Start by marking “The Reporter (Galactic Football League, #3.5)” as Want to Read:
The Reporter (Galactic Football League, #3.5)

The Reporter (Galactic Football League #3.5)

The Reporter follows Yolanda Davenport, a reporter for Galaxy Sports Magazine, as she searches for the truth about Ju Tweedy's involvement with the murder of Grace McDermott - the incident that drove Ju to join the Ionath Krakens. The Reporter takes place between week three and week six of the 2684 Galactic Football League season, the season that encompasses The All-Pro.
ebook
Published March 21st 2012 by Dark Øverlord Media

To ask other readers questions about The Reporter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reporter

Chris
May 26, 2012 Chris rated it it was amazing
This book is a pretty substantial win on several levels.

To better grasp where my view of The Reporter comes from, its probably good to mention how I came to it. If you are unfamiliar with Sigler or Lafferty's careers, they are, at least, the godparents of Fiction by Podcast. Both embraced electronic delivery in its earliest stages. Largely entrusting their careers to the idea that building a tight dedicated following online would not only feed their creativity, but lead to more mainstream recog
Paul
Aug 19, 2012 Paul rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
BigJohn
Mar 29, 2012 BigJohn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, audio-books
The audiobook has just been released for this novella that came out a few years ago, and it was worth the wait. The story itself is gold. Gritty detective work and a great slot story that fits in between events that we've already read about in Scott Sigler's The All-Pro GFL novel. These GFL novellas are just loads and gobs of candy; they're well-written and expand on minor-er characters, even introducing great new ones.

This book is an investigate reporter whodunit with lots of plotting, scheming
Scott
Apr 03, 2012 Scott rated it it was amazing
This novella is collaborative effort between Mur Lafferty and Scott Sigler. It's set in the universe of Sigler's GFL series. Specifically, it occurs between weeks 4-6 of the regular Tier 1 season in _The_All-Pro_ (TAP). While tangential to the main story line in TAP, it offers a fascinating glimpse into the life of a reporter whose work figures prominently in TAP. Throughout the novella's sub-200 page length, the action rarely slows down and several plot twists develop that have ramifications to ...more
Blaine
Feb 17, 2016 Blaine rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I've been a fan of Scott Sigler since I first found his podcast of Infected. His early works are solid horror, mixed with humor. They will never be confused with literature, but both the books and his readings of them are entertaining.

The Reporter is a novella that takes place during a few weeks of Sigler's GFL series novel, The All-Pro. It's a departure from that series, and from Sigler's writing in general, in that it's pretty much a pure detective story. If you've read The All-Pro, you'll kno
Cameron
Mar 25, 2012 Cameron rated it it was amazing
Oh man what good fun! Might Mur and The FDO spun a great yarn, here. The characters, as always, were great. It always burned me to not know the truth behind Grace McDermott's murder in The All-Pro, as that was a major plot thread throughout the book. Not only did this story resolve that in a great way, but it stood apart from TAP very well while still tying up that mystery. The insights into the team owners' rivalry, and especially their manipulations, make this a must-read for any fan of the GF ...more
Daivd
Nov 15, 2012 Daivd rated it really liked it
From one of my favorite authors. Sigler has been putting out some awesome work for over 100 years now (right Scott?), and this Novella as part of the GFL universe with Murr Lafferty was great.

Gave me a glimpse into another area of the GFL universe than just football. Listened to this via his podcast. Love hearing his voices, especially the crazy alien ones, and him doing women's voices. lol

If you are into the GFL Series, this is a must read (or listen). As it adds to the existing story line with
JP Harvey
Apr 10, 2012 JP Harvey rated it really liked it
This story fills in details behind the scenes of the novels in Scott Sigler's GFL series, specifically during the events in The All-Pro. Follow reporter Yolanda Davenport as she discovers the details and truth behind the murder she previously reported as committed by Ionath Krakens' starting player Ju Tweedy.

This book is very readable with a fast moving story. You'll learn additional details about OS1 and as a bonus, you're casually introduced to a new species of sentient!

If you enjoy the GFL no
Joe Hempel
Oct 19, 2012 Joe Hempel rated it really liked it
The novella that tells the story of how Yolanda cleared the name of Ju Tweedy in "The All Pro"

I have mixed feelings about this...mainly because alot of it bored me to tears....perhaps the writing of Mur Lafferty is to blame (not a big fan), but I found myself dozing off during the first half.

Thankfully the last half made up for it in a nice action packed revelation and closure.

It was also kind of neat to see the scene from The All Pro in there when the President of the GFL called in Quinten, Ju,
Icepick
May 28, 2012 Icepick rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A really nice addition to the GFL universe. Solid characters that have been peripheral to the main GFL story line get their time in the sun with a compelling narrative.

It was interesting to see characters we know as minor players and have the story told in such a different narrative style. There were Sigler nuances, of course, but it never quite felt like it was a Sigler story.

