A Lot Like A Lady

A Lot Like A Lady (Lady #1)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Ladies’ maid, Juliet Baines has gotten herself into a pickle by agreeing to go to London and taking the place of her mistress and best friend, Annabella Price, stepsister to the Duke of Wyndham. After all, what does a servant know about being a lady? But Juliet soon finds that pretending to be a lady isn’t nearly as hard as guarding her heart against the folly of wanting a...more
ebook, First, 296 pages
Published March 26th 2012 by Astraea Press (first published March 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Lot Like A Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Lot Like A Lady

Leah Sanders
Stayed up way too late and read the rest at work! Could not put it down... The main characters are so well written. The plot was smooth and tied everything together. There were only two loose ends and those are fodder for other novels (which I can't wait to read now, btw!).

Juliet takes her mistress's place in London at the duke's house, and is constantly worried she would be found out. She goes in to it thinking the duke is an arrogant, insensitive and callous fellow who cares nothing for anyone...more
Arlena
Author: Kay Springsteen and Kim Bowman
Published by: Astraea Press
Age Recommended: Adult
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Book Blog For: GMTA
Rating: 5

Review:

"A Lot Like A Lady" By Kay Springsteen and Kim Bowman was like a true story coming to life in this Regency, mystery, historical and romantic setting between Juliet and Grey along with characters that were so well developed and the humorous cast of secondary characters were simply off the chart good. We find this story is in the 19th century English w...more
Sherry
e-book gifted by author in return for a fair an honest review.

Authors Kay Springsteen and Kim Bowman take a well worn plot and breathe fresh life, humour and a bunch of zany characters into their story and bring it to life with a vibrancy and immediacy that persuades readers to ‘let go and enjoy’.
Mz. Bowman and Springsteen are both well established authors in their own right and A Lot Like A Lady is their debut offering as writing partners. Let’s hope they create many more stories together.

So wh...more
Cheri
Ladies maid Juliet Baines goes to London in place of Annabella. While in London Juliet fears she will be unable to act like a lady and will be found out. A very well written story, if your looking for a clean read, this one is a little racey. There is a sequel to come out later this summer!
Kathy
3.5

First, I just have to say thanks to my good friend Deb for gifting me this book. It not only came at the perfect time, but provided a much needed escape.

I actually ended up really liking this one, I wasn’t sure I would at first. I didn’t like Annabella and didn’t like her motivations or that Juliet so easily agreed. I did like that Grey caught on rather quickly though, him knowing made me like the story more. I did like Juliet though, she was a likable heroine. It was fun to see her excitem...more
Staci
This book was hard to put down and flowed so well that as I came to the end of it, I was disappointed to see that it had almost gone by too quickly. It is charming, realistic, and a clean Cinderella love story. While romance and the character’s feelings do heat up in this book, it is not just lust that they are after and it adds a realistic shade of depth to the writing, as well as some modesty that makes it easy for anyone to read and makes it true to its time period. It is heartwarming, witty,...more
Alisi ☆ needs to stop starting new books ☆
A Lot Like a Lady is about Juliet, a lady's maid, who takes the place of her mistress in London (as she doesn't want to have a season herself.)

I'm not certain where to begin with this book. Yes, romance books are all kinds of cheesiness. That's part of the appeal so I didn't go into this book expecting more of anything, tbh. Still, I'd give this book 1.5 stars.

This book has an interest/original premise, okay characters, but the execution was horrible, thereby ruining the book.

There is no plot in...more
Phoenix77
This was just the type of book I needed after two disappointing reads. I loved this story, but I’m the type of reader who will willingly suspend my disbelief to see an HEA for the characters. Juliet’s debut in London had me laughing so hard and the quirks of all the side characters kept the tone of the story very light. The romance between Grey and Juliet was very sweet (i.e. Clean). Juliet’s character was so open and joyful in her experiences that I found myself empathizing with her pain when a...more
Tanisha M
Carrie
Juliet dreamed of having her very own Duke since she was a little girl even though as a servant, she didn't believe it would ever happen. Then an unexpected twist of fate happened and she started to believe the impossible just may be possible.

Grey has spent years trying to handle the loss of his father. After horrible words, he has spent years trying to find his younger brother. Given all this grief to deal with, he must keep up the facade of being the proper Duke of Wyndham.

