Start by marking “Whatever Became of the Squishies (Book One)” as Want to Read:
Whatever Became of the Squishies (Book One)
Preview

Whatever Became of the Squishies (Whatever Became of the Squishies #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  18 reviews
SHE'S JUST INHERITED SUPERPOWERS, OF...ER, SARCASM?

She's wild and outspoken. Trouble follows Carla Mainston wherever she goes. But what do you expect from a purple outcast living in a green colony? She's the last girl on the planet who should be inheriting special powers.

If that wasn't bad enough, there's a deadly disease spreading faster than a dirty joke in the playgroun
Published December 7th 2011 by Ragz Books (first published August 30th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Whatever Became of the Squishies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whatever Became of the Squishies

Ceri Clark
I just finished what became of the squishies and I have to say, I really loved this book. It’s not because it was well-written although that helps but because it’s nice to read something different.

It is a very clever concept with characters that you grow to love through the book. There is humour, adventure and justice at the end.

It is clearly written for a younger audience as the heroine goes to school but it is suitable for anyone who enjoys a really good sci-fi/fantasy story.

Look beyond the al
Jay Wilson
An amazing and stunning story, well written and excellently deployed! Chilton tells tale that brings you right into the characters world, and you are naturally brought into the feel of the book instead of being force-fed your emotions, whether its comedy (intended or not), fear, sadness, etc. If you enjoy young adult fantasy, don't pass this one up!
Eileen Gormley
Great fun read. This is the book that's getting my eleven year old reading and enjoying it. She has now developed an obsession with purple aliens and cleaning products.
Kaitlin R.
I liked this book. I really did. It had a lot of silliness and interesting things to say. I think I would have liked it more if I was a teenager but you know, that's not the author's fault at all. I had two problems with this book: there were typos and words errors, and quite a few of them. But it was also all written very briskly. Things would move really fast and then things would move really slow. Information would be thrown a little suddenly, or not quite at the right time, or there'd simply ...more
Elizabeth
Carla is a purple girl who lives in a green world called Derombi. In Derombi, everything is green; skin color, eye color, furniture and furnishings - everything. So, it goes without saying that Carla does not fit into her world at all. She feels as if her life is yet to begin and that she has a greater purpose, but she is stuck in a world where her mother cleans and polishes the oven everyday and her brother is perfect in every way. Then a mysterious illness affects all the young people in Derom ...more
Donna
This was a really good book from start to finish, and had some great unexpected plot twists. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys teen fantasy books, but also anyone who likes a bit of rebellion in their heroes. Vibrantly, colorful reading!
Connie Jasperson
i love the premise - the only purple girl in a land of green people - where the only work is cleaning and soap products. I would highly recommend this tale to any one!
Katie Pearson
A great book, I loved it!

Not for those who are as serious as cereal, and a must read for everyone else.
Heidi
Whatever became of the squishies? I have no idea either it was never mentioned in this book or it was mentioned so poorly I didn’t notice.

I don’t mean to be harsh I really don’t, I understand that it takes a lot of effort and creativity to wright a book, and I thank this author for coming up with what is an interesting idea for a novel. However I did not like this book at all. I couldn’t find anything to connect to or anything I found interesting.

Characters, there were too many of them and non
B. McMichael
I would recommend this book. While most science fiction tends to be heavy due to the excessive science, this had a more fun feel to it.

Carla is purple in a society filled with green skinned people. She always thought it was just a fluke, a genetic anomaly. Turns out she is not from Derobmi, but from Rhecknaw, where people are purple skinned. That is not the only difference, but will what Carla learns help her save her brother or not?

As in most science fiction, this is set in a different world.
Emma
At the risk of flinging myself into the grumpy older reader category, my biggest complaint about this adolescent fantasy is that it is, ahem, a bit too adolescent. I am a big fan of the genre, and chose this book because it was in the top 10 Goodreads list for YA fantasy (& I'd read & enjoyed nearly all of the others -- think gorgeous Richelle Mead & Cassandra Clare). Sadly, this is not in their class. It shows lots of promise by way of character development & originality & p ...more
Buffybot
This is like Stephen King's Sleepwalkers, only better!

This original story about Carla Mainston, a purple girl living in a colony where everyone is green, really grabbed me. She goes to school where they teach you how to clean. I could relate to her not fitting in. She's a bit of a rebel and I love that about her.

My favorite part is about the threat that she might end up having the life sucked out of her by her new boyfriend. I can't wait to read the second book.
Alison Moore
I really enjoyed this book; it was funny, original and there was never a dull moment. It's an urban fantasy that I just couldn't put down. The main character is a fiesty purple girl living in an OCD green colony, and she really doesn't fit in. I loved the social satire and the strange sci-fi setting in the book. It's a great young adult fantasy, which makes you giggle a lot.
Heidi
I would have given it 2 but it was different and original. The story seemed to not grasp me.It is almost like it went quickly and seemed glossed over. It needed more detail and development. The author didn't envelop me in that world. I still felt like an outsider.
Anjie Kendall
I enjoyed this book, it was well written and the premise behind it was a good one. I just don't think I enjoyed it enough to read any further in the series.
Emily Johnson
It took me a few chapters to get into it and there were a lot of different characters. In the end they all fit together and I couldn't put it down.
Charlotte Harris
Aug 30, 2011 Charlotte Harris rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy readers and young adults
Recommended to Charlotte by: My book club
I adored this book, it's exciting, bizarre and highly addictive reading. A must read for any age, if you like sci fantasy or ya fiction. Love it!
Sandra
Original idea but lacked something in the execution.
Cindy C.F.
Cindy C.F. marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Autumn
Autumn marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Cierra
Cierra marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Ana Lelis
Ana Lelis marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Creola
Creola marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Maddie
Maddie marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 09, 2015 08:50AM
Goodreads Librari...: A Locked Book Cover 10 43 Mar 21, 2012 10:09AM
Young Adult Ficti...: Free Urban Fantasy 5 27 Feb 03, 2012 11:48AM
  • Psych Investigation Episodes: Episode 1
  • Eternal Spring
  • Broken: A Paranormal Romance
  • Pyxis: The Discovery (Pyxis, #1)
  • Wolf Medicine
  • Traitor (Bridger, #2)
  • Barely Human
  • Don't Fear the Reaper (Netherworld, #1)
  • This Brilliant Darkness
  • Fairy Metal Thunder (Songs of Magic, #1)
  • Grave Secrets (Deadtime Stories , #8)
  • My Enchanted Life
  • The Childe (The Childe, #1)
  • Exiled
  • The Strange Case of Doctor Jekyll & Mademoiselle Odile
  • Ink
  • Zombie Dog (Rotten Apple #2)
  • Snow, Blood, and Envy

After completing her honors degree in English Literature, Claire Chilton was interviewed to work for MI5. Fortunately, for the sake of the United Kingdom, she did not get the job. Now a web designer and graphic designer with a passion for great stories, she writes about the adventures she'd like to have.

A prolific writer with wide-ranging interests, Claire specializes in romantic and speculative f

More about Claire Chilton...

Whatever Became of the Squishies (2 books)
  • Shattered
Demonic Dora A Hint of Magic Deceased Dora Shattered Frenzied

“Carla had realised there wasn’t just one destined adventure in life, there were thousands of them.” 3 likes