Start by marking “The Day You Saved My Life” as Want to Read:
The Day You Saved My Life

The Day You Saved My Life

3.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  269 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
A child falls into the river, astranger jumps in to rescue him, and four lives are changed for ever

On a perfect summer's day in Paris, tourists on the river watch in shock as a small boy falls into the Seine and disappears below the surface. As his mother stands frozen, a stranger takes a breath and leaps. This is just the beginning of a spellbinding story of passion, hear
Published July 19th 2012 by Sphere (first published April 5th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Day You Saved My Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day You Saved My Life

Barbara Elsborg
Aug 19, 2012 Barbara Elsborg rated it it was ok
Two and a half stars - because there were some aspects I liked but overall, I was disappointed. The story of a young child falling in the Seine and the stranger who jumps into rescue him, sounded as though it was going to be intriquing. The fact that according to the back blurb there is a twist kept me reading, though sadly I'd guessed from the outset what that twist would be.
My problems - The post natal depression thing - I know nothing about this lucky for me - but I fail to be convinced it c
Ann
Dec 05, 2012 Ann rated it liked it
oh so long and drawn out - took me ages to read it and ended by thinking well why did I bother really?
Sue
Jun 20, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, read-2012
This is actually called 'The Day You Saved My Life'; I have just finished reading a review copy, and found it unputdownable. It begins with drama: Joanna, her seriously depressed daughter Holly, and Holly's toddler son Mikey are in Paris for a few days, taking a trip down the Seine on a pleasure boat. We're told in the first sentence of Chapter One that a terrible accident is going to take place, and it's not hard to guess what will happen.

Also on the cruise are James and Alexa, a young couple
Janet Hay
Mar 06, 2014 Janet Hay rated it liked it
I struggled with this book even though I did enjoy it. It was a bit drawn out and it took me longer to read.
Aileen
Jul 16, 2012 Aileen rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, the quote on the front of the book is very true, I
couldn’t put this book down, I thought the book was very easy to read
and follow, I would definitely recommend. The story is told in parts.
Courtney
Jul 23, 2014 Courtney rated it it was ok
This was the last book of my library stack.

+/- The story line was decent, but I predicted very early on what was going to happen between Holly and James, and also what was going to happen with Joanna's and Melissa's relationship.
- I felt like the story dragged on and on and on. I kept thinking it was building up to a big climatic event towards the end .... and then it just ended very subtly.
- It bugged me that some of the words were spelled the British was. Things like 'cosy' instead of 'cozy.'
Lucinda
Aug 02, 2012 Lucinda rated it it was amazing
This heartwarming, poignant story by international bestselling author Louise Candlish has to be one of the most exciting new books that I have read this year which I predict being a firm favorite for summer 2012. Heartbreaking, dramatic and thought-provoking I was swept away by the most emotional story that touched my soul and opened a window into my heart. Once I had begun to read I was unable to stop, feeling reluctant to put it down until the last page. A page-turner that is so absorbing wher ...more
Emma Lowe
Aug 30, 2013 Emma Lowe rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book but wasn't totally impressed with the plot or characters. The story was interesting enough to keep me reading, but my main criticism is that it just isn't believable- there were a couple of drastic, immediate personality changes which failed to convince me at all. The long-awaited twist (highlighted in the blurb) was initially dramatic, but the failure of the characters in the book to react to it, and therefore its lack of impact on any events in the book, meant that it becam ...more
Diane Friswell
Aug 18, 2012 Diane Friswell rated it really liked it
Loved this book. Joanna takes her daughter Holly and grandson Mikey to Paris for a short break also to try to help hollie who is suffering from severe post natal depression. However whilst they are on a boat trip Mikey falls into the Seine. Fortunately a stranger (James) on the boat dives in a rescues him from drowning. James and his wife Alexa are experiencing difficulties in their marriage and as they all return back to London all four of the main characters reassess their lives. And so the fa ...more
Sylvia
Mar 21, 2015 Sylvia rated it really liked it
I quite liked this story although some of it was predictable. Fortunately not through personal experience, I do know post natal depession to be a dreadful illness, it's not going to cured liked that. Although the PND is in the first few pages the very heart of it all the rescue takes over and then so much more, I think it was a "Goodread"
Khairun  Atika
Nov 24, 2013 Khairun Atika rated it liked it
This book is not a book you can easily accept or relate to, because of the way infidelity played out in the end. Well, that is my opinion at least.

However, the prose was rich in terms of the portrayal of intense emotions, and it is raw and uninhibited. Be it Alexa's carnal instincts when confronting Holly, or James' lust for someone else other than his wife, the book does leave you gasping in awe. What will happen next? Why is everything moving so fast?

Yes, the development did seem swift at firs
Tracy Wainwright
Sep 24, 2015 Tracy Wainwright rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this story and the characters in this book. An excellent read.
Chloe
Aug 28, 2013 Chloe rated it liked it
Whilst I was never on the edge of my seat, biting my nails, wondering what twist will come next ... this book was interesting enough. Admittedly, not the page turner it claimed to be, but the story was original, (if a little unbelievable at times - but I'd be the first to admit this doesn't normally influence whether or not I "like" a book) and the characters were complex.

