Start by marking “Shadow Castle” as Want to Read:
Shadow Castle

Shadow Castle

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  464 ratings  ·  81 reviews

Published (first published 1945)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow Castle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow Castle

Before I read this book again I was prepared to give it 5 stars for being a childhood favorite. Then I read it and my jaded adult self couldn't leave it at that.

I deducted one star for the names Flumpdoria, Flame and Glauz. You might think that's a little harsh, but the name King Klux ultimately pushed me to this decision. Klux is about as unfortunate as naming your child Adolf.

I deducted another star for the vegetarian dragon. Ever since the whole Twilight saga, I'm extremely suspicious of any
Starla Huchton
Mar 19, 2011 Starla Huchton rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone and everyone, children especially
Recommended to Starla by: my mother
Shelves: ya, fantasy
There are those books we read as a child and never forget. I couldn't tell you how many times I would run across this book as a kid, stop whatever I was doing, and sit right there for HOURS and re-read it. This seemed to happen at least once a year. I'm always astounded that no one seems to have heard of this book. I only recently discovered someone I know on Twitter has read it and love it as much as I do! It's one of those magical stories that you find yourself wishing were true. My grown-up, ...more
One of those books when encountered young that will haunt you for years, if only trying to dredge up the title in your head or answer those conversations that begin "did you ever hear about a book where...." Cockrell wrote a fairly simple (and often slightly twee) twisting of classic fairytales into a novel for children -- but there's a spark too of a deeper story. If you encounter Mika, Gloria, and the reason behind the shadows before age 10, you'll find yourself haunted too.
May 01, 2013 CLM rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to CLM by: SLM
A long overdue review:

It is wonderful that this book is back in print. My copy growing up was a hardcover printed during WWII (it had been my mother's) on paper nearly as thin as tissue paper, with a plain dark green cover.
If I were on a desert island and could only have five books with me, this book would be one of them. It is a childhood favorite for both my mom and me. Even my friends from high school read it and loved it.
This is the first fantasy that I remember reading. I was probably 10 or so. I always remembered it fondly and saved my copy for many years for my someday children. Well I read it to my boys and they loved it too. It may not have been quite as magical as it was all those years ago but it stood up well to an adult read, especially as I was reading it out loud to my sons.
This is perhaps the first book I ever remember reading by myself. At least, this is the one that stuck with me. For years, I couldn't remember the title. Then one day I ran across it as a yard sale. I was so happy to discover it again. My daughter was less impressed but she was older by then. Easy read (obviously) but a cute story, one which stayed with me over the years.
Toni berkshire
Mar 05, 2008 Toni berkshire rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hanna, nick, lydia
Recommended to Toni by: Miss Ruth Ingham, 3rd grade teacher Emerson school
1953 was about the year that I first read this book, 52 years ago, and have been looking for it ever since. I thought it was absolutely magical to read this in 3rd grade. It was pre t.v. and Harry Potter and goblins, and such books were not that plentiful then. Still think it is a good little book and hope my grandchildren will like it.
I escaped into this book so many times as a child. It is, pure and simple, a wonderful fairy tale. If you or a child you know loves fairies, magic, dragons, secret enchantments and more, make sure to add it to your bookshelf.
Chrissi Jackson
My very favorite childhood book. I had forgotten the name of it and finally just found it again. Anyone who loves fantasy books should read this. If it were written today it would be a best seller!!
Sep 27, 2011 Constance rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young readers ready to move from rainbow fairies
This was a fondly remembered childhood favorite. While it doesn't really stand the test of time for me as an adult reader, I was surprised at how many passages I remembered vividly and was delighted to remember the ways those passages had struck a chord with my 10-year-old self. I guess there is a teeny bit of the romantic in me. This book has the elements of a childhood classic: parents absent (naturally); adventures found at the end of a trail you've passed a dozen times; mysterious castle in ...more
Elinor  Loredan
Shadow Castle is like a collection of expanded fairy tales, with the same magical and marital elements found in fairy tales, but a little more background and commentary on the characters. I was hoping the book would feature more of Lucy, but I followed the connected stories of the 'shadow people' with delight. The fairies, elves, magical mouse, west wind, Flumpdoria, dragon, mountain covered in flowers--all were enchanting.

As to things I found to be less delightful--I don't like Gloria and Mika
Author: Marian Cockrell
Title: Shadow Castle expanded ed.
Description (source): In the middle of a deep forest is an enchanted valley and a castle where only shadows live, shadows of kings and queens who have waited for hundreds of years for the spell cast upon them to be broken. One day, a girl named Lucy follows a little dog through a tunnel into the valley and meets the mysterious red-haired Michael, who takes her into the shadow world to meet Prince Mika and his mortal wife Gloria, their child
I adored this book when I was growing up. I remember finishing it and instantly re-reading it - over and over again. After years of trying to recall a title and fruitless searches online - I finally found it again. Would I give it five stars if I were reading it for the first time as an adult? No. Probably 3.5. But there is something to be said for the magic of a book that has stayed with you for over 40 years. And for that I'll give it a resounding five stars.
The original was my favorite book when I was little, and when I found out there was a special edition one I had to read it. The only difference really between the two is that the speical edition has some added chapters that the author had apparently omited from the original publication. Even though I loved this version too, I'm alittle bit torn. I feel like because of the added chapters there was a lot of things repeated that could have been edited out. But at the same time all the extra chapter ...more
Avie Layne
Shadow Castle was passed down to me at age 10 from a favorite Aunt. As I grew, I must have read this book 3-4 times per year. When I became a mother, I wanted to pass along this delightful story once my boys were old enough to listen to what they called a "chapter book". They too selected this book to be read 3-4 times per year. Both grown and one with children, the oldest one located a new copy of the book, purchased it and reads it to his children. The children are now requesting that "grammio ...more
I read this in, oh, 1974? I found it on our family bookshelf and took it up to our very rustic summer cabin. The framing device involves a girl who finds a fairy castle in the woods surrounding her home on a mountainside, so it seemed an appropriate place to read this.

