Start by marking “Come and Join the Dance” as Want to Read:
Come and Join the Dance

Come and Join the Dance

Joyce Johnson's first novel (published under her maiden name, of course). A novel from the Beat generation.
Hardcover
Published 1962 by Atheneum (first published 1961)

Jenn Storey
Jan 21, 2016 Jenn Storey rated it really liked it
I had a few questions along the way - a few points where I was unsure what she was (literally) trying to say on the micro level. Macro level? Artfully composed. The lines of tension are perfect. Our protagonist is a universal character coming of age at a time when women weren't allowed to come of age. This is something most female readers will be able to relate to, understand, and dissect for both personal growth and literary commentary to bring into the Beat conversation. A.K.A. Susan is a very ...more
Zara Rahman
Sep 15, 2015 Zara Rahman rated it it was amazing
This is a short book, but a charming one. I never knew this until recently, when a friend recommended this book to me, but Joyce Johnson was the first woman novelist of the Beat generation. Reading about that time from a female perspective puts it in a whole new light for me (and almost makes me a bit embarrassed that I never asked earlier - where are the women writers from this period?)

Really, really recommended, especially for those who have read Kerouac or are interested in that period.
Kylie
May 11, 2015 Kylie rated it it was amazing
I kinda feel like I wrote this book in another life. But it wasn't what I expected at the same time, which is actually pretty wonderful. Joyce Johnson is enthralling to me, and this might be one of my favorite Beat books I've read so far. I love Jack Kerouac, but this book actually gave a meaning behind the Beat actions. It wasn't just to rebel or find the next kick, it was to find who you are, who you love, and what you love. It is devastatingly beautiful.
Brittney
Mar 09, 2015 Brittney rated it really liked it
I love Joyce Johnson. This book is an excellent representation of the hopelessness and beauty of the Beat Era. It is a great look at the misfits and artists of that time. Susan is wonderful with her desire to fit in by not fitting in, and her desire to find her place amongst this society. Well.done.
Steve
Jun 07, 2014 Steve rated it really liked it
This is a quiet novel and an easy read. The narration is almost too subtle, but the story, on the surface only about sex, delves into a woman coming into her own.
Tommy
Tommy rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2007
kramaprasad
kramaprasad rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2017
Daniel
Daniel rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2014
Chloe
Chloe rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2015
Celine
Celine rated it it was ok
Jun 15, 2017
Adrienna
Adrienna rated it it was ok
Jan 01, 2016
S
S rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2014
Aly Pavitt
Aly Pavitt rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2017
Kither Mydeen
Kither Mydeen rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2017
Angie
Angie rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2014
Luqman
Luqman rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2015
Rwb8765
Rwb8765 rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2014
Tiana
Tiana rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Derek
Derek rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2015
Rachael Elliott
Aug 17, 2012 Rachael Elliott rated it it was amazing
Favorite book of all time. Need an original version.
Mandi
Mandi rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2016
Lauren Cardon
Lauren Cardon rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2017
Fre
Fre rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Zachary
Zachary rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2013
Lozan M. Omar
Lozan M. Omar rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2015
Aaron Ferguson
Aaron Ferguson rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2014
Lynn
Lynn rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2014
Raven
Raven rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Kamaran Mustaffa
Kamaran Mustaffa rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2015
Born Joyce Glassman to a Jewish family in Queens, New York, Joyce was raised on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, just around the corner from the apartment of William S. Burroughs and Joan Vollmer Burroughs. Allen Ginsberg and Kerouac were frequent visitors to Burroughs' apartment.
At the age of 13, Joyce rebelled against her controlling parents and began hanging out in Washington Square. She matri
More about Joyce Johnson...