The Epic Love Story of Doug and Stephen

The Epic Love Story of Doug and Stephen

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  461 ratings  ·  110 reviews
A comedy about a bisexual mechanic turned model who aims to get the man of his dreams and save the world as soon as he finishes smoking this joint.
Published April 11th 2011 by Valerie Z. Lewis

To ask other readers questions about The Epic Love Story of Doug and Stephen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Epic Love Story of Doug and Stephen

julio
Promising.

Displays a charming flair for language and humor, but marred by minor excesses and a tiny bit of repetition.

As a character Doug is too stupid to be at all believable; Stephen never quite vulnerable enough to make putting up with his constantly disagreeable behavior worth it.

Compare to J.L. Merrow's Muscling Through, which employs nearly the same setup to make nearly the same point—but with far more subtlety and restraint.

A little less of the stupid here, a little more of the vulnerabl...more
MandyM
This is the strangely poignant, very funny, and ultimately uplifting love story of Doug, a simple-minded and big-hearted male model and Stephen, the aloof and hostile object of his affections. Stephen is bitter and depressed about the disappointing way his life has turned out. He has succeeded in rebuffing any overtures of friendship until Doug gets a job at his workplace and decides that Stephen is the man for him.

This book takes all the serious issues of sexuality, acceptance, friendship, succ...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

The Epic Love Story of Doug and Stephen is a PG romance about a Forrest Gump-esq male model who falls in love and lust with a smart, bitter man while working at a gay magazine in NYC. The male model, Doug, has never been with a guy before but without thinking or analyzing his desires, realizes that he has the hots for Stephen and lunges right in.

Doug is simple-minded, sweet, and inexplicably hilarious. The book had me laughing out loud in parts, and 100% kept my interest. This is not y...more
Lisa Henry
My review in one word: Hilarious!

So there's the plot. Doug works at a gay magazine. Doug decides that he is gay for Stephen. Doug sets out to get Stephen. There is also some stuff going on with an investigation into an evil multi-national, but they could have spent the entire book watching the grass grow and I still would have read it. Because it's HILARIOUS.

Doug is sweet, dumb, and I was in love with him the moment he picked up a button off the floor and put it in his mouth. Because, you know...more
Vivian Archer
The blurb is all wrong.

Gives zero clue as to what you're really in for. More like not-the-brightest-bulb-in-the-pack model goes GFY over his magazine editor. It is FUNNY. It is SNARKY. It tries too hard sometimes and feels forced--really you can't have a zinger every other line, build up is necessary. Other than that this is entertaining.

Stephen is one of those individuals who cloaks himself in disdain to avoid rejection.

Doug is simple, but his intuition is absolutely brilliant. He may test in...more
Arthur
Like reading a bisexual male model version of Forrest Gump. That's the feeling you'd get when you're reading this story.

Douglas is a male model with big heart but limited understanding of how the world surrounding him works. He used to be a mechanic in Indiana, but he moved to New York, became a part-time model, and was hired to be 'model in residence' by The Flame, a gay magazine. Since the beginning, Doug had been attracted to Stephen, the senior editor. He even professed his love to him. But...more
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
This was super funny. That's the only reason I finished it.

I hated all the flash backs they seemed pretty pointless and where mostly just Doug remembering lots and lots of sex with girls. It was disappointing the mf sex was more described a d 30 times more numerous than the brief glimpses of anything gay. I won't even classify this as mm.

The ending was it just kind of ends, but honestly if there is more I wouldn't care enough to go read it.

Hated the drug use. This book is very drug detailed and...more
Audrey
3.5-4 stars. Think of the most extreme opposites attract story you know of. Then dial it up a notch. That's what this story ended up being.

It's not that Doug, the male model main character, is not the brightest crayon in the box; rather, it's like Doug is the BLACK crayon. Seriously. Now try pairing him up with Stephen, the uber-intellectual (and he's so uber-aware of that fact) editor at the magazine at which Doug somehow and miraculously landed a job (hint: Doug has to model clothes - usually...more
Chris
Doug is straight, not too bright, and a former mechanic who's now a male model on staff at a gay magazine in New York City, where he decides he's gay for miserable and sort of scary editor Stephen. This romance manages to be funny, touching, and memorable.
Isa K.
It's funny how my reaction to this book sort of mirrored Stephen's reaction to Doug. In the beginning all I could think was that there's a difference between funny and ridiculous and this book was the latter. Most of the jokes seemed dumb, a few laughs but more in the 'broken clock is right twice a day' way.

But as the story went on, its charms became more obvious and I found myself laughing out loud more and more. Until finally, like Stephen, I had completely lost sight of what I supposedly hate...more
Adriana
I love this book!

