Start by marking “The House on the Cliff” as Want to Read:
The House on the Cliff

The House on the Cliff

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A delightful potpourri of laughter, love, intrigue, and suspense, The House on the Cliff introduces an entirely new set of characters to D.E. Stevenson readers.

Miss Stevenson departs from her usual settings in London and Scotland to place this story in Devonshire, in the southwestern part of England. Here, overlooking the English Channel, is the House on the Cliff. For yea
Hardcover, First edition, 282 pages
Published 1966 by Holt, Rinehart and Winston

To ask other readers questions about The House on the Cliff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House on the Cliff

Rebecca by Daphne du MaurierMariana by Susanna KearsleyThe Forgotten Garden by Kate MortonThornyhold by Mary StewartJane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
So You're a Homeowner...
37th out of 91 books — 52 voters
Little Women by Louisa May AlcottAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryThe Help by Kathryn StockettLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderSense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
Domestic novels
35th out of 37 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Dorcas
This is a clean, sweet read and I enjoyed it very much. If you're ever looking for a feel good "palate cleanser " between books, D E Stevenson seems a good choice.

There's really not a complicated plot or even much in the way of twists and turns. I found it fairly predictable but I still enjoyed it. I was debating what to rate it...
Because of its simplicity I thought a solid 3. But you really can't compare apples to peaches. 'The House On the Cliff ' isn't trying to be 'War and Peace ' so you ca
Hana
Recommended by Bree, Dorcas and Hannah--Thank you all!

The House on the Cliff is the sort of charming, easy read that's a perfect refresher in between big, serious classics or non-fiction books. It is a lovely story, gently told.

When we first meet Elfrida Ware she is standing outside a lawyers office, debating whether to go in. Elfrida is twenty, but thin, worn and tired. She has come through a terribly difficult time, having just lost her beloved mother. Her stage career is going nowhere. Her re
Bree (AnotherLookBook)
Mar 20, 2014 Bree (AnotherLookBook) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who dream of inheriting a house
A novel about an orphaned actress who inherits a house in Devonshire and instead of selling it makes the less practical decision to move in. 1966.

Full review (and hand-picked reading recommendations!) at Another look book

Golly, did I forget to review this one! It's particularly painful to admit because it's a wonderful book. One of my favorite DES reads so far. Lovely, true-to-life types of characters and some small but profound messages you wouldn't expect from this genre of book. Also, unlike,
Hannah
Completely charming, cozy and vintage.

Who wouldn't want to inherit a centuries-old house on the cliff?
:D
Alisha
Very enjoyable story about a girl named Elfrida Jane, an actress of mediocre talent who finds herself alone in the world after the death of her mother. A friend sees an advertisement in the newspaper from someone who is looking for Elfrida or her mother. When Elfrida answers the ad, she finds that a lawyer stands ready to help her claim her inheritance-- her mother's family's ancestral home, an estate called Mountain Cross. Because of a family disagreement, Elfrida never met her grandparents and ...more
Amy
Elfrida is an actress in London and she is really sad because 1) her mother/best friend died and now she is alone in the world, and 2) she is madly in love with the charismatic lead actor and it's depressingly one-sided. Elfrida's terrible life changes when she inherits the majestic Mountain Cross in Devonshire from her estranged grandmother. Despite objections, Elfrida moves into Mountain Cross because her mother loved it so much. She is still poor because her grandfather was bad at Business (o ...more
Joyce Alice
I have read almost all of D.E. Stevenson's books. She was related to Robert Louis Stevenson and is a very good writer. Her books are set in the 30s, 40s, and 50s and have really good characterization. I wish I could find other books with the same flavor. Pure romance, no bad language, explicit sex, etc.
Megan
Really enjoyed this book. It was quite charming. The characters were great, it was clean, and I'd probably read it again. This is the third book I've read by DE Stevenson and I look forward to reading more.
Carolyn
A young orphaned girl answers a newspaper ad to discover that her little-known family had left her a house on a cliff. She leaves a poor, dismal acting career to return to her mother's home. She learns about herself when she takes over the responsibility of caring for her mother's loved home. She finds she can be a strong person in her own right, when a Canadian cousin comes to try and take the home away from her.

connections: The Blue Sapphire (the landlady)
Julie
This was a read-aloud reread with my daughter. I have lost track of how many times i have read it. I probably reread it once every two years or so. A young girl, alone in london, who takes bit parts on stage, finds that she has inherited her mother's family home - a large stone house on a cliff by the sea. Reading the book is like going on vacation to a house by the sea, and i like to visit often.
Regan
Totally awesome book. It's set in the modern day but Stevenson tells it in that wonderful dark Gothic fashion. You can feel the chill of the fog and the aura of danger. House on the Cliff is billed as a mystery but there is also a great suspense element to it.
Anna
I really enjoyed this; light hearted but moving. Well written, sweet love story. For anyone who has gone through a very bad patch and would love a chance at a fresh start.
Deb
Elfrida Jane Ware is an unsuccessful actress living on air, who inherits a house on a cliff in Devon. This book uses characters from the Bel Lamington/Fletchers End duo.
Psirene
simplistic and charming, just what i needed after a very long week
Jill Newport-Coats
Jill Newport-Coats marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Daniela
Daniela marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Sukhi
Sukhi marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Amy C.C. Hsiao
Amy C.C. Hsiao marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Laurie Michael
Laurie Michael marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Cynthia Smith
Cynthia Smith marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Mermarie
Mermarie marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Gayle Witt
Gayle Witt marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Jenni Gile
Jenni Gile marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
  • The Headmistress
  • The Christmas Mouse (Fairacre, #10)
  • Tryst
  • The Heart of the Family (Eliots of Damerosehay, #3)
  • A Late Phoenix (Inspector Sloan #4)
  • His Spanish Bride (Charles & Mélanie Fraser #5.5)
  • The Third Sister: A Continuation of Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility
  • Except for Me and Thee
  • The Dolls' Christmas (Tasha Tudor Collection)
  • The Summer of the Barshinskeys
Full name: Dorothy Emily Stevenson.
Cousin of Robert Louis Stevenson

D.E. Stevenson had an enormously successful writing career: between 1923 and 1970, four million copies of her books were sold in Britain and three million in the States. Like E.F. Benson, Ann Bridge, O. Douglas or Dorothy L. Sayers (to name but a few) her books are funny, intensely readable, engaging and dependable.
More about D.E. Stevenson...
Miss Buncle's Book (Miss Buncle, #1) Miss Buncle Married Mrs. Tim Christie The Two Mrs. Abbotts The Young Clementina