Start by marking “O Holy Insurgency” as Want to Read:
O Holy Insurgency

O Holy Insurgency

4.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  33 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Mary Biddinger is the author of the poetry collections Prairie Fever (Steel Toe Books, 2007) and Saint Monica (Black Lawrence Press, 2011), and co-editor of one volume of criticism: The Monkey and the Wrench: Essays into Contemporary Poetics (U Akron P, 2011). Her poems have recently appeared or are forthcoming in Barrelhouse, Bat City Review, Blackbird, H_NGM_N, Forklift, ...more
Paperback, 1st, 91 pages
Published March 19th 2013 by Black Lawrence Press (first published October 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about O Holy Insurgency, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about O Holy Insurgency

Shaindel
May 10, 2014 Shaindel rated it it was amazing
I finished O Holy Insurgency this morning. This is one of those poetry collections I took a while to read because I felt like the poems were dense and complex, and I wanted time to think about them, to read a few poems a night and then re-read them, sometimes starting over at the beginning.

What I loved most was the combined sense of playfulness always toying with the hint of danger underneath. Impeccable!
Robert Beveridge
Feb 25, 2013 Robert Beveridge rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the world!
Mary Biddinger, O Holy Insurgency (Black Lawrence Press, 2013)

The publication of a new book by Mary Biddinger is—or damned well should be—cause for celebration. O Holy Insurgency is her third release, following 2006's Prairie Fever and 2010's Saint Monica, and it's going to continue on in the Goat Central/Popcorn for Breakfast tradition of “every book Mary Biddinger releases gets four and a half stars or higher.” Honestly, I'd be giving this one five if not for a personal quirk. I know it's now
Dillon Welch
Feb 16, 2014 Dillon Welch rated it really liked it
from American Microreviews and Interviews

What is most interesting about Mary Biddinger’s collection, O Holy Insurgency, is also what is most often overlooked in the lap of life: the dizzying specifics, a man watching a newspaper slide into a lake, a “roof [collapsing] / under the weight of its squirrels.” Biddinger dazzles with the ordinary, often reveling in images that are both familiar in content, while still remaining unanticipated by the reader. In “Naturalism”:

...I slipped my arms up
the
Maria Kiguthi
Mar 14, 2013 Maria Kiguthi rated it really liked it
I read each poem at least twice on different occasions. My interpretation was different each time I read a poem. Very good reading for poetry lovers. I received a copy thru Goodreads First Reads.
Tim Tibbitts
Jun 04, 2014 Tim Tibbitts rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Crazy, sexy, cool. I was impressed with Mary Biddinger at the Breaking Genres Workshop at CWRU on May 31, so I picked up a copy of this slim volume of poems. This collection takes the tradition of passionate poems addressed to a lover and turns up the heat:

"...you/invented me with your mouth./We were cut from the same cloth/ of awesomeness. Our glory/ could stop wars. The azaleas shut/ their blooms when you opened/ me. A new kind of reverence/ broke tabletops instead of mending."
Karen
Jul 16, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry-books
Biddinger’s third collection turns the broken Midwest landscape into a utopian world, a place where heroes and heroines could be children buying cigarettes or lovers relishing the feel of broken glass and the smell of gasoline.
Molly
Mar 19, 2014 Molly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poems, pom
(review forthcoming)
Jude
Jude marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Amber McDaniel
Amber McDaniel rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
May 22, 2016
M
M rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Chaille
Chaille rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Noor
Noor rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2016
Terry Everett
Terry Everett marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
aleks
aleks marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Jennifer Saunders
Jennifer Saunders rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2015
Valerie Schwartfigure
Valerie Schwartfigure marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Jesse Baer
Jesse Baer marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Brenda
Brenda rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2015
diana burns
diana burns marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Rochelle Hurt
Rochelle Hurt marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Split Lip Press
Split Lip Press rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2014
Gwinne
Gwinne is currently reading it
May 22, 2014
Tree Riesener
Tree Riesener marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
sculptcha
sculptcha marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2014
Justin Daugherty
Justin Daugherty marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Christian Gerard
Christian Gerard rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Mary Biddinger is the author of five full-length poetry collections, most recently SMALL ENTERPRISE (Black Lawrence Press, 2015) and THE CZAR (Black Lawrence Press, 2016). Her poetry has recently appeared in Denver Quarterly, Green Mountains Review, Gulf Coast, jubilat, Pleiades, and The Laurel Review, among others. She is the editor of the Akron Series in Poetry, and Professor of English at the U ...more
More about Mary Biddinger...