The Flesh of Fallen Angels

The Flesh of Fallen Angels

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  18 reviews
It's the eve of The Ripening as Gibson Blount discovers the secret history of an ancient race and the true outcome of Lucifer's fall. Now, the fallen angel, Azazel, has horrific plans for Blount's town...and the world. With the help of a local priest, a prostitute, an orphan, historical figure William Quantrill, and one of God's chief angels, Blount must dig for truth and...more
Kindle Edition
Published February 14th 2012 by Grand Mal Press

To ask other readers questions about The Flesh of Fallen Angels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Flesh of Fallen Angels

Vicki
GOODREADS FIRST READS WIN: I was surprised by how I got into this book! The book interested me because of its western flair, not for its horror. I was attracted to the idea of a "genre-bending horror western" so I decided to give it a try (I was born in Texas).
Because I am an English teacher I can't help but to look at a book not only for my own personal reading pleasure, but also for the writing style or literary qualities.
FIRST READS WIN: The Flesh of F...more
Nick Cato
Booth and Riley have saddled up a wild cast for this pulpy blast that's a cross between a spaghetti western and Tales from the Crypt's DEMON KNIGHT film.

Gibson Blount travels from town to town, attempting to protect citizens from the fallen angels who are bent on destroying everything in their path. Told in a Now/Then format, the authors slowly reveal why Blount does what he does, culminating in a gory, action-packed finale that had me on the edge of my seat.

While demon-themed horror stories get...more
Michael S. Gardner
I've just finished this book and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it.

This story is a bit of a change for me, as I find myself reading about the zombie apocalypse more often than not. Well, I have to say that I'll be searching 'outside the box' for more treasures like this.

The story follows Gibson Blount, a character who makes appearances in more of Mr. Riley's works. He is set in a journey to stop the Fallen from destroying a town to which he is drawn - something that isn't unfamiliar wit...more
Ron
I mostly enjoyed reading this story, it is a mere 96 pages on my Nook so I read it in one sitting. The story starts off with Gibson Blount traveling around the old west during the Civil War in the U.S. seeking towns that have been "marked" for destruction by a demon horde. Initially it reminded me of "Gathering of Crows" by Brian Keene even down to the missing Roanoke colony being attributed to these creatures, interestingly enough the creatures are called "Cro" in this book.
Saving a town, howe...more
Pia Veleno
This story switched back and forth between "Now" and "Then". This is a writing technique that I've never enjoyed as a reader, so take this review with a grain of salt. And a shot of tequila.

After all, most the other reviews here... Anyway...

At first the time flips weren't too distracting, because it was better to have short, interesting flashbacks than info dumps to explain the character's motivations, and to line up the theme of Ouroboros. As we reached the end game, however, the flashbacks slo...more
Dark
The Flesh of Fallen Angels adds another foray into the Weird Western subgenre, which is growing in horror. We start things off with a gunslinger type, Blount, who goes around killing demons because of one specific demon, Azazel, who was ultimately responsible for killing Blount’s wife and unborn child.

The shifting “Then”, “Now” (and “Between”) establish that in the present timeline (around the 1860s) Blount is trying to warn a new town’s head honchos that the Ripening is upon them and that if th...more
Craig
*free ebook version received from Grand Mal publishers through the Horror Aficionados Group*

I found the novella The Flesh of Fallen Angels to be a quick, intriguing read. The story was well written in terms of no glaring grammatical or spelling errors. The dialogue certainly felt genuine to me. The authors certainly did a nice job in dragging the reader along through the story.

The biggest problem I had with the story was the modern style weapons that were used by the fallen angels and the main...more
Donald L
From my Casa de Pitsiladis blog;

Today I offer a review of “Flesh of Fallen Angels” by Roy C. Booth and R. Thomas Riley. This story is a western in its location and characters, but more of a horror story in its style. The story follows a man named Gibson Blount, hard-nosed man with a scar across his throat, a score to settle, and an ability to see and interact with demons. The story opens with Gibson looking down at a small town named Amber Creek. He is searching for Azazel, a demon that raided h...more
Bryan Hall
This book roped me in from the opening and never let me go. Booth and Riley have created a great character in Gibson Blount, and a great world to explore. It's great to see such a fresh take on the horror western, and this is just that.

But best of all for me is the fallen angel aspect. I love the Prophecy movies and the Preacher comic book is my favorite work of fiction ever written. This book has flashes of those stories while still staying unique and true to itself.

The way the story is told is...more
Rick Shepard
From the very first page of this novella, I was drawn into the dark, gritty feel of the story, and the first thing that came to mind was Jonah Hex. That combination of horror, western, fantasy and a bit of a 'noir' feel. "Flesh of Fallen Angels" certainly leans a lot more toward the fantasy side of things, but it still has a lot of that dark, edgy feel that you would find if you read a Jonah Hex story. The description talks about a detective fighting demons, but Gibson Blount is no detective. He...more
Bill
A battle between good and evil in the old west! Booth and Riley deliver a very good tale of fallen angels who are collecting souls to prove that God is dead and to open up the gates of Hell here on Earth. Powered by fear and torment these “fallen” must get by Gibson Blount , a reluctant and divinely inspired hero, that has devoted his life to hunting down these dark creatures.

I really enjoyed the premise of the story and the characters were well drawn out and realized. The ending left me wonder...more
Jennifer Woodford
The plot of this book starts off as a priest, a prostitute, a gunslinger and an angel enter a bar and....just kidding. If your a fan of horror books and gun-slinging westerns filled with blood, gunpowder, demons and cowboys, then this book is perfect for you.

Taking place during the American Civil War, the main character Gibson Blount loses his entire family to a demon born plague. Hell-bent on revenge Gibson will not allow anyone or anything from getting in his way of vanquishing Azazel. His co...more
Daveo
I got this book for free from Grand Mal Press as part of their special offer in April. Wow! What a great read (and NOT because it's free). It's really good, with suspense, action, and metaphysics :) The structure was alternated between the present and the past, allowing the backstory to be told in an interesting way. The prose was vivid and helped the story come alive. Overall, a very enjoyable read!!
Donna Thompson
OK, so every once in a while you just need to read a book about demons and angels warring and tearing people apart in the old west, similar to how you might crave a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup. And this book hits the spot.
J
Liked the western/horror/technology mix, enjoyed the story line, the writing and twists and turns of the story. The only one thing that was not to happy with was what I considered an abrupt ending to the story.
Yy
Apr 23, 2012 Yy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I won this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. Hope to read it soon. Thanks.
Marissa
Marissa marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Sevarina
Sevarina marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Tracy
Tracy added it
Jul 01, 2014
Trax
Trax marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Nicholas Boyd
Nicholas Boyd marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2013
Ashley James
Ashley James marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Have We Met Before? (Dealing with a Recrudescent Character) 1 2 Mar 23, 2012 05:37PM
520955
R. Thomas Riley is the author of the short story collection THE MONSTER WITHIN IDEA (2009-2011) published by Hugo Nominated Apex Publications and garnered a Best Horror of the Year Honorable Mention, for his story TOO LITTLE. The collection was re-released as a Kindle exclusive in 2011 and on January 14, 2013; the collection reached the Top 100 Paid Bestseller list in the Horror category. To date,...more
More about R. Thomas Riley...
The Monster Within Idea If God Doesn't Show Husks Their Last Dying Acts and Other Stories Revenants: A Digital Chapbook