Start by marking “Fully Alive: Lighten Up and Live Again-A Journey that Will Change Your LIfe” as Want to Read:
Fully Alive: Lighten Up and Live Again-A Journey that Will Change Your LIfe

Fully Alive: Lighten Up and Live Again-A Journey that Will Change Your LIfe

Benjamin Franklin is quoted as saying, "Many men die at 25 and aren't buried until they are 75." This book is intended to wake up these people.

Fully Alive uncovers forgotten signs of life in a culture seemingly filled with the opposite. Through action steps that led to his physical, mental, social, and spiritual health, Ken Davis recounts his journey back to the land of th
Published July 10th 2012 by Thomas Nelson (first published 1992)

James
Aug 23, 2012 James rated it really liked it
I’ve been a fan of Ken Davis for a while. I don’t mean I have really followed his career or anything, but years ago I picked up a cassette tape (remember those?) of a message he gave off the bargain rack at my local Christian bookstore. The message was called Super Sheep and despite not having heard it in years I remember the things Ken said, his depth and his humor. Okay, so I got one of those minds that actually remembers sermons (I’m a freak of nature) but you can ask my wife, she’s heard the ...more
Cheryl
Oct 09, 2012 Cheryl rated it liked it
This book gave me mixed emotions in more than one way.

Overall, Fully Alive made me both cry and laugh out loud. I appreciate both reactions and felt especially pleased when I reminded myself that, laughter truly is good medicine.

Another reason I had mixed emotions was because for quite a while as I read through this book I thought I had been tricked or deceived into what it was all about—what the topic or category of book this was. All the summaries that I had read from the publisher about this
Pilar
Aug 29, 2012 Pilar rated it really liked it
I admit, I didn't know who Ken Davis was before reading Fully Alive. So, it was especially sweet getting to know him by reading his story.

Ken Davis shares his struggles and triumphs in his life's journey. He doesn't hide anything. He is candid and open in relaying details of his life.

Have you felt depressed or unmotivated lately? Have you been thinking about getting back in shape, but think it's impossible? Do you feel old and listless? Are you just going through the motions in life? Have you t
Gea
Jul 23, 2012 Gea rated it it was amazing
Davis, Ken, “Fully Alive: a Journey that will Change Your Life”. Thomas Nelson, 2012.

Exciting book of a life fully transformed both physically and spiritually. Full of humorous anecdotes which makes it a fast read and a joyful delight. Ken shares his journey from the “NOOOOO manatee” photo to a svelte 65 yr old man who shed over 80 lbs as well as found his spiritual life re-energized as well. It is a fast read and the laughter you erupt with as you read is truly a prescriptive medicine from whic
Dana Rongione
Sep 10, 2012 Dana Rongione rated it it was amazing
A man lies in a bed in the ICU of the local hospital. Tubes and wires protrude from his feeble body and wind their way to massive machines on either side of the bed. The lights on the machine and the bouncing bubble that displays the heartbeat give evidence to the fact that this man is indeed alive. But is he living?

A Christian trudges through life doing what must be done to get by. Upon examining his actions, one of two conclusions can be reached: (1) He has arrived at where he wants to be in l
Virginia
Dec 29, 2012 Virginia rated it it was amazing
“Ohhhh. Your friend here is only mostly dead. There’s a big difference between mostly dead and all dead…Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead there is usually only one thing you can do. Go through his clothes and look for loose change.” ~Miracle Max

“Bible belt folks think living is a sin, so they are started dying from the day their born-again.” ~Steve Taylor.

“I have come that you might have life and have it to the full!” ~Jesus Christ.

