Start by marking “A Fatal Verdict (The Trials of Sarah Newby, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Fatal Verdict (The Trials of Sarah Newby, #2)

A Fatal Verdict (The Trials of Sarah Newby #2)

What would you do if someone murdered your child, but the justice system let you down?

Kathryn Walters is faced with this dreadful decision when her daughter, Shelley, is found dead in her boyfriend's flat. Despite the best efforts of the Crown Prosecution barrister, Sarah Newby, it seems possible that the boyfriend, David Kidd, may be acquitted. Should her family tolerate
Published July 9th 2011 by White Owl Publications

To ask other readers questions about A Fatal Verdict, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fatal Verdict

Eric_W
Oct 13, 2012 Eric_W rated it really liked it
Lili
Aug 29, 2012 Lili rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-fiction, kindle, a
Enthralling crime thriller, the second book in the series and although the first one was good this is better. The characters Sarah Newby and Terry Bateman are believable as barrister and detective. There is also an underlying sense of attraction between the two. I don't want to say much about the story as there are twists and turns all the way through and it would be easy to spoil the suspense the author weaves through the pages. Great read.
Pauline Barclay
Jul 23, 2012 Pauline Barclay rated it it was amazing
If you love courtroom drama, you will love A Fatal Verdict, but beware, there is much more to this book than courtroom theatrics. It will have you sitting on the edge of seat begging for justice! I can only hope Tim Vicary will be publishing more of Sarah Newby trials. This book is a B.R.A.G. Medallion Honoree and it is clear to see why.
Indiebrag
Jun 04, 2012 Indiebrag rated it it was amazing
a murder and a court room drama- a real page turner. This is a series I think you are going to really enjoy.
Chris Longmuir
Aug 03, 2013 Chris Longmuir rated it it was amazing
I’m an avid crime reader but must admit I don’t normally read court-room dramas. I’m not sure why that is, maybe it’s because I can’t get rid of the feeling that because the setting is a formal one, this will detract from the suspense of the story. However, I won this book in a competition, so it follows that I had to read it. Well, I’m glad I did, because this was one of the most thrilling, page-turners I’ve read for some time.

The characters were completely realistic, and I was completely drawn
Oct 10, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, kbr
A Fatal Verdict is the second in the Sarah Newby Trial trilogy.

The book follows the story of a family whose daughter dies at her boyfriend’s flat. He alleges suicide, they murder. What is clear is that David Kidd is a nasty piece of work. The story follows the police investigation, the trial and the fall out from the trial judgement.

A series of mistakes are made throughout the police investigations, and the story uncovers these. The first book in the trilogy, A Game of Proof, is focussed very m
Mike
Jun 21, 2013 Mike rated it liked it
Like another reviewer I thought the police investigation did not ring true – too many holes. The failures suited the plotting but questions were not asked that would have been and checks, that should automatically have been carried out, weren't. For instance: not enough was made of the answering machine comments, why weren't the wine glass contents analysed? Could even an elderly pathologist miss the 'roofies' when he found 'a little alcohol in her blood'? And the pills missed by SOCO in the sug ...more
Jenny Twist
Jun 18, 2012 Jenny Twist rated it it was amazing
Gripping Stuff!

David Kidd is a nasty piece of work. You know, right from the beginning, that he has murdered his girlfriend, but proving it is a different matter. Sarah Newby believes she can win the case, but police incompetence lets her down and the victim's mother, Kathryn Walters, is denied justice.
When David himself is murdered shortly after being acquitted, all the evidence appears to point to Kathryn but she maintains her innocence. Can Sarah persuade the jury, even though Kathryn herself
Babus Ahmed
Jan 23, 2015 Babus Ahmed rated it it was amazing
A compelling read by legal thriller writer Tim Vicary. The murder of Shelley leads to the arrest and trial of David Kidd. The trial does not seem to be going as planned and he maybe freed. Retribution by a family member leads to Kathryn Walter's Shelley's mother being put on trial for Kidd's murder, can justice be done the second time round?

The courtroom scenes are the best of British legal drama by this author and I look forward to reading the next Sarah Newby Book. I was frustrated at the sta
B.A. Spicer
Dec 29, 2012 B.A. Spicer rated it it was amazing
I always have at least three books on the go at one time. One of them on my kindle for reading before I go to sleep. The latest one, just finished, was Fatal Verdict by Tim Vicary.

