Start by marking “Beginnings: Prequel to The Guardians of Vesturon (The Guardians of Vesturon, #0.5)” as Want to Read:

Beginnings: Prequel to The Guardians of Vesturon (The Guardians of Vesturon 0.5)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  336 ratings  ·  41 reviews
You met the Guardians of Vesturon in Survival and Resurrection. Now read about how their parents, Rowan and Annalise met in Beginnings, the novella Prequel to The Guardians of Vesturon. Learn more about Rowan and how Annalise unwittingly captured his heart and how his chance meeting of her took him on a journey of forbidden love.
ebook, 1st, 52 pages
Published March 27th 2012 by Smashwords (first published March 26th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Beginnings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beginnings

Tana
Beginnings, Prequel to the Guardians of Vesturon by A.M. Hargrove

This is a fantastic prequel to the Guardians of Vesturon series. A.M Hargrove gives us a look into how Rayn Yarrister, the first-born son and Leader of The Guardians parents met and fell in love.

Rowan see's Annalise working in the cafeteria and notice how beautiful she is, Rowan couldn't stop thinking about Annalise and knows he has to have her.

Knowing that he is the first born and is to become the leader of Vesturon he would not
Midu Hadi
Jul 27, 2012 Midu Hadi rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: YA readers
Fiona (Titch) Hunt
WOW, no wonder it runs in the family with both First Borns lol. I am very happy that Rowan stood up for what he believed in as well as Rayn did against his father. The old saying "Like Father, Like Son" comes to mind when you read these 3 wonderful books of A.M. Hargroves. No one will be disappointed.
A.M. Hargrove
Mar 27, 2012 A.M. Hargrove rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
It was awesome :D LOL
Vicki
Beginnings is the prequel to The Guardians of Vesturon, which I have yet to read. I saw this and thought it would be good to read so I could decide if I want to read the book or not.

I had no idea what this book would be about, but as it turns out it's a sweet romance about two people who, according to society, do not belong together. Annalise is a kitchen maid and she works in a cafeteria. Rowam, however, is the son of the "Great Leader." As luck would have it, Rowan has his sights set on on Ann
Heather
This novella felt like a Saturday morning cartoon. Unrealistic, cliche, flat, and silly. I like the general idea of questioning authority and plowing through the blockades of social structure in pursuit of true love, but come on, this guy willingly throws his life away just to marry a girl he doesn't even know. Silly stuff. Two stars because the writer has promise as far as syntax, diction, and grammar go...
Mauna
It was good to read about Rowan and Annalise. Rowan sure took the bull by the horns and delt with things! I am ready for the third book.
Martha D
Title: Beginnings: Prequel to The Guardians of Vesturon
Author: A.M. Hargrove
Rating: 5/5

Summary: Annalise is a member of the working class. She works in the cafeteria. Rowan, soon to be leader of Vesturon sees her and falls in love with her. However, since she is beneath his station he is not permitted to marry her. This is a fantastic love story that tells the story of Rowan and Annalise parents to Rayn Yarrister.

Review: This is a heart-felt love story. Telling the story of how Rowan and Annali
(Source: Downloaded for free from Amazon.)
This is the story of Rowan and Annalise and how they met and became a couple. It is the prequel novella to the ‘Guardians of Vesturon’ series.

I’m sure A. M. Hargroves is a little confused as to why I even read this book, as she knows that Books 1 and 2 didn’t exactly float my boat. However, I wanted to see what this was like, primarily because it was the character of Maddie that drove me nuts in books 1 and 2, and as Maddie wasn’t in this one, I thought
Rachael Woohoo
3 - 3.5 Stars - Can't really decide D:

Seeing as how I read Books 1 & 2, and part of 3 before I read Beginnings, I suppose I had some a good amount of insight towards Rayn's parents' situations. However, I only knew of a basic level, so Beginnings provided me with more material to read and ponder upon...

Anyways, what I like best about this book is the fact that it made me sympathize more with the Rowan's situation. At a first look, Rowan's initial attitude towards Rayn was a bit cold and crue
Susan Ashcraft

(Alexyon Rayn Devvan)Rowan Yarrister IV is a tall handsome man with black hair and green eyes. He is the son of the Great Leader and certain things are expected of him. When he lays eyes on the beautiful blonde who is the kitchen maid, he reminds himself that she is not of his class and therefor not an appropriate mate for him. But she makes his heart sing and he wants her as his mate for life.

