Start by marking “The Politics Of Ecstasy” as Want to Read:
The Politics Of Ecstasy

The Politics Of Ecstasy

Messiah, martyr, and high priest of the psychedelic, Dr Timothy Leary speaks out in this extraordinary testament.

Dr Leary was first plunged into the mind-expanding visionary maelsrtom one sunny afternoon in Cuernavaca, when he ate a handful of sacred mushrooms; in this startlingly candid collection of essays in defence of the ecstasy he discovered for the first time that a
Published 1971 by Paladin (first published January 1st 1968)

To ask other readers questions about The Politics Of Ecstasy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Politics Of Ecstasy

Kip Williams
Jun 14, 2010 Kip Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A 1968 edition I've had laying around since 1984. You know what, I wish Tim was right about the effects of psychedelics on our society. He predicted a new religious explosion as each man, woman, and child explored their own consciousness, transforming themselves into their personal Buddha or Lao Tzu. Mostly, we just went to jail and then cognitive therapy and career counseling. Still, acid did have the power to change. It was society that didn't.
Wersly
Feb 27, 2014 Wersly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is fucking ridiculous, and I mean that in the best way possible.
Isil
Jul 03, 2012 Isil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Zaten daha kitaba başlamadan Tom Robbins'in önsözünü görünce "haaaah tamam" dedim..

Bu sefer kitabı henüz bitirmeden parti parti yazmayı uygun buluyorum. Bu kitap biraz derleme gibi aslında. Değişik bölümleri var. En başlarında daha çok "dini aydınlanma"lardan bahsediyor. 'Din' derken ideolojik günümüz dinlerinden bahsetmiyorum. Krishnamurti'nin bahsettiği tarzda bir Tanrı'ya ulaşma ve dini yaşama olgusu var. Her neyse..

Timothy Leary, 60lı yıllarda politika
Ian Willis
Jan 18, 2015 Ian Willis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm rating this a little higher than I probably would normally on account of it being such an important historical artifact. Parts of this are excellent, for instance the Playboy Interview. What a fantastic piece of history! And some of his points on Herman Hesse's work as well make reading this worthwhile, though in general I would say it's a little repetitive and overly optimistic. I get WHY he was overly optimistic, he was aiming for something, but it's a bit sad almost 50 years later to see ...more
Colleen Stone
Dec 06, 2012 Colleen Stone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oddities
I give "The Politics of Ecstasy" a 5 star rating despite the fact that I haven't read it since the early 70s and can't remember much of it (if you can remember the 70s, you weren't there). What I do remember is that it was a little technical for my likings. It's attempts to chronicle the effects of LSD was as unexciting for me as "The Kinsey Report"s attempts to pin sexual response to paper.

So why the 5 stars? Well, it was just one of the books you HAD to read back then. It was a pillar of the
Jen
Mar 24, 2011 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this in 1970 when I was young. This is the copy I still have on my book shelf and you can see how well read it was. We carried it round with us and quoted it like a bible. Obviously, I was of the generation and we did tune in, turn on and drop out. It may seem dated to many who were not there, but for us it was the best instruction manual ever! :)
ali
Oct 03, 2016 ali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
whuh
Rich
Apr 11, 2008 Rich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keeping
Timothy Leary.

What can I say, but "Wow" and "ummm..."

This is a collection of essays and interviews with the cult psychologist/philosopher which helps introduce the "tune in, turn on, drop out" concept along with specific rebuttals against those who think LSD will cause mass failure of society or compare the results to crack or heroin.

Nevertheless, a book like this must be taken in stride, with an eye on the times, and a sense of the author's predisposition to outcomes.

