Start by marking “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2)” as Want to Read:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2)

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter #2)

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  1,262,513 ratings  ·  18,046 reviews
When the Chamber of Secrets is opened again at the Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, second-year student Harry Potter finds himself in danger from a dark power that has once more been released on the school.
ebook, Nook, 231 pages
Published March 27th 2012 by Scholastic, Inc (first published July 2nd 1998)

Lora
Aug 13, 2011 Lora rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the first
Recommended to Lora by: my enjoyment of the first
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

Such a wise wizard.

You know how sometimes when you read the first in a series and it turns out so much better than you originally anticipated, it makes you a little apprehensive when starting the sequel? Well, I felt that way before starting this, but I can definitely say that Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is another fabulous installment in the rightfully beloved Harry Potter series!
Chris
Since pretty much everyone I know has read these books, I figure reviewing them is pretty pointless. But with the new book coming out in a couple of weeks, I have to go through them beginning to end. To make the reviews more entertaining, I will be doing them in a variety of unexpected formats. For this review, I will be writing as someone who's just getting into Freudian theory.

From the very beginning, the true nature of this story is quite obvious - The Chamber of Secrets. There is only one "c
Wil Wheaton
Overall, I loved this, and I can't wait to start Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban today.

Quick thoughts on the things that stood out to me:

Wow, the Dursleys were even more loathsome in this book than the first.
I love the Weasleys even more than I already did.
I am so glad my mother never sent me a Howler.
I thought Dobby was annoying in the movie (which I saw when it came out over a decade ago, not having read the book) but I thought he was awesome in the book. In fact, we rewatched the
Elisa
A lot of people cite this book as their least favorite in the Potter saga; many of my friends included. When I asked one of my friends why he felt it was the worst of the bunch, he gave me a very reasonable reply. He'd come in late on the Potter game, having only read them last year in fact, when a Professor of his was walking them through what it takes to be a good mystery-- using Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone as an example of a perfectly fashioned mystery.

Moving on to the second book,
Namratha
In a bid to revive the Harry Potter-related nostalgia, I am re-reading the series. This is my third trip into Potter’s world, so the cynicism hasn’t crept in yet.
I decided to start off with “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets”.

I always find that the second offering in a long-running series is always the most fulfilling. After the first, we have the character profiles down to a tee, we have decided on our favourites and our pet-peeves and we can easily summon up the landscapes and surroundi
9 3/4
Harry Potter changed my life. If I hadn’t read Harry Potter when I did I would not be the same person today. What I am today, in a part is due to Harry. I cannot really say enough to make you understand how much Harry Potter means to me.
Swaps55
While the story fits neatly together and again, her imagination is fantastic, the flat characters that play to extreme stereotypes take a lot of the enjoymeny out of this story.

There is no excuse for Gilderoy Lockhart. Granted, his fame obsession and ludicrous self-absorption make for some amusing Rowling-esque moments that make the series good (such as a dozen Lockharts running for cover in the photo frames with rollers in their hair), but at the expense of the reader's patience. This degree o
Rabindranauth
Rereading a book is always an interesting experience, isn't it? Especially if you're doing so with a group of friends. During this reread, I found out that this book seems to be widely considered as the worst in the series. Which is odd, for as it happens, if I have to pick my two favorites in the entire series this would easily be one of them.

It's Harry's second year at Hogwarts, and strange things are stirring. A mysterious message scrawled on a wall on Halloween signals the beginning of a rei
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
As Dumbledore once said, "it is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

My ability to write a proper review for this book does not exist, so I choose to leave it at five stars and two Dobby snaps in a circle ; )

Nina
This is not a review. (Sorry, Vivian!)
Allright, now that we've got this out of the way, I would like to point out three seemingly uninportant things that guaranteed this book five shining, sparkling stars, two of which (the things, not the stars) only appeared in the very last pages of the book.

1. page 352/366
For nearly a quarter of an hour [Harry] spoke into the rapt silence [...].

A quarter of an hour. Not hours, a seemingly endless amount of time, half a day, the whole night. A quarter of an
Navessa
THE MAGIC OF THE MASSIVE GROUP READ CONTINUES NOV 25 - DEC 2.

