Start by marking “Shades: Eight Tales of Terror” as Want to Read:
Shades: Eight Tales of Terror

Shades: Eight Tales of Terror

Here there be ghosts...

Within these pages lurks a cast of phantoms who have returned from the grave with a vengeance. You will find no friendly ghosts here, just eight deathly horrors with their own personal bones to pick with the living. These are the ghosts of our nightmares. Whether driven by madness, vengeance, pain, bloody evil, or primordial rage...they are all spect
Published March 18th 2012 by Amazon DTP (first published February 8th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Shades, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shades

Matthew Baker
Mar 08, 2013 Matthew Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author D. Nathan Hilliard has a knack for knowing what readers want. I have read two of his previous books (the reviews of which died, unfortunately, when my blog crashed at the end of December), and let me tell you: they do not disappoint. The same can be said for SHADES, a collection of unique and terrifying ghost stories.

SHADES is one of those books that you’ll read over and over again, simply because the tales are that enjoyable. The stories are unique and filled with thrills and chills. I
Christian
Nov 27, 2014 Christian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven’t read or heard about any good ghost stories in awhile (Not even during Halloween)
Look for a good book to fill that finite void, I came across D. Nathan Hillard’s Shades: Eight Tale of Terror.

The cover is what really caught my eyes. (What could be more spooking than the face of a pale white innocent twofaced beauty, which lacked any emotion… whatsoever.

As I was reading the book, I couldn’t help but get up from my seat and cuddle up (BITE ME HATERS) in my pillow top, blue sheet cover bed.
Kara
Nov 28, 2013 Kara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was a kid I loved a book called “Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark”- it was full of rotten limbs and howling corpses and ghosts that did a lot more than rattle chains in the attic. The stories were creepy and surreal and so much fun to read. Shades: Eight Tales of Terror is exactly like that book, but for grown-ups. And I loved it.
In the author notes, D. Nathan Hilliard laments the death of the good old fashioned ghost story. To fill the void he presents his scary stories in this eight st
Brandy
Aug 20, 2014 Brandy rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Each story was different. The girl on the front cover, is the ghost in the last story. I really appreciate that the author took it upon himself to find a subject, ghosts, that were not as popular as the current apocalyptic zombies, vampires, werewolves, faeries, romances were at the time. I'd tell you which was my favorite, but I honestly cannot pick just one. This is not hard core, bloody horror, but it's the build ups that creep up on you in most stories.
kathleen detherow
Apr 27, 2014 kathleen detherow rated it it was amazing
Great scary read

Great scary read

remember sitting around a campfire telling ghost stories and the tension in the air was thicker than the smoke from the fire?Well all that's missing here is the campfire because these are great stories that deserve their place around your next campfire,goosebumps and all.
Heaven Riendeau
Sep 25, 2014 Heaven Riendeau rated it it was amazing
New favorite!!!!!

best book I have read in a long time. did it's job scaring the crap out of me. I was talking totally surprised as that never happens. good mix of scary and interesting. I liked that it was a rollercoaster ride with ups and downs without leaving me hanging.
Jeff McIntosh
Jeff McIntosh rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Martha Carroll
Martha Carroll rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2014
Brittany Cadden
Brittany Cadden rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2015
Gina Clark
Gina Clark rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2015
Redvil
Nov 15, 2015 Redvil rated it really liked it
A great collection of creepy, short stories.
Lynn
Lynn rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2014
Connie Lewis
Connie Lewis rated it liked it
May 19, 2014
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Tina Saldiran
Tina Saldiran rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2014
John Mccrory
John Mccrory rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2013
Jeanine
Oct 17, 2015 Jeanine rated it really liked it
Ghosts.. Revenants.. Spooky spirit stories done well.
LA Brown
LA Brown rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2014
Frank
Frank rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2014
Jeana Moralez norris
Jeana Moralez norris rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2015
Journie
Journie rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2015
Stephanie Hilliard
Stephanie Hilliard rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2014
Diane T.
Diane T. rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2015
JD
JD rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2015
Stacy
Stacy rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2015
Joshua Palmer
Joshua Palmer rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2016
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2014
kitty
kitty rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2014
Deborah Sastroredjo
Deborah Sastroredjo rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Leslie
Leslie rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2015