Start by marking “Goodnight Dear: The Unsentimental Diary Of A Bereaved Husband” as Want to Read:
Goodnight Dear: The Unsentimental Diary Of A Bereaved Husband

Goodnight Dear: The Unsentimental Diary Of A Bereaved Husband

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Maïté Humphries-Farge died on January 14th 2011, quite suddenly and without warning.

She was not targeted by a serial killer or the victim of some vampire boyfriend's nemesis because this was not fiction. This was merely the kind of day-to-day family tragedy that barely makes the local news.

Published March 26th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Goodnight Dear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goodnight Dear

Kath Middleton
How can you do anything as trivial as award stars to the true story of a family's loss of a young, talented wife and mother? This is, as the title states, an unsentimental, very factual account of a sudden death and the way it devastated the lives of author Darren Humphries and his two young children. Ambulance and Police log details are interspersed with accounts of how thoughtful friends brought milk and teabags, the details of putting up relatives from far away, the potential over-running of ...more
Elle
Apr 10, 2012 Elle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I wish I didn't have to write this review, in fact I wish this book didn't exist. The idea that something so terrible could happen to someone so obviously loved broke my heart but then we can't turn back time and this book is a perfect example of how life certainly does go on after a tragedy.

Darren Humphries is a very brave man and from reading this book, obviously an amazing husband and father. I have no doubt that they will need more than a one man tent for his wake as he is have more love tha
H.O. Charles
I do not tend to write reviews of books, but this one made me do it.

The humour and sarcasm used by the author is pitched right at my level. It’s wonderful to read and beautifully appropriate. I really felt as if I clicked with this man; I got him. That is an incredible feat for any author to achieve with their reader. In one line I would be sniffling, and on the next I’d be laughing aloud. I don’t know if other nationalities would find this to be a very typically ‘British’ approach, but I felt r
Lorraine Versini
It is certainly difficult to put in words what the reader feels when reading this book.
I hear very often that tastes are so different from person to person that it's hard to find a book that everyone would agree upon as a "memorable book". I don't mean everyone will love this book, but I am sure that everyone will be affected by the diary. We all have or will lose someone we love.
Maite was very much a rare and precious flower that faded too suddenly. The diary may be unsentimental, but this stil
Joo
Darren's usual genre is surreal sci-fi parallel universe type of thing, full of humour and madness. I have read 2 of his books and they make me smile and giggle. This one made my sob my eyes out.

The simple summary for this book is that it's his diary of his life after his wife died suddenly and unexpectedly at a heartbreakingly early 39 years old, leaving him with his two children, an 8 year old boy and 16 month old girl.

This is no heartstrings pulled sentimental tale. It's just life as Darren c
Karen (Kew)
I've just finished reading this, it didn't actually make me cry, as it has some, but it's left me sombre and thoughtful. It's given me a real admiration for Darren and how he has been there for his kids. It was brave of him to publish such a personal account. It is good to read this - it makes you ask yourself questions. I would recommend this to everyone as it is insightful and encouraging. It helps us to understand people who are bereaved and how we can help. This is well-written and with hone ...more
Susie Kelly
I found this a very interesting read, written by a man whose wife dies unexpectedly at a very young age, leaving him with an 8-year-old boy and 16-month-old daughter. As the title suggests, it is unsentimental, even at times quite funny in a rather dark way. There is nothing maudlin about this book, despite its tragic subject, nor any trace of self-pity from the author. He charts the year following his wife’s death, the mountains of paperwork he faces with insurance company, bank, building socie ...more
Jud (Disney Diva)
A beautifully written story about a most horrible event. It is such a shame that anyone has to go through an ordeal such as losing a partner or a parent especially while still so young. Darren, you have done a wonderful job with this story, your love for Maite and your children and her love for life and everyone in it are so plain to read. It was just beautiful and brought many tears to my eyes (and indeed coursing down my cheeks).

You hope to raise awareness of the practical side of losing a lo
Maureen (Mews)
I've been struggling over reviewing this book for days. Simply because I don't think I have the words to do it the justice it deserves.

This is exactly the kind of book I would normally avoid reading. I am one of these types that likes to try to pretend to herself that by avoiding reading about issues like these means that I will never have to deal with it. Rediculous of course.

