Start by marking “Snow White Sorrow (The Grimm Diaries, #1)” as Want to Read:
Snow White Sorrow (The Grimm Diaries, #1)

Snow White Sorrow (The Grimm Diaries #1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  1,537 ratings  ·  225 reviews
What if all you knew about fairy tales was wrong?

Sixteen year old Loki Blackstar is no Prince Charming. His mother is a ghost. His only friend is a red Cadillac that sings to him through the radio. He looks like an Angel but acts like jerk. No wonder he has been banned from Heaven, which is the least of his troubles. Loki needs a job to pay for school and support himself.

S
Published May 30th 2013 by J A W I G I

Maybe Someday by Colleen HooverSoulless by Gail CarrigerThe Darkest Minds by Alexandra BrackenThe Immortal Rules by Julie KagawaShadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
Kéž by vyšlo v ČR, verze 2015
21st out of 354 books — 543 voters
Clockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareUnravel Me by Tahereh MafiThe Elite by Kiera CassEverbound by Brodi AshtonBoundless by Cynthia Hand
Beautiful Book Covers of 2013
122nd out of 579 books — 2,028 voters

More lists with this book...

oceana
Jun 25, 2013 oceana marked it as to-read
This is the synopsis vs other books. I'm not commenting on the content of the book; simply pointing out the similarities of the blurb, so take your little rant elsewhere, please.

SNOW WHITE SORROW: He looks like an Angel but acts like jerk [...] He is a Dreamhunter [...]

CITY OF BONES: It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk.

SNOW WHITE SORROW: When Loki is sent to kill a sixteen-year-old vampire girl the locals call Snow
Kat (Lost in Neverland)
Jun 26, 2013 Kat (Lost in Neverland) marked it as to-read

Sixteen year old Loki Blackstar is no prince charming.

Loki Blackstar. Loki. Blackstar. Loki and Black Star.

description

Here's what I think of when I hear Loki Blackstar.

Loki

and

Black Star

Result:

Danielle
Jan 10, 2013 Danielle marked it as to-read
Obviously none of you have read his short story prequels which is based on the Grimm fairy tales. These are retellings of fairytales and the world Cameron Jace created is nothing like Mortal Instruments or any other novel mentioned . I do not see how the covers are similar. Read his short stories and you will have a better understanding.
Ai Haibara
Me reading the blurb:

And here's why:
Loki has a rare gift: He is a Dreamhunter. One of the few in the world who can hunt and kill immortal demons in their dreams so they never wake up again.

The real Snow White...is a beautiful monster girl filled with rage and hurt, who has an epic untold story ...Snow White has killed every person who has dared come near the castle where she once lived with the queen. Mysteriously, she lets Loki live.

description

Of course she lets him live! How else are they going to have e
Natasha
How in the hell can you people leave a review for a book you haven't even read? Judging by some of your idiotic reviews, most of you haven't even read the prequels. This book hasn't even fully been released yet but I won an early copy of it in exchange for a review. I suck at giving great reviews, so here's my input.

The anticipation leading up to this book has been worth it. You're coming into this book when most of the fairy tale characters don't know who they really are at this point, although
I'm Booked
My name is Jen, but for the remainder of this review feel free to just think of me as the voice of reason. Snow White Sorrow has a lot of inexplicably good reviews, which is why I'm taking the time to share my honest assessment of this book; In my opinion, it just *might* be The Worst Book I've ever had the misfortune to read and if I can spare just one soul the torture that I experienced while reading this book then I'll consider writing this review time well spent.

If writing is a labor of love
Mar 26, 2015 Sarah marked it as to-read
Sat
It does sound like Anna Dressed in Blood but except for the blurb, they're nothing alike. Snow White Sorrow is an interesting take on the classic fairy tale, Snow White. I love everything about the magical world Cameron Jace has spun. It's whimsical, goofy and romantic. I love the characters, even the small ones. Georgie Porgie, Skeliman the Ferryman (sometimes the Libraryman), that vampire in Forks who was killed by Loki but was resurrected and "appears in the twilights", they cracked me up. Lo ...more
Katherine
I absolutely LOVED LOVED this book. I have never read Anna Dressed in Blood however I have read City f Bones and I can assure you that I found no similarities whatsoever. I was hesitant to get this book because of how people were saying its not original. Trust me, It is VERY original and Jace does a wonderful job of making this story his own. I am so happy I downloaded Cameron Jace's story and you will be too. If you have time....GO READ THIS!! :)
Kimberley doruyter
there are no strong enough to say how amazing this book is.
if i could i'd give it a 100 stars.
zapkode.marie
{my thoughts} - The main character in this book is Loki Blackstar. He is a half – angel that has been banned from heaven. He is a fascinating character because he is brought back to the ordinary world after being shadowed and left with no recollection of who he is or his past. His main goal throughout the book is to kill vampires in order to be accepted back into heaven which he has been lead to believe is his home. However, when he is unable to meet the quota of ninety-nine dead vampires by his ...more
Jackie
May 06, 2012 Jackie marked it as to-read
The synopsis has a stunning resemblance to Anna Dressed In Blood and the cover reminds me a lot like the cover templates of the Mortal Instruments series ( particularly City of Lost Souls ). Even the author's last name is an uncanny resemblance to Jace Wayland. ( coincidental much? ) But I am super excited to read this one anyway!
Barbora
Píše se rok 2012 a do města Sorrow přijíždí skoro šestnáctiletý kluk Loki Blackstar najatý, aby zabil jednu upírku. Má však dva problémy: dostal na to jen týden času a druhý, vážnější, má strach, že by se do té nestvůrné dívky mohl zamilovat, protože už se to prý jednou stalo. Tak začíná příběh o tom, že pohádky nejsou vždy šťastné a veselé a že sny mají velkou moc. Jak z pohledu snílka, tak z pohledu toho, kdo spícího upíra zabil.