The book was pleasantly creepy and weird, but there was something about it that still prevented me from really liking it or bothering to remember its title and author (the way I always remembered the title and author of The Tombs
Robbin Rose
this was my favorite childhood book - i remember buying it with my own money through the scholastic book club :-)
45 years later, Princess Bluebell and Prince Michael still charm me.
Where do I even begin with this book? Whoever is reading my review I'll just say this, this book is very life-changing and inspirational in ways. This book is very old, I believe it was made in 1972, but this book ties everything together from beginning to end. I caught some spelling and grammar errors, but I still understood the story. Even at the end, I thought, "why can't this book be a series??" Lol I recommend it highly for the fairy tale lovers and the ones who are looking for a good book ...more
Carol Strickland
May 14, 2014 Carol Strickland rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids and adults
This was my favorite fantasy when I was a kid, and I still re-read it every so often. Yes, it could stand updating as to genre roles (I would LOVE to be part of a graphic novel for this!), but the tale is timeless and exciting. It even has a dragon! (I've named two cats after Branstookah.)

A word of warning: It isn't necessary to get the expanded version of the book. Apparently the original editors were wise in editing out some chapters that were repetitive of other adventures already in the book
I don't know why, but this book flashed into my brain tonight...first the shadows on the walls, then the cover, and eventually the title. I remember reading this as a kid, a paperback version with this cover bound together by tape. I haven't even thought of it in years, but I'm pretty sure it was kind of delightful.
I read this as a child and I absolutely loved it! It had goblins, magic, a prince, a princess and a dragon. When I re-read it as an adult, I thought the writing was pretty bad and unoriginal. But I'll never forget how it fed my imagination and my love to read.
Mark Smiley
I had read many reviews on how wonderful this book was, how it inspired many writers and so forth. So I ordered it.

I dragged myself through the first twenty pages or so. Agonized through them. Then, somewhere along the way, my attitude changed. I saw this story as one to which writers and readers might have been introduced to early in life, before early teen years. It had wonder and amazement in it at that stage of life. It had enchantment and excitement and did not slow down much rough out.

Cute story, a little old fashioned in some ways (in that it's a story told in a story told in a story..) but has some modern thinking to ease the squeeze (a vegetarian dragon and spunky heroines). I can totally see how it enchanted some readers in the 40s and 50s as a favorite of that time.

(on a personal note, this is not the book I read in sixth grade, thus i needs must keep searching.. alas!)
Shadow Leitner
A favorite book from childhood. I still have my original copy with its dog-eared and yellowing pages. A very special book.
Diana Marsh
This is one of my all-time favorite books. My mom and I always read it together when I was a kid, and it's absolutely magical.
i remember this being one of my favorite books from childhood. i realized i had kept my copy, which was previously my sister's copy, and decided i needed to read it give you an idea of how old this book is, the pages are brown with age, and the cover price of the book is 45 cents. as i am re-reading this book the memories of it are steadily flooding back. ps-finished this book now, and definitely still liked it. the more i got into it i pretty much remembered how it was going to end, ...more
Marci Hopkins
One of my favorites as a child, and elusive as the castle itself as an adult.
Dawn Gomez
A favorite from my childhood, I re-read this book in a fit of nostalgia. I found it charming, if a bit dated. (It was originally published in 1945!) It was definitely written for children, and the children I know might find it a bit slow for them--possibly I would recommend this book for the ages between 8 and 10. And while I loved the stories told within, I was briefly disturbed by the subtle sexism, such as the old-fashioned notion that ladies let the men do the fighting for them. I would reco ...more
  • Crown and Jewel (Bracken Trilogy, #2)
  • The Little Lame Prince
  • The Wednesday Witch
  • Magic Elizabeth
  • The Legend of Holly Claus
  • Black and Blue Magic
  • The Time Garden (Tales of Magic, #4)
  • The Crimson Fairy Book
  • Tales of the Kingdom (Tales of the Kingdom, #1)
  • The Witch Family
  • The Court of Stone Children
  • Shakespeare's Lady
  • Unicorn's Blood (David Becket and Simon Ames, #2)
  • A Traveller In Time
Marian Cockrell was a talented screenwriter as well as novelist, best known for the enchanting Shadow Castle.
More about Marian Cockrell...

“Lucy shivered and went on again. 'This is an adventure,' she thought. 'You can't have an adventure if you stop in the middle.” 8 likes
“It was love at first sight with Robin, but probably the Princess Bluebell had been in love with him all the time she had been at the castle, although she wouldn't say so, of course.” 1 likes