Start by marking “Mensajero de la muerte (Ciclo Drenai, #5)” as Want to Read:
Mensajero de la muerte (Ciclo Drenai, #5)

Mensajero de la muerte (The Drenai Saga #7)

4.27  ·  Rating Details ·  6,047 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
Una nueva novela de Druss el Hachero
La leyenda del Mensajero de la Muerte...
en territorio nadir.
Durante siglos, las tribus de los nadir, débiles y enfrentadas entre sí, han sufrido el yugo de los gothir, pero en torno a sus hogueras pervive la promesa de que llegará un guerrero que las unirá bajo su mando. Ahora, tres hombres y una mujer se adentran en el dominio de los na
Published 2006 by Gigamesh (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Mensajero de la muerte, please sign up.

Madcarlotta No, you don't *have* to. While the books do mention events and people from the other books, each one stands alone, although I imagine it might be a…moreNo, you don't *have* to. While the books do mention events and people from the other books, each one stands alone, although I imagine it might be a bit confusing if you don't know the timeline jumps around. I am currently reading the series in chronological order (based on the timeline in the Drenai world) because I am new to the books, but the books were not originally written in this order. Legend was the first one Gemmell wrote, but it is the 7th chronologically.

If you intend to read the entire series, my recommendation would be to read them in Drenai-calendar chronological order though - starting with Waylander. You can find the order here (goodreads numbers them in the order they were written):

(less)

Joe
May 27, 2013 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the last book in the Drenai Saga that I hadn’t read, so reading it was a very bittersweet experience. On the one hand, this one is just as good as all the other books in the series, and made me want to revisit Legend and some of the others. On the other hand, I knew that once I’d finished it, there wouldn’t be any more Drenai books left. So I took it slow for the first half, but naturally I finished it at a breathless late-night sprint a day or two later.

I’ve been thinking a lot lately
Octavi
Aug 25, 2016 Octavi rated it it was amazing
Gemmell sabe manejar a la perfección el género. Sabe mezclar con las dosis suficientes tanto realismo y crudeza como magia y fantasía. Un genio que daría paso al futuro Grimdark.
Graham
Jan 05, 2014 Graham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A typically excellent fantasy novel by David Gemmell, something of a prequel of sorts to his first book, LEGEND. In fact, it has a couple of book-end chapters that directly link it to the events of that story, but the majority of the tale is set years previously.

This is one of the best Drenai novels. The plot is familiar, taking on yet another siege scenario, but the characters are among the most interesting yet and Gemmell makes full use of the opportunity to explore the various characters caug
Filipa
Aug 03, 2012 Filipa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do have a passion of David Gemmell books. He is simple in writing, concise in his battles, a great story teller and most of all , very human when creating his characters.

The Legend of Deathwalker brings us the story of Druss and the reason why he had the name of Deathwalker between the Nadir. It also brings the Nadir rising into the powerful army we have seen in the "Legend".

With a incredible simplicity, David Gemmell places Druss as a story teller to a young warrior about times long passed, w
Angel 一匹狼
Mar 17, 2015 Angel 一匹狼 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Gemmell could have written about Druss (and Sieben) doing groceries and baking cakes and I would have enjoyed it. David Gemmell's style is one that I can't get tired of, even though I have always believed that he wrote the same book over and over again. "The Legend of the Deathwalker" is not as good as the Rigante series or the first two about Troy, but it still has all the ingredients of the his novels (a little bit of talk about philosophy, endings a little bit abrupt, characters that ar ...more
Carmine
Jun 11, 2017 Carmine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Combattere per il nemico

Importante tassello del mosaico che si incastra nelle cronache di Druss, seppur narrato - in medias res - durante il celeberrimo assedio di Dros Delnoch.
La narrazione epica sposa l'approccio romantico che scorre sotterraneo ai rapporti che intercorrono fra gli innumerevoli personaggi coinvolti nel dramma.
Lo scontro tra culture livella la desueta ripartizione fra ciò che è giusto o sbagliato: si combatte per sopravvivere, per vendetta o al fine di dominare altri, ma l'in
KostasAt
Sep 30, 2016 KostasAt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
8/10

In ‘The Legend of Deathwalker’ Druss’s legendary cycle of adventures comes to an end as Gemmell takes us, once again, to the past, in a story of how Druss actually earns the title of the Deathwalker and also of how fate sends him at the siege of Dros Delnoch.

The story starts 30 years before Legend , but after the main events of the First Chronicles ; with Druss still trying to find himself in the world, along with Sieben, his most loyal friend and poet master.
But when they get involved int
Jordan Maywood
Feb 19, 2014 Jordan Maywood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A podcast review of this book you say!? Why the hell not!?

