Start by marking “Snow White Sorrow (The Grimm Diaries, #1)” as Want to Read:
Snow White Sorrow (The Grimm Diaries, #1)

Snow White Sorrow (The Grimm Diaries #1)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  1,150 ratings  ·  195 reviews
What if all you knew about fairy tales was wrong?

Sixteen year old Loki Blackstar is no Prince Charming. His mother is a ghost. His only friend is a red Cadillac that sings to him through the radio. He looks like an Angel but acts like jerk. No wonder he has been banned from Heaven, which is the least of his troubles. Loki needs a job to pay for school and support himself.

S...more
Published May 30th 2013 by J A W I G I

To ask other readers questions about Snow White Sorrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snow White Sorrow

Clockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareUnravel Me by Tahereh MafiThe Elite by Kiera CassEverbound by Brodi AshtonBoundless by Cynthia Hand
Beautiful Book Covers of 2013
125th out of 565 books — 1,993 voters
Beastly by Alex FlinnSnow White & the Huntsman by Lily BlakeCinder by Marissa MeyerElla Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineMy Name Is Rapunzel by K.C. Hilton
Snow White and the Huntsman
6th out of 68 books — 79 voters

More lists with this book...

oceana
Jun 25, 2013 oceana marked it as to-read
This is the synopsis vs other books. I'm not commenting on the content of the book; simply pointing out the similarities of the blurb, so take your little rant elsewhere, please.

SNOW WHITE SORROW: He looks like an Angel but acts like jerk [...] He is a Dreamhunter [...]

CITY OF BONES: It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk.

SNOW WHITE SORROW: When Loki is sent to kill a sixteen-year-old vampire girl the locals call Snow...more
Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur)
Jun 26, 2013 Kat (Le Pauvre Cœur) marked it as to-read

Sixteen year old Loki Blackstar is no prince charming.

Loki Blackstar. Loki. Blackstar. Loki and Black Star.

description

Here's what I think of when I hear Loki Blackstar.

Loki

and

Black Star

Result:

Danielle
Jan 10, 2013 Danielle marked it as to-read
Obviously none of you have read his short story prequels which is based on the Grimm fairy tales. These are retellings of fairytales and the world Cameron Jace created is nothing like Mortal Instruments or any other novel mentioned . I do not see how the covers are similar. Read his short stories and you will have a better understanding.
Ai Haibara
Me reading the blurb:

And here's why:
Loki has a rare gift: He is a Dreamhunter. One of the few in the world who can hunt and kill immortal demons in their dreams so they never wake up again.

The real Snow White...is a beautiful monster girl filled with rage and hurt, who has an epic untold story ...Snow White has killed every person who has dared come near the castle where she once lived with the queen. Mysteriously, she lets Loki live.

description

Of course she lets him live! How else are they going to have e...more
Natasha
How in the hell can you people leave a review for a book you haven't even read? Judging by some of your idiotic reviews, most of you haven't even read the prequels. This book hasn't even fully been released yet but I won an early copy of it in exchange for a review. I suck at giving great reviews, so here's my input.

