Start by marking “Kiisu-Kiisu” as Want to Read:
Kiisu-Kiisu

Kiisu-Kiisu

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  5,550 Ratings  ·  352 Reviews
In these wickedly anarchic stories, Dahl explores the dark, sinister side of the psyche: the cunning, sly, selfish part of human nature that makes for unexpected outcomes and horrifying conclusions.
Published 2010 by Draakon & Kuu (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Kiisu-Kiisu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kiisu-Kiisu

Melki
Looking for some deviously funny cautionary tales riddled with delightfully diabolical twists?

Well, here be eleven goodies to amuse and entertain you.

You will learn to beware of old ladies bearing tea, to be kind to your wife or she will totally screw up your afterlife, to never bilk idiots and that meat really is murder.

Dahl is a superb writer. I had no idea where some of these stories were going until the last paragraph. With others, I predicted the ending, but read eagerly to find out if I w
Nandakishore Varma
I don't remember exactly when I encountered Roald Dahl - perhaps in my pre-teens. But I sure remember I did not encounter him in any story "appropriate" for children. "The Veld" (not included here) and "Pig" (included) are two stories I remember vividly from those days - both delightfully creepy, yet weirder than the standard fare you get from horror-story writers.

This delightful little collection contains creepy gems such as "The Landlady", "Pig", "Georgy Porgy" and "Royal Jelly"; "William and
Caroline
May 28, 2007 Caroline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though this books of Dahl's short stories is missing some of my favorites (like the one about the eavesdropping card-playing couples and the one with the frozen leg of lamb), it has many of Dahl's best. From a father who feeds his baby enormous quantities of royal jelly, to a nervous hyper-punctual housewife who exacts a seemingly innocent revenge on her passive aggressive husband, these stories are twisted, surprising and never overdone. The stories have just the sort of Professor Plum, crackli ...more
Gabrielle
Human nature's dark side is not pretty. Lies, greed, violent impulses… In this collection of short stories, Roald Dahl tells us how the world sometimes exacts delicious revenge on people in the most grotesque ways…

I only knew Dahl through his children's books, "The Witches" being one of my own childhood favorites. My colleague Caroline adores his short stories and she kindly lent me her copy of "Kiss Kiss", that I devoured over a few lunch breaks. The dark humour, acid tongue and unsettling mind
Nicola
Jul 16, 2010 Nicola rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Roald Dahl is, needless to say, best known as the author of books for children. This collection of short stories is easy on the whizzpopping, frumpets, and strawbunkies, but his subtly sinister grown-up world is equally enthralling.

The beauty of Dahl's short stories is his innate talent for saying the most when he says nothing at all. Massive chunks of story line are told through every ellipsis, of which there are many. Rather than telling you exactly what is happening, Dahl creates the setting,
Maria
I had higer hopes for this book As i really enjoyed Dahls Switch Bitch which is another one of his books written for an older audience. Im sad to Say it really didnt work for mé. I think out of the shortstories in this book i only really liked "the landlady" and " pig". There was Nothing in particular Wrong with the stories they just werent anything special.
May
So far, so good. Definitely not your conventional love stories-I'm on the third or fourth short story and at least four people have died so far. I feel like he has a lot to say about gender and power dynamics in marriage, but I think a lot of these marriages presented are more reflective of the times, when a wife was more of a housekeeper than a lover to the husband, and so it is only natural that she relishes in manipulating men when given the chance. I'll write more when I'm feeling more eloqu ...more
PurplyCookie
Apr 12, 2009 PurplyCookie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
There's a quiet zaniness that runs through the lot of these stories. Most of them are crisp, surprising and smoothly written at every turn. Dahl-licious one might say.

The Landlady >> "There is nothing more tantalizing than a thing which lingers just outside the borders of one's memory." A teenage boy finds himself assigned to Bath and decided to check into a Bed & Breakfast where he was welcomed by a nice (even if slightly dotty) old woman. He starts to wonder why no one else has
JoJo
Jul 14, 2015 JoJo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 2.5/5

This is my first 'adult' Roald Dahl, I've never read any of his books of short stories.

My faves were Parson's Pleasure and Mrs. Bixby and the Colonel's Coat.

