Start by marking “Assassin” as Want to Read:
Assassin

Assassin

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  18 reviews
For almost twenty years, war has raged between the mountain kingdom of Thrace and the sea-faring land of Andal, exhausting both nations. Prince Lowan, the educated and debonair second son of the King of Thrace, has arrived to make peace with his father’s enemies. But the price Andal requires for peace is high–too high–and Lowan knows there are many ways to influence a nati ...more
Published March 2012

To ask other readers questions about Assassin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Assassin

Nikki
I adored the way this one strung me along and tricked me. As Iden says in his note at the end, to talk about this in detail is to spoil it. Suffice it to say that in the space of really a short story, Iden had me intrigued, worried, and finally shocked -- all in those good ways you can get with a well-crafted short story.
Rose Cimarron
Jun 23, 2012 Rose Cimarron rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All - especially warmongers
[2012-06-23] Downloaded (thanks Matthew for the six-day giveaway!) and read within the hour.
Fantastic story! Entirely complete (excuse the tautology) and with lots to think about. I also enjoyed reading Matthew's thoughts on the book that are bundled with the story (I would have liked a blank page between to the two, just to allow my mind to close from the story).

Fanatastic word-smithing, superbing plotting and excellently drawn characters in such a short time. A real "find"
Amanda
This was another tightly crafted offering from Mr. Iden. Very enjoyable and with a twist that was, as it should be, unexpected! The story was complete and satisfying.

I generally avoid short stories simply because I like to take the time for the story to unfold before me and develop the characters. After reading this and "The Sword of Kings," I am going to take the risk more often. There is a definite challenge to the short story and Mr. Iden does not disappoint!
Tom
Sep 02, 2012 Tom rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Savvy Fantasy Readers - Short Story
Recommended to Tom by: Matthew Iden
When diplomacy and reason fail – Assassin by Matthew Iden; an Amazon average rating of 4.0 stars.

Assassin has a common medieval back-story of a war between two nations that’s run its course with the people and needs to be reconciled politically. What isn’t so common is the intimate view of this process behind the scenes where the chess match between greed and desperation are played out. Lowan’s final act to save his people will leave you stunned.

Iden gives us a look at war from the power broker
Kim Justice
Well first of all this was an interesting book but short. Which in some ways was very refreshing.

But even though it was short and refreshing I still had a few spots that to me was a little over done. Or a little to history but wasn't .. It is fantasy but to me it reminded me of some very distant war story.

There again this is my thoughts, yours may vary and that is great. So the book is short so is my review. Pick it up and read for yourself. Then let me know what you think.

Cover: Interesting
P
Julie
This short story had to work a little harder to get me hooked. But, not much as it turned out. I thought it was very good, and will recommend it! The twist at the end did catch me off guard, I loved it. Again I was left fingers crossed that there was more pages to flip to...alas
That's the point right? Keep them wanting more.
We'll I do, so am starting the third and final short story that author Matthew Iden was so gracious to include in his 6day giveaway.
Literary  Chanteuse
In a fantasy/historic short story I begin with an honest amount of skepticism that the story can be told effectively in such a short amount of writing as this particular genre can be quite intricate in detail and significance. However this author has succeeded with flying colors. It is well written with an element of mystery and anticipation and once the story concludes it causes the reader to think.
Caro
The story was interesting and the twist unexpected, but I really wish it had been a bit longer. I felt like the back story of the two warring countries as well as the probably necessary info-dropping about the king and his character and his rule and so on dominated the whole story, instead of stressing the actual action/dialogue/emotions.
Reynard
Especially nice touch. Iden almost fooled me into a narrow path of expectation. I really think this could be further developed into a full-fleshed novel (perhaps coupled with the nice The Sword of Kings?)
Pruitt
A very enjoyable short story set in a fictional, medieval land about a Prince who visits a neighboring country his land has been at war with for a long time in an attempt to work out an ending to hostilities. The author keeps you guessing what is going to happen until the very end.
Baarbaara Baaa
Brilliant short story, absolutely engrossing, got really caught up in the story as the two Young Princes try and bring about a peace treaty, great descriptions of the lands and peoples, what a twist at the end, once again left me wanting to read more.
Conny
I got this short story as a free download and I really enjoyed it. Not only was it well written with an unexpected twist at the end, it was hard for me to put down and I read it in one sitting. Can't wait to read more of Matthew Iden's work.
Michelle
Eh, this wasn't really my kind of story I guess. I had to reading the ending twice to understand what happened. I think the story was way to short and didn't give me enough to grab onto, which could be the reason why I didn't really like it.
Marie
I admit, I completely did not fore-see this ending - it caught me by surprise, but made complete sense with all the clues that had been sprinkled throughout the rest of the story. Highly enjoyable read.
Marge
An excellent short story. Thoroughly enjoyable reading when perhaps you do not have much time.
Sam Gilbert
I was bored and I had 15 minutes before I had to go to bed. That's all.
Beth
Really quick read. Unexpected ending. Author narrative at the end.
S. Ryan
Wonderful storytelling.
Circe
Circe is currently reading it
Dec 28, 2014
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Angela Lee
Angela Lee marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Delores Alger
Delores Alger marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Ruth Barrineau-brooks
Ruth Barrineau-brooks marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
E.L.
E.L. marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Betsy the Quilter
Betsy the Quilter marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Lauren Walsh
Lauren Walsh marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
I write fantasy, science fiction, horror, thrillers, crime fiction, and contemporary literary fiction with a psychological twist.

I’ve held jobs with the US Postal Service, international non-profit groups, a short stint with the Forest Service in Sitka, Alaska, and time with the globe-spanning Semester at Sea program. Trips to Iceland, Patagonia, and Antarctica added to the creative pot, as well,
More about Matthew Iden...
A Reason to Live (Marty Singer #1) Blueblood (Marty Singer #2) One Right Thing (Marty Singer #3) The Spike (Marty Singer #4) The Sword of Kings