A little boy falls into a river. His mother is suffering from post natal depression. A stranger jumps in and saves the boy, a
Zeba Zaman
May 08, 2014 Zeba Zaman rated it really liked it
an unforgettable novel about life
Rose Jones
Jan 01, 2014 Rose Jones rated it it was ok
I found this book disappointing, it lacked the pace and substance I needed to fully enjoy it.
I liked the premises of the story but felt more could have been done to interest the reader, I found I didnt really care what happened to the characters as they lacked that emotional pull for me.
The book felt a little bit like watching a low budget soap.
I shall try another of the author's books at some point.
Alyssa
Jan 24, 2014 Alyssa rated it liked it
I liked the book, it was light-hearted if not far fetched in some places. I didn't really feel for Alexa saw it coming from a mile off. It was a bit predictable in terms of what was going to happen and the little shock twist towards the end wasnt that much of a surprise. Most characters likeable, Holly, Joanna and James, the main ones. The love development between James and Holly was a bit sickening and over the top. Overall, a good read.
Iain
Aug 16, 2013 Iain rated it it was ok
This promised to be a real page turner, and I was very optimistic. Oh dear, how disappointed was I? Just wasn't into it, but trudged on, with the promise of a twist. I unfortunately had guessed the twist early on. This is a book about affairs, and the relationships between mothers and daughters. Some of you may enjoy it. I felt, if you missed out most of the book, it would have made a really good short story.
Alissa Mccolm
Dec 27, 2014 Alissa Mccolm rated it liked it
It was a book that's well written, but very dragged out! The supposed twist at the end was a third of the way through, and it just prolonged the book when I was looking for the twist that was promised. Good book if you like stories that are dramatic at first, but the die down, and you are left with just the few people affected by the accident. If you like stories the keep you reading, this isn't the one!
Lisa
Feb 19, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing
really enjoyed this book
Sabīne
Mar 11, 2016 Sabīne rated it did not like it
Meh, meh, meh. Why I did this to myself?! Such a disappointment, even though the ending seemed okay, but not okay enough to give this book 2*.
I tried to like the book, thought maybe the ending will change my mind, but no ... Some many things seemed off.
I don't even want to spend time to review it.
Carole
Mar 01, 2016 Carole rated it it was amazing
A slow start and I almost gave up on it. So pleased I persevered! Original story and great characters. Follows the story of James, who jumps in the Seine to save Mikey, Holy s son. What follows is the unravelling of everyone s life and how this one event affects so many people. Great story
Constantina
I struggled to finish this book.
In my opinion it was generally boring,the author could tell the stories without so many detail.
The "twist" was nothing special,it wasn't used properly.
Joanna was the only interesting character in the story and she was the only reason that I got to the end.
Kim
Aug 20, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
I'm glad I perservered with this book- it dipped in the middle but by end I couldn't wait to see which way it would go. I couldn't make up my mind how I thought it would end- or how I'd like it to end and how much more the characters might have in store.
Sarah Elsley
Sep 30, 2013 Sarah Elsley rated it really liked it
Apart from the slightly annoying ending, I loved this book! The plot was well thought out, well structured and I enjoyed the twist near the end, turning a victim into somewhat of a victee before the roles were switched around again. Thoroughly enjoyed it!
Louise
Aug 30, 2012 Louise rated it it was ok
I found aspects of the book so unbelieveable as to undermine it's real credibility. It got better towards the end and the turn of events in the closing pages made me stick with it. Pleasant but not compelling
Suzanne
Dec 01, 2015 Suzanne rated it liked it
A good book but to me it was a bit drawn out and long winded skipping back and forth between generations. Post natal depression does not disappear within one day. That was a bit far fetched.
Elaine Browne

Long drawn out no twists at the end very predictable no character in particular stands out above the rest the hero is neither romantic or like able all characters are very one dimensional
Gill
Jul 21, 2013 Gill rated it really liked it
First book I have read by this author and I thought it was very good. I did get a bit bored in the middle but it picked up a bit further on and there was a good ending.
Lianne
Oct 22, 2012 Lianne rated it liked it
A bit "as if " but a reasonable read. I didn't much care for the story line, girl meets married man and they fall in love!
Alic
Feb 13, 2013 Alic rated it liked it
Listened to this in the car on cd. Easy read, entertaining, Good characters and wanted to know what happened to them.
  • Falling for You
  • Stranded
  • The Au Pair
  • What Will Survive
  • Outrageous Fortune
  • The Kinsella Sisters (Lissamore, #1)
  • Stop the Clock
  • A Sixpenny Christmas
  • Honeycote (Honeycote, #1)
  • The Stars in the Bright Sky
  • The Saturday Supper Club
  • When I Was Invisible
719155
'Brilliantly obsessive' Red magazine on THE SUDDEN DEPARTURE OF THE FRASERS

Louise Candlish studied English at University College London and worked as an editor and copywriter before writing fiction. She is the bestselling author of eleven novels, including THE SUDDEN DEPARTURE OF THE FRASERS (Penguin, 2015) and THE SWIMMING POOL (Penguin, May 2016).

The short story THE INTRUDER AT NUMBER 40 comes i
More about Louise Candlish...