Start by marking “The Tinsmith” as Want to Read:
The Tinsmith

The Tinsmith

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  15 reviews
During the bloodiest single-day battle in American history, Anson Baird, a surgeon for the Union Army, is on the front line tending to the wounded. As the number of casualties rises, a mysterious soldier named John comes to Anson's aid. Deeply affected by the man's selfless actions, Anson soon realizes that John is no ordinary soldier, and that he harbours a dangerous secr ...more
Published March 6th 2012 by Brindle and Glass Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Tinsmith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tinsmith

The Color Purple by Alice WalkerI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya AngelouBeloved by Toni MorrisonInvisible Man by Ralph EllisonThe Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X
Black History Month
93rd out of 371 books — 353 voters
Rosina, the Midwife by Jessica KlutheThe Puzzle Box by Eileen BellAmericas by Jason Lee NormanThe Dilettantes by Michael  HingstonDivinity and The Python by Bonnie  Randall
Books by Edmonton, AB Authors
72nd out of 129 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

De
Al recommended this so far shockingly good book. Gripping start of the story with crashing metaphors like: Several soldiers couldn't keep their jaws from opening and closing in rapid succession: they resembled baby robins waiting to be fed.
This book that mixes themes of racism, slavery, exploitation of humans and nature alike, war, politics, the founding of nations, the slaughter of men and salmon for the sake of money and money alone and the struggle to keep dignified and human just is one cru
Janna Zuroski
I want all my friends to read this book. The author is a poet so he chooses words carefully. Consequently, you can easily visualize every scene he describes. You feel like you were there--which isn't always a good thing since one section is about a surgeon at the battle of Antietem and another describes house slaves being sold down the river by a cruel slave master. But the ultimate theme is the overarching battle between good and evil.

This is the best book I have read in a while.
Georgina
Garth Mailman
Tim Bowling is a favourite Canadian author whose father was a Frazer River salmon fisherman in Ladner, BC. Lacking an aptitude for his father’s dying profession he moved to Edmonton, Alberta a province without a coastline. Naturally he writes often about fishing but this time round he has chosen the Battle of Antietam during the American Civil War as the setting for his novel about an army surgeon.

Equally at home in poetry or prose I have yet to read a book of his I didn’t like. Although the su
Veronica
This novel could have used a great deal of editing as there are pages and pages of tedious information and description hiding a good plot with interesting protagonists.
Pamela
Excellent Canadian writing. Movie!
Joyce
Very descriptive, you could almost smell and feel the battlefield.
Very good read. Interesting story.
Plamen Miltenoff
reads a bit difficult
too verbose, but really arresting
nice mixture of the pace and brings forward ideas well
Kate
Poetic, fascinating historical fiction, and really, really wordy. Generally I enjoy descriptive and poetic writing but this was almost too much for me. I'm tempted to do a word count on how many times "bloody" and "greasy" are used as adjectives. Curiosity about how the story would end kept me going ... but in spite of my faintly negative review, I do think this is a good book and would recommend it IF you like verbose writing.
Carla
From the civil war to the salmon fishing on the British Columbia coast, this book brings some mystery and suspense. I'm always in search of great Canadian authors and Tim Bowling didn't disappoint. The only critique I would have is that the book seemed to be a laborious work of reading! Sometimes I felt there was too many words...rather verbose, but this wasn't all the time, just sometimes. Overall a great read!
Marta
An amazing read. I usually don't like too much detail but I did not find it overdone in this book. All added to the overall feel and it haunted me days after finishing it. New Westminster is very familiar to me so I found it fascinating to imagine it as it was in the 1880's.
Dorothy B
Tim Bowling has such a solid grasp of his prose that despite some excesses in describing the grittiness of the bloody surgical tent, the piling up of limbs, I couldn't close the book as this complex story unfolded. High recommendations.
Donna
Very well written ... Plot can get a bit confusing ( I read this book over a lengthy period of time which could explain my disconnect from the storyline) but does come together in the end.
Tina
Sep 18, 2012 Tina marked it as to-read
This book sounds so interesting!!!!!!!
Linda
- great book. Would recommend it
Bernadette
Bernadette marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Rakesh Muthyala
Rakesh Muthyala marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Pat
Pat added it
Mar 30, 2015
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Wayne
Wayne marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Carol
Carol added it
Feb 14, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Stormnangel
Stormnangel marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
In the Suicide's Library: A Book Lover's Journey The Paperboy's Winter Tenderman Where the Words Come from: Canadian Poets in Conversation The Bone Sharps