The book by comedian Ken Davis, Fully Alive, A Journe
Loraine Alcorn
Aug 16, 2012 Loraine Alcorn rated it it was amazing
I was able to read Fully Alive by Ken Davis through book sneeze. I thought this book to be a high value Christ centered motivational book . This book takes you through all the many reasons why Ken Davis felt improvements were needed in his life so that he could live Fully Alive. I thought the book really great for motivating anyone who is unsatisfied with the're lives they way they are going and it shows us step by step how to regain what we lost.
Each chapter is great and you will learn a new st
Cindy Navarro
Aug 15, 2012 Cindy Navarro rated it it was amazing
This book came along just when I needed it. It is filled with encouraging stories, practical ideas, and humor. Throughout the book, Ken tells the reader that there is so much more to life than just existing until death. Age, poor health, obesity, depression, retirement: whether you are facing all, some, or even a different set of obstacles, there is hope to LIVE as long as you breathe. Actually, Ken encourages you to breathe hard as you give all you have in life. When circumstances are crushing ...more
Brent Soderstrum
Feb 23, 2014 Brent Soderstrum rated it liked it
My men's Bible study group just got done reading this book. We also had the DVD series that went along with it. Davis uses comedy to bring out the theme of the book which is we shouldn't just shut down our life as we get older. We need to live "fully alive" physically, mentally and spiritually.

The group was split on this one. About half really enjoyed it. I was in the other half that thought it was just ok. I did enjoy some of his stories from his life. Losing his granddaughter in the woods, re
Janna
I first heard of Ken Davis at a Speaker's Conference and was delighted to find my favorite story of his, "Law of the Pendulum," included in this inspirational book.

Davis tells of a "life awakening" - body, mind, and spirit - in the golden years of life after other things like a thriving speaking career and private plane have left him empty.

I appreciated the health chapters but most enjoyed the grace references (life in Christ) and agree with Davis that a total awakening is the only one that trul
Paul Armstrong
Jan 30, 2014 Paul Armstrong rated it liked it
Helpful and mostly Inspiring.

I listened to this as an audiobook which is narrated by the author. This is doubly useful as the author is also an accomplished speaker and given the subject and desire to inspire it gives it authenticity.
Authenticity is still a wee challenge as the delivery is "American" (An odd adjative to Americans I accept, but to non Americans, like me, I am sure it translates). But I got over myself here and listened to Ken's messages. And they are good.

As a confirmed atheis
Rick Drury
Jan 12, 2013 Rick Drury rated it it was amazing
My wife brought this book home fron a Women of Faith Conference in Minniapolis. Within 15 minutes of starting the book I told her I was not going to finish it. The story of his grand daughter broke my heart and I didn't want to see how it ended. Having heard the story she encouraged me to read on.
Throughout the book I laughed and I cried. This was a big step in me getting back on track spititually, emotionally and physically. Having told her bits and pieces, now my wife wants to read it.
Highly
Jo
Dec 13, 2015 Jo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspiration
I loved this book... It was read by the author - and it is based on several books that I've read and enjoyed... It's the authors version of how to live fully engaged... Which I'm a huge believer in this concept... He talks of the physical, the social, and the spiritual aspects of our journey... It was a great book to listen to as I commuted during the Holiday season!
Carol Dittoe
Oct 10, 2012 Carol Dittoe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspiration
No one can read this book and not be changed. Ken Davis has the perfect mix of humor, seriousness, and religion to make every reader stop and evaluate his or her live. Are we living fully alive? Read this book and you you have no choice but to live "Fully Alive!" Thanks Ken for a masterpiece!
Myrna Parks
Apr 12, 2013 Myrna Parks rated it it was amazing
I ordered this book from the author's page and I love it! I consider this a marker (or stake) in my spiritual journey. It is just what I need to spur me to press on during these painful trials, called life. From one perfectionist to another--thank you, Ken!
Terry
Aug 15, 2012 Terry rated it it was amazing
Ken Davis is inspirational, funny and insightful in this book. His Christian perspective is refreshing. This is his story about recovering life from the temptation to drift. He has a real knack at whipsawing your emotions while inspiring you.