Annalise Drakkar is a gorgeous blonde haired, blue eyed woman who is of the serving class and is afraid
Jalyn
This is the prequel to Survival and though I didn’t like the first book (I gave it 1 star), I picked this one up because it fit into a reading challenge I’m doing. Unfortunately, I didn’t like this much better than the first one. I didn’t like that their really old fashioned way of speaking was mixed with more modern words. It was confusing. And why do these characters have to have so many names? Rowan is good. Five names plus a number is excessive. Their training was kind of rough. I did think ...more
Juls
Rowan what a man!!! He may have been higher up in the social latter but that didnt stop him from falling and eventually getting the woman, who happened to be way below his status, as his mate.
Rowan didnt even know Annalise but knew he had to have her. She became his everything, his reason to live and breathe.
Ms. Hargrove's did an amazing job describing Rowan's view of Annalise. I could really see her beauty as I read about her.

I really wish this had been longer but talking with the author reve
Sitt
This is a short YA paranormal romance story involving Rowan the next future leader of Vesturon and Annalise his mate and later wife. The sequels were out before this story, either one falls in love with the place and morals of Vesturon or not. I did, though-totally from the beginning. I don't want to think of my life for the last 6 months without these romantic stories, thanks to A. M. Hargrove for bringing back the feeling of butterflies in the time of war.
Nicole Angel
Very interesting and helps explain a lot about Rowan. Where are the rest of the books. I have read them all and want to rate them. Love the characters!! Great original story! The second book could use a re-editing. I am 15% through the third book. I was a bit upset with all the back story, however, I realize it was important. I just love Maddie and her Liege! :)
Jennifer (random jendsmit)
I liked this - I liked Rowan's conviction and his stick-to-it-ness... ok now I'm just making up words :)

Series review will be posted on www.passionatebookdivas.com :D I will post the link as soon as I have it all ready and posted!
Lisa
Love these books, read all three cant wait until the next one!!!
Laura Thomas
I was thrilled when the this book was released. I’ve read the entire Vesturon Series and this back story about Rowan and Annalise and how they met was like cheese cake with strawberries drizzled all over it. A sweet, tasty morsel to satisfy my craving for more.

When Rowan first lay eyes on Annalise, he was a goner. But when he approached her, she discouraged his advances.

First-Born and lower- born were not allowed to fraternize and Annalise could lose her job, or maybe worse if caught even speaki
Melissa
This is my first Guardian series book. As a prequel, I was expecting to be introduced to the characters and to the world of Vesturon. Instead, it was a very short summary of how Rowan met Annalise and their consequent unification after convincing the Elders of Vesturon to change the caste system.

So little was told to make me care for the main characters, thus I even care less about their romance. It feels like there are gaps in the story where I should've "seen" and been convinced of what's hap
Shelly Hammond
This is the first story that I have read from this author so I've not read any of the other books in this series. Since this is the prequel to the series, I figured it would be a good way to get a quick feel for the style of the author to see if I might be interested in trying a longer book. If this short story is any indication of how the longer books are written, then I am definitely going to have to give them a shot because this story was really very good.

This story was short and sweet. In a
Elisabeth Wheatley
After winning the rest of this series in a blog tour giveaway, I let them all sit on my Kindle app, alone and practically forgotten, for months. Then I finally went to pick this one up and oh, mama! I’m a disciple of this author! This is a novella, so there isn’t a whole lot I can say about it without being spoiler-ific, but don’t worry, I’ll still gush.

This is the story of Rowan and Annalise, the parents of the male love interests in The Guardians of Vesturon books. It starts out with young Row
Sherry Fundin
Beginnings will introduce you to the characters and customs of the Vesturons. Just because they are aliens, doesn't mean we can't relate to many of their ways.

I had already read Survival, Book I of the Guardians of Vesturon Serives, so I was familiar with the characters.

