesomeness of this book. I can barely speak right now. There are no words to explain just how much I adored this book. It completely blew me away.

Eveline is a Kin, a dragon a
Angela ReadingCave
Nov 10, 2012 Angela ReadingCave rated it it was amazing
All her life Evy has been on the run, moving periodically once her parents felt there was a danger. You see, they believe that she is The One. She however, rolls her eyes at this and kinda just rolls with whatever. Not really believing her folks.

They move in the middle of her senior year but promise tat this si the last place they are going to be moving to. So once settled Evy starts to make friends, Jenna and Kai. She discover that she has an older brother, Liam. She did not remember him but s
Mary
Sep 01, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing
review is on www.booknerdsacrossamerica.com

I began talking to Heather Self on twitter. (She can be found @heatherself). At the time I thought she was just another book lover like me, until I figured out she was an author. *hangs head* I need to ask more questions when I am talking to people on Twitter. However, I purchased her book on Amazon but did not get to it right away. You know me ... the never ending "to-read" list. I should kick my own butt for not reading it the second I got it on my Ki
Jenni Lind
Aug 01, 2012 Jenni Lind rated it liked it
I debated on giving this book a 3 or 4 star review. I very much enjoyed the story-line and concept in this book but found the characters a bit one-dimensional and the story felt very rushed in sections.

Eve seems to be able to adapt so well in the story to certain radical situations she finds herself in, simply throwing a small fit and then excepts them almost immediately, while in things involving her love life she struggles understanding and acceptance to basic things severely. If she's one to
Valerie
Jul 15, 2012 Valerie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-reads
Source: eBook copy from author in exchange for a fair and honest review

My Summary:

At seventeen and in her senior year of high school, Eveline should be enjoying her life. Not so much since this is her sixth school in four years as her parents have tried to keep them one step ahead of those that seek to kill her. What'd she ever do to them? Yeah, pretty much be born. She's the ONE or so her parents tell her. The one that supposed to fulfill an ancient prophecy to save her race by reopening a por
The Y.A. Bookworm Blogger
Sep 09, 2012 The Y.A. Bookworm Blogger rated it really liked it
Read FULL Review At: The Y.A. Bookworm Blogger

The One is the first instalment in The Portal Trilogy by author Heather Self. I stumbled upon this book while I was browsing away on Valerie's blog Stuck In Books- the post was called "Eve and Chase from THE ONE review Obsidian". Although I had not heard of The One before, seeing Obsidian in the title roped me right in- and I'm so glad it did! Without that post, I may have never gotten the privilege of reading this fantastic and hot novel! The One s
A.E. Field
Aug 05, 2012 A.E. Field rated it really liked it
So, I was really impressed for a debut novel. It was interesting, had strong characters and a decent plot line. I'm anxious to have the whole alien thing explained a little more. I'm sure we will probably see that when Evy goes through transition in another book but I didn't quite get the whole alien thing. To me it was like they were humans with super powers. I would have liked to see the differences between the two.

I loved the whole prophecy and the connection with Kai and Kieran but I have t
Kristy
Jul 10, 2012 Kristy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
I LOVED this book. After reading the blurb I didn't think I would. The idea of a girl who is predestined to be the saviour of the world she lives in, as well as the world her 'people' come from and who must fulfill a prophesy in order to do this, did not grab my attention. It's not the kind of paranormal book I would usually read (I generally prefer my PNR to have plenty of shifters and alpha-males), but this was fantastic! Don't just take my word for it, read the other reviews!

The characters in
Heather Robbins
Jun 20, 2012 Heather Robbins rated it it was amazing
OMG!! so good ;) Full Review with Images at www.supagurlbooks.blogspot.com

I have been waiting to read this for just a bit *note not as long as some* but yeah. I had a feeling it was going to be Awesome.... I was Totally Right! This is Heather's Debut novel and she hit it out of the park.

Great story line and executed very well! Within the first 2 or 3 chapters you fall into it no problem. I was also like #Woah at one point, not mad but GREAT writing :) You will see...

Eveline *shorting to E* is
Shanna
Aug 31, 2012 Shanna rated it it was amazing
I first discovered Heather through twitter. I was following some other authors I love and they would converse back and forth with someone named Heather Self and she was talking about a book she was writing. I must admit, I first noticed her because we have the same last name (well, my maiden) and it's not very common. At least where I live. She would talk about her book, and give little hints, finally some teasers! By then, I was hooked and could not wait for this book to be released!!! It final ...more
Gloria Green
Oct 19, 2012 Gloria Green rated it it was amazing
If you love Dragons and Elementals you will love this book. This is a story about an alien race called Kin. On earth they are dragons in human like appearence that gain elemental powers when they transition or mature. Most importantly it's about Eveline, a Kin who will soon be going through her transition and is believed to be The One Kin who can fufill an ancient prophecy and save the Kin race and their world.

