The Reporter

The Reporter (Galactic Football League #3.5)

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  193 ratings  ·  29 reviews
The Reporter follows Yolanda Davenport, a reporter for Galaxy Sports Magazine, as she searches for the truth about Ju Tweedy's involvement with the murder of Grace McDermott - the incident that drove Ju to join the Ionath Krakens. The Reporter takes place between week three and week six of the 2684 Galactic Football League season, the season that encompasses The All-Pro.
ebook
Published March 21st 2012 by Dark Øverlord Media

To ask other readers questions about The Reporter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reporter

Chris
This book is a pretty substantial win on several levels.

To better grasp where my view of The Reporter comes from, its probably good to mention how I came to it. If you are unfamiliar with Sigler or Lafferty's careers, they are, at least, the godparents of Fiction by Podcast. Both embraced electronic delivery in its earliest stages. Largely entrusting their careers to the idea that building a tight dedicated following online would not only feed their creativity, but lead to more mainstream recog...more
Paul
Sep 04, 2012 Paul rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
Scott
This novella is collaborative effort between Mur Lafferty and Scott Sigler. It's set in the universe of Sigler's GFL series. Specifically, it occurs between weeks 4-6 of the regular Tier 1 season in _The_All-Pro_ (TAP). While tangential to the main story line in TAP, it offers a fascinating glimpse into the life of a reporter whose work figures prominently in TAP. Throughout the novella's sub-200 page length, the action rarely slows down and several plot twists develop that have ramifications to...more
Joe Hempel
The novella that tells the story of how Yolanda cleared the name of Ju Tweedy in "The All Pro"

I have mixed feelings about this...mainly because alot of it bored me to tears....perhaps the writing of Mur Lafferty is to blame (not a big fan), but I found myself dozing off during the first half.

Thankfully the last half made up for it in a nice action packed revelation and closure.

It was also kind of neat to see the scene from The All Pro in there when the President of the GFL called in Quinten, Ju,...more
Norman Miller
as a fan of the GFL it was great to see a different side of one of the characters.
JP Harvey
This story fills in details behind the scenes of the novels in Scott Sigler's GFL series, specifically during the events in The All-Pro. Follow reporter Yolanda Davenport as she discovers the details and truth behind the murder she previously reported as committed by Ionath Krakens' starting player Ju Tweedy.

This book is very readable with a fast moving story. You'll learn additional details about OS1 and as a bonus, you're casually introduced to a new species of sentient!

If you enjoy the GFL no...more
Cameron
Oh man what good fun! Might Mur and The FDO spun a great yarn, here. The characters, as always, were great. It always burned me to not know the truth behind Grace McDermott's murder in The All-Pro, as that was a major plot thread throughout the book. Not only did this story resolve that in a great way, but it stood apart from TAP very well while still tying up that mystery. The insights into the team owners' rivalry, and especially their manipulations, make this a must-read for any fan of the GF...more
Icepick
A really nice addition to the GFL universe. Solid characters that have been peripheral to the main GFL story line get their time in the sun with a compelling narrative.

It was interesting to see characters we know as minor players and have the story told in such a different narrative style. There were Sigler nuances, of course, but it never quite felt like it was a Sigler story.

Overall, I very much enjoyed it and was really happy this story was told.
Blake Petit
Really good addendum to the GFL Saga. Mur Lafferty managed to melt into Scott Sigler's signature style seamlessly, producing a book that feels like it comes from a singular vision and tells a very entertaining sci-fi mystery story. It probably wouldn't stand alone on its well (if you haven't read the GFL books, that is), but as a bonus story in the tales of Quentin Barnes, it's highly enjoyable.
Matt James
Clearing Ju Tweedy of murder was somewhat sudden in The All-Pro; The Reporter is a fun side story that expands on that. This detective story doesn't lean too heavily on neo-noir tropes as The Detective while certainly a detective story. Definitely recommended if you enjoy Sigler's GFL series and want to see the galaxy he's created (specifically OS1).
Colin Forbes
If you have been reading Scott Sigler's GFL series of books, then this is a must-read accompaniment to that and adds depth to the characters and events of that universe. A well plotted story centred around some of the less prominent characters in the main novels.
Wouldn't recommend as a stand alone title though - one for existing fans only.
Gloria
I enjoyed this novella addition to the GFL books; there was some good action, but it was ok. I found Yolanda in this a little more interesting than usual...maybe because we see her motivations. If you like the GFL series, this is a nice addition. If you haven't read the GFL books, this isn't for you.
Keith Hughes
This book is a big win. With the basis in Scott's imaginative and unique world from his GFL series, combined with Mur's wit and quality wordsmithing, this was an extremely enjoyable story. It certainly can stand alone, but it also gives an extra look into some events in Sigler's THE ALL-PRO,
James Hasser
Another great story by Sigler. I love that he is making side stories for characters from the main GFL novels. He has so many fun characters that don't get much development in the main books. Can't wait to read the detective!
Jason Kivela
This was an awesome novella. It was great seeing Mur's take on the GFL universe, and I could clearly see her influence on the story. Getting to see how non football life is was great, I hope Scott dose more collaborations soon.
Samuel
This is a great murder mystery for fans of Sigler’s GFL series (The Rookie, The All-Pro, etc.). If you enjoy unexpectedly resourceful peon-type characters, then it’s even better.
Barry

Excellent novella in the Galactic Football League universe. Fills in some information and well written. Science Fiction and Football what more could you ask for?
Cameron Mathews
Really liked this novella - it filled in the holes from the gfl series quite nicely. Props to Sigler and Lafferty for an entertaining series companion.
Mark
Great side story to Scott's GFL universe. I can't help hoping that Whykor shows up in more stories.

Kimberly

Great addition to the GFL series. Added depth to a few characters and was written wonderfully.
Steve

Great Side Story to the GFL. I really Liked it Mur and Scott hit it out of the Park
Don
A great short story. It fit right in with the rest of the series.
Aaron
Well worth a read for GFL fans -- a sidestory to GFL Season 4.
Alex
very enjoyable a great companion to The All Pro
Jared Van middlesworth

Great side story to the GFL series.
Matt
Mar 21, 2012 Matt rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: ebooks
Great story, had me hooked throughout.
Kyle
I can't get enough of the GFL universe.
Laura Boggs
A great side story to the GFL series.
Jon
Want more
Barb Carter
Barb Carter marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
New York Times best-selling novelist Scott Sigler is author of the INFECTED trilogy (INFECTED, CONTAGIOUS and PANDEMIC), ANCESTOR and NOCTURNAL, hardcover hardcover thrillers from Crown Publishing; and the co-founder of Empty Set Entertainment, which publishes his Galactic Football League series (THE ROOKIE, THE STARTER, THE ALL-PRO and THE MVP).
Before he was published, Scott built a large online...more
More about Scott Sigler...
Infected (Infected, #1) Contagious (Infected, #2) Ancestor Nocturnal Earthcore