Start by marking “The Worst Princess” as Want to Read:
The Worst Princess

The Worst Princess

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  281 ratings  ·  70 reviews
Published April 1st 2012 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Worst Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Worst Princess

Feb 20, 2014 Manny rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Non-gender-stereotyped little princesses
If I tell you that the title page of The Worst Princess features a cartoon drawing of a princess in full regalia, hair plaited in medieval style and snaking down twice her length, little bird perched atop her crown, whilst Princess Sue herself sits on the floor lacing up her baseball boots, oblivious to the glimpse of her frilly knickers showing ... then you may have an idea of the tone of this book, first published in 2012.

Princess Sue is a rebel. She's a bit lazy, a bit mouthy and very cheeky
Jackie Blewett
Wonderful. Would get 5 stars except for the use of the word stupid (castle) which involves countless questions from my 4 year old who has been taught at school not to use the word stupid. A shame because Mummy refers to inanimate objects as stupid all the time. And also gets told off for it.
I try not to review my Children's books on here because I am usually doing the book challenge and it interferes with that. I am however well over my challenge for the year so figured why not.

My daughter was given this book as a gift from her nursery teacher when she graduated just before she started school. I myself really liked this book. It was nice to have a book where the princess has her own mind and views on what she wants and isn't a princess that just wants to find the charming prince a
Princess Sue follows all the rules to make sure that she's rescued by her true-love prince. Once she's rescued, she's whisked away to her happily ever after and a quiet life in the castle. Bummed out that she won't get to explore and "do all kinds of fun stuff too," she teams up with a dragon to have her own adventure.

Lovely illustrations, a great message about being yourself and finding your own happiness, this is a book that's sure to be a hit with parents looking for positive, independent pr
Sara Grochowski
Princess Sue has waited forever for a prince to come rescue her from the boredom of her tower, but, when he finally arrives, she doesn't get the happy ending she's been expecting. Instead of the freedom and adventure she longs for, her prince puts her in a penthouse... in another tower. After all, dragon-bashing and armor is strictly for boys only. But Sue won't give up her happily ever after so easily! When she spies a ferocious dragon she promptly invites him to tea and the two team up to show ...more
Michelle McBeth
The princess waits in her castle for a knight to come save her and to get her out of the castle. The princely knight does indeed come, but he takes the princess away to his castle. She feels stifled and wants to be free. She spies a dragon whom she befriends. The take off together and wreak havoc happily ever after.

The illustrations are very colorful and lots of fun.

The story is a twist on the typical princess in the castle tower story. This princess wants the freedom to go out and get dirty and
Eden Grey
Princess Sue is simply the worst. She won't sit in the tower's penthouse suite, twirling her hair and enjoying frilly dresses. Instead she's rather invite dragons for tea and play tricks on knights. And who could blame her? Not all girls want to be a traditional princess. THE WORST PRINCESS is a funny and clever story about a girl who tosses the traditional fairy tale on its side and then pours tea all over it.

Written in lyrical, rhyming prose, THE WORST PRINCESS is simply perfect for reading a
I saw this one in the library and I just had to have it when I read the description. Kick-ass princess? Dragon? Yes, and more yes!

This was a really fun and great book. Our main character is a princess, but she isn't like all the others. She still wants to be saved, however her expectations of what happens after the saving part are a bit different from normal princesses. Normal princesses might just be like: Ohh, finally away from this terrible place, I could use a cup of tea and some beautiful d
As I was working on the Bookmobile, I came across this super silly and delightful kid's story. Basically, Sue is a princess who is waiting in a tower for her prince to come. She knows how the story goes - she is supposed to be perfect and wait and grow her hair and her prince will save her. However, she is tired of waiting and she is getting antsy. Finally, her prince arrives, but what she has been waiting for was not everything she had dreamed it would be. Her prince turns out to be a "twit" an ...more
A Princess who realizes she doesn't need a prince? A Princess who would rather ride around on a dragon and cause mischief than have long hair and flowy dresses? Sign me up for an outing with this spunky princess!
Alexis Smith
The Worst Princess is an amazing story. Teaching children that they do not have to accept what society considers normal. Princess Sue is locked up in a tower and has waited for a prince to come rescue her. When her prince finally arrives she does not get her happy ever after. Instead the prince locks her in a penthouse in another tower. When the brave princess gets a chance she makes a friendship with a dragon and they go away with each other. This story is filled with rhyming perfect for childr ...more
Kayla H. Hoard
Princess Sue was just like the other princesses waiting on her Prince Charming. She had the long hair and the pretty dress. However, when her prince comes along she realizes that this is not the fairy tale ending that she imagined she would have. She escapes from the prince and befriends a fire breathing dragon. Her prince finds her and thinks that she is in danger. Does Princess Sue go back to the Prince and live the same old fairy tale ending, or does she bend the rules and stay with the drago ...more
Carla Spensieri
I found The Worst Princess by Anna Kemp while searching online for a solid feminist children's book that wasn't ugly. (A lot of feminist's books are outdated in their theme, and/or have illustrations that are not aesthetically pleasing.) I really like The Worst Princess for a few reasons. The illustrations are vibrant and clever. The text is candid and motivates the reader to engage with the plot. The theme is that when you are not satisfied with how you live your life, you should activate yours ...more
Very cleverly written and funny. I wasn't a huge fan of the illustrations, but the story more than tipped the scales for the good.
A bored princess waits in her tower for her prince to come and save her. But when he finally arrives she finds being rescued is not all she hoped for, and teams up with a friendly dragon to make life a little more exciting.

I loved the way this book began with the princess tropes and then deftly turned them on their head. It was also great to see a heroine who finds adventure and friendship, and my kids enjoyed the naughtiness of her revenge on the oppressive patriarchal prince! The rhyming text
After biding her time in a tower and following all the princess rules, Princess Sue think she will finally get to have a life when a prince arrives to rescue her. Sue quickly comes to see that happily ever after is just another kind of tower for her. With the assistance of a passing dragon Sue decides to do away with expected princess behaviours and have her own adventures.

With vibrant, expressive illustrations and a jaunty rhyme scheme, it is a wonderful book with a great message about being t
Girl power is celebrated in this picture book that turns the princess role firmly on its head. Princess Sue has been lingering in her castle for over 100 years, waiting for her prince to come and rescue her. Just as she is about to lose it, her prince appears on horseback and whisks her off. But just as Sue thinks that she is heading to freedom, the prince arrives at his castle where Sue is given her own tower filled with dresses and shoes and informed that she shouldn’t even be thinking of adve ...more
Big Book Little Book
Caroline for

I have a daughter. A dress wearing, pink loving, cover everything in glitter, girlie girl whose ambition she when she grows up is to be a princess. As a former tree climbing, den-building , tomboy (with the scars to prove it), I have to admit that at times her choices in bedtime literature are a little trying. Princesses, colourful fairies, ballet dancers and kittens have featured in all of her recent selections. So when I first laid eyes on The Worst Prince
Encruzilhadas Literárias
Apesar da dupla Sara Ogilvie e Anna Kemp já ter alguns livros infantis editados pela Civilização Editora este foi o primeiro que tive o prazer de ler. Como os leitores se devem lembrar da minha crítica ao livro A Princesa Espertalhona, gosto bastante de contos de fadas e gosto de me surpreender e Uma Princesa do Pior acabou por se revelar o melhor de dois mundos.
Com ilustrações lindíssimas e uma história fora do comum, foi com grande prazer que segui Maria na sua fantástica, embora pequena, ave
A princess looks forward to getting a prince because she thinks it will let her get free from being confined to a castle and princessy things, but when married life is just more of the same she takes matters into her own hands. Princess Sue befriends a dragon, escapes the castle walls, and finds her own "happily ever after" in this rhyming picture book. It's like Patricia C. Wrede's Enchanted Forest Chronicles (Talking to/Searching for/Dealing with Dragons) for the early elementary set!
The rhyming started off well, but soon started to get a bit jilty. Maybe it was meant to be that way because of how the princess's story is turning out. I can go with that. And I like the whole "not being forced into a role" message, but did any one else think it was a bit much, particularly in the ending? Overall, it works. And I like it. I especially love the first page. Will try it in storytime and see how they react.
Read  Ribbet
We've seen the anti-fairy tale before and The Worst princess joins others in the genre who discovers after waiting for ever for her prince that the life she envisions for her isn't the life she wants. Befriending a dragon allows her to escape and find the life she dreams of or in her eyes to live happily every after. Nice addition to the genre with clever toss away lines and bright illustrations.
As a princess it is expected that the fiery Princess Sue will meet a charming Prince and live happily ever after, but when her prince finally does arrive, she realizes he's not quite what she had in mind!
The light-hearted and rhyming language is easy for children to join in with, and the vocabulary is a little cheeky in parts adding to it's appeal. It subtly pokes fun at the typical princess stories and the main character is refreshingly fiesty & independent rather than the ‘pretty in pink’
This is a fabulous book for girls to read because it goes against the status quo of the prince rescues the princess and they live happily ever after. This story gives the princess something to do and makes it ok for the princess to be her own person. This was empowering for me to read as an adult, and it's a book I will happily share with my future daughters!!
This was an amusing read as the Princess if nothing like the usual storybook Princesses. Instead she wants to explore the world and beat dragons. So she befriends a Dragon who frees her from a horrible Prince and the confines of being a Princess.

I like how she owns who she is and still gets a happy ending.
In the same spirit as The Paper Bag Princess, which I consider the official classic mighty-girl-princess book, but this one holds up well in the comparison. The illustrations are especially fun when the prince is boasting about his exploits (I love the frog with the sword).
A new favorite! She's waited and waited for years for her prince to come and rescue her only to find that he intends to just move her into another tower instead of letting her really live. So she finds an ally in a dragon who helps her escape. Great fun! Great story!
My daughter loved this book. It has a nice rhyming rhythm that makes it fun to read, and the illustrations are great. I love the idea of a princess who wants more than pretty dresses and sitting around. Plus it has a dragon in it, so what more could a girl want? :)
Read this to Madam and laughed on almost every set of pages; very cleverly told and clever illustrations, too. Sometimes it's best to be the worst! Refreshing change from all those other princess books I pass out to others on a daily demanded basis.
  • Again!
  • Fraidyzoo
  • Big Bad Bubble
  • The Paper Dolls
  • The Runaway Hug
  • I Didn't Do My Homework Because...
  • Froodle
  • Queen Victoria's Bathing Machine
  • Goldilocks and Just One Bear
  • Fox's Garden
  • Water Can Be...
  • The Midnight Library
Dogs Don't Do Ballet Rhinos Don't Eat Pancakes Fantastic Frankie And The Brain Drain Machine Sir Lilypad The Great Brain Robbery