A few years ago my mother tried to sit me down and tell me in a practical way where I could find everything (insurance
Emma (Em or Emz)
I have read this book in a time of bereavement for my family (not anything like Darrens situation, but one of loss all the same) and I have found it probably one of the most uplifting and thought provoking books I have ever read. Yes, it is heart wrenching in places, requiring lots of tissues and the occasional break from reading. But it is so much more than a story of grief and tragedy. It is an inspiring story of love and about how to move on should the unthinkable happen.

Darren is an inspirat
Kate (sleepy kitten)
How do you rate a book that is based upon the death of a loved one? I've given it 5* because the strength and courage to write about such a personal tradgedy, and to do it so well, is very much deserving of it. This book made me cry, it made me smile, it made me wish I had the kind of relationship Darren and his wife Maite had. A well recommended read.
Patti (baconater)
Darren Humphries' recounting of the events following his beloved wife's early and unexpected death is deeply moving. Darren's bravery in sharing his experiences is monumental but if it helps even one person to cope with the unthinkable it will be worth his efforts.
You are an amazing guy, Darren.
Lynne - The Book Squirrel
A heart warming diary of the first year after the sudden death of a beloved wife and mother. The trials of dealing with banks, government officials, and grieving relatives and all while looking after an 8 year old and a toddler, as well as working and finding childcare.

Lory
I don't know that I have EVER read a more mean-spirited, malicious account of a "beloved wife's" death than as written by this unappreciative, inconsiderate, arrogant and downright narcissistic man. His poor wife, may she rest in peace and never know the selfish, self-serving, jackass the world has come to know through this "Diary".
He brings up her flaws and the things that made it "hard to be with her." He criticizes her shopping, her housekeeping, her maddening habit of "taking too many photog
DianaAitch

This is the story of the first year after Maïté's death, as told in diary entries made by her husband, recounted in the hope that anyone involved in a committed relationship who reads it might think to find ou
Lynda Kelly
This is subtitled The Unsentimental Diary of a Bereaved Husband and it is that. It made me laugh AND made me cry. Darren kept this diary for the first year since his wife died very suddenly and unexpectedly and described how he found her to the inquest, the redtape involved when someone dies relatively young and no will has been made, how he copes (or doesn't at times) with being a single parent and how those around him help (or don't).
Interspersed between days in the diary are sentiments left b
Nina
It took me a while to read this as I had to take breaks between reads because I felt pretty choked up reading this funny, sad and loving diary of a bereaved husband and father of two. I finished reading it in a little park in London before I came to work (one of those tiny patches of green they dot around the city so we don't go insane through being surrounded by so much concrete and dirt).

I think the author's honesty and humour are probably how he has survived and they draw the reader in. I di
Virginia Welch
Picked up this book free on a Kindle daily deal. I suppose it seems odd to choose a book that deals with the death of a stranger. Why should I care? What's more, why should I needlessly depress myself with a stranger's suffering? But I have found that a first-person account, treated by a thoughtful writer, can be very absorbing, and so it was with Mr. Humphries' story in which he records his experiences, good and bad, during the first year after the sudden death of his 39-year-old wife. The book ...more
Jenny Karraker
I enjoyed this book, journal entries describing what life was like for the author, who lost his wife quite suddenly and unexpected at 39. With caring for an 8 year old boy and 1 1/2 year old daughter, he discovers a new respect for single parents. The author also discovers the value of his friendships, as his wife's friends, parents, and child-minder across the street often came to the rescue when life gets too complicated. Living in the United States, it was interesting to read about the detail ...more
Cheryl M-M
Very emotional and frank
Like others before me I find it hard to put a price/rating on a book which is in fact a piece of this authors life and heart. It seems so trivial to rate it in comparison to the events I have just read about.
It must have been incredibly cathartic (I can only presume) and difficult to write about the death of his wife. At first I wondered at the seemingly detached way he handled and wrote about it and then had to remind myself that I have no idea what I would do in that si
Anita
This is a no-frills, tell-it-as-it-is account of a surviving spouse. It is not so much "unsentimental" as it is a sterile (as much as grief can be so), compartmentalized approach to dealing with loss, with picking up the pieces and moving on -- in other words, coping. The world over: someone loses a spouse, becomes a single parent, has to deal with lots of loose ends and uncertainty, etc. -- it's the same for everyone who's been through it. Reading this made me commiserate with the author, becau ...more
Andrew
I'm not one for reviews normally, I rate the books I read and occasionally leave a brief comment. This book was different, not only is it one of the few books I've rated five starts, but I felt that I had to post a review to truly do it justice.

