Start by marking “Cowboys” as Want to Read:
Cowboys

Cowboys

The life of a cowboy driving a cattle herd was hard. It took a person with grit to drive a thousand head of longhorns along the Chisholm Trail. Cowboys faced badlands, lightning storms, and deadly twisters. But they also found time to swap stories around the campfire. David L. Harrison has created a cast of tough-as-leather cowboys who speak their minds in twenty-two enter ...more
Published 2012 by WordSong

To ask other readers questions about Cowboys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cowboys

Linda
This anthology tells the story of the experience of cowboys during the incredible cattle drives which happened before the pioneers and the trains came west. There was only one way to get the meat to market, bring the cattle thousands of miles north from Texas to Abilene or Wichita. David Harrison has captured both the challenges and the beauty of a cowboy’s life during a drive. There is “Mending Fence” speaking of ‘twelve miles of fence…like a pencil drawing out my future.” There is “Cookie” who ...more
Hilary
Jun 13, 2012 Hilary rated it really liked it
In “Cowboys,” Poet David Harrison and illustrator Dan Burr team up for the second time to create a companion piece to “Pirates.” “Cowboys,” is a collection of 22 free-verse poems that brings the gritty experience of herding longhorns on the Chisholm Trail to life. Cowboys drove cattle over the 1000-mile Chisholm Trail from Texas to Abilene, Kansas for several decades, before the railroads, refrigeration, and increased numbers of settlers made this method of getting steers to market obsolete. The ...more
Barbara
Mar 28, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, animals, ncbla2013
This book is sure to be a hit with middle grade boys and girls who dream of riding the range and herding cattle across the country. In 22 poems, some for two voices, the poet pays tribute to the men responsible for moving enormous herds of cattle from one place to another, usually from Texas to Kansas where they would be sold. But life on the trail was challenging and lonely at times, and the poems put the lie to romantic versions of a cowboy's life. Since baths were a luxury on the trail, thing ...more
Aleisha Douthitt
May 03, 2016 Aleisha Douthitt rated it really liked it
The illustrations are paintings, but they are so life like that they seem to be photographs! These poems are really comical and interesting. Cowboys are a topic that interests a lot of children and I think they would really like the poems in this book. The poems describe the ways that life is for the cowboys and the different things they encounter on a daily basis. The comedy makes them interesting and a very different type of poetry.
Sam Gallagher
May 03, 2016 Sam Gallagher rated it really liked it
Cowboys are a rough and tough gang tellin' stories round the fire in this book of cowboy poems. Illustrated in digital paintings that really add a lot of life to the book, this series of poems will get any kids reading. With fun language that is great to read aloud, the cowboys tell of storms and people and cows and camp stories. I would use this book in my classroom to give a new perspective on the culture of cowboys and also to get boy readers more interested in poetry.
Donalyn
I don't know why I'm so offended by books that perpetuate Texas stereotypes, but I am. Any kids' book that includes references to "Indians" and gambling raises my eyebrows, too. The only women mentioned are the one left behind and the saloon girls. Perhaps, the author should visit the Cowgirl Museum in Ft. Worth.
Mackenzie Beals
May 14, 2014 Mackenzie Beals rated it liked it
Shelves: ed-689
Each poem in this book is told from the perspective of a cowboy. The language is written in exactly the way a cowboy would speak. The painted illustrations are very authentic and bring the poems to life. You are able to picture how cowboys live. This book would be the best fit for older grades.
Judy Desetti
May 07, 2012 Judy Desetti rated it liked it
Shelves: gr-6-7-8, poetry
Illustrations were stunning in this wonderful book with cowboy poetry. Not sure my urban kids have background experience for it but I think it is wonderful exposure to our nation and its rich history and culture.
Chelsea Cotton
May 14, 2014 Chelsea Cotton rated it really liked it
Shelves: ed-689
Harrison does an amazing job showing the hard life of a cowboy during the cattle drive era through short poems. Illustrator Dan Burr makes these poem come to life. A beautiful story of American past.
orangerful
Might be fun to pick and choose a few poems for a storytime or special event for Elementary aged children.
Edward Sullivan
Apr 02, 2012 Edward Sullivan rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Cowpokes, cattle drives, and the like in verse.
Sharon Lawler
Oct 19, 2012 Sharon Lawler rated it really liked it
On each double spread the reader finds a digital painting, which I thought they were oil, and a poem which speaks of all aspects of the cowboy's life. Three of the poems are meant for two voices.
Yoo Kyung Sung
Very cultural.. Often I wonder big part of American English and cowboy culture is like Japanese culture and Samurai influence.. It would be fun to do read aloud
Alycia Goss
Nov 30, 2016 Alycia Goss rated it did not like it
Shelves: ed-230
Cowboys is a poem book about what it is like to do a cattle drives and just be a cowboy. Would be great for older kids who are interested in cowboys
Scott
Sep 04, 2014 Scott rated it liked it
The imagery was very nice in this, in both the art and the text, but the writing didn't really feel like poems. They lacked any real lyricism to me. Over all I liked it though.
Rebecca Terry
Rebecca Terry rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2013
Gabriel
Gabriel rated it it was ok
Jan 08, 2013
Allison
Allison rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2014
Brenda Steffens
Brenda Steffens rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2012
Mary Napoli
Mary Napoli rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2014
Michael Parras
Michael Parras rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2016
Kyra Harwell
Kyra Harwell rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2013
Debbie
Debbie rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2013
Jess
Jess rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2012
Kate Hastings
Apr 09, 2012 Kate Hastings rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Grades 3+. Stunning illustrations and rugged poetry will make you want to saddle up with this book.
Mary Lee
Mary Lee rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2012
Christina
Christina rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2013
Debsta
Debsta rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2014
Virginia
Virginia rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2014
Kristen
Kristen rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2012