Overall, I very much enjoyed it and was really happy this story was told.
Gloria
Oct 27, 2012 Gloria rated it liked it
I enjoyed this novella addition to the GFL books; there was some good action, but it was ok. I found Yolanda in this a little more interesting than usual...maybe because we see her motivations. If you like the GFL series, this is a nice addition. If you haven't read the GFL books, this isn't for you.
Steve Lundh
Jan 31, 2016 Steve Lundh rated it it was amazing
Another side addition to the GFL series by Scout Sigler. This back story involving the hated but desired Yolanda Davenport, gives us a whole other side of her and of how she helped find the real murderer of Grace McDermot. You will need to read the All-Pro first for this story to have a lot of meaning.
Shawn
Dec 18, 2015 Shawn rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
A wonderful story of the Galactic Football League. For all those suffering from GFL withdrawl, this is a wonderful side trip featuring the muder cover up of June Tweedy. This story takes place between the third and fourth books of the GFL series. I thoroughly enjoyed this side story and plan to read them all.
Blake Petit
Apr 01, 2012 Blake Petit rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Really good addendum to the GFL Saga. Mur Lafferty managed to melt into Scott Sigler's signature style seamlessly, producing a book that feels like it comes from a singular vision and tells a very entertaining sci-fi mystery story. It probably wouldn't stand alone on its well (if you haven't read the GFL books, that is), but as a bonus story in the tales of Quentin Barnes, it's highly enjoyable.
Adam
Feb 10, 2016 Adam rated it it was amazing
Great story, great characters. Overall, an excellent entry in the Siglerverse!

Since just one taste of that sweet sweet Sigler genius is known to cause instant addiction, it got me started on Alive.

Also marking the calendar for release of The Rider...

Damn you Scott Sigler! Just when I think I'm clean you cause a relapse! :)
Matt James
Jan 24, 2013 Matt James rated it really liked it
Clearing Ju Tweedy of murder was somewhat sudden in The All-Pro; The Reporter is a fun side story that expands on that. This detective story doesn't lean too heavily on neo-noir tropes as The Detective while certainly a detective story. Definitely recommended if you enjoy Sigler's GFL series and want to see the galaxy he's created (specifically OS1).
Colin Forbes
May 25, 2012 Colin Forbes rated it really liked it
If you have been reading Scott Sigler's GFL series of books, then this is a must-read accompaniment to that and adds depth to the characters and events of that universe. A well plotted story centred around some of the less prominent characters in the main novels.
Wouldn't recommend as a stand alone title though - one for existing fans only.
James Hasser
Aug 24, 2013 James Hasser rated it it was amazing
Another great story by Sigler. I love that he is making side stories for characters from the main GFL novels. He has so many fun characters that don't get much development in the main books. Can't wait to read the detective!
Enrico Banchi
Mar 09, 2016 Enrico Banchi rated it it was amazing
I listened to Scott's Audible book and I loved it. For the fans of the GFL books this is just great. It fits perfectly into the Quentin Barnes story as the best QB in the Galaxy.
A must for the junkies!
Keith Hughes
May 23, 2012 Keith Hughes rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
This book is a big win. With the basis in Scott's imaginative and unique world from his GFL series, combined with Mur's wit and quality wordsmithing, this was an extremely enjoyable story. It certainly can stand alone, but it also gives an extra look into some events in Sigler's THE ALL-PRO,
Jason Kivela
Jun 30, 2012 Jason Kivela rated it really liked it
This was an awesome novella. It was great seeing Mur's take on the GFL universe, and I could clearly see her influence on the story. Getting to see how non football life is was great, I hope Scott dose more collaborations soon.
Stephany
Dec 14, 2014 Stephany rated it liked it
This book was fun but I hate to say- I could tell it was diluted Sigler. I didn't feel Yolanda was as three dimensional as other Sigler characters, just a journalism machine. I really would have liked more backstory for her or a view of her life apart from her job. Loved Whykor!
Mike
Nov 30, 2015 Mike rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, mystery, thriller
A lot of the time, stories told in parallel to the "main" plot don't work very well. Thankfully, this is an excellent exception. :-)
Jon
Jul 04, 2012 Jon rated it it was amazing
Want more
Jay Daze
Aug 03, 2015 Jay Daze rated it liked it
Shelves: sf, ebook, sports
Interesting side trip with more details of Siglers world. Not essential, but it was cool to see the world from a reporter's perspective rather than a star football player's.
Kyle
Jul 11, 2012 Kyle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
I can't get enough of the GFL universe.
Barry
May 31, 2012 Barry rated it really liked it

Excellent novella in the Galactic Football League universe. Fills in some information and well written. Science Fiction and Football what more could you ask for?
Don
May 25, 2012 Don rated it really liked it
A great short story. It fit right in with the rest of the series.
Amy Braun
Oct 24, 2014 Amy Braun rated it really liked it
Great short story about Yolanda, who's tougher than I gave her credit for. Considering how she and Quentin rounded off the last book, it will be interesting to see where her story goes from here.
John O'Donnell
Jan 29, 2016 John O'Donnell rated it it was amazing
Perfect addition to the GFL. Love the new character the co-author introduced.
  • 7th Son: Deceit (7th Son, #2)
  • Marco and the Red Granny
  • Crescent
  • Ravenwood (Tanyth Fairport, #1)
  • This Is Life (Jack Palms Crime #2)
  • The Americans (Apex Trilogy, #2)
  • Future Games
  • Hall of Mirrors: Tales of Horror and The Grotesque.
  • The Case of the Singing Sword

Get Scott's free, unabridged weekly audiobook episodes from iTunes by subscribing to his podcast.

#1 New York Times best-selling author Scott Sigler is the creator of fifteen novels, six novellas and dozens of short stories. His works are available from Crown Publishing and Del Rey Books.

In 2005, Scott built a large online following by releasing his audiobooks as serialized podcasts. A de
More about Scott Sigler...

Galactic Football League (5 books)
  • The Rookie (Galactic Football League #1)
  • The Starter (Galactic Football League #2)
  • The All-Pro (Galactic Football League #3)
  • The MVP (Galactic Football League #4)
  • The Champion (Galactic Football League #5)