Funniest thing I have read in a while, the other reviews are right this is Forrest Gump bisexual male model.
I love Stephen when he was evil, Doug is so clueless, and the rest of the characters are great.

I want to read this again.

I can't believe this was free.
Ery
The Epic Love Story of Doug and Stephen is a comedic journey of a ...ummm.... Intelligence-challenged model and a brainiac writer, who slowly transition from a love-hate (as in, one loves, one hates) relationship to a love-love romance. It is written in a very down-to-earth voice that makes the reader feel like someone is telling them the origins of their relationship. It has gotten a lot of great reviews, and I can certainly understand why - the style or tone of writing is original, there aren'...more
Ami
Apr 21, 2012 Ami rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ami by: MandyM
I must thank MandyM for this one. This story is one enjoyable journey. Doug and Stephen are a case of opposite attract.

I love how endearing and determined Doug is, when he decides that the grouchy Stephen is the love of his life. Doug is not really smart. He's a male model, he can't write to save his life, but he has such a positive outlook about life and people in general. He makes friends with a weed dealer and homeless guy. Doug is a simple man, but in his simplicity, he can even get under S...more
TJ
Wonderfully, wonderfully perfect....until what felt like a slap-dash ending. I reached the final page on my Kindle thinking...wait. There HAS to be more, right? That couldn't be the end, RIGHT?!?!?! But alas it was, and it unfortunately bummed me out. What could have been an awesome HEA with fireworks bursting in the sky instead turned out to be a...uh. Wait. That's it? It felt very HFN, which I suppose is okay, but it didn't fit with the rest of the book. However, Doug is a character not to be...more
Cindi
I don't know if I have ever laughed so hard while reading a book as I did with this one. It started at 1 or 2% (on my Kindle) with Doug's conversation with his mother on the phone and it continued throughout the entire story. I could never write a review that could do this book justice. I literally laughed the entire time I was reading it. It was brilliant. Doug is so simple. No book smarts at all. Naive. Totally clueless. He was perfect. Stephen is such an ass. After reading some of the other r...more
Taintedskyee (Books Books&More Books)
This is such a great book I am so excited

After the first to chapter I really wanna share this with all my friends who doesn't Know about this Treasure.
I just couldn't hold myself from showing off my Doug

A comedy about a bisexual mechanic turned model,Doug who aims to get the man of his dreams Stephen who has rock instead of a heart and generally hates everything and everybeing in this world.
So this is the Hateful Stephen.

So as Doug's mother once said with patience everything could be won he tri
Shannon
One of the funniest books I have ever read. I honestly don't know how Doug survived on his own, he is that stupid. He's also the sweetest thing ever! Stephen was snarky and bitter and I loved him too. The only thing that kept this from a 5 star rating was the complete lack of sex. If a formerly straight guy is having gay sex for the first time, I want to read about!! Definitely a fun read.
Karel
I have yet to be able to read this from start to end because every time I try I keep laughing and laughing and laughing until my jaw hurts because I'm just not used to smiling, much less laughing, and this is cruel and unusual punishment indeed.

I love Doug, who is a complete idiot but you can't help loving him because he's like a dog. Not the kind that sleeps with your best friend; the one who gambols around you, hoping you'll give it treats and rub its belly.

I love Stephen too, who can only be...more
Kyra
The only thing I didn't like about this book was that it ended. I LOVED Doug! No one could accuse him of being smart, but he had a very good heart, always wanting to help those around him and his main goal was to make Stephen happy. I loved that even though Stephen mocked him, scowled at him and called him names, every once in a while when Doug did or said something especially Doug-like it caught Stephen completely off guard and for a little while he forgot to be miserable and let himself have a...more
M
This book was seriously adorable. It's about this wildly improbable romance between a delightfully dim-witted model and a snarky journalist. It's not my usual fare, I get nervous when characters are described as "simple-minded", but Doug (the idiot) is so charmingly stupid and big-hearted that I'd forgive him anything. Also, his, er, slowness carries most of the comedy. And comedy it is, I thought it was hilarious; as my frequent snorts of laughter can attest to. It was a fun, light read.
Katie
I just can't decide how I feel about this one. On one hand the book is ridiculous and it was full of lines that were trying WAY too hard to be funny...1.5-2 stars. On the other hand, eventually it becomes so ridiculous it's sort of funny and cute...3-3.5 stars. To be honest, I think I lean more towards the 1.5-2 star, they're trying so hard to be funny, but I'm barely cracking a smile. I'll leave my rating at 3 stars, though.
Snowtulip
This book provided so many laughs. It's one of those stories that you will either love or hate. Doug is absolutely adorable and easy to love even when you can't understand how he manages to function in today's world, while at the same time wishing YOU could function the way he does in this world. He's a perfect partner for Stephen. Fun read!
Bree Cheese
Jul 31, 2013 Bree Cheese rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bree Cheese by: Sasha
Hysterically funny book about a male model with a heart of gold (and a brain the size of a pea) who falls in love with an acerbically witty (and uber antisocial) magazine editor. This should be renamed “The Epic Love Story of a Dog and a Cat.” Extra stars given for the shear amount of laugh-out-loud-ness.
Susinok
This one was hilarious from start to finish and had me laughing out loud often.
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
This is a solid 3.5 stars for me. There were things I liked and things I didn't, and some things I like and didn't like at the same time.

