Start by marking “The Unlikely Secret Agent” as Want to Read:
The Unlikely Secret Agent

The Unlikely Secret Agent

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  61 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Reading like a spy thriller, this biography tells the remarkable story of a young woman’s courage in apartheid-ridden South Africa. As the book opens, in 1963, South Africa is in crisis and the white state is under siege. On August 15, the dreaded security police swoop down on Griggs Bookstore—Durban’s finest literary haunt and a place where African National Congress (ANC) ...more
Published March 1st 2012 by Monthly Review Press (first published November 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Unlikely Secret Agent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unlikely Secret Agent

John
Jun 18, 2012 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story of anti-apartheid hero Eleanor Kasrils is here told with unmatched sensitivity by her widower, the more famous Ronnie Kasrils. This is a great revolutionary love story as well as a great revolutionary story, one that the two of them wanted to tell together, but which Ronnie Kasrils ended up having to do on his own. As a final tribute, it could not be better.

The action focuses on the first year of the Kasrilses' clandestine work for Umkhonto we Sizwe, including their brief participation
Meneesha Govender
Dec 05, 2010 Meneesha Govender rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was meant to be something they did together - write the story of how a young, middle-class, white woman became a secret agent for the liberation movement of South Africa.

"Sadly it has been left to me alone to fulfil that wish," says Ronnie Kasrils.

The story he is talking about is that of his wife, Eleanor Kasrils.

She died in November last year before they could get around to doing it.

So as a tribute to his "darling wife", Ronnie Kasrils set about writing her story of love, courage, sacrifice
Kirsty
Jun 02, 2013 Kirsty added it
Really interesting book. I can't believe Eleanor was only 27 when she did all that. Absolutely amazing! It's so fascinating finding out what people did in their lives. I hope all the stories of people's bravery get published though - not just white people's. There must be so many out there that we just haven't heard about yet. Obviously, all the famous people's lives have been documented - such as Nelson Mandela - but I think it'd be interesting to find out about what the regular people did too. ...more
Megan
Dec 27, 2012 Megan rated it really liked it
Shelves: africa, memoir, historical
This was an interesting topic and a very quick read. It's a short book, and leaves you with her escape complete but wondering about her daughter and how that part of it her story was resolved. The book is written by the main character's husband, and its humorous because he is also a character in the book and so must refer to himself constantly in the third person. Other than that, I finished the book in three days and found it enjoyable enough. I'd give it 3.5 stars.
Paula
Jun 24, 2012 Paula rated it it was ok
I received this book through a Good Reads giveaway. I was a little disappointed. I have no knowledge of politics in 1960's South Africa. in several parts of the book I felt lost, because the author seems to assume that this is a time period and part of the world that the reader is familiar with. Maybe because he lived through these experiences? I would love to read more about Eleanor, but as told by someone else.
Charish
For a person like myself who usually doesn't read biographies or autobiographies, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. As detailed as the story was, it was a very brief glimpse at only a small part of her life. But I however learned far more of struggles I had no really idea about. I had very basic knowledge and to be told more was an interesting and belittling experience.
Kerry
Aug 02, 2013 Kerry rated it liked it
I like reading books about people who stand up for what they believe in, but I like to know more about what motivates them to take risks and make sacrifices. This book definitely unlocked a little mystery for what it was like at the time in South Africa, but left me with a lot of questions all the same.

Tessa
May 06, 2013 Tessa rated it really liked it
Shelves: south-africa, 2013, women
What started out as a simply-told story about white Apartheid-resistance worker Eleanor Kasrils turned into an engaging spy/underground story about a brave woman and an important time in history. It is a fast read and is well-worth reading.
Mckinley
Disappointing! Raises a lot more questions than gives answers about her life. Best bet is to read the appendix which covers more about her work and role in creating cells for the African National Congress.
David Smith
Apr 09, 2012 David Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful is a word that comes to mind. Individuals make a difference and this is the story of an extraordinary South African.
Virginia
Apr 03, 2013 Virginia rated it it was amazing
Real page-turner! Riveting story, and easy to read.
Jozanne
Jozanne marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Nzingha
Nzingha marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Ahmed Chicktay
Ahmed Chicktay rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Terry Morris
Terry Morris rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Gitte
Gitte marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Merete Aasen
Merete Aasen marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Luanne
Luanne marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Kristal
Kristal marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Leigh
Leigh marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Emma Dargue
Emma Dargue marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Anndee
Anndee is currently reading it
Oct 01, 2015
Abbie Stoner
Abbie Stoner rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2015
Richard Gaeta
Richard Gaeta marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
M. C.
M. C. added it
Jun 27, 2015
qtasha
qtasha marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Hoyadaisy
Hoyadaisy marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Sibusiso Dlomo
Sibusiso Dlomo marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Shirley, Goodness & Mercy: A Childhood in Africa
  • The Mirror at Midnight: A South African Journey
  • Like Clockwork (Clare Hart, #1)
  • Down Second Avenue: Growing Up in a South African Ghetto
  • Sometimes there is a Void – Memoirs of an Outsider
  • 117 Days: An Account of Confinement and Interrogation Under the South African 90-Day Detention Law
  • Endings and beginnings
  • A Human Being Died That Night: A South African Woman Confronts the Legacy of Apartheid
  • The Lion Sleeps Tonight