The anticipation leading up to this book has been worth it. You're coming into this book when most of the fairy tale characters don't know who they really are at this point, although...more
Sat
It does sound like Anna Dressed in Blood but except for the blurb, they're nothing alike. Snow White Sorrow is an interesting take on the classic fairy tale, Snow White. I love everything about the magical world Cameron Jace has spun. It's whimsical, goofy and romantic. I love the characters, even the small ones. Georgie Porgie, Skeliman the Ferryman (sometimes the Libraryman), that vampire in Forks who was killed by Loki but was resurrected and "appears in the twilights", they cracked me up. Lo...more
Katherine
I absolutely LOVED LOVED this book. I have never read Anna Dressed in Blood however I have read City f Bones and I can assure you that I found no similarities whatsoever. I was hesitant to get this book because of how people were saying its not original. Trust me, It is VERY original and Jace does a wonderful job of making this story his own. I am so happy I downloaded Cameron Jace's story and you will be too. If you have time....GO READ THIS!! :)
zapkode.marie
{my thoughts} - The main character in this book is Loki Blackstar. He is a half – angel that has been banned from heaven. He is a fascinating character because he is brought back to the ordinary world after being shadowed and left with no recollection of who he is or his past. His main goal throughout the book is to kill vampires in order to be accepted back into heaven which he has been lead to believe is his home. However, when he is unable to meet the quota of ninety-nine dead vampires by his...more
Jackie
May 06, 2012 Jackie marked it as to-read
The synopsis has a stunning resemblance to Anna Dressed In Blood and the cover reminds me a lot like the cover templates of the Mortal Instruments series ( particularly City of Lost Souls ). Even the author's last name is an uncanny resemblance to Jace Wayland. ( coincidental much? ) But I am super excited to read this one anyway!
I'm Booked
My name is Jen, but for the remainder of this review feel free to just think of me as the voice of reason. Snow White Sorrow has a lot of inexplicably good reviews, which is why I'm taking the time to share my honest assessment of this book; In my opinion, it just *might* be The Worst Book I've ever had the misfortune to read and if I can spare just one soul the torture that I experienced while reading this book then I'll consider writing this review time well spent.

If writing is a labor of love...more
Sudichka
Jun 18, 2013 Sudichka marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: ADIB and COB fans -.-
Anna Dressed in blood + City of Bones. Copy much?

Anna Dressed in Blood: A murderous ghost of a girl filled with rage and fury. And for whatever reason, she spares his life.

Snow White Sorrow: A monster girl filled with rage and hurt. Mysteriously, she lets Loki live.

And Loki looks like an Angel but acts like a jerk. City of Bones?

I mean, I won't judge straight away though. Maybe the book isn't as it seems? Maybe its nothing like Anna dressed in blood or City of Bones?
I'll then only write a suitab...more
Sophie
Jun 19, 2012 Sophie marked it as just-no
Similarities to Anna aside...
"He looks like an Angel but acts like jerk."
Coincidence of all coincidences, look what I found in the blurb for City of Bones!
"It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk."

There is something drastically wrong with books that are published even with such blatant copying.
Judy
May 03, 2012 Judy marked it as to-read
This synopsis sounds a lot like Anna Dressed in Blood.
Tina
4 Stars!

A lovely read! I'll admit I kinda hated it in the beginning because I thought the humor/quirks in the beginning were a little too childish for me (like Loki's inability to resist saving squirrels), but Cameron Jace's storytelling was too good to pass up.

I may be a bit biased since I'm such a sucker for fairy tales (especially Snow White!) whether they're Disney versions or the original. Though I wasn't a huge fan in the beginning, I slowly warmed up to the story as it progressed. Some sc...more
Lorelie
All monsters must die except the BEAUTIFUL ones

First of all, I have to tell you guys that this is no City of Bones related or Anna Dressed in Blood(well I haven't read that book so I can't say much)But to those who compares Loki to Jace, I'm telling you you're all wrong. I mean, SERIOUSLY?!?Okay here are some things to prove that I'm right:

1. Loki has a soft spot for squirrels while Jace on the other hand does not
2. Loki is not a jerk.Well, yeah they both look like an angel but Loki is not a jer...more
Samantha Arias
I absolutely LOVED the prequel to this book. I was super excited to read the real thing. I dove right into it and came up entirely confused. It is not the same book as in the prequel. The prequel is dark and mysterious and a bit horror sounding. You get to the book and it's a bit childish sounding. I knew it was probably going to be a young adult novel but I thought from the prequel that it would be more on the adult side. Boy was I wrong. It's definitely more for a younger crowd. And the preque...more
Kim
What the hell?
I'm going to read this just for fun and for the hell of it.

