Start by marking “O Holy Insurgency” as Want to Read:
O Holy Insurgency

O Holy Insurgency

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Mary Biddinger is the author of the poetry collections Prairie Fever (Steel Toe Books, 2007) and Saint Monica (Black Lawrence Press, 2011), and co-editor of one volume of criticism: The Monkey and the Wrench: Essays into Contemporary Poetics (U Akron P, 2011). Her poems have recently appeared or are forthcoming in Barrelhouse, Bat City Review, Blackbird, H_NGM_N, Forklift, ...more
Paperback, 1st, 91 pages
Published March 19th 2013 by Black Lawrence Press (first published October 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about O Holy Insurgency, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about O Holy Insurgency

Shaindel
I finished O Holy Insurgency this morning. This is one of those poetry collections I took a while to read because I felt like the poems were dense and complex, and I wanted time to think about them, to read a few poems a night and then re-read them, sometimes starting over at the beginning.

What I loved most was the combined sense of playfulness always toying with the hint of danger underneath. Impeccable!
Robert Beveridge
Feb 25, 2013 Robert Beveridge rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: the world!
Mary Biddinger, O Holy Insurgency (Black Lawrence Press, 2013)

The publication of a new book by Mary Biddinger is—or damned well should be—cause for celebration. O Holy Insurgency is her third release, following 2006's Prairie Fever and 2010's Saint Monica, and it's going to continue on in the Goat Central/Popcorn for Breakfast tradition of “every book Mary Biddinger releases gets four and a half stars or higher.” Honestly, I'd be giving this one five if not for a personal quirk. I know it's now
Dillon Welch
from American Microreviews and Interviews

What is most interesting about Mary Biddinger’s collection, O Holy Insurgency, is also what is most often overlooked in the lap of life: the dizzying specifics, a man watching a newspaper slide into a lake, a “roof [collapsing] / under the weight of its squirrels.” Biddinger dazzles with the ordinary, often reveling in images that are both familiar in content, while still remaining unanticipated by the reader. In “Naturalism”:

...I slipped my arms up
the
Maria Kiguthi
I read each poem at least twice on different occasions. My interpretation was different each time I read a poem. Very good reading for poetry lovers. I received a copy thru Goodreads First Reads.
Tim Tibbitts
Crazy, sexy, cool. I was impressed with Mary Biddinger at the Breaking Genres Workshop at CWRU on May 31, so I picked up a copy of this slim volume of poems. This collection takes the tradition of passionate poems addressed to a lover and turns up the heat:

"...you/invented me with your mouth./We were cut from the same cloth/ of awesomeness. Our glory/ could stop wars. The azaleas shut/ their blooms when you opened/ me. A new kind of reverence/ broke tabletops instead of mending."
Karen
Biddinger’s third collection turns the broken Midwest landscape into a utopian world, a place where heroes and heroines could be children buying cigarettes or lovers relishing the feel of broken glass and the smell of gasoline.
Molly
Mar 19, 2014 Molly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: poems, pom
(review forthcoming)
Valerie Schwartfigure
Valerie Schwartfigure marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Jesse Baer
Jesse Baer marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
diana burns
diana burns marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Rochelle Hurt
Rochelle Hurt marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Gwinne
Gwinne is currently reading it
May 22, 2014
Tree Riesener
Tree Riesener marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
sculptcha
sculptcha marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Justin Daugherty
Justin Daugherty marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Brianna
Brianna marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2013
Bailey
Bailey marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Mary Biddinger is the author of the poetry collections Prairie Fever (Steel Toe Books, 2007), Saint Monica (Black Lawrence Press, 2011), O Holy Insurgency (Black Lawrence Press, 2013), A Sunny Place with Adequate Water (Black Lawrence Press, 2014), and Small Enterprise (Black Lawrence Press, 2015), as well as co-editor of The Monkey and the Wrench: Essays into Contemporary Poetics (University of A ...more
More about Mary Biddinger...
Prairie Fever Saint Monica The Monkey and the Wrench: Essays into Contemporary Poetics A Sunny Place with Adequate Water The Cossack Review (3)