It started out well, but then it got better and better. I like to second guess what is going to happen next in this kind of book and I am disappointed if the plot is too predictable. I was not disappointed with Fatal Verdict, which kept my interest more and more as the storyline developed and became more complex and gr
Lynda Kelly
May 24, 2012 Lynda Kelly rated it really liked it
This is the second in the series subtitled The Trials of Sarah Newby. It was very good indeed. A guy finds his girlfriend has supposedly committed suicide in his bed but he's accused of her murder. This time around Sarah's prosecuting. He is found not guilty but then is later murdered himself and somebody in the dead girl's family has done it for revenge but who ? And did Sarah and her policeman colleague Terry do enough to prosecute him in the first place ?
This series are very good and there's
Peg McMahon
Feb 09, 2016 Peg McMahon rated it really liked it
Probably won't read the next

I was completely impressed by the first book in the series. But this one? Maybe I am just too addicted to happy endings. I almost quit reading about half way through the book when it became apparent that there was no way this would end well - for any of the characters. Personal and professional lives unraveling everywhere you looked. Personal and professional ethics compromised. I know this series is taking a gritty look at the flawed humans driving a flawed legal sys
Cathy
Aug 12, 2012 Cathy rated it liked it
Sarah begins to defend the family who's daughter was found in David Kidd's bathtub appearing to be suicide, but with evidence surfacing it appears he killed her. Without enough evidence against him he is found "not guilty" of murderer. The girls mother kathryn is very distraught over the verdict and when David is later found dead in his vehicle that went into the water with him trapped inside, Sarah now finds herself defending kathryn after evidence is found at the scene appearing to be kathryn' ...more
Bethany
May 31, 2012 Bethany rated it really liked it
Fatal Verdict, set in York, England, kept me turning the page and the best part for me was the attention the author paid to editing. It is a modern tale of loss and revenge, from the point of view of the victim's family, police, and lawyers. The dialouge was real, although British. The characters came to life in the most intimate situations. Too many authors, especially with e-books seem to rush through and their wonderful story is peppered with simple grammar errors. Wonderful read because I wa ...more
Tim
Dec 26, 2012 Tim rated it liked it
This is the second of the Sarah Newby books in the series and the second that I have read. I enjoyed this book, but it is definitely not a fast read. This is a good story for people who like mysteries and police novels. It is full of detail and the plot is well thought out and executed. The only "warning" I would give is for American readers (or non-native English speakers)- the book is set in England and uses British terms and vocabulary as well as being set within the British system of justice ...more
Myra
Sep 09, 2013 Myra rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Barrister Sarah Newby is called to prosecute a murder charge against a man believed to kill his girlfriend (by the woman's mother). And then is called upon again to defend the mother.

Overall, quite the good book. Engaging story, although at times a bit beyond the boundaries of belief. Some editing issues, or I might have gone 4 stars. I am very happy that I've been able to get the first one in the series for free since reading this one.
Lynda Hunter
Aug 13, 2013 Lynda Hunter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: courtroom-drama
Having loved the first "Sarah Newby" this second in the trilogy was equally a great read. I love Tim Vicary's writing, it is compelling and so well put together. I find I really care about Sarah Newby and her success. Her character is so real and indeed the entire characterisation in the novel is so honest and believable.

I really enjoyed the way Sarah relationships are building and the actual courtroom drama is fascinating, I loved it.
Rose
Oct 29, 2015 Rose rated it it was amazing
Fatal Verdict: thought provoking & difficult to put down

Well, this book is an enjoyable read. It has all the right parts to make it interesting and keep one's attention. I am not happy about the outcome, but then that is because the bad guy, although he ends up being the dead guy, doesn't actually end up being the one punished. Arrgh! That's the inly part that i found disappointing. And that is not the fault of the book. Not really.
Carole Mills
Feb 01, 2015 Carole Mills rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the Sarah Newby series that I have read & enjoyed. I think, for me, this one was possibly slightly better than the first. Looking forward to reading the final one in the series.