Grey has avoided b...more
Patricia
A Exploration into the meaning of "Lady"
Desperate teenage girls have apparently always been the bane of their parents (or guardians) existence. In this particular adventure, an aristocratic girl convinces her maid to go to London in her place. The girls have the "rescue" of the maid planned out, but like many best laid plans, this one goes astray. (I suspect there is a book in that!) The story's movement from Grey's point-of-view to Juliet's is smooth, and draws the reader further into the story...more
Patricia
AN EXCELLENT, HUMOROUS ROMANCE
In true fairytale fashion, this book begins with the duke meeting a commoner. Unlike usual, in this case, the girl is merely six years old, and the duke is - well, much older. The girl's mother has come to this place with the Duke's new wife, and so the stage is set.
Years later. Our girl is a young woman - Juliet. Amazingly, her best friend is the step-daughter to the Duke. The Duke is dead, and his wife, now a widow, has come to the realization that in order for he...more
Suzie Hull
A deliciously sweet romance between ladies maid Juliet Baines and the Duke of Wyndham, otherwise known as Grey. Juliet is masquerading as Grey's stepsister Anabelle. In exchange for getting Annabelle off the hook and avoiding Grey whom she declares is detestable and unkind, Juliet gets her week or two of fun in London with time to see the sights and enjoy all it offers. Only she doesn't expect to not only like Grey, but fall completely in love with him. Therin lies the problem, and the book is a...more
RIF
Couldnt get past the fact that the hero suspects she's an imposter but weeks go by without him investigating where his real step sis is.
Leah
Juliet has always dreamed of her very own Duke since she was a young child even though, because of her station in life, she felt it would never happen. Through circumstance, she is thrown into a situation that brings her dream Duke within arms reach.

Grey has spent years dealing with the grief of losing his father and trying to track down his younger brother, all the while hiding behind a facade of the proper Duke of Wyndham. He has avoided at all costs having to deal with his step mother and ste...more
Jamie Kiefer
This book is cute. I wish it had focused a little more on the aunts and Uncle Lucien just because I love humor and I felt the author had the perfect opportunity to really liven it up through these characters. I'm not sure which book was written first. This one or "Something Like a Lady" but both books are about two young ladies who change positions in there station. One Lady Annabella and the other her ladies maid Juliet. Juliet ends up going to London for the season in Annabella's place. She is...more
Angi Neal
What a great book!! I love a story that clashes against the classes. Juliet is stuck doing something she knows she shouldn't do but does out of duty to her employer. She ends up in a wonderful fairy tale. Grey is a good man who seemingly is misunderstood. He finds himself drawn to Juliet and life will never be the same. There are great side stories and mysteries that are not easy to see out until the end. This is a wonderful read!! I was gifted this book in exchange for my honest review.
Kathy Heare Watts
Truly a delightful story with very likeable characters. Ladies maid, Juliet Baines, reluctantly agrees to Annabella Price's ridiculous ruse of acting as Annabella and going to London, accompanies by two spinster Aunts, Charity and Harmony. Staying with Annabella's stepbrother, Graeme "Grey" Roland Dominick Markwythe, Sixth Duke of Wyndham, who is to help her with a season in London among the ton.

I honestly was laughing out loud at some on the antics and found this story very entertaining. It had...more
Christine
There were so many great moments in this story- hilarious ones, sad ones and loving ones. Juliet helps her friend Duchess Annabella and finds herself in a sticky situation. Duke Grey is not happy with his inlaws, his brother, with his life when Annabella comes to stay with him along with her aunts. I really enjoyed this great story and can't wait to find out more about what happens with Annabella.

I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
InD'Tale Magazine
This is an unusual concept for a story. A heroine who is a servant (not a noblewoman in disguise) is not something one comes across often.

