Start by marking “Whatever Became of the Squishies (Book One)” as Want to Read:
Whatever Became of the Squishies (Book One)

Whatever Became of the Squishies (The Outliers #2)

SHE'S JUST INHERITED SUPERPOWERS, OF...ER, SARCASM?

She's wild and outspoken. Trouble follows Carla Mainston wherever she goes. But what do you expect from a purple outcast living in a green colony? She's the last girl on the planet who should be inheriting special powers.

If that wasn't bad enough, there's a deadly disease spreading faster than a dirty joke in the playgroun
Published December 7th 2011 by Ragz Books (first published August 30th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Whatever Became of the Squishies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whatever Became of the Squishies

Ceri Clark
I just finished what became of the squishies and I have to say, I really loved this book. It’s not because it was well-written although that helps but because it’s nice to read something different.

It is a very clever concept with characters that you grow to love through the book. There is humour, adventure and justice at the end.

It is clearly written for a younger audience as the heroine goes to school but it is suitable for anyone who enjoys a really good sci-fi/fantasy story.

Look beyond the al
Jay Wilson
Jun 14, 2011 Jay Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing and stunning story, well written and excellently deployed! Chilton tells tale that brings you right into the characters world, and you are naturally brought into the feel of the book instead of being force-fed your emotions, whether its comedy (intended or not), fear, sadness, etc. If you enjoy young adult fantasy, don't pass this one up!
Eileen Gormley
Jan 30, 2012 Eileen Gormley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great fun read. This is the book that's getting my eleven year old reading and enjoying it. She has now developed an obsession with purple aliens and cleaning products.
Kaitlin R.
Jun 16, 2012 Kaitlin R. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. I really did. It had a lot of silliness and interesting things to say. I think I would have liked it more if I was a teenager but you know, that's not the author's fault at all. I had two problems with this book: there were typos and words errors, and quite a few of them. But it was also all written very briskly. Things would move really fast and then things would move really slow. Information would be thrown a little suddenly, or not quite at the right time, or there'd simply ...more
Donna
This was a really good book from start to finish, and had some great unexpected plot twists. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys teen fantasy books, but also anyone who likes a bit of rebellion in their heroes. Vibrantly, colorful reading!
Katie Pearson
A great book, I loved it!

Not for those who are as serious as cereal, and a must read for everyone else.
Connie Jasperson
i love the premise - the only purple girl in a land of green people - where the only work is cleaning and soap products. I would highly recommend this tale to any one!
Heidi
Mar 31, 2014 Heidi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Whatever became of the squishies? I have no idea either it was never mentioned in this book or it was mentioned so poorly I didn’t notice.

I don’t mean to be harsh I really don’t, I understand that it takes a lot of effort and creativity to wright a book, and I thank this author for coming up with what is an interesting idea for a novel. However I did not like this book at all. I couldn’t find anything to connect to or anything I found interesting.

Characters, there were too many of them and non
B. McMichael
Aug 17, 2012 B. McMichael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would recommend this book. While most science fiction tends to be heavy due to the excessive science, this had a more fun feel to it.

Carla is purple in a society filled with green skinned people. She always thought it was just a fluke, a genetic anomaly. Turns out she is not from Derobmi, but from Rhecknaw, where people are purple skinned. That is not the only difference, but will what Carla learns help her save her brother or not?