The Nadir are the Kilngons of the Drenai Saga.

Hello!

Druss is back at it again in this mid-middle-quel to other books within this series. Will he prevail against all odds and defeat the stuff and things!? Probably... I discuss:

The Legend of Deathwalker by David Gemmel.

Pandahanna
May 18, 2016 Pandahanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best Gemmell - book (yet. I still have a few ones left to read)!
So much magic and adventure! I really enjoyed it!
Todd
Dec 08, 2012 Todd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is a fun book, which is an excellent prelude to 'Legend'. Gammell seems to have a love for sieges, although he has this tendency to being vary anti-climatical in the end.
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Legend of Deathwalker (The Drenai Saga, #7), David Gemmell
Fari Manonose
Feb 29, 2016 Fari Manonose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We once again go on an adventure with Druss the Legend, to find out how he got the name Deathwalker, among the Nadir. David Gemmel’s writing style as always is amazing. He was especially great at writing characters though. Although his heroes and their love interests always seem to have repetitive characteristics but I guess it follows that Heroes will have similar traits that make them heroes, and that the women they love would also share similar traits. His heroes aren’t identical though, they ...more
Rebecca
Sep 22, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book although it was hard to follow as it is the 7th in a series that I have read no other books.It took me awhile to get all the characters figured out and all the different peoples.
The story starts in a fight,Druss the legend is awaiting the Nadir to attack yet again. He is an older warrior, of around 50 or 60 and he has a young man next to him. As it turns out Dros is telling the young man his story of how he got his name "Deathwalker". He had been going to the games but had got
Andrea Bampi
Jul 21, 2012 Andrea Bampi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
7th book in the Drenai Series and third (and last one) book featuring Druss as main hero. Much better than its predecessor (The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend), it brings Druss' saga to a proper and satisfying end, answering some pending questions, recalling some memorable moments and offering some new bloody Snaga action. Nothing more but also nothing less than a Gemmell fan could ask from a Druss' novel; unimaginable to miss if you've already read Legend. Farewell Druss, it was damn fun ...more
Mayank Agarwal
Another good book from Gemmell. I liked the changes seen in his writing as he continues the Drenai Saga. Normally all his earlier books were pure recycle of the first book- Legend.
What i liked here is him getting into Nadir history and a clear explanation on what happened before.
What i didn't like was the larger then life battles in void. It makes all other battles previously fought in Drenai Saga insignificant.
The Ending was awesome - people will understand the significance only if they have r
Jen
Apr 23, 2015 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Legend of Deathwalker (Drenai Saga, #7) tells the story of how Druss gets his Nadir name of Deathwalker. It also tells of how Ulrech is created - which explains Druss's funeral in the very first Drenai Saga novel - and how Sieben finally found his ability to love which, it should be noted, is different than his ability to be a lover which we already knew him capable of.

Missing is Rowena.
Wolfdan
Apr 06, 2015 Wolfdan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pal
Druss est à Dros Delnoch et se tient face aux nadirs. Cette histoire est une mise en abîme. En effet, il en profite entre deux assauts pour raconter à un jeune fermier du nom de Pellin, un pan de son histoire. Il a connu un autre gars, un autre Pellin il y a trente ans de cela...
On retrouve avec plaisir Druss la Légende et le livre apporte des réponses à beaucoup de questions qui pouvaient encore se poser au sujet de cette saga.
Gary Duncan
Jan 24, 2016 Gary Duncan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite what I was expecting, I had imagined more life-defining battles that Druss had been involved in to gain his legendary status. Nevertheless, it's was still a thoroughly enjoyable read and I'm becoming a huge fan of David Gemmell's work.
Noah
Feb 01, 2016 Noah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is another Druss the Legend novel. The story revolves mostly around Druss telling an anecdote to a young soldier during the events that happen in Legend. Focused mostly on Druss's time with the Nadir, it follows the main pattern of many of the other books in the Drenai Saga.
Gary
Jan 22, 2016 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tom
Nov 08, 2015 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fine book

I think Gemmell was really coming into too his stride as a writer with this book. Legend is and all ways will be my favorite but it is a little rough. I think this and his many other books show how he just got better over time.
Tiberiu Pana
May 14, 2017 Tiberiu Pana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My oh my!

First thing first, I have to state that I've read David Gemmell's Troy trilogy, Legend and all the books in the Drenai saga that were before this one from a chronological point of view.
I wish now I haven't rated some of them as high as I did, only because this one is a rare gem.

