Start by marking “Slither Slide, What's Outside?” as Want to Read:
Slither Slide, What's Outside?

Slither Slide, What's Outside?

3.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  34 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
"Slosh from the big one into the small. Whooshing and slooshing--your own waterfall."

When young children observe the natural world, what do they see? Very often, it's an inspiration for creative play. As in Nora Hilb's previous book, "Wiggle Giggle Tickle Train," 13 vibrant spreads show how children use the world around them to come up with ideas for play. Striking real-li
Published February 1st 2012 by Annick Press (first published January 19th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Slither Slide, What's Outside?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slither Slide, What's Outside?

Jen
Originally posted at http://www.perogiesandgyoza.com/2012/...

This book hits the preschooler's favourite subjectes seasons and a healthy dose of nature. Slither, Slide, What's Outside? also has adorable children. What sets it apart though is that each two-page spread has a photography of nature on the left side, and an illustration of an activity for that season with a corresponding verse on the right. From wriggling like a worm to leaping like a frog, there are plenty of indoor and outdoor activ
Andrea
May 13, 2012 Andrea rated it liked it
[This review is also published on Andi's Kids Books.]

Spring has finally spring, which makes it a great time to check out the new book Slither Slide, What's Outside by Nora Hilb & Simon and Sheryl Shapiro. This rhyming story encourages children to go outside and to interact with nature. They also have to use their imaginations to pretend to be like things in nature. In the story, kids plant a tree, wiggle like a worm, glow like stars, explore waterfalls and rainbows and so much more. The book
Sara Thompson
Apr 13, 2012 Sara Thompson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Just the other day a friend of mine said that according to an article she read publishers of children’s books are publishing less and less nature books because children are no longer connected to nature. It’s a sad thought. Enter Slither Slide, What’s Outside? and I find that perhaps that’s not true.
Slither Slide, What’s Outside? is a fun tale of nature that shares some of the things you might find throughout the year. The book is illustrated with beautiful photographs and fun pictures of childr
Lisa Mckay
Although the seasons change, there is always an opportunity to have an imagination. In springtime, it is necessary to imagine what a plant will look like after it grows. During the summer months, stars can look like fairies in the sky and splashing water can seem like a waterfall. Fall also offers its share of inspirational opportunities. While camping in the woods, imagination can be used to imitate a bear or a bird. Then finally when winter comes, snowmen can come alive too. Seasons are an imp ...more
Habrewer
Apr 13, 2012 Habrewer rated it really liked it
Shelves: lilly-read
Slither Slide, What’s Outside by Nora Hilb, Sheryl & Simon Shapiro
* I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

This book is entertaining for children and grownups alike. There are beautiful photographs that accompany colorful illustrations on every page. The rhythmic captions that go with the pictures flow easy and are fun for the children.

Lilly and I loved the pictures; they were amazing but fit right in with the illustrations. The stars and rainbow pages
Bethe
Mix of engaging illustrations of diverse groups of kids enjoying seasonal outdoor activities throughout the year and a related photo. Good for PK/K storytime on seasons.
Elisabeth
enjoyed the photography/ illustration combo. also the information was concise. great early intro to the natural world
Melissa
This is a great book for teaching seasons. The pictures are wonderful and it goes through the year.
Mlh346comcast.net
E SHAPIRO, S. Great book for teaching verbs and vocabulary.
Margaret Chind
Absolutely adorable illustrations! This book is great and perfect for us right now. With a combination of fun illustrations and real pictures bringing the learning to life and off the page. From worms to weather this is an educational one and I know that AppleBlossom would love it. That's it, on the wish list!

*Thanks to Annick Press for loaning an electronic copy through NetGalley for review.*

scheduled post: http://creativemadnessmama.com/blog/2...
Julie Barrett
Mar 01, 2012 Julie Barrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Slither Slide, What's Outside? Nora Hilb and Sheryl & Simon Shapiro
Nature scenes showing things outside that you can slither up or
can slide up.
Favorite scene is of the wind turbines all lined up on a snowy day
for miles on end.
Pictures of animals, nature scenes, plants and trees.
These pictures give the child a tool to use so they can imagine
things that go along with the picture.

Christine Turner
Subjects

Seasons -- Juvenile fiction

Play -- Juvenile fiction

What is interesting is that this book includes both photographs and illustrations. Montessori "teachers" would like this book because if the photographs. I am not found of it, but included it in my list because I may get a costumer who wants this type of format.
Alice
Jan 16, 2013 Alice rated it liked it
I liked that is book is drawings and real photography. I like the story and the rhymes. Unfortunately, our library received this book as a paperback and pictures books that are paper don't do well in our library.!
Lindsay
Dec 04, 2012 Lindsay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! My son enjoys dancing to the sweet and fun rhymes and the pictures are beautiful, both the "real" ones and the drawings. What a great way to expose children to natural scenes and concepts.
Samantha
May 22, 2012 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Real photos with rhythmic text and playful illustrations encourage little ones to explore the natural world. Great read aloud. Vivid photography. Must see!
poetic supermom
See my recommendation on Open Book Toronto: http://www.openbooktoronto.com/news/r...
Susan
Nice book about things you would see outside over the seasons. I like the mix of photographs and illustrations.
Melissa
Inventive mix of illustration and photography depicting nature & the round of seasons. Short couplets.
Sheila Grier
Oct 04, 2012 Sheila Grier rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture
great photos, along side illustrions. lots of rhyming
Sevf
Sevf added it
Feb 20, 2016
Violet B
Violet B rated it it was ok
Aug 06, 2015
Claire
Claire added it
Jan 17, 2015
Aaliyah
Aaliyah rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2014
Dana
Dana rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2014
Monica King
Monica King marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Deb Reddy
Deb Reddy rated it it was ok
Mar 19, 2014