Some of the stories I didn't like, and one I just didn't get the ending, but some were quite amusing. I also liked how it kept you guessing til the end (well, for me anyway)
Lori Cooper
May 02, 2015 Lori Cooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book at a thrift store for a quarter. Love the quirky and imaginative stories in this book. I especially like this particular edition because on the back cover jacket is a picture of him and Patricia Neal, a native Tennessean! What a beauty she was! I love her in "The Day the Earth Stood Still."
Pallavi Dhakal
Jul 12, 2012 Pallavi Dhakal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the short stories! Roald Dahl swept me off my feet with his sinister, creepy, twisted stories.
Cormac Healy
Aug 04, 2015 Cormac Healy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A hugely enjoyable selection of short stories.

Like most people I have read several (and when I say several I mean a lot) of Roald Dahl's books for younger readers and remember thoroughly enjoying them. I also remember back in my high school days reading "The Landlady" from this selection and thoroughly enjoying it so it was with great excitement that I got stuck into this collection.

There is a large variety in the type of story here (with a general theme of some sort of twist in each story), wi
Bruno Espadana
Dark, macabre and incredibly funny. I knew some of Dahl's children's books, but had never read any of his other work, so "Kiss Kiss" was a great surprise. I loved everything about the stories, but especially the black zany humour that Dahl so perfectly masters. A great collection, and I will definitely go back for more.
Juli
Dec 27, 2015 Juli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't often like short stories because I feel like I never get to care for the characters or what happens, but these stories aren't meant for one to care, they're funny and mysterious and awesome. Each and every one seems normal up to a point when everything changes and they're suddenly not. Wonderfully creative and entertaining, Dahl doesn't disappoint in this one.
Nick
Jul 24, 2016 Nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd read these before, a long time ago, but they were all brilliant short stories to read again. Dahl was a legend.
Anna Walden
some of them where really good (william and mary and the landlady) but others i didn't find as intriguing.
Izlinda
Jun 03, 2008 Izlinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Roald Dahl fans
This is collection of some of Roald Dahl's short stories I bought several years ago while visiting a friend in Switzerland but never managed to complete.

The back states:
"ELEVEN DEVIOUS, SHOCKING STORIES FROM THE MASTER OF THE UNPREDICTABLE

What could go wrong when a wife pawns the mink coat that her lover gave her as a parting gift? What happens when a priceless piece of furniture is the subject of a deceitful bargain? Can a wronged woman take revenge on her dead husband?

In these dark, dangerous
Dani (The Pluviophile Reader)
Full review at The Pluviophile Reader: http://wp.me/p3VFNP-23

3/5 stars.
ebook, 240 pages.
Read from December 09 to 16, 2013.

Even as an adult this man's writing continues to captivate me. However, with this adult collaboration Dahl has emphasised the disturbing in a less than friendly fashion by having the central theme of these stories be completely about how awful adults are to each other. So take the quirkiness of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the despicable characters in The Twits and t
Shayan Kh
Dec 23, 2016 Shayan Kh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow.
This book was a complete surprise for me. I didn't know Dahl writes adult books too. And he does a damn good job of that too.
This collection of short stories was great. They are twisted and dark. I liked them very much.
(view spoiler)
Sash Uusjärv
Jan 07, 2013 Sash Uusjärv rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kas te teadsite, et Alfred Hitchcocki poolt kuulsaks filmitud ja hiljem Quentin Tarantino poolt filmis “Neli tuba” lausa kultuslikuks põlistatud lugu mehest, kes välgumihkli süttimise ja sõrmede maharaiumise peale kihla veab, on kirjutanud tuntud lastekirjanik Roald Dahl?
Jah. Kuigi Eesti lugejale on Roald Dahl senini olnud kindlasti rohkem tuntud kui suurepärane lastekirjanik, on tõeliselt tänuväärne, et nüüd on lugejani jõudnud ka esimene valimik Dahli täiskasvanutele kirjutatud jubejutte – nee
Laala Alghata
Aug 14, 2010 Laala Alghata rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kiss Kiss is a collection of short stories. Roald Dahl actually wrote quite a lot of them, although they tend to be overshadowed by his children’s novels. I am one of the biggest Dahl fans there is, the man was one of the best children’s writers the world has ever seen. The only thing I’ve read by him (apart from his entire catalogue of children’s books) is his autobiography, Boy and Going Solo, both of which I absolutely loved.

