Start by marking “Arc 1.1: The Future Always Wins” as Want to Read:
Arc 1.1: The Future Always Wins

Arc 1.1: The Future Always Wins

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Arc, a new publication from the makers of New Scientist, explores the future through cutting-edge science fiction and forward-looking essays by some of the world’s most celebrated authors, alongside columns by thinkers and practitioners from the worlds of books, design, gaming, film and more.

Arc 1.1: The Future Always Wins includes new fiction from Margaret Atwood, Stephen
Published February 15th 2012 by Reed Business Information Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Arc 1.1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arc 1.1

M.G. Mason
I must say that it is a slick and professional production that you would expect to see from New Scientist.

It opens with a brief introduction to each of the contributors with summaries of their most memorable works and poses the question “what next?” to settle us in and give a hint of what to expect from their relevant pieces. Some are humorous, the responses are a mix of optimism, pessimism and humour that sets the tone for their individual work.

The first piece after the forward by Bruce Sterlin
Jamie Gaughran-Perez
About half the pieces were great, the rest were eh. But that's a high enough average for me to give the next issue a go.

The fiction was much better than the non-fiction. The former tended to be crisp and mature, the latter tended to feel like underfunded feature pieces or chapters that were edited out of a larger work.
Jeff
Really cool publication, I'm definitely buying the rest. The non-fiction, such as China's teutheriffic tour of a squid lab, generally outshines the fiction, but you can tell from the contributors' names it's all top-flight material.
Andy Tischaefer
Collection, and I think the 3 stars pretty much cover most of the stuff in it. More comments some other time.
Tac Anderson
I love this quarterly. It is by far my favorite publication out there.
Chas
Apr 17, 2013 Chas rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
Very hard going.
Joel
Joel marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Keary Birch
Keary Birch marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Voight Kampff
Voight Kampff marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Bojan Stevanović
Bojan Stevanović marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Jennifer Gergen
Jennifer Gergen is currently reading it
Jun 24, 2014
S. Naomi Scott
S. Naomi Scott marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Ian
Ian marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Matteo Carpentieri
Matteo Carpentieri marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Arc 1.2: Post human conditions Arc 1.4: Forever Alone Drone Arc 1.3: Afterparty Overdrive New Scientist magazine Arc 1.x: The first year of the future