Set in York this is a story based around the British judicial system. Sarah Newby is a very human barrister having worked hard to get where she is.. If you enjoy a good murder mystery/courtroom drama you will enjoy these!
Bren
Nov 04, 2012 Bren rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Bren by: Free download
I loved this book! It kept me up most of the night last night and book three in the series, "Bold Counsel", is now the next in line to be read. I hope there will be more books to follow.
The story centres around the career, family and colleagues of the main character, Sarah, and involves human tragedy, morality and questions the British justice system. A brilliant read.
Frank Coles
Apr 06, 2012 Frank Coles rated it it was amazing
BBC drama are missing a trick here. The characters, northern location, the crimes and the court room are all expertly well drawn. I'd watch these Sarah Newby thrillers any day. Just bought the next book while writing this review. Even though I'm not a fan of court room dramas.
You'd think they were well written or something wouldn't you?
They blooming well are.
Ken Schloman
Feb 18, 2013 Ken Schloman rated it liked it
The English setting is interesting given that it is a different twist on the usual American setting on the legal thrillers I've read. Plot is tight and the ending is NOT the usual "every thing works out for the best". Getting used to the British vocabulary and legal system takes some time but overall a good , fairly quick read.
Addrian Boyd
Jun 24, 2013 Addrian Boyd rated it it was amazing
If you love legal thrillers you will love following Sarah Newby as her world, as well as her clients world fall apart around them. Love a good happy ending, but The authors real life tale is such an enthralling read! So good!! Hard to put down!
Gayle
Jul 05, 2012 Gayle rated it it was ok
Sorry to say this but "A Fatal Verdict" would have been MUCH more enjoyable had it been a Reader's Digest condensed version. I can't recommend it as a worthwhile read. I finished it, hoping it would somehow redeem itself. but alas......uh uh.
Jean Kathy
Very good book! I have read the prequel "A Game of Proof" as well. I am currently reading the last book in the trilogy "Bold Counsel". I would highly recommend reading all 3. What makes them fascinating to me is they are based on the justice system in England.
Mary
Sep 03, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
I thought it dragged a little in the middle, but it picked up again at the end. Overall it was a pretty entertaining and twisty legal thriller.
Kerri
Feb 27, 2013 Kerri rated it it was ok
I wanted to rate this higher. The story could have been great, but it so dragged out that I found myself repeatedly getting bored. Too many side story lines that didn't tie into the main story.
Clark
Oct 27, 2015 Clark rated it really liked it
I really enjoy reading the Sarah Newby series and will be reading #3 very soon. Tim Vickers' novels are very well written and the plots are both interesting and cleverly thought out.
Huluriasquias
Jun 24, 2013 Huluriasquias rated it it was amazing
This one is even better than the first of the series. Well defined characters, tight plot, and interesting subject matter. Another winner.
Liane
Jul 09, 2012 Liane rated it it was amazing
Superb! I just couldn't put this one down - read in under 24 hours which is a pretty mean feat for me
  • Ascension Day
  • What Happened To Polly
  • Cross Roads
  • Vigilante (Vigilante, #1)
  • Hope Road
  • All for One
  • Jim Knighthorse Series: All Three Books
  • Terminal Ambition, A Maggie Mahoney Novel
  • Silver Justice
  • Mass Murder (Giorgio Salvatori, #1)
  • No Time To Run (Michael Collins)
  • Chasing Innocence
  • Dead Man's Hand
  • Heaven's Rage
  • Plummet
  • Capable of Murder (Belinda Lawrence Murder Mystery, #1)
  • Crescent City Kill (Skip Langdon, #7)
  • Tollesbury Time Forever
Tim Vicary is an author and a recently retired university teacher from the university of York, England. His legal thrillers about a tough British barrister, Sarah Newby, have been compared to the works of John Grisham and Scott Turow. The second book in the series, A Fatal Verdict, was awarded a B.R.A.G Medallion for an outstanding independent novel, and the third book, Bold Counsel, was awarded t ...more
More about Tim Vicary...

The Trials of Sarah Newby (4 books)
  • A Game of Proof
  • Nobody's Slave
  • Broken Alibi: Lies, Memory and Justice (The Trials of Sarah Newby, 4)