I found Beginnings captivating, because as a fan of A M Hargrove's and the Guardians of Vesturon Series, I truly wanted to know Rowan's story. I wanted to know why he was so hard on Rayn's choice of a commoner for a mate, when Ro
Disincentive/Feta

I think it's really hard for me to write this review when I haven't read any book in the series besides the prequel.
The idea was amazing. I'm usually not interested in books about aliens, but this one somehow kept me really interested. It was really short, so it's hard to say anything about story. It focuses on love story, but there is some politics in the background - I wish it would be a bigger topic because relationship in Beginnings was simply boring
Intrigued by Romance
I must say that I enjoyed reading this book. I liked all the characters, and the story was a bit like Twilight (which I love)! I will definately be buying the next book. What a cliff hanger!
Bev Walkling
This book was ok for me. I hadn't read any others in the series so I didn't have any set expectations going into it. It is classed as a young adult book and I would say based on the language and dialogue that it is probably best suited for someone in their early teens.I have the next book, but I am not rushing to read it. Perhaps this is because I am not a young teen.
Maghon Thomas
I know that this is a short story prequel, but it was actually written after the first two books were published. However, I cannot say much about this because I really don't wanna give away all the goodies, but I will say it gives a major sense of character insight, and it's so well written-like I expected anything else! I loved seeing this side, as it's how it all started! To fall in love, and stand up for what you believe in, even if it's against society's norms! It just makes me all happy and ...more
Jenn ~ Nemirdis
This prequel to the Guardian's of Vesturon tells the story of how Rowan and Anelise met and the struggles that they faced in uniting. Their situation is alluded to in the other books. It was interesting to learn that Rowan was responsible for removing a caste system on Vesturon. We also got a little bit of insight into Voldruk. I didn't really care for his character in this book, but that is most likely because of how he acts in further books.
Cheryl M-M
An add on to the Vesturon series, which takes a closer look at Rowan and how he meets his mate.
I wasn't overwhelmed by it, indeed I thought it was the usual man meets superbly beautiful female and wants her..now. Some of the dialogue was a little B movie over the top dramatic and Rowan seemed a tad hyper hysterical.
It was pleasant enough, but lacked any real drive or extra nuance to drag me in.
-RadioActiveBookWorm-
I don't care if this book was trying to make me like Rowan, because I don't think I ever will. he's a Dick. and this book proved to me atleast, that even though he has his sweet moments, he always has been and always will be a Dick. I also wish that we could have gotten to know Rayn's mom a little better. I feel like she was more of a background character than anything else..
Sara
Nov 06, 2012 Sara rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
I think this was a cute love story, even though the instant love didn't really impress me. I liked how protective Rowan was of Annalise. It will be interesting to see what happens in book 1, since this was just a setup for it. This story is about an alien planet, which isn't my favorite topic, but it was still cute.
  • Enchanted Castle - A Novelette
  • The Light Keepers (ShadowLight Saga, #0.5)
  • The Emerald City (Osland Trilogy, #1)
  • Behind the Mirror (Return of the Ancients, #0.5)
  • The Faerie Guardian, Part I
  • Alight: The Peril (Pyxis, #2)
  • Intuition (Intangible, #0.5)
  • Thoughtless (Thoughtless, #1)
  • Cornerstone (Souls of the Stones, #1)
  • Dark Promise (Between Worlds, #1)
  • Born of Fire (Channeler, #0.5)
  • Pure Blood (Time Spirit Trilogy, #3)
  • Evangeline (A Dark Faerie Tale, #0.5)
  • Haunted Moon (Moon Coven, #0.5)
  • The Eslites (The Eslite Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Slack Tide
  • The Prophecy (Daughters Of Saraqael, #0.5)
  • Broken
One day, on her way home from work as a sales manager, A. M. Hargrove, realized her life was on fast forward and if she didn't do something soon, it would quickly be too late to write that work of fiction she had been dreaming of her whole life. So, she rolled down the passenger window of her fabulous (not) company car and tossed out her leather briefcase. Luckily, the pedestrian in the direct lin ...more
More about A.M. Hargrove...
Edge of Disaster (Edge, #1) Survival (The Guardians of Vesturon, #1) Tragically Flawed (Tragic, #1) Kissing Fire (Edge, #3) Shattered Edge (Edge, #2)