Start by marking “Divine Proportion: Phi In Art, Nature, and Science” as Want to Read:
Divine Proportion: Phi In Art, Nature, and Science

Divine Proportion: Phi In Art, Nature, and Science

The number Phi, simply defined, is one plus the square root of five, all divided by two. But its myriad occurrences in art, nature, and science have been a source of speculation and wonder for thousands of years. Divine Proportion draws upon both religion and science to tell the story of Phi and to explore its manifestations in such diverse places as the structure of the i ...more
Published October 20th 2005 by Sterling (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Divine Proportion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Divine Proportion

Michael Snuffin
Jan 03, 2012 Michael Snuffin rated it really liked it
I knew little bits here and there about the import of the Divine Proportion, but The Secret Code puts everything together in one package. This does not read like a mathematical text; The Secret Code appeals to a more general audience, moving beyond the strictly mathematical import into connections with science, art and nature. The book has over 300 illustrations to assist the reader in grasping the whole concept of the Divine Proportion--the main purpose of this book.

I found the information on F
Jacob
Dec 07, 2011 Jacob rated it it was amazing
the most interesting thing i learned from this book was how quantifiable beauty is. something that we think is so qualitative or subjective is really defined by a few sets of proportional values that has been understood for thousands of years. also, aristotle discovered not only that the universe has a shape, but what that shape is.
Glamdring
*Review to come*
Andie Adams
Jul 07, 2014 Andie Adams rated it it was amazing
The best book I have read on PHI and the Divine Proportion to date. Includes an entire chapter on Pythagoras and the Mystery of Numbers. Also a chapter on Fibonacci and the Fibonacci sequence. One chapter broke down how to divide a line, finding Divine Proportion and its significance in aesthetics. Found it a fascinating read.
-uht!
Jul 31, 2007 -uht! rated it it was ok
Fun intro to Phi. Not very deep, but it provides a decent smattering of ideas about phi. There was some cursory discussion about sacred geometry, too. The most interesting parts were the discussions of the Greeks and how they were trying to find meaning in the world through its structure. Geomerty became tantamount to religion and the divine. I think some people are still doing this, but for the most part, the *how* is a mechanical search and people have divided into two completely separate camp ...more
John Coates
Very, very interesting and stimulating. Combines the mathematics of the Divine Proportion with philosophy, science, art, architecture, music, nature and mysticism.
Jacopo
Jan 27, 2016 Jacopo rated it it was ok
Interesting but confused and repetitive. Easy to read bit by bit.
Cheryl Gould
Aug 30, 2013 Cheryl Gould rated it it was amazing
Fascinating look at the coincidences or the design of our world through mathematics - specifically Pi and the Fibonacci sequence and the resulting "Golden Section". The book looks at how the worlds of art, science and living things are governed by or can be explained by ratios. Lots of historical pictures. When I first started reading it, I just read a few pages and put it down enjoying a bit of scientific history. By the middle of the book, I got really fascinated by the point of the book. Can ...more
Jane
Liked it for the pictures, the text was mediocre.
Christian Enfraze
Jul 25, 2011 Christian Enfraze rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviews, torcheculs
C'est une honte de sortir une daube pareille! On survole à peine le nombre d'or. Le reste ressemble à des débuts de dissertation à deux balles (du style: ""De tous temps, les hommes..."" ou ""Depuis la nuit des temps..."". Aucune profondeur, un texte uniquement allusif et, ""pompon sur la garonnette"", un hymne à peine voilé au créationnisme + une sauce ""new-age"" écoeurante... Beuark. A bien choisir, je me serais sans doute moins fait ch... à voir l'adaptation d'Anges et Démons au cinéma.
Chris Marchan
Aug 14, 2009 Chris Marchan rated it it was amazing
Excellent guide to understanding the historical, mathematical and spiritual significance of the Golden Mean and its place within us. It really does show how this Divine Proportion pervades every single thing in creation. Its recognition has not yet fully flowered upon humanity. This could be the Theory of Everything, or at least the signpost to it that scientists have been seeking since Kepler's time.
Nicole
Oct 15, 2008 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in mathematics
Recommended to Nicole by: found it in the bargain book section at B&N
Illustrations of nature in relation to mathmatics and their respective explanations. Proportion is so common in our everyday life that we neglect to notice the beauty of our world. This book makes you think that the creator of this universe worked deliberately and with great intention!
Konsumschnecke
Aug 10, 2013 Konsumschnecke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ich fand das Buch toll. Voll nach meinem Geschmack. Mein Geschmack als Wissenschaftsjunkie, als Hobbymathematiker, als SchönesBuchFetischist und als Historikfreak und Möchtegernmystikerin. Dieses vereint alles und ist zudem auch noch verständlich geschrieben. Hundertprozentige Empfehlung.
Francois Cloutier
May 01, 2012 Francois Cloutier rated it it was amazing
En français, « Code secret » est un livre qui nous montre l'importance du lien entre les mathématiques et la réalité. Parfait pour ceux qui ignorent ce qu'est le nombre d'or et l'importance de ce dernier tant en art qu'en physique.
Kathryn
Jul 13, 2008 Kathryn rated it really liked it
I received this book as a Christmas gift, and it is amazing to see all of the great connections between math, art, music, science, etc. It explains the Golden Ratio and Phi such that even non-math people would understand.
Jaime Maldonado
Feb 22, 2010 Jaime Maldonado rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
..took me a while to get through some of the chapters but well worth it. This book is full of beautiful truisms and insights in these three overlaping disciplines.
Melissa
Jun 05, 2012 Melissa rated it liked it
The beginning and middle are great. Loved learning about the history of mathematics, but the end starts to fizzle and loses its focus.
Tracy
May 06, 2012 Tracy marked it as to-read
I can only read this in the morning when my brain is still functioning at its optimal.
Kevin
Apr 08, 2008 Kevin marked it as to-read
Hopefully its as good as "e - the story of a number"
Erin
Jun 03, 2008 Erin rated it it was amazing
Math, science, physics, Phi...great stuff.
Amanda
Sep 08, 2010 Amanda is currently reading it
I find this very interesting
Maria Deutsch
Maria Deutsch marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Nejc
Nejc marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
-joss-
-joss- marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Ovidio Cartagena
Ovidio Cartagena rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Kenneth
Kenneth rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2016
Amelia
Amelia marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Brann Joly
Brann Joly marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
  • The Dictionary of Cliches
  • Interplay: The Process of Interpersonal Communication
  • Mythology
  • Digital Photography All-In-One Desk Reference for Dummies
  • Incompleteness: The Proof and Paradox of Kurt Gödel (Great Discoveries)
  • Left-handed History Of The World