The Legend of Deathwalker resembles the third one in the Waylander trilogy in the fact that even though the main character is Druss and the actions evolves around him, the reader's attention will most likely go t
Matteo Mazzoli
Jun 08, 2017 Matteo Mazzoli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ancora una volta Gemmell riesce a raccontare con la sua epica travolgente un'altro tassello della storia dei Drenai, concentrata questa volta sulla nascita del grande Unificatore del popolo Nadir, Ulric.
Mi è piaciuta la maggiore coralità delle voci e delle azioni dei personaggi,dove Druss è ancora capofila, con al fianco però Talismano, un uomo a cui viene assegnato il compito più importante dal meschino quanto potente sciamano Nostra Khan. Ma anche il Maestro Sieben è nuovamente sugli scudi, e
Geoff Battle
Jun 12, 2017 Geoff Battle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Druss is a real hero. He fights the worthy causes, for love, honour and righteousness. Druss is a man who sees right and wrong as black and white, and although he should be a simple man, his story which has spanned several novels, is a complex one. Gemmell cleverly devises a story which fits in-between existing tales, without warping their exiting plot-lines. This is the story of how the Nadir came to call him 'Deathwalker'. The story takes some time to manoeuvre the key players in to a position ...more
Rob
Dec 24, 2016 Rob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The perfect compliment to the first novel in the Drenai series. Druss indirectly aides the birth of the uniter of the Nadir and this tale foreshadows the epic clash at Dros Delnoch. In classic Gemmell style, the novel contains a siege and storming of a fortress where the defenders are against seemingly insurmountable odds. Pretty sure that happens in almost all novels in the Drenai series, but it never gets old. Looking forward to remainder of the Drenai books but very interested to see how it g ...more
320bird
总把Sieben想象成丹德里恩的样子。
Ian Banks
Jan 25, 2017 Ian Banks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adventure

Through a series of misadventures, Druss and Sieben find themselves taking part in a siege while a Nadir tribesman is searching for something to help his people unite under one banner. This is similar in theme to Quest For Lost Heroes - a quest that starts off as one thing then turns into something else that appears to be trivial - but much more uplifting.

Something that I've noticed in these more recent books is how Mr Gemmell has changed the way he writes about friendship. In his early books h

Carina
A friend gave this book to me and I admit I thought it was a standalone novel - yes it says "A novel of Druss the Legend" at the top but for some reason it didn't quite occur to me that that meant it was part of a series! That said, unlike a number of other books that are part of a series this one is written in such a way as to give me all of the knowledge I needed to understand who the characters were, where in the series this stood... and it did so in such a way that I want to read more becaus ...more
Troy G
Dec 01, 2010 Troy G rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Sometimes a thing is better than its parts. Sometimes a thing is less. In this case, this book is exactly as good as its parts. That made it a disappointment, because the rest of the Drenai Tales manage to rise above their somewhat pulpy ideas and characters. This book doesn't. It made me understand more about Druss in a way.

Druss isn't really all that special. What makes Legend good isn't Druss. It is a synergy between all of the elements. Without the synergy, Druss is just a character.

Critici
Valentine Pumpkins

Malgré un début plutôt laborieux, j'ai adoré suivre de nouveau les aventures de Druss et en apprendre plus sur le peuple Nadir :)
  • Noonshade (Chronicles of the Raven, #2)
  • Wit'ch Star (The Banned and the Banished, #5)
  • Shards of a Broken Crown (The Serpentwar Saga, #4)
  • La reine solitaire (L'assassin royal, #6)
  • The Thrall and the Dragon's Heart
  • The Horse Lord (Book of Years, # 1)
  • The Saints of the Sword (Tyrants and Kings, #3)
  • Salute the Dark (Shadows of the Apt, #4)
  • The Wicked and the Witless (Chronicles of an Age of Darkness, #5)
  • Gilden-Fire
  • The Bull and the Spear (Corum, #4)
David Andrew Gemmell was a bestselling British author of heroic fantasy. A former journalist and newspaper editor, Gemmell had his first work of fiction published in 1984. He went on to write over thirty novels. Best known for his debut, Legend, Gemmell's works display violence, yet also explores themes in honour, loyalty and redemption. With over one million copies sold, his work continues to sel ...more
More about David Gemmell...

The Drenai Saga (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Legend (The Drenai Saga, #1)
  • The King Beyond the Gate (The Drenai Saga, #2)
  • Waylander (The Drenai Saga, #3)
  • Quest for Lost Heroes (The Drenai Saga, #4)
  • In the Realm of the Wolf (The Drenai Saga, #5)
  • The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend (The Drenai Saga, #6)
  • Winter Warriors (The Drenai Saga, #8)
  • Hero in the Shadows (The Drenai Saga, #9)
  • White Wolf (The Drenai Saga, #10)
  • The Swords of Night and Day (The Drenai Saga, #11)