I smiled at parts and choked up on more than a few occasions, the kind words interspersed throughout were very moving.

I came across this because I'm an avid reader of Science Fiction and had read most of Darren's books, it is not the kind of book I normal
Nicola Palmer
Although stars seem trivial for the subject, I feel justified in awarding them for the number of emotions experienced while reading this book; numbness, frustration, grief, even a touch of humour. But most of all, I feel that sharing such a difficult experience with sheer honesty and openness deserves recognition. For me, it is strength of character rather than unsentimentality that shines through. A tribute to Maite which I'm sure will bring comfort to some - not as a guide, but as reassurance ...more
Aunty Janet
This book is the very moving (but not sentimental... as in the title) story of Darren's sudden and unexpected loss of his dear wife. The diary charts his shock and the often frustrating practicalities following her death. Darren has two small (one of them very small) children, his love and devotion to them shines through this memoir, as does his wonderful sense of humour. Diary entries are interspersed with messages from friends and family. These, along with Darren's diary provide a wonderful tr ...more
Tiffany
Very insightful
Emma
Jul 05, 2012 Emma rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
This really is an unsentimental diary, but I did find myself choked up in places...I liked the interspersing of personal notes of condolence between entries.. one saw best through them how much of a hole this ady's passing left in the world.

I always admire diarists and this was accessible and a really involving read without making you feel like a voyeur into this family's grief.
Ruth
Do you ever wonder about what you would do if your spouse died? I have thought about it so many times and reading this book was like living it through someone elses eyes. This man was so honest and I really related to him. It was so non-schmaltzy...thats why I like it. He is a realist (not sure if he knows this) but very practical and pragmatic (like me.)
Tammy
So, so sad. Darren Humphries managed to describe his wife's death and the months after without displaying much emotion, but making me cry like a baby. I felt so badly for their two children, one of which will have to grow up without truly knowing her mother. It's definitely a good read for anyone looking for something quick and heartfelt.
Angie
Not an easy book to reveiw and at times not an easy book to read . Mr. Humphries' writing can make you laugh and then again it will make you cry . Such a sad story ....yet there is something to be said about the stories that write themselves. I wish Mr. Humphries and his children all the best and pray he keeps his chin up ;-)
Given the subject of this book I was not expecting to laugh out loud as I read it but I did... and cried and experienced just about every emotion in between. A very honest and engaging book and a tribute both to his wife and to the author himself. I wish him and his children the very best for the future.
  • Mark of the Dragon Queen
  • Infinitely More
  • The Third Floor
  • Seesaw
  • Growing Up Country: Memories of an Iowa Farm Girl
  • That Bear Ate My Pants!
  • The Road Through Wonderland: Surviving John Holmes
  • Replica
  • A Long Time Dead
  • Tollesbury Time Forever
  • Rebooting My Brain: How a Freak Aneurysm Reframed My Life
I am English and in my forties and have been writing stories since school when I won a parker pen for being shortlisted in a national schools writing competition.

My particular genre of choice wanders around all over the place, but has mainly settled into humorous fantasy and science fiction (or at least I think they're humorous and some people who have kindly left reviews seem to agree).

During any
More about Darren Humphries...
The Man From U.N.D.E.A.D. - The Curious Case Of The Kidnapped Chemist The Man From U.N.D.E.A.D. - Zombie Apocalypse Now (The Man From U.N.D.E.A.D. #2) The Man From U.N.D.E.A.D. - Do Dragons Dream Of Burning Sheep? (Man From U.N.D.E.A.D., #3) One Small Step For The Man From U.N.D.E.A.D. (Man From U.N.D.E.A.D. #4) The Man From U.N.D.E.A.D.'s Christmas Carol (an Agent Ward Short Story)