It is an easy read and definitely recommended.
BJ Mcmillen
Jan 06, 2013 BJ Mcmillen rated it liked it
So far I am enjoying this book. I almost put it down because I thought it was focusing to much on the healthy lifestyle (exercise) in the first half. But I am really enjoying the direction of taking chances and living Fully Alive.
Charles Wood
May 31, 2016 Charles Wood rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book about living live to the fullest. It helped me put several things into perspective around what is important to me and helped me recognize that the short term tradeoffs I make have long term consequences.
Dustin
Jan 11, 2014 Dustin rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Ken's humor and the stories he tells to reinforce his perspective on living fully alive. This book wasn't short of entertaining too. I actually laughed out loud while listening to the audiobook!
Marcus Lynn
Feb 14, 2013 Marcus Lynn rated it liked it
Shelves: discipleship
Davis is one of the funniest Christian speakers I've heard. There's still humor in this book but it doesn't translate as well as it does live and his topic is a little more serious. If you're looking to make some changes to your physical and spiritual life, then pick this one up.
Michael Tarpinian
Interesting book. Equal parts fitness, motivation, inspiration, and Christian lifestyle tips, I found it engrossing.

Ken Davis' style and humor same through with his reading. That they left in his hesitations and quirks made it even more naturalistic and engaging.
Jeffry
Jul 27, 2012 Jeffry rated it really liked it
A lot to consider. While simply written - with nice anecdotes - it challenges you to explore own decisions. Really drives home the idea that all of our decisions have consequences - so chose wisely.
Ellien
Apr 12, 2013 Ellien rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
I opened this book to the chapter on building relationships, then eagerly read the whole book in two nights. Funny, inspirational, and poignant! A must read, even IF you think you are "fully alive".
Kris Sellers
Mar 18, 2015 Kris Sellers rated it it was amazing
Great and inspiring book by a very funny man! Very motivating and unselfishly shares many personal moments.
Amy
Oct 23, 2012 Amy rated it liked it
It was okay. I've heard Ken speak in the past, and he was hilarious. Honestly, I was expecting more out of this book, I'm a little disappointed.
Deena Shoemaker
Dec 07, 2012 Deena Shoemaker rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own
Ken Davis is a funny guy. His book made me laugh, it made me cry, but it offered me nothing I hadn't heard before outside of his own personal stories.
Mary
Oct 15, 2012 Mary rated it liked it
fluff, get in shape book, not my favorite
ok if you're looking for inspiration to get moving in all areas of life.
Jason Duncan
Jan 27, 2016 Jason Duncan rated it really liked it
Ken Davis speaking from experience,
conveys a number of truths that we all need to hear -
and act upon ... so we can live to our fullest.
Katie Axelson
Jan 12, 2013 Katie Axelson rated it liked it
I was really excited about Fully Alive. Maybe that excitement led to my let-down. Maybe it's the stage of life I'm in right now but I wanted more meat
Elaine
Feb 19, 2015 Elaine added it
What a great account of a man who took the bull by the horns & changed his life. I have enjoyed Ken's way of looking at things for many years & this was no exception.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Idol Lies: Facing the Truth About Our Deepest Desires
  • Soul Revolution: How Imperfect People Become All God Intended
  • Life's Healing Choices: Freedom from Your Hurts, Hang-ups, and Habits
  • The Sticky Faith Guide for Your Family: Over 100 Practical and Tested Ideas to Build Lasting Faith in Kids
  • A Woman's Secret to a Balanced Life: Finding God's Refreshing Priorities for You
  • Family Vocation: God's Calling In Marriage, Parenting, And Childhood
  • Lord, Is It Warfare? Teach Me to Stand: A Devotional Study on Spiritual Victory
  • Unfinished: Believing Is Only the Beginning
  • The Will of God as a Way of Life: How to Make Every Decision with Peace and Confidence
  • Change Your Heart, Change Your Life: How Changing What You Believe Will Give You the Great Life You've Always Wanted
  • Mended: Pieces of a Life Made Whole