Start by marking “Sleeping Cutie” as Want to Read:

Sleeping Cutie

Everyone agrees that Cutie LaRue is a perfect child . . . except at bedtime. She just isn't tired. Cutie's parents try absolutely everything to get her to bed--with disastrous results. But finally they discover Night Owl, a wondrous toy that takes Cutie on a fantastic journey to Dreamland.

The award-winning author and illustrator team of Andrea Davis Pinkney and Brian Pinkn
Published September 1st 2004 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Sleeping Cutie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleeping Cutie

Mary
Oct 03, 2016 Mary rated it it was ok
The familiar battle of bedtime is the setting for this fantasy. Parents buy Cutie an toy owl that is supposed to sing to her and help her go to sleep. Instead it comes to life and the pair fly to a nightclub and party. Too weird for me, and not a satisfactory solution to the "I'm not sleepy" routine.
Samantha Westall
All about a little girl that never wants to go to sleep until her parents buy her a new toy.
Imani Hampton
Sep 18, 2012 Imani Hampton rated it it was ok
Sleeping Cutie is not a book I would read to children. I did not like how the little girl in the book Cutie went to the nightclub. If the book would have left that part out the book would have been a lot better. Children could learn the importance of sleep for their bodies from this book.

Learning Experience: Children will learn how to know if they are sleepy. Put posters all around the classroom of pictures of people and how they look when thier tired. Example a person yawning, closing thier ey
Angela
Best for kids ages 4 and up
Early Literacy Skills: Print Motivation, Narrative Skills

From cover:
Cutie LaRue is almost perfect. She never fusses or whines or complains ... except at bedtime. Then she kicks up a storm because - no matter what her parents do or say - Cutie is just not tired.
To avoid a nightly bedtime battle, Cutie's parents find a promising new toy: Night Owl, "guaranteed to put a kid out till dawn." Will a jammin', jivin' journey to the Dreamland Nightclub with Night Owl do the t
Erica J
Feb 15, 2011 Erica J rated it it was amazing
Sleeping Cutie is a fantastic tale for little ones! This would be an excellent read aloud for a pre-k/kindergarten class. I love the character Cutie Larue and how she is so animated throughout the story, and doesn't want to go to sleep. Small children can relate because they are energetic individuals who have a hard time going to bed. I also love the vocabulary, it can open a great conversation piece into character traits. The illustrations by Brian Pinkney are awesome! They are very vivid and ...more
Michael
May 16, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it
This is a wacky book with a lot of colorful images full of action and entertainment, with a curious toy owl that is supposedly programmed to tire kids out with enticing activities. I liked the musical aspect, and I was pleased that it showcased a family of color as it seems that is not the norm, alas. The little girl was very believable and her complaints about bedtime were easy to identify with for my four-year-old daughter.
Jane Njoroge
Mar 15, 2016 Jane Njoroge rated it it was amazing
by Andrea Davis Pinkney,
The story is age appropriate and funny.
Everyone agrees that Cutie LaRue is a perfect child she never fusses or whines or complains except at bedtime. She just isn't tired. Cutie's parents try absolutely everything to get her to bed--with disastrous results. But finally they discover Night Owl, a wondrous toy that takes Cutie on a fantastic journey to Dreamland
Heidi-Marie
What is it with the slightly disturbing books today? This book is on a subject many are familiar with--children who don't want to go to bed. I personally am not a fan of the messy illustrations. They are unattractive and make my eyes hurt. In some ways, it's a little creepy about the Night Owl. But what active child wouldn't want to have that much fun every night? The way the story is written, it could make a good book for storytime.
Lindsey
Nov 30, 2011 Lindsey rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, picture-book
Cutie LaRue is a very well-behaved little girl except for when it comes to going to bed. The parents decided to try a new toy that is supposed to put children to sleep, a Night Owl. After giving it to Cutie LaRue, she finally sleeps at night. The Night Owl and Cutie LaRue go to a nightclub in her sleep in which she dances and has a great time.