THE LIST:

43. Cindy
44. Amanda
45. Silver Thistle
Kassidy
Wow, this was so so good!!!

At first, I was a little iffy about it because the characters are so young. It took me a bit to get into, but once they arrived at Hogwarts, I loved it! I love how the writing really draws you in and gives such a beautiful atmosphere. I loved all of the descriptions of the school, it really engaged my imagination.
I was surprised by how many times this book.. well.. surprised me! I thought I would be able to figure everything out, but the plot is very intricate. The twi
Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*
There is just no way to do these books justice. I can't even try.

photo tumblr_mkjwxeau2l1rtmlvfo3_250_zps39b2f900.gif

"It's our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." Dumbledore

photo images1_zpsd23312b6.jpg

Thanks again to my friend Litchick for coming up with this most awesome group read!
Alexa
Five reasons why I don't like this book as much as the others.

1. Dobby.

2. Gilderoy Lockhart

3. Colin Creevey

4. Moaning Myrtle

Was this book a convention of annoying characters?

And last:

5. Not enough quidditch!

Still, there are things I liked in this book during the re-read. It's really nice to see Harry's reaction when he feels himself being ostracized by his classmates. It gives you an idea of his attitude in later books.

Also I was really impressed by how dark this book is!

Now to my fa
Brad
This really is the worst book of the Harry Potter bunch, and its lack of quality isn’t helped by its position in the series. For all its faults, Philosopher’s Stone is a strong first novel and does a great job of sucking its readers in -– even the grown up ones -– and Prisoner of Azkaban, for its balanced mix of suspense, character development, and the first real glimpse of the world beyond Hogwarts and Privet Dr., makes it, for me, the best of the entire series. So Chamber of Secret's number tw ...more
Carmen Maloy
Oct 22, 2007 Carmen Maloy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
What stands out in book 2:

* The de-gnoming of the Weasleys' garden. Harry discovers that even wizards have chores--gnomes must be grabbed (ignoring angry protests "Gerroff me! Gerroff me!"), swung about (to make them too dizzy to come back), and tossed out of the garden--this delightful scene highlights Rowling's clever and witty genius.
* Harry's first experience with a Howler, sent to Ron by his mother.
* The Dueling Club battle between Harry and Malfoy. Gilderoy Lockhart starts the Dueling Cl
Jason Koivu
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is the number two of the entire Potter series in more ways than one. It's the turd of the lot.

It's not terrible, but compared to the rest of the series Chamber has all the originality of a carbon copy of its predecessor, written to mirror and capitalize on the success of the first book.

Yes Harry and schoolmates have moved on to their second year and there are occurrences that will later come into play in the bigger picture of the story, but in hindsight t
Keely
In her second outing, Rowling builds up her confidence (and relationship with her publisher) enough to begin her signature page number crawl. Unfortunately, for this book, her chaotic plotting means that the further length just becomes more scattered moments.

Despite some interesting twists and concepts, this is the weakest entry in the series. It betrays a utilitarian sense of plot and worldbuilding, in that it expands the story little. Of course, Rowling never really gets the process of stream
Alex Ristea
I'll be honest. When I found out that we were going to be re-reading this series, most of me was excited. But there was quite a bit of apprehension as well.

Would I ruin the magic? Would I re-read these books with a much more critical eye and suddenly realize how poorly written they are? Does Harry Potter stand the test of time?

I'm glad to say that if anything—and to my surprise and delight—I enjoyed this book even more on a re-read. Picking it apart actually improves the book, as we marvel over
Thomas
I really, really like this series. I don't love it yet. But I'm on my way.

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. - Dumbledore, one of my favorite fictional mentors already.