Jsou místa, která jsou upřímně dobrá a jsou místa, která jsou ta
Tina
4 Stars!

A lovely read! I'll admit I kinda hated it in the beginning because I thought the humor/quirks in the beginning were a little too childish for me (like Loki's inability to resist saving squirrels), but Cameron Jace's storytelling was too good to pass up.

I may be a bit biased since I'm such a sucker for fairy tales (especially Snow White!) whether they're Disney versions or the original. Though I wasn't a huge fan in the beginning, I slowly warmed up to the story as it progressed. Some sc
Sudichka
Jun 18, 2013 Sudichka marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: ADIB and COB fans -.-
Anna Dressed in blood + City of Bones. Copy much?

Anna Dressed in Blood: A murderous ghost of a girl filled with rage and fury. And for whatever reason, she spares his life.

Snow White Sorrow: A monster girl filled with rage and hurt. Mysteriously, she lets Loki live.

And Loki looks like an Angel but acts like a jerk. City of Bones?

I mean, I won't judge straight away though. Maybe the book isn't as it seems? Maybe its nothing like Anna dressed in blood or City of Bones?
I'll then only write a suitab
Susan ...so many books and so little time
....ok...there are many good things about this book...but there are things that I really didn't like...one being the main character...Loki. I, just for some reason could not get drawn to him...it was very hard to finish this book...because I just did not care about him. I loved the writing style...and the many characters popping up...but I just could not fall in love with Loki and his story...
Sophie
Jun 19, 2012 Sophie marked it as just-no
Similarities to Anna aside...
"He looks like an Angel but acts like jerk."
Coincidence of all coincidences, look what I found in the blurb for City of Bones!
"It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk."

There is something drastically wrong with books that are published even with such blatant copying.
Judy
May 03, 2012 Judy marked it as to-read
This synopsis sounds a lot like Anna Dressed in Blood.
Lorelie
All monsters must die except the BEAUTIFUL ones

First of all, I have to tell you guys that this is no City of Bones related or Anna Dressed in Blood(well I haven't read that book so I can't say much)But to those who compares Loki to Jace, I'm telling you you're all wrong. I mean, SERIOUSLY?!?Okay here are some things to prove that I'm right:

1. Loki has a soft spot for squirrels while Jace on the other hand does not
2. Loki is not a jerk.Well, yeah they both look like an angel but Loki is not a jer
Samantha Arias
I absolutely LOVED the prequel to this book. I was super excited to read the real thing. I dove right into it and came up entirely confused. It is not the same book as in the prequel. The prequel is dark and mysterious and a bit horror sounding. You get to the book and it's a bit childish sounding. I knew it was probably going to be a young adult novel but I thought from the prequel that it would be more on the adult side. Boy was I wrong. It's definitely more for a younger crowd. And the preque ...more
Kim
What the hell?
I'm going to read this just for fun and for the hell of it.

I mean, it's not often you get a book trying to smash 2 books into 1.
...
Well. There are.
But not so obviously. And from the bunch of other amazing reviewers, you can tell which smashing it is. Actually, you can read the blurb and tell which 2 books it is, if you're on top of your bookish game.

And who the hell nicknames their monsters Snow White Sorrow?
How did that nickname even come about?
"She did it to me!"
"Who?!"
"The be
Z Lee
May 11, 2012 Z Lee marked it as to-read
Shelves: favorites
Although I am biased toward Snow White and the Huntsman movie, when I first read about this book I was like:

[image error]

Because since Neil Gaiman's short story Snow, Glass, Apples, I wished someone would write a long book about what if Snow White was a vampire. Yeah.

description

then it suddenly hit me that this could be like this:

please make it like the above. I would love it. can't wait to read it
btw it's my first review trying to add animated images. I 've done it yay.
Marie
Awesome Book

I like it and I enjoy it.
I like the fact that Snow White is a vampire is a cool twist to the story.

Loki
He is cool and I like him, Oh YEAH!

I'll just comment one thing I didn't like...
The boogie man really?
What the hell has to do the boogie man with fairy tales?
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
A friend recommended this to me recently and I see I've already apparently had it on my to-read shelf for a while ... Hmm. Anyway, I'm a bit skeptical because I see very mixed reviews on it. Also the blurb's almost word-for-word similarity to those of City of Bones and Anna Dressed in Blood is rather cringe-worthy.

