Start by marking “Isherwood” as Want to Read:
Isherwood

Isherwood

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Here is the definitive biography of one of the most exciting, influential, and elusive authors of the twentieth century. Christopher Isherwood’s novels and short stories, including those that inspired the musical Cabaret, have always been assumed to be largely autobiographical.

Based in part on Isherwood’s private papers–unavailable until now–this fascinating book presents
914 pages
Published 2005 by Picador (first published December 7th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Isherwood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Isherwood

Noel Hourican
Reasonably well written biography that struggled to make interesting a subject that I eventually (and disappointedly) found to be somewhat dull. I was drawn to the biography by my admiration for the Berlin novels but would suggest that this would be insufficient to retain the interest of readers that are not fans of Isherwood's later work.
Will Schwalbe
This is a wonderful book -- am re-reading it before seeing A SINGLE MAN. Isherwood is my favorite writer -- almost every book of his still affects me as it did when I first discovered him.
G.
Could have used a good editor, at 750 pages its about 25% too long. Isherwood was extremely self analyzing and the author uses that to good effect, but too much of it.
Rose
Amazingly exhaustive biography of the writer, but nothing drags.You will be amazed how fast this reads. Good illustrations.
Eric
Apr 18, 2008 Eric marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
By the by, it cracks me up that they decided to print this in Times Roman.
Roger-Paul
This book is so long I will never finish it
Kinga Latała
Kinga Latała marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Dwaine Schoner
Dwaine Schoner marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Rozan
Rozan marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Ee
Ee added it
Mar 12, 2014
Sophia
Sophia marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The Last Veteran: Harry Patch And The Legacy Of War Ackerley The Old Lie: The Great War and the Public-School Ethos The Reader's Companion to Twentieth-Century Writers The Reader's Companion to the Twentieth-Century Novel (The Reader's Companion)