Start by marking “Bug Off! Creepy, Crawly Poems” as Want to Read:
Bug Off! Creepy, Crawly Poems

Bug Off! Creepy, Crawly Poems

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  39 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
In Bug Off! readers meet thirteen bugs in playful, humorous poems and startling, intimate photographs. Nonfiction prose paragraphs broaden the perspective: Children will learn how bees make honey, that many butterflies can taste food with their feet, that lovebugs can fly higher than the Empire State Building, and much more. The subjects will be familiar to kids—a fly, pra ...more
Published April 2012 by WordSong

To ask other readers questions about Bug Off! Creepy, Crawly Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bug Off! Creepy, Crawly Poems

April
Jun 26, 2015 April rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
1. Ace Lacewing Bug Detective: The Big Swat by David Biedrzycki 2012
2. I chose this twin text because it is a great engaging story about a bug detective. After learning about different types of insects, this is a fun book to read and look for bugs that we just learned about in this mystery who-done-it book!
3. Text Structure: Combination
-I love this book because it is a description of different bugs, but with each bug, there is a fun, short poem about that bug. This is an intermediate book (3rd-
Barbara
Mar 28, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it
If you don't become a fan of insects or at least appreciate them more after reading these 13 poems and gasping at the wonderful accompanying photographs, then nothing will make you change your mind about those creepy, crawly, but ever-fascinating creatures. Author Jane Yolen's poems are accompanied by brief notes about the insects featured in her lines, many of which are filled with sly observations. In "Oh, Fly," for instance, she addresses a buzzing fly with relief that it has landed somewhere ...more
Relyn
Mar 11, 2016 Relyn rated it liked it
Recommended to Relyn by: Sara Pock, librarian
Shelves: lawsonland, poetry
I had hoped my bug loving students would grab onto this poetry collection, but it was not a big hit. It was hardly used at all during the Poetry Scavenger Hunt.

Lesson Connections
Each February we have a big poetry unit in my classroom. One of the things we do is a Poetry Scavenger Hunt. We have at least 50 poetry books on display in the room and I begin the unit by book talking each book briefly. This takes me at least a week because I read a poem from each book. Then, the kids choose what appea
Karin
Mar 21, 2012 Karin rated it it was amazing
In honor of World Poetry Day (Today, March 21st) I am featuring BUG OFF! CREEPY, CRAWLY POEMS by Jane Yolen.

I'm not a fan of insects and frequently curse their existence when I spend any time outdoors. Mosquitoes seem to love me and will flock to me from miles around. (Sadly, there isn't a poem about a mosquito in this book) But, when I saw that Jane Yolen was the author of these poems I had to take a look. I'm glad I did. The poems are great. The two that stand out for me are: "Oh, Fly" and "PO
Lynn
Apr 18, 2014 Lynn rated it really liked it
Don't know how I missed this when it came out but I love it. Yolen's fun poems have an Ogden Nash feel to them and a text paragraph provides facts about each bug. Jason Stemple's close-up photographs are gorgeous and appealing.
Scott
Sep 04, 2014 Scott rated it liked it
This was pretty well put together, but not really anything that stands out. The photos are nice, as are the poems, but I think they would only really appeal to a lover of insects.
Bill Gordon
Oct 02, 2014 Bill Gordon rated it really liked it
Funny poems about bugs coupled with informative essays about the actual insects. Great color photos.
Emilia
Jun 09, 2012 Emilia rated it it was amazing
Confusious is quoted for saying that 'Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.' In this book we get a close-up look at some amazing bugs who most of us never really take the time to appreciate. We get to see their impressive characteristics and read unique facts about each of them. What makes the book excellent to me, is that in every page there is also a short poem dedicated to each bug. Some poems are gross, some are funny, but all are a joy to read.
Jeanne Mcpeak
Aug 20, 2013 Jeanne Mcpeak rated it it was amazing
This is a book of cute bug themed poetry for children. High quality photographs of bugs cover a whole page and accompany the poems. A short excerpt of information about the bug is also included with the poem. A good read for young bug enthusiasts and poets alike.
Donalyn
Beautiful photographs, but the poems and accompanying information were a mix of good and just OK. My favorite poem was "An Army of Ants" because I liked the images of ants writing up a list of workers' demands.
Pauline
Dec 23, 2013 Pauline rated it really liked it
Robby and I had a BLAST taking turns reading the poems and the informational paragraphs. This book is a lot of fun for those bug-lovers out there!
Sharon Lawler
Apr 12, 2013 Sharon Lawler rated it really liked it
Each poem is devoted to one insect, and is accompanied by a close-up photograph and a few interesting facts. Beautiful double spread layout for each bug.
Karen Pajot
A collection of informative poems about insects. This would be great for learning how to write poetry and for learning about insects.
Edward Sullivan
Mar 21, 2012 Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Great collection of poems and photographs.
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Lesley Burnap
Lesley Burnap marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Jana
Jana marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Becky
Becky added it
Jul 28, 2015
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2015
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Deepti
Deepti marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Annemarie
Annemarie rated it really liked it
May 13, 2015
Maura
Maura marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more
More about Jane Yolen...