I might give it a try anyway, though.
Cas
Mar 31, 2015 Cas marked it as dnf
35%

Plainly put, I was bored. Very bored. That said, the concept still holds a little of my attention, so there may be a time in which I'll come back to this novel.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm hoping this book is good...but what comes to mind is The Mortal Instruments due to the cover. Also, "dream-hunter" reminds me plenty of S. Kenyon's series of the same name and the synopsis runs too similar of Anna Dressed in Blood.

Well, I'm still going to
Gulen
A long awaited book after reading all those prequels:D At first it was hard for me to concentrate on the story and Loki was not exactly as i expected. However the story was picked up after 25 % of the book has passed and the ending was beautiful.

So it is a wonderful first book and i need more; so write write like the wind Mr Jace:)

Donna Bossert
unfriggn real!!!! this book will blow all those little singing blue birds outta the air!!! snow white is a vampire, The evil Queen is even more Evil then you thought and the hero is not who you thought. Mr Jace has done it again, he has taken a sweet happy fairy tale and twisted it till its awsome!!! you will not be sorry!!
Melissa Martin
This book is great! The amount of characters in the book that are actually fairy tale characters is awesome. Most of them are easy to figure out :-)

Loki is hilarious. I totally got his character wrong! I didn't figure that one out until the end. It is just the way he acted and his sense of humor that threw me off.

I was not expected this kind of book. I thought it was going to be something totally different. I don't why, as the author has a tendency to throw you for a loop.

I love Snow White in
Anna
Charle Bachmann
Snow White: YES! I LIKE LIKE LIKE!!!

Vampires: *sparkle coming to mind* Euhhrrgh...

Loki Blackstar. I think someone pointed this out already, but, for good measure, I HAVE to add my bit in.

LOKI. BLACK. STAR.

I think I just went to book heaven. Soul Eater name combined with a Fairytail name? I don't even care if Snow White sparkles to see THAT written in a book. And no matter how similar the cover may be to that of another sitting on my lovely bookshelf right now, I quite like the sight of it. Not j
YA Buddy Readers'...: Snow White Sorrow by Cameron Jace - Starting 18th April 2015 4 8 Apr 19, 2015 01:14PM
I hope this dosen't suck -_- 14 63 Apr 09, 2014 06:07AM
Book Addicts Unite!: ~September~ 1 2 Sep 04, 2013 06:51PM
YA & TEENS BO...: SNOW WHITE SORROW GIVEAWAY 1 8 Jun 08, 2013 03:24PM
My Vampire Book O...: SNOW WHITE SORROW GIVEAWAY 1 8 Jun 08, 2013 03:21PM
Wild Things: YA G...: SNOW WHITE SORROW GIVEAWAY 1 2 Jun 08, 2013 03:21PM
Kids/Teens Book Club: SNOW WHITE SORROW GIVEAWAY 1 10 Jun 08, 2013 03:21PM
  • My Name Is Rapunzel
  • Shards of the Glass Slipper: Queen Cinder (Shards of the Glass Slipper, #1)
  • Cold Spell (Fairytale Retellings, #4)
  • A White So Red
  • Nameless (Tales of Beauty & Madness, #1)
  • Rapunzel Untangled
  • The Curse Girl
  • Pretty Dark Nothing (Pretty Dark Nothing, #1)
  • Prey and Magic (Blood and Snow #5)
  • Beauty
  • The Fairest of Them All
  • Two and Twenty Dark Tales: Dark Retellings of Mother Goose Rhymes
  • After Dark (The 19th Year, #1)
  • Beauty and the Beast (Faerie Tale Collection, #1)
  • Stone Prison (Twisted Tales, #1)
  • Scarlette
  • Through Your Eyes ( I Am Alive book 1 Episode #3 )
  • Ashes and Ice (Ashes and Ice, #1)
Cameron Jace is bestselling author of the Grimm Diaries and Insanity series. A graduate of the college of Architecture, collector of out-of-print books, and obsessed with the origins of folk tales and the mysterious storytellers who spread them. Three of his books made Amazon's Top 100 Customer Favorites in Kindle 2013 & Amazon's Top 100 kindle list. Cameron lives in California with his girlfr ...more
More about Cameron Jace...

The Grimm Diaries (3 books)
  • Cinderella Dressed in Ashes (The Grimm Diaries, #2)
  • Blood, Milk, and Chocolate - Part One (The Grimm Diaries, #3)
Snow White Blood Red (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #1) Grimm Diaries Prequels: Snow White Blood Red, Ashes to Ashes & Cinder to Cinder, Beauty Never Dies, Ladle Rat Rotten Hut, Mary Mary Quite Contrary, Blood Apples (The Grimm Diaries Prequels #1- #6) Ashes to Ashes and Cinder to Cinder  (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #2) Beauty Never Dies (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #3) Ladle Rat Rotten Hut (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #4)

“Stare at the dark too long and you will eventually see what isn’t there.” 55 likes
“All monsters must die except the beautiful ones” 49 likes