Time for my second informal Harry Potter review. Rowling continues Harry's quest to become the best wizard he can be at Hogwarts alongside his two best friends, Ron and Hermione. Great (though not beautiful or superbly sophisticated) writing, smart development of characters, and a
Ariel
DEAR GOD THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL.
I give it 5 stars.. but as a Harry Potter novel.. a league of it's own.. I'd probably give it 4/5.
STILL THOUGH, AWESOME :)

I really want to start Prisoner of Azkaban but it's packed away somewhere :(
Inge
The Harry Potter series is like one giant puzzle, and during every book, tiny puzzle pieces start fitting together and forming a whole. There are hints everywhere about what's going to happen, sort of like inside jokes for people who've already read the books, but the mystery remains. J.K. Rowling keeps you guessing up until the final pages.

I love how every character brings something else to the table. Ron's dry comments, Fred and George's pranks, Hermione's cleverness, Dumbledore's charming str
Ann
I'm not sure what more I can say about Harry Potter. It's obvious to anyone who knows me how much I love these books, and for anyone who doesn't I'm not sure that I can add any more praise than these books have already received (and, rightfully so, in my opinion). The books are full of heart, wit, mystery and fantasy, humor and sadness, each page bringing more plot or more characterization, and often times both.
And the books are just as delightful upon the second read!

**SPOILERS BELOW**

DON'T RE
Jeffrey Michael
OK, so I suffer from prereadaphobia. That's the fear of reading a book before seeing the movie for fear that the movie won't measure up to the book. Well I LOVE the Harry Potter movies so I waited until after I had seen the last movie before starting on the first book. Well my fears weren't well founded in this case. I love the book as much as the movie. Well written and well paced, the movie accurately represented the novel which isn't all that common, take The Hunger Games for instance. I unde ...more
Kenny
I believe this was a better written book, than the first book. Despite a darker tone, where the good guys were losing and being defeated until the end, JK Rowling did a phenomenal job in setting up certain things that happened in this book, via logical progression. For example, Harry Potter's ability to speak the "snake language" in the early parts of the 1st book during his cousin's birthday party, explains the "voices" he seemed to hear in this book. Fantastic JK Rowling setup!

Believe it or no
sj
Originally posted here.

(lots of swearing ahead - I've also rated this edition lower than another because these are my feelings upon re-reading)

Dude. I know. My post about PS/SS was...shit, January third?...um, okay. So, my post about PS/SS was almost three months ago, and I feel like a total slacker. BUT, this IS Year of Reading Whatever the Fuck I Want, so if I want to wait THREE MONTHS between reading these books I damn well can.

I re-read Chamber of Secrets this week. And...I'm not gonna lie.
J.
Review also posted at My Bookshelf is Ready.

"So Tom Riddle is Voldemort and part of his soul is in his diary (what teenage girl doesn't identity with that, amirite?) - but you don't really conclusively know about that until book 7- anyway, so yeah there is this Chamber of Secrets (that no one else could find with magic for some reason) that houses a giant snake that somehow lived for over 50 years without really eating anything?? Anyway, Harry totally kills it with a Godric Gryffindor's sword be
Kathryn
Simply splendid on the second read, too. I first read this in December of 2002. Charming, funny, mysterious, thoughtful, sweet, frightening--and Professor Lockheart, the cherry on top! One of my favorite of the HP books, despite the fact I found a few places where I thought perhaps JK was stretching a little bit (very rare for me to find anything like that in the HP books). Still, five stars all round.

It wouldn't be summer for me without an HP book to read. This is (I think) the only one I haven
  • Curse of the Blue Tattoo: Being an Account of the Misadventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman and Fine Lady (Bloody Jack, #2)
  • The Oracle's Queen (The Tamír Triad, #3)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • The Two Princesses of Bamarre
  • Stop in the Name of Pants! (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #9)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • Rebel Angels (Gemma Doyle, #2)
  • The Woman Who Rides Like a Man (Song of the Lioness, #3)
  • Lirael (Abhorsen, #2)
  • The Eternity Code (Artemis Fowl, #3)
  • Mixed Magics: Four Tales of Chrestomanci
  • The Night is For Hunting (Tomorrow, #6)
  • Ronia, the Robber's Daughter
  • The Reality Bug (Pendragon, #4)
  • The Thief Lord
  • The BFG
  • Five Have a Wonderful Time (Famous Five, #11)
  • The Coven (Sweep, #2)