Read full review in the 2012 September issue of InD’tale Magazine.
Englishrose
This was a wonderfully sweet and fun romance, reminiscent of the books that got me reading romances in the first place. Juliet is classically sweet and innocent. Gray is smitten and effectively avoids the possible truths right in front of him. Their chemistry is great and there are some pretty awesome kissing scenes. The side characters of the aunts and Uncle Lucien were lots of fun throughout the story, giving fullness and completeness. Though there are several open options to make other books...more
Brandi Streeval
i got this e-book for review from the Author, i really enjoyed this book alot, i could hardly put down my nook to go to sleep at night i kept on thinking just one more page, i really liked the parts about the Masquerades alot, the main characters are very interesting at first Grey seems mean and rude but when you read more of the story he becomes nicer, i really hardly ever read romance books or historical books but i am really glad i read this 1 i enjoyed it alot, if you like romance books or h...more
Elisha
Very much enjoyed the story. The aunts kept me smiling throughout the novel with their antics and "looks". Apparently I read this couplet out of order so I already knew what happened on the other end with Annabella but it in no way diminished Juliet's story. In fact I think I enjoyed this one more than Something Like A Lady. I found Annabella hard to relate to while Juliet was more, well, me. And we all like to read a good romance novel that involves ourselves. ;)
Ruth Hartman
I loved "A Lot Like a Lady". What's not to love about a historical romance set in London? Juliet and Grey will steal your heart, as you watch their relationship unfold. Juliet, a commoner, doesn't see any way that she and Grey, a duke, can be together. The rules of the ton make sure of that. But, what if there was a way? Never mind Juliet has deceived the duke, and isn't even who he thinks she is. True love wins. Always.

Can't wait for the sequel :)
Charissa
This was a very well-written book. The characters were drawn out in such a way that I loved them; the writing wasn’t fluffy like a lot of these books can be. I loved the plot and the misunderstandings which led to pain, heartache, familial tension/disattachment, and of course, marrying for love even under the strict regime of well-bred vs. commoner status. Bravo to these two authors!
The TBR Pile *Book review site*
Full Review: http://thetbrpile.weebly.com/1/post/2...

Grey and Juliet had great chemistry. I really enjoyed their banter and eventually their romance. This historical novel was a great addition to the genre. This was such a sweet read and it was a nice change from the more explicit books I’ve been reading.
Sandra Nachlinger
A delightful story with characters I loved. I felt transported back to the early 1800s--the glamorous balls, social customs, and formal speech and attitudes. What fun! I think what I liked best about both Juliet and Grey was that they were both decent people -- trying to do the right thing, even when they messed up. I also liked that they admitted their mistakes.
Melanie
This book was a fun, clean read! Juliet is the maid to Annabella and agrees to go to London in her place. She tries hard to act the part of a proper lady but does Annabella's stepbrother Grey know she's an imposter?

One story line was left hanging and will be addressed in the sequel, Something Like a Lady, which will hopefully be out soon!
Eliza
Lovely story with lovely characters and witty writing - those crazy old aunts are especially brilliant characters!
Alas there was nothing more than kissing for me to perve on in this book, and some parts can stretch a little long or be a bit soppy for my taste.
Still, a good read if you're firmly in love with the regency romance genre.
Lara
A Lot Like a Lady is a fun, engaging read.

Every girl's dream is to find their Prince...and Juliet does just that in her mistress stepbrother. The only problem is she is suppossed to be acting like her mistress, and not a servant in love with her employer. Will Juliet end up with her Romeo...

Read from a PDF given to me by a RC.
Astraea Press Boo...: A Lot Like A Lady available for Review 1 6 Aug 16, 2012 10:22AM
Goodreads Authors...: New Sweet Regency 1 8 Apr 27, 2012 08:49AM
Clean Reads: New Regency 1 22 Mar 30, 2012 03:30PM
Clean Romances: Brand new Regency 1 23 Mar 30, 2012 03:28PM
  • A Bright Particular Star (Cavanagh Family, #2)
  • Upon A Midnight Dream (London Fairy Tales, #1)
  • His Brother's Bride (Banks Brothers Bride, #4)
  • Glimmer of Hope
  • The Guise of a Gentleman (Rogue Hearts, #2)
  • Miss Delacourt Speaks Her Mind (Avalon Romance)
  • The Rejected Suitor
  • One Thread Pulled: The Dance with Mr. Darcy
  • One Classic Latin Lover, Please
  • A Little Bit Wicked (Forbidden Love, #1)
  • And Then Comes Marriage (Worthington, #2)
  • Falling for Mr. Darcy
Heartsight Lifeline Echoes The Toymaker Something Like A Lady (Lady, #2) Teach Me Under the Mistletoe