I bought this a couple of years ago, and I’m not sure why, but it re
Christina Tang-Bernas
While browsing Gecko Books in Chiang Mai, Thailand, I stumbled upon Kiss Kiss by one of my very favorite authors. I had never seen a short story collection catering to adults by Roald Dahl before and so knew I had to have it for my personal collection, regardless if I didn't end up enjoying it. When writing short stories, it's imperative to read short stories, especially by writers I admire. Immediately upon starting it, I could already see Mr. Dahl's personal style come through in the way he de ...more
Kevin
Oct 13, 2015 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this collection of stories. I had read some of Dahl's work, but only the children's stories in elementary and/or middle school. I was completely unaware that he had written adult fiction until I stumbled upon his name on the reading list at the end of Stephen King's Danse Macabre.

Most of the stories in Kiss Kiss read like modern day fables. There are characters behaving badly that receive a punishment uniquely suited to their crime. (view spoiler)
Barb
Jul 23, 2016 Barb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had recently heard about adult stories writted by Dahl and was intrigued because I rather love his children's books. I was not disappointed! My library only had this option, a collection of short stories, so I chose it and set it down. I had just started another book "Girl with a Pearl Earring," and felt I should finish it first. This little book, though, kept calling me! So I set the other book aside and basically ate this book. I don't think it took me five days to read it. I carried it ever ...more
Feerena
Jul 25, 2011 Feerena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es gefällt!
Roald Dahl (ich bin der Meinung, dem Mann fehlt eindeutig ein "n") hat schon einen fiesen Humor. Es ist anstrengend, die Geschichten anzufangen, weil die erste Seite immer etwas träge daher kommt; doch bereits nach der ersten Story weiß man, wieso man es gelesen hat. Als Leser kann man sich da manchmal nur geschockt die Hand vor den Mund halten oder insgeheim schadenfroh in sich hineinlachen.
Für Erstleser ist das Buch mittelgut aufgebaut: Die Geschichten fangen stark an und werden zum
Halida
Jun 26, 2012 Halida rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roald Dahl is, undisputably, a great writer. It's nearly impossible to feel bored when reading his work, be it his memoir, children book, or adult short story. And Kiss Kiss just showed me another side of his writings.
I didn't look for the synopsis when I downloaded it, so knowing that it contains a story titled "William and Mary" I just thought that it would be a romantic anthology. Boy, was I wrong! The first story, "The Landlady", felt like an Edgar Allan Poe. Reading the next stories, "Willi
Ape
Mar 01, 2015 Ape rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Marvellous collection of macabre and twisted short stories, very clever, and often where people get their just desserts in slightly amusing ways. And sometimes undeserving people come to a sticky end. But it's all good =) I can't think whether I've ever read any Dahl short stories before, but I will have to keep an eye open for other volumes of books.

As with any collection of short stories, there are some you like more than others, but with this collection I can't say there were any that I read
Kirsty
May 22, 2016 Kirsty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, kindle, read-in-2016
This is a collection of adult short stories by Roald Dahl, and is the second adult collection I have read by him, the first being Someone Like You. I enjoyed this one much more and found it a much more entertaining and darker read.

As with any short story collection, there were some stories I loved and others that struggled to capture my attention. For the most part there were definitely more that I enjoyed than didn't though, and of those that I did like, I would say I actually loved the vast ma
Rogue Wilson
Jun 28, 2013 Rogue Wilson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh no, Roald Dahl is ruined for me. I can’t believe I had no idea until two volumes of his adult short stories were loaned to me what an odious man he was and this is absolutely apparent in his stories (I don’t think I’ll even be able to read his children’s fiction in the same way again either). I read online Dahl was “an unhappy and bullied little boy, in adulthood he longed for the kind of dominance he never achieved as a child. Even from his earliest days, he was a hateful little fuck” – and ...more
Roystan Ang
Jul 17, 2013 Roystan Ang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only reason I'm giving this a 4-star rating instead of 5 is because there were 1 or 2 stories which instead of genuinely giving me shivers down my spine, made me go "What the hell did I just read?", meaning that these stories didn't really impress me in terms of their imaginative and vividly sinister quality, and in my opinion, Dahl's utilisation of the shock factor in these cases was too crude.

Stories which I didn't really enjoy:

- Royal Jelly
- Georgy Porgy

Absolutely fantastic stories (the
Which story is your favourite? And please tell me why. 3 19 Apr 16, 2017 11:48AM
Kiss Kiss 6 34 Jan 05, 2015 11:41PM
  • Legends of Charlemagne
  • Great Detectives: A Century of the Best Mysteries from England and America
  • Alfred Hitchcock's Ghostly Gallery
  • Comrade Loves of the Samurai
  • After Dark (Silver John, #2)
  • Women and Ghosts: Tales