Nevertheless, a wonderful v
Alan
read when I was a would be psychedelic warrior and wanted to tip acid (LSD) in to the town's water supply. Glad I didn't.
kayla reed
Nov 14, 2011 kayla reed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating book. I don't agree with tons of
his arguments or ideas, but I immensely enjoyed seeing things from his perspective. I would recommend this if the subject matter is appealing to you.
J
Oct 11, 2008 J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure if this is the edition I read ... The edition I read included Richard Alpert (aka Baba Ram Dass) in the author credit and was green and purple on the softcover.
Stingray
Stingray rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2015
Aile Shebar
Aile Shebar rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2013
Brett
Brett rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2015
Clackamas
Clackamas rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2008
Serra Boten
Serra Boten rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Robert Smith
Robert Smith rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2014
David Lavender
David Lavender rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2010
Helen A
Helen A rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2013
Eric Loew
Eric Loew rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2012
Carol
Carol rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2011
Robert Bilicki
Robert Bilicki rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2013
Jerome
Jerome rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2011
Vincenc
Vincenc rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2015
Simon Wood
Simon Wood rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2016
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2013
Tash
Tash rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2013
Paul Caire
Paul Caire rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2014
David Glines
David Glines rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2012
Ron Record
Ron Record rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2009
  • Moksha: Writings on Psychedelics & the Visionary Experience
  • Psychedelics Encyclopedia
  • Living on the Earth: Celebrations, Storm Warnings, Formulas, Recipes, Rumors, and Country Dances Harvested by Alicia Bay Laurel.
  • The Invisible Landscape: Mind, Hallucinogens & the I Ching
  • Cosmic Trigger 2: Down to Earth
  • The Greening of America
  • True Hallucinations
  • Cleansing the Doors of Perception: The Religious Significance of Entheogenic Plants and Chemicals
  • Tihkal: The Continuation
  • Growing Up Absurd
  • Entheogens and the Future of Religion
  • Plants of the Gods: Their Sacred, Healing, and Hallucinogenic Powers
  • The Evolutionary Mind: Conversations on Science, Imagination & Spirit
  • LSD: My Problem Child – Reflections on Sacred Drugs, Mysticism and Science
  • The Long Trip: A Prehistory of Psychedelia
Timothy Francis Leary was an American writer, psychologist, futurist, modern pioneer and advocate of psychedelic drug research and use, and one of the first people whose remains have been sent into space. An icon of 1960s counterculture, Leary is most famous as a proponent of the therapeutic and spiritual benefits of LSD. He coined and popularized the catch phrase "Turn on, tune in, drop out."
More about Timothy Leary...

“Emotions are the lowest form of consciousness. Emotional actions are the most contracted, narrowing, dangerous form of behavior.

The romantic poetry and fiction of the last 200 years has quite blinded us to the fact that emotions are an active and harmful form of stupor.

Any peasant can tell you that. Beware of emotions. Any child can tell you that. Watch out for the emotional person. He is a lurching lunatic.

Emotions are caused by biochemical secretions in the body to serve during the state of acute emergency. An emotional person is a blind, crazed maniac. Emotions are addictive and narcotic and stupefacient.

Do not trust anyone who comes on emotional.

What are the emotions? In a book entitled Interpersonal Diagnosis of Personality, written when I was a psychologist, I presented classifications of emotions and detailed descriptions of their moderate and extreme manifestations. Emotions are all based on fear. [...]

The emotional person cannot think; he cannot perform any effective game action (except in acts of physical aggression and strength). The emotional person is turned off sensually. His body is a churning robot. [...]

The only state in which we can learn, harmonize, grow, merge, join, understand is the absence of emotion. This is called bliss or ecstasy, attained through centering the emotions. [...]

Conscious love is not an emotion; it is serene merging with yourself, with other people, with other forms of energy. Love cannot exist in an emotional state. [...]

The great kick of the mystic experience, the exultant, ecstatic hit, is the sudden relief from emotional pressure.

Did you imagine that there could be emotions in heaven? Emotions are closely tied to ego games. Check your emotions at the door to paradise.”
72 likes
“a man--venerable, with a white beard, or on a cross, or as a baby, or a sage seated in the full lotus position. Are these not limiting incarnations, temporary housings, of the great energy process?” 0 likes