As in most science fiction, this is set in a different world.
Big Book Theory
May 10, 2014 Big Book Theory rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carla is a purple girl who lives in a green world called Derombi. In Derombi, everything is green; skin color, eye color, furniture and furnishings - everything. So, it goes without saying that Carla does not fit into her world at all. She feels as if her life is yet to begin and that she has a greater purpose, but she is stuck in a world where her mother cleans and polishes the oven everyday and her brother is perfect in every way. Then a mysterious illness affects all the young people in Derom ...more
Terra Reads
Nov 30, 2015 Terra Reads rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
I actually rate this book about a 4.5/5 stars, I really loved that you got a real feeling for Carla and the other characters of the book. I love that there was a real story to it - and not just a short story (like the first book, Detention) I loved everything about this book - I loved the story-line and where it went with the plot and the characters, I was hanging onto this book while I read. I wanted to know more. I am very pleased that Claire was able to work with the story and do so much more ...more
Emma
At the risk of flinging myself into the grumpy older reader category, my biggest complaint about this adolescent fantasy is that it is, ahem, a bit too adolescent. I am a big fan of the genre, and chose this book because it was in the top 10 Goodreads list for YA fantasy (& I'd read & enjoyed nearly all of the others -- think gorgeous Richelle Mead & Cassandra Clare). Sadly, this is not in their class. It shows lots of promise by way of character development & originality & p ...more
Buffybot
This is like Stephen King's Sleepwalkers, only better!

This original story about Carla Mainston, a purple girl living in a colony where everyone is green, really grabbed me. She goes to school where they teach you how to clean. I could relate to her not fitting in. She's a bit of a rebel and I love that about her.

My favorite part is about the threat that she might end up having the life sucked out of her by her new boyfriend. I can't wait to read the second book.
Alison Moore
I really enjoyed this book; it was funny, original and there was never a dull moment. It's an urban fantasy that I just couldn't put down. The main character is a fiesty purple girl living in an OCD green colony, and she really doesn't fit in. I loved the social satire and the strange sci-fi setting in the book. It's a great young adult fantasy, which makes you giggle a lot.
Heidi
Apr 17, 2012 Heidi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have given it 2 but it was different and original. The story seemed to not grasp me.It is almost like it went quickly and seemed glossed over. It needed more detail and development. The author didn't envelop me in that world. I still felt like an outsider.
Sandra
Dec 25, 2014 Sandra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Original idea but lacked something in the execution.
Emily Johnson
Nov 03, 2012 Emily Johnson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It took me a few chapters to get into it and there were a lot of different characters. In the end they all fit together and I couldn't put it down.
Anjie Kendall
I enjoyed this book, it was well written and the premise behind it was a good one. I just don't think I enjoyed it enough to read any further in the series.
Charlotte Harris
Aug 15, 2011 Charlotte Harris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy readers and young adults
Recommended to Charlotte by: My book club
I adored this book, it's exciting, bizarre and highly addictive reading. A must read for any age, if you like sci fantasy or ya fiction. Love it!
Joanne
Joanne rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2011
Scarls
Scarls rated it did not like it
Nov 12, 2014
Kenenne Okafor
Kenenne Okafor rated it did not like it
Apr 18, 2015
Rachael
Rachael rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2012
Michael Davies
Michael Davies rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2012
Aikoanzvaigzne
Aikoanzvaigzne rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2015
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2013
Key
Key rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2013
Isabella
Isabella rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2012
Anverie
Anverie rated it it was ok
May 28, 2014
dennis kah swee ngo
dennis kah swee ngo rated it did not like it
Jan 24, 2016
  • Eternal Spring
  • Broken
  • My Enchanted Life
  • Wolf Medicine
  • Grave Secrets (Deadtime Stories, #8)
  • Barely Human
  • Don't Fear the Reaper (Netherworld, #1)
  • This Brilliant Darkness
  • Fairy Metal Thunder (Songs of Magic, #1)
  • The Childe (The Childe, #1)
  • Exiled
  • Pandora's Box (The Road to Hell #1)
  • Chameleon
  • Chosen by Fate (Para-Ops, #2)
  • Snow, Blood, and Envy
  • Ink
  • The Discovery (Pyxis, #1)

After completing her honors degree in English Literature, Claire Chilton was interviewed to work for MI5. Fortunately, for the sake of the United Kingdom, she did not get the job. Now a web designer and graphic designer with a passion for great stories, she writes about the adventures she'd like to have.

A prolific writer with wide-ranging interests, Claire specializes in romantic and speculative f

More about Claire Chilton...

The Outliers (3 books)
  • Detention (The Outliers #1)
  • Shattered (The Outliers, #3)

“Carla had realised there wasn’t just one destined adventure in life, there were thousands of them.” 3 likes