Doug is cute and sweet and hilarious at times. He is also seemingly dumb as a brick, made out as a brainless model with good looks being his only real skill, though perhaps this is due, in part, to smoking weed daily for most of his adult life. I had a difficult time seeing any real depth to his character. He was so flighty all the time, but every once in a wh...more
Amanda
The Epic Love Story of Doug and Stephan was an odd book. I paid 99 cents for it on Amazon so I wasn't sure what I was getting but I am pleasantly suprised. I genuinely enjoyed the story.

There are two main character, Doug and Stephan. Doug is in love with Stephan but thinks he's a bit evil and Stephan hates Doug and tells him repeatedly.

Doug is an idiot. Literally. He has no common sense, he doesn't understand half the english vocabulary and he lives a very simple life. BUT...Doug is also very...more
Sherry
3.25 A humerous story that many times had me chuckling to myself in amusement or rolling my eyes in a wtf? reaction.

Doug is a truly too-dumb-to-live Midwestern boy whom Serendipity smiles upon. He realizes that since he's working for a gay magazine, he must be gay - and decides that he's in love with Stephen, even if Stephen is evil and Doug is afraid of him (at least at the beginning).

Stephen has settled into being a bitter and dissatisfied man. Doug's inept approaches are at first annoying to...more
Edina Rose
This clever and very funny. It's original and worth more than its price, certainly. I mean, it's 99p for more than 200 pages of good quality fun!!! That's like having the book for free.

Doug, a mechanic turned male model, is gorgeous to bits, but seriously dumb. He is a highly functioning het until he falls in love with his colleague Stephen, then he becomes gay for Stephen. They are total opposites. Stephen is highly intelligent, an ambitious workaholic but has a permanently sour disposition.

Th
Kazza
This is a quirky, random, funny book with rather endearing, if not offbeat, characters. Therefore, I enjoyed the writing immensely.

Doug is thicker than a two inch T-bone, he's pretty, models, and makes Derek Zoolander seem like Einstein in comparison (sorry Doug, much love to you). In Doug’s defence, he does do justice to the axiom that thinking is overrated. He also sees the silver lining around things, sees the good in people, even ‘long-suffering Stephen.’ Oddly, he also listens, and at the m...more
Tiya Rosa
This is really funny. Like, seriously hilarious. I was shaking with laughter and if I had just focused on that, I would have enjoyed this more than I did. I was expecting at least a bit of romance, though, and it was disappointing mostly due to the royal asshole slash douchebag that was Stephen. I understood the rude comebacks and appreciated how funny they were, but I was hoping for a bit of kindness towards Doug somewhere at least later in the story and I don't think Stephen delivered. He's al...more
  • Know Not Why
  • Homo Action Love Story! A tall tale
  • Drunk Text
  • Slam!
  • DILF
Hi. Thank you for taking the time to read my shit. I hope you like it, but if you don't that's okay too. I have a list of all my publications at valerielewis.net. I also put The Epic Love Story of Doug and Stephen there for free in a few different formats.
More about Valerie Z. Lewis...
The Collected Works of Valerie Z. Lewis The Blood of the Lamb Alleys & Doorways: An Anthology of Homoerotic Urban Fantasy Short Stories

“See, I thought gay sex would be all different and weird, but it was just like having sex with a woman, except way hotter. I guess you can't believe stuff you see on the Internet, because you know, the hot gay sex I had last night was totally awesome, and nobody like, put their entire hand in my butt."

Doug stood and walked over to Stephen, who was shoving a bagel into a Ziploc bag. "Anyway, hold on, here he is," Doug said into the phone, and then held it out towards him. "It's your mom.”
7 likes
“And this song,” Doug said as the CD advanced to the next track, “Makes me think about how Stephen’s love completes my soul.” Rapid-fire drumming led into lyrics describing the satisfaction one felt when pointing a Glock at a filthy puta.” 4 likes