Jan 07, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
An odd story about a little girl who doesn't sleep when its bedtime. Her parents buy her a Night Owl doll "guaranteed to put a kid out till dawn", because they're at their wits' end (which I'm sure parents can relate to). I think this would possibly work as a one on one bedtime read, but it's not the kind of story I could see an entire group relating to.
Precious Hill
This is a great book. I too can relate to this book. Cutie is a perfect child until it comes to going to sleep. They have tried everything to get her to go to sleep until they figured that singing is the magic. This boom is appropriate for K-3rd grade.
Kathryn Hogan
Good use of illiteration with some of the story. Cute, unrealistic. Teaches kids to dream and could be helpful when getting children to go to bed. Also, a good story to maybe read at bed time, not necessairly in class.
Jamie
Oct 18, 2010 Jamie rated it liked it
This was a quirky little book. I thought it was cute idea, but there were so many things that I kept thinking of as innuendos so I was having a hard time making it through it.... But it ended up having an interesting story line. Just don't read it to adults. Some will take things the wrong way.
Danielle Simmons
I really enjoyed this book and one reason is because I felt like I could relate. Cutie is a good girl except a bedtime. So her parents purchase night owl and they escape into her dreams where she has a lot of fun. Now Cutie can sleep as long as she has night owl to go on her adventures with.
Tonika
Jun 09, 2016 Tonika rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book. I found it very funny and cute that a lot of things was tried in order to get sleeping cutie to go to sleep and wasn't very successful until the end of the story. I would love to get a copy of this book to have in my preschool room!
Katherine
Mar 04, 2012 Katherine rated it really liked it
Shelves: imagination
This book is a great imagination book, I used to think all the time that my dolls would come to life when I went to sleep and this is a great way to let kids imaginations run away with them! It is a very good lesson learning book as well and is a very fun read!
Apr 30, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story about a young girl that cannot fall asleep at night. The Night Owl takes her on an incredible journey to Dreamland where her imagination comes alive. This book is full of great illustrations.
Audrey Harlan
Nov 25, 2010 Audrey Harlan rated it liked it
This was a cute, funny story. Sleeping cutie has trouble going to sleep so her parents find something to help her. The book made me laugh the whole time.
Jana
Cute story about a little girl who never wanted to go to sleep at bedtime. This would be a cute bedtime story.
Christie Rice
Apr 20, 2010 Christie Rice rated it it was amazing
I would use this book for an author study after meeting Pinkney. I would also use it to show the wonderful illustations in this book to the students.
babyhippoface
Jan 04, 2010 babyhippoface rated it liked it
If I could create illustrations like Brian Pinkney's, ahhh.... The story is okay, but the illustrations are delightful, as always.
Jenny Forgay
Mar 21, 2010 Jenny Forgay rated it it was amazing
I had a chance to listen to Andrea Pinkney speak at a conference and can definitely see some of Andrea in Cutie. Good book to use when talking about the importance of sleep.
Sophia
Feb 03, 2010 Sophia rated it liked it
A very cute book that takes the name after Sleeping Beauty. Beautiful illustrations and engages children in!
Monique Mcdonald
This book is a great fairytale book. It's a great book that helps parents who struggles with putting their kids to sleep.It can be read for pleasure or to prove a point.
Lisa
Apr 24, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it
I love to read this book to my grand babies when they have trouble sleeping. The text and imagery takes the reader on a wonderful night time journey.
May 02, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
An adorable book about a little girl who can not go to sleep. Her parents buy an owl that promises to do make her do just that. A great book to read just before nap time.
JC
JC rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2014
LeGrand
LeGrand rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2007
Nick Philip
Dec 08, 2014 Nick Philip rated it really liked it
Shelves: recent, picture-book
A really fun story about going to bed. The didactic nature could be very relateable.
Datoria
Oct 09, 2010 Datoria rated it did not like it
not a book that I would read to children.
« previous 1 3 next »
Andrea Davis Pinkney is the New York Times bestselling author of more than 20 books for children, including the Caldecott Honor Book and Coretta Scott King Honor Book Duke Ellington, illustrated by Brian Pinkney; Let it Shine: Stories of Black Women Freedom Fighters, a Coretta Scott King Honor Book and winner of the Carter G. Woodson Award; and Alvin Ailey, a Parenting Publication Gold medal ...more
More about Andrea Davis Pinkney...