Start by marking “Maigret In Court” as Want to Read:
Maigret In Court

Maigret In Court (Maigret #55)

'I was not satisifed with the results obtained.'

Maigret felt surely. He was already dreaming of retirement on the Loire, and here he was having to explain to the Assize Court why he hadn't closed the investigation when the case went to the Grand Jury - the case against Gaston Meurant. It was quite simple: the facts didn't fit the characters. You couldn't (if you knew him a
Paperback, 1st Penguin Edition, 112 pages
Published 1965 by Penguin (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Maigret In Court, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maigret In Court

Tfitoby
Mar 20, 2012 Tfitoby rated it it was amazing
Take a love triangle featuring two brothers and a wife who likes to sleep around, take a relative who's quite old with a quantity of cash hidden in her apartment, take a detective who isn't satisfied that the right man has been charged with a crime, take any one of these concepts and you're sure to find some trashy melodrama written or filmed based around them. It takes somebody talented, somebody with a gift, somebody like Georges Simenon, to turn it in to something more, something better, some ...more
Tony
MAIGRET IN COURT. (1960). Georges Simenon. ***.
Maigret has been called as a witness in a case involving murder and theft. A woman was killed in her apartment; she had her throat cut. What has gotten the populace really aroused, however, was the murder of a four-year-old girl who was also in the apartment at the time. She was killed by being smothered to death. The reason for these horrific murders was robbery. The woman used to keep all her money and securities in the bottom of a Chinese vase sh
From Tout Simenon:
En Cour d'assises, à la barre des témoins, Maigret rend compte de l'enquête qu'il a menée huit mois auparavant à propos du meurtre d'une vieille dame et de sa petite pensionnaire, meurtre qui a permis au coupable de s'emparer d'une somme importante. Une accusation anonyme, des taches de sang sur un costume, une traite urgente à payer, autant d'indices qui ont permis à la police d'inculper l'encadreur Gaston Meurant du meurtre de sa tante, Léontine Faverges, et de la petite Céci
arcobaleno
Intermezzo...
Fa respirare un’aria tranquilla, rasserenante e familiare, nonostante il duplice efferato omicidio; nonostante la stanchezza di Maigret, alle soglie della pensione; e nonostante le atmosfere malinconiche che l’Ispettore sembra riflettere, immedesimandosi negli ambienti stessi degli indagati, alla ricerca delle più intime motivazioni e di una ricostruzione, dal profondo, del crimine.
Gradito intermezzo di lettura (in una vecchia edizione "Oscar Mondadori" tutta scompaginata), che mi
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Somewhat obliquely framed as a courtroom drama followed by a tale of pursuit in which the action mostly takes place offstage, once the pieces fall into place this is a classic Maigret mystery in which the solving of the puzzle seems to take second place to the unravelling of another dark tale of human frailty.
Dan Cooley
Aug 28, 2016 Dan Cooley rated it really liked it
One of his best ones.
Seth Lynch
Feb 26, 2012 Seth Lynch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, french, maigret
This book was published in 1960 along with three others. Four books in a year was not an unusual occurrence for Georges Simenon. He has claimed that he could write a novel in eleven days. Those days were spent locked in a study where he would go into a frenzied trance and live out the book. I’m not sure I believe him – the books I have read of his seem too well written to have been churned out in eleven days. He produced something like two-hundred novels over his life time, along with another co ...more
Mark Pearce
I liked the book but I think the stories lack action. Everything is done at a slow pace. Maigret is quite cerebral and doesn't always explain why he does what he does. I think it will be some time until I read another. Didn't hate it by any means but with so many good books by good authors on my to read list these will take a back seat from now.
Owen
Aug 08, 2013 Owen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a little embarrassed to say that I read much of this while half cut, so my memory of the plot is a little hazy. But I enjoy the Maigret novels more for the atmosphere and the incidental description than for the plots which, even with my limited experience of them, are a bit formulaic.

Unlike more modern detective stories, the police, including Maigret himself, are all earthy but morally unblemished characters. None of the moral ambivalence and tortured ethical dilemmas of a Kojak or the poli
Fredsky
Jan 25, 2009 Fredsky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful Simenon, rich in every way. Petit Louis is a