Now if you love guys with accents then you are really in luck. Evy is surrounded by t
Tarra

Now that is a good read!

I really liked this book alot. I did some minor eye rolling but for the most part the protagonist, Evy, was not some weak, annoying girl. She knew her destiny and freaking embraced it and that is what I'm thankful for!

So thank you Ms. Self for writing someone I can be happy reading about. And that cliffhanger...when's the next book release date? Don't leave me hanging.

Evy had the luck of all the hot guys (complete with gorgeous Australian and Irish accents I mi
LoLo
Jul 20, 2015 LoLo rated it it was amazing
It had me wanting more.. But before you start reading this book, please know that the next book isn't out as of yet. (July 2015) Had I known this before hand I wouldn't have read it yet. It leaves you wanting more and that's just isn't going to happen yet. This book doesn't have much action and some of the characters aren't well explained but definitely worth reading. I can't wait for the next and will be reading it!
Melissa Railey
Dec 22, 2015 Melissa Railey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, tbr-challenge
I picked this book up at the Decatur Book Festival last year. I really loved the cover but for some reason, I totally missed what this book was about. I though it was going to be a dystopia novel. Not in the least. BUT I absolutely loved it. It is a terrific fantasy novel. I loved the characters, the myth and lore, the mysteriousness about just who Evy is. Oh and let's not forget about all the totally hot guys. I think I know which guy I want Evy to end up with but I could probably be persuaded. ...more
Yasmine
Jan 12, 2014 Yasmine rated it really liked it
Strong points:
- Unique and awesome storyline
- Strong characters
- Evy is easy to identify with
- Thought I had it all figured out, but turned out to be different
- Chase(!!!), Liam and Kieran

Less awesome points:
- The ending felt kind of rushed
- Didn't like the whole insta-love thing (view spoiler)
- I felt like Kieran
Chris Honegger
Sep 07, 2014 Chris Honegger rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. I didn't want to put it down (which is bad when you start reading in the evening and have to be up by 5). Anyway, the story line is really good and does not come off like a rehash of other books...which I love.

I can't wait for the next book to come out.
how would you describe the book in one sentence? 1 3 May 12, 2014 09:59AM
Kieran? or Chase? 9 19 Feb 09, 2014 02:46PM
  • Flutter (The Discover, #1)
  • Defy (Firstborn Trilogy, #1)
  • The Modified (The Biotics Trilogy, #1)
  • Cornerstone (Cornerstone, #1)
  • Sovereign Hope (Hope, #1)
  • Blue Violet (Svatura, #1)
  • Alight: The Peril (Pyxis, #2)
  • Dream Lover
  • Touch (Reaper #1)
  • I Am Alive (I Am Alive, #1)
  • Verita (Verita, #1)
  • Semester Aboard (More than Magic, #1)
  • Don't You Remember?
  • What I've Done
  • Slack Tide
  • The Shapeshifter's Secret (The Shapeshifter's Secret, #1)
  • Before You Go
  • Whispers in Autumn (The Last Year, #1)

The Portal Trilogy (2 books)
  • the Dark (The Portal Trilogy #1.5)

“Well, you're going to have to put your arms around me. Then hold on really tight. You may want to close your eyes too."

"All that is for transporting?"
"Was there something else you'd prefer to be doing?"
Fortunately, Dad intervened before I could respond to his comment. "Really, Chase? Still in the room here. That's my daughter you're flirting with. You really want to go there?”
11 likes
“Now, I believe the best way for you to learn is immersion and since we can't teleport you all to France," he grinned at me, and there were once again sighs from the girls. "I'll be speaking only in French and will expect you to do the same. Is anyone here already proficient in the language?" I narrowed my eyes at him. He knew darn well I was fluent in French and several other languages. "Eveline, I believe your dad mentioned at dinner the other night that you are?"

What was he doing? "Umm. Yes-"

He shook his head at me. "En français s'il vous plait." More sighs from the class. I clenched my jaw and spoke rapidly. "Oui, Monsieur Smith. Je parle français. Qu'est-ce que tu veux?" Yes, Mr.Smith. I speak French. What do you want?

His eyes smoldered and caressed my face as he delivered his swift reply, "Je veux plus de toi que vous imaginez, ma petit lueur.”
9 likes