Start by marking “Maigret In Court” as Want to Read:
Maigret In Court

Maigret In Court (Maigret #55)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  187 ratings  ·  25 reviews
'I was not satisifed with the results obtained.'

Maigret felt surly. He was already dreaming of retirement on the Loire, and here he was having to explain to the Assize Court why he hadn't closed the investigation when the case went to the Grand Jury - the case against Gaston Meurant. It was quite simple: the facts didn't fit the characters. You couldn't (if you knew him as
Paperback, 1st Penguin Edition, 112 pages
Published 1965 by Penguin (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Maigret In Court, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maigret In Court

Tfitoby
Take a love triangle featuring two brothers and a wife who likes to sleep around, take a relative who's quite old with a quantity of cash hidden in her apartment, take a detective who isn't satisfied that the right man has been charged with a crime, take any one of these concepts and you're sure to find some trashy melodrama written or filmed based around them. It takes somebody talented, somebody with a gift, somebody like Georges Simenon, to turn it in to something more, something better, some ...more
From Tout Simenon:
En Cour d'assises, à la barre des témoins, Maigret rend compte de l'enquête qu'il a menée huit mois auparavant à propos du meurtre d'une vieille dame et de sa petite pensionnaire, meurtre qui a permis au coupable de s'emparer d'une somme importante. Une accusation anonyme, des taches de sang sur un costume, une traite urgente à payer, autant d'indices qui ont permis à la police d'inculper l'encadreur Gaston Meurant du meurtre de sa tante, Léontine Faverges, et de la petite Céci
arcobaleno
Intermezzo...
Fa respirare un’aria tranquilla, rasserenante e familiare, nonostante il duplice efferato omicidio; nonostante la stanchezza di Maigret, alle soglie della pensione; e nonostante le atmosfere malinconiche che l’Ispettore sembra riflettere, immedesimandosi negli ambienti stessi degli indagati, alla ricerca delle più intime motivazioni e di una ricostruzione, dal profondo, del crimine.
Gradito intermezzo di lettura (in una vecchia edizione "Oscar Mondadori" tutta scompaginata), che mi
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Somewhat obliquely framed as a courtroom drama followed by a tale of pursuit in which the action mostly takes place offstage, once the pieces fall into place this is a classic Maigret mystery in which the solving of the puzzle seems to take second place to the unravelling of another dark tale of human frailty.
Rhys
The eleventh 'Maigret' novel I have read and at first I regarded it as the weakest so far. This was entirely because the novel begins with a lengthy courtroom scene and I just don't particularly like courtroom scenes. But once the action moved away from the courtroom it regained all the excellence of Simenon's unique brand of genius and the tension in the final two chapters became quite extraordinary. Still not my favourite Maigret but good nonetheless... (My favourites to date are The Hanged Ma ...more
Seth Lynch
This book was published in 1960 along with three others. Four books in a year was not an unusual occurrence for Georges Simenon. He has claimed that he could write a novel in eleven days. Those days were spent locked in a study where he would go into a frenzied trance and live out the book. I’m not sure I believe him – the books I have read of his seem too well written to have been churned out in eleven days. He produced something like two-hundred novels over his life time, along with another co ...more
Owen
I am a little embarrassed to say that I read much of this while half cut, so my memory of the plot is a little hazy. But I enjoy the Maigret novels more for the atmosphere and the incidental description than for the plots which, even with my limited experience of them, are a bit formulaic.

Unlike more modern detective stories, the police, including Maigret himself, are all earthy but morally unblemished characters. None of the moral ambivalence and tortured ethical dilemmas of a Kojak or the poli
Jason Shaffner
Taut and fun. My first Maigret but not my last. Lots of strong dialogue in the courtroom and a tense quasi-chase as an acquitted man seeks vengeance. There are flaws -- I was mystified that the trial was happening if there was no proof AND the police thought the accused innocent. But I loved how much story I found in this slender volume...
Sara
Fredsky
Another wonderful Simenon, rich in every way. Petit Louis is a small-time crook on the French Riviera, good looking, excellent at playing bowls and performing card tricks, confident, happy being a 27-year old lower-tier hoodlum. But somewhere between his older woman, his girlfriend, a gang of heavier criminals, various corrupt cops and officials, concierges, the old woman's weekly lover, and the girl next door, Petit Louis finds himself accused of something he would never do--probably. When the ...more
Nicki
Another ok story. This one was 55th in the maigret series whereas the other one I read was 2nd
Tim Diggles
Simenon is a great favourite of mine and luckily I found I hadn't read this Maigret. I love the feel of these books, the writing is measured, it wouldn't do for the short stubby writing today. What I love is that actually the plot matters very little (I hate plot), there is of course a story there, quite a strong story of jealousy and unfulfilled lives. Maigret looks on with an understanding that life is not always happy. Very usefully there is a list of all the Maigret novels in the back, how m ...more
Andreea
A bit different from others in the series, so kind of refreshing.
John Defrog
In which Chief Inspector Maigret is indeed in court, testifying to his investigation into the murder of a woman and her daughter. The twist: he’s just not convinced the suspect is capable of the murder despite the evidence against him. As usual, what looks a pretty straightforward case turns out to be anything but, as Simenon reveals why Maigret has misgivings, and what he has intended all along to do about it. Short, sweet, and a serious page-turner by the middle of the book.
Mikee
"A murder (of course) of an old woman and a child. The suspect is arrested and Maigret has to testify. But then he takes on the role of a grand observer, watching everything, controlling nothing, until - inevitably - the Truth emerges.
A bit unnerving, because another death might have been prevented."
Mike
This Maigret stands out a bit from some others for a couple of reasons -- namely, the description of the parallels between the court system and religious ritual, as well as because in the last 20 pages or so the book transforms almost into a roman dur (Simenon's "hard novels," as opposed to the Maigrets).
Reena Datta
The only reason I am giving it four stars is because it's not the best Simenon I've read but I enjoyed it nonetheless! It felt like it maybe one of the last of the inspector maigret series. Will have to check on that. He is thinking about his retirement plans and has even bought a house in the country!
Wilde Sky
A man appears in court charged with the murder of his aunt and a small child, but the police officer in charge of the case casts down on the man’s guilt.

The book, even though short, has an intrigue story that twists and turns. The writing is good and the characters are well developed.
Dvora
Good one. All the Inspector Maigret stories are good only some are even better than others. The characters were good as was the ending. This was on my regular shelf among many other Maigrets so I thought I had read it before, but not a single thing about it was familiar!
Ed
A petty criminal is wrongly accused of killing a woman he is living off of. Not much of a character study. Perhaps it was meant as a critique of the French legal system. Rather mechanically constructed. Just shows Simenon didn't hit the bull's eye every time.
Sasha
Because this story begins in court, a few months after the original case, it lacks a lot of the atmosphere and character that are the hallmarks of most Maigret novels. Also the puzzle qualities of this story are minimal, and the end is a bit anticlimactic.
Karen
I don't read French so I missed a lot in this book. the main character is Petit Louis, which to me meant he was a small, diminutive man. His character was actually a slick, street-smart con man, so I had trouble reconciling the two.
Mel
Enjoyable, as usual... the comfort of a familiar character in Inspector Maigret, and the spare, evocative writing of Simenon.
Estelle
Estelle marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Émilie Deschamps
Émilie Deschamps marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Nestor Burma: Brouillard au pont de Tolbiac
  • The Glass Sided Ant's Nest
  • Bloody Streets of Paris
  • The Fabulous Clipjoint
  • The Wings of the Sphinx (Inspector Montalbano, #11)
  • Le perfezioni provvisorie
  • Of Tender Sin
  • The Moving Toyshop (Gervase Fen, #3)
  • The Man on the Balcony (Martin Beck, #3)
  • Meurtres pour mémoire
  • The Murder at the Vicarage
  • Sans feu ni lieu
  • More Beer
  • Tragedy at Law (Francis Pettigrew, #1)
  • La cura del gorilla
  • Περαίωση (Η Τριλογία της Κρίσεως, #2 )
  • Death in August
  • Beast In View
Simenon was one of the most prolific writers of the twentieth century, capable of writing 60 to 80 pages per day. His oeuvre includes nearly 200 novels, over 150 novellas, several autobiographical works, numerous articles, and scores of pulp novels written under more than two dozen pseudonyms. Altogether, about 550 million copies of his works have been printed.

He is best known, however, for his 75
More about Georges Simenon...

Maigret (1 - 10 of 74 books)
  • Pietr the Latvian (Maigret, #1)
  • The Carter of 'La Providence' (Maigret, #2)
  • The Late Monsieur Gallet (Maigret, #3)
  • The Hanged Man of Saint-Pholien (Maigret, #4)
  • A Man's Head
  • The Yellow Dog
  • The Night at the Crossroads
  • A Crime in Holland
  • The Grand Banks Café
  • The Dancer at the Gai-Moulin
Dirty Snow The Man Who Watched Trains Go By The Yellow Dog Pietr the Latvian (Maigret, #1) The Strangers in the House