I mean, it's not often you get a book trying to smash 2 books into 1.
...
Well. There are.
But not so obviously. And from the bunch of other amazing reviewers, you can tell which smashing it is. Actually, you can read the blurb and tell which 2 books it is, if you're on top of your bookish game.

And who the hell nicknames their monsters Snow White Sorrow?
How did that nickname even come about?
"She did it to me!"
"Who?!"
"The be...more
Z Lee
May 11, 2012 Z Lee marked it as to-read
Shelves: favorites
Although I am biased toward Snow White and the Huntsman movie, when I first read about this book I was like:

[image error]

Because since Neil Gaiman's short story Snow, Glass, Apples, I wished someone would write a long book about what if Snow White was a vampire. Yeah.

description

then it suddenly hit me that this could be like this:

please make it like the above. I would love it. can't wait to read it
btw it's my first review trying to add animated images. I 've done it yay.
Susan ...so many books and so little time
....ok...there are many good things about this book...but there are things that I really didn't like...one being the main character...Loki. I, just for some reason could not get drawn to him...it was very hard to finish this book...because I just did not care about him. I loved the writing style...and the many characters popping up...but I just could not fall in love with Loki and his story...
Marie
Awesome Book

I like it and I enjoy it.
I like the fact that Snow White is a vampire is a cool twist to the story.

Loki
He is cool and I like him, Oh YEAH!

I'll just comment one thing I didn't like...
The boogie man really?
What the hell has to do the boogie man with fairy tales?
Gulen
A long awaited book after reading all those prequels:D At first it was hard for me to concentrate on the story and Loki was not exactly as i expected. However the story was picked up after 25 % of the book has passed and the ending was beautiful.

So it is a wonderful first book and i need more; so write write like the wind Mr Jace:)

Donna Bossert
unfriggn real!!!! this book will blow all those little singing blue birds outta the air!!! snow white is a vampire, The evil Queen is even more Evil then you thought and the hero is not who you thought. Mr Jace has done it again, he has taken a sweet happy fairy tale and twisted it till its awsome!!! you will not be sorry!!
Charle Bachmann
Snow White: YES! I LIKE LIKE LIKE!!!

Vampires: *sparkle coming to mind* Euhhrrgh...

Loki Blackstar. I think someone pointed this out already, but, for good measure, I HAVE to add my bit in.

LOKI. BLACK. STAR.

I think I just went to book heaven. Soul Eater name combined with a Fairytail name? I don't even care if Snow White sparkles to see THAT written in a book. And no matter how similar the cover may be to that of another sitting on my lovely bookshelf right now, I quite like the sight of it. Not j...more
Sondra
UPDATED REVIEW: As an adult reading a young adult fantasy novel about fairy tales, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this twist on the famous tale of Snow White and the Huntsman. While the book started out in my opinion a little too slow, lagging at times as the main character, Loki, finally arrived in the city of Sorrow, once Snow White appeared the book's pace was fast and a true page turner.

In this first edition there are a few spelling errors and typos; however, don't let tha...more
Monica
This is the story of Loki Blackstar as he struggles to find his place in the worlds, life and to recover his memory before his 16th birthday. Loki is a vampire/dream hunter who is hired to kill Snow White, a vampire. Along the way, he learns much about himself, those around him, local history, etc.

The font size, line and page spacing change in few places which is rather distracting.

Ultimately, for there are many elements of various world fairy tale variations, various worlds mythologies (partic...more
paperdollmom
This book is one of the most creative fairytale retellings I have read. I love how those creatures in the night have been entwined into the authors world of fairytales. I am a little unsure of the ending, as it seemed abrupt, leaving me with questions and wanting to find out what happens next. I haven't read any of the prequels, so I am not 100% sure if this is just what the author is going for, or if it will be continued, or what? But either way, I loved it all. Even aside from some unanswered...more
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
A friend recommended this to me recently and I see I've already apparently had it on my to-read shelf for a while ... Hmm. Anyway, I'm a bit skeptical because I see very mixed reviews on it. Also the blurb's almost word-for-word similarity to those of City of Bones and Anna Dressed in Blood is rather cringe-worthy.

I might give it a try anyway, though.
Shannan
I took some time to finish this as I kept stopping to talk to the book but that is a good thing. I am a huge fan of Cameron's work and this one definitely did not disappoint me. Anytime I had to put the book down to tend to life, I was counting down to when I could pick it back up... I will also be buying a paperback copy to keep on my shelves when it's available (Wonder if I can send it to him for an autograph? :)
Cas
Oct 06, 2012 Cas marked it as to-read
I'm hoping this book is good.

But first thing that came to mind was The Mortal Instruments due to the cover. And also "dreamhunter".
Then I read the rest of the synopsis...not TMI.
Though, it reminds me of Anna Dressed in Blood too.

Well, I'm still going to read it. Just let it be as good as Anna and please have some originality.
Jennifer Davis ripley
I love this book and the prequels!! I can't wait to see where the story goes from here. XO Cameron, I love how your twisted mind works!!

And for the record - People need to stop comparing it to Mortal Instruments (I have read all of those as well), the story line isn't even close.
~*Bookworms Anony...: SNOW WHITE SORROW GIVEAWAY 1 14 Apr 19, 2014 07:26AM
I hope this dosen't suck -_- 14 61 Apr 09, 2014 06:07AM
Book Addicts Unite!: ~September~ 1 2 Sep 04, 2013 06:51PM
YA & TEENS BO...: SNOW WHITE SORROW GIVEAWAY 1 8 Jun 08, 2013 03:24PM
My Vampire Book O...: SNOW WHITE SORROW GIVEAWAY 1 8 Jun 08, 2013 03:21PM
Wild Things: YA G...: SNOW WHITE SORROW GIVEAWAY 1 2 Jun 08, 2013 03:21PM
Kids/Teens Book Club: SNOW WHITE SORROW GIVEAWAY 1 10 Jun 08, 2013 03:21PM
  • Nameless (Tales of Beauty & Madness, #1)
  • Shards of the Glass Slipper: Queen Cinder (Shards of the Glass Slipper, #1)
  • A White So Red
  • The Fairest of Them All
  • Rapunzel Untangled
  • Falling to Ash (Moth, #1)
  • Cold Spell (Fairytale Retellings, #4)
  • Ashes and Ice (Ashes and Ice, #1)
  • Of Beast and Beauty
  • Sleeping Beauty: Vampire Slayer (Twisted Tales, #2)
  • After Dark (The 19th Year, #1)
  • My Name Is Rapunzel
  • Two and Twenty Dark Tales: Dark Retellings of Mother Goose Rhymes
  • Scarlette
  • Mechanica
  • Kill Me Softly
  • Beauty and the Beast (Faerie Tale Collection, #1)
  • The Gathering Dark
Things you might want to know:
Cameron writes books that he can't find elsewhere, basically to amuse himself. Everything Cameron does is for fun, so don't take him seriously. Never call him a writer. He hates that. He prefers the word: Storyteller, or the boy next door who claims he can tell stories.

If you like his books, horaaaay! He loves ya too. If ya don't, hoooray! Now we know in advance that...more
More about Cameron Jace...
Snow White Blood Red (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #1) Snow White Blood Red, Ashes to Ashes & Cinder to Cinder, Beauty Never Dies, Ladle Rat Rotten Hut, Mary Mary Quite Contrary, Blood Apples (The Grimm Diaries Prequels #1- #6) Ashes to Ashes and Cinder to Cinder  (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #2) Beauty Never Dies (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #3) Ladle Rat Rotten Hut (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #4)

“Stare at the dark too long and you will eventually see what isn’t there.” 49 likes
“All monsters must die except the beautiful ones” 44 likes