Divine Proportion: Phi In Art, Nature, and Science

Divine Proportion: Phi In Art, Nature, and Science

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The number Phi, simply defined, is one plus the square root of five, all divided by two. But its myriad occurrences in art, nature, and science have been a source of speculation and wonder for thousands of years. Divine Proportion draws upon both religion and science to tell the story of Phi and to explore its manifestations in such diverse places as the structure of the i...more
Published October 20th 2005 by Sterling (first published 2005)

Michael Snuffin
I knew little bits here and there about the import of the Divine Proportion, but The Secret Code puts everything together in one package. This does not read like a mathematical text; The Secret Code appeals to a more general audience, moving beyond the strictly mathematical import into connections with science, art and nature. The book has over 300 illustrations to assist the reader in grasping the whole concept of the Divine Proportion--the main purpose of this book.

I found the information on F...more
Jacob
the most interesting thing i learned from this book was how quantifiable beauty is. something that we think is so qualitative or subjective is really defined by a few sets of proportional values that has been understood for thousands of years. also, aristotle discovered not only that the universe has a shape, but what that shape is.
Andie Adams
The best book I have read on PHI and the Divine Proportion to date. Includes an entire chapter on Pythagoras and the Mystery of Numbers. Also a chapter on Fibonacci and the Fibonacci sequence. One chapter broke down how to divide a line, finding Divine Proportion and its significance in aesthetics. Found it a fascinating read.
-uht!
Fun intro to Phi. Not very deep, but it provides a decent smattering of ideas about phi. There was some cursory discussion about sacred geometry, too. The most interesting parts were the discussions of the Greeks and how they were trying to find meaning in the world through its structure. Geomerty became tantamount to religion and the divine. I think some people are still doing this, but for the most part, the *how* is a mechanical search and people have divided into two completely separate camp...more
Cheryl Gould
Fascinating look at the coincidences or the design of our world through mathematics - specifically Pi and the Fibonacci sequence and the resulting "Golden Section". The book looks at how the worlds of art, science and living things are governed by or can be explained by ratios. Lots of historical pictures. When I first started reading it, I just read a few pages and put it down enjoying a bit of scientific history. By the middle of the book, I got really fascinated by the point of the book. Can...more
Christian Enfraze
C'est une honte de sortir une daube pareille! On survole à peine le nombre d'or. Le reste ressemble à des débuts de dissertation à deux balles (du style: ""De tous temps, les hommes..."" ou ""Depuis la nuit des temps..."". Aucune profondeur, un texte uniquement allusif et, ""pompon sur la garonnette"", un hymne à peine voilé au créationnisme + une sauce ""new-age"" écoeurante... Beuark. A bien choisir, je me serais sans doute moins fait ch... à voir l'adaptation d'Anges et Démons au cinéma.
Chris Marchan
Excellent guide to understanding the historical, mathematical and spiritual significance of the Golden Mean and its place within us. It really does show how this Divine Proportion pervades every single thing in creation. Its recognition has not yet fully flowered upon humanity. This could be the Theory of Everything, or at least the signpost to it that scientists have been seeking since Kepler's time.
Nicole
Oct 15, 2008 Nicole rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in mathematics
Recommended to Nicole by: found it in the bargain book section at B&N
Illustrations of nature in relation to mathmatics and their respective explanations. Proportion is so common in our everyday life that we neglect to notice the beauty of our world. This book makes you think that the creator of this universe worked deliberately and with great intention!
Konsumschnecke
Ich fand das Buch toll. Voll nach meinem Geschmack. Mein Geschmack als Wissenschaftsjunkie, als Hobbymathematiker, als SchönesBuchFetischist und als Historikfreak und Möchtegernmystikerin. Dieses vereint alles und ist zudem auch noch verständlich geschrieben. Hundertprozentige Empfehlung.
Francois Cloutier
En français, « Code secret » est un livre qui nous montre l'importance du lien entre les mathématiques et la réalité. Parfait pour ceux qui ignorent ce qu'est le nombre d'or et l'importance de ce dernier tant en art qu'en physique.
Kathryn
I received this book as a Christmas gift, and it is amazing to see all of the great connections between math, art, music, science, etc. It explains the Golden Ratio and Phi such that even non-math people would understand.
Jaime Maldonado
..took me a while to get through some of the chapters but well worth it. This book is full of beautiful truisms and insights in these three overlaping disciplines.
Melissa
The beginning and middle are great. Loved learning about the history of mathematics, but the end starts to fizzle and loses its focus.
Tracy
May 06, 2012 Tracy marked it as to-read
I can only read this in the morning when my brain is still functioning at its optimal.
Kevin
Apr 08, 2008 Kevin marked it as to-read
Hopefully its as good as "e - the story of a number"
Erin
Math, science, physics, Phi...great stuff.
Amanda
Sep 08, 2010 Amanda is currently reading it
I find this very interesting
Ev
Ev marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Tony O
Tony O marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Chaz
Chaz added it
May 22, 2014
Batsukh Khuyagbaatar
Batsukh Khuyagbaatar marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Ampire
Ampire added it
Apr 27, 2014
Manou
Manou added it
Apr 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Hindu Gods: The Spirit of the Divine Ninety-Nine Names of Love: Expressions of the Heart The Little Book of Eastern Wisdom: Sufi, Tao, Zen The Tibetan Buddhism Deck: Buddhas, Deities, and Bodhisattvas - 30 Meditation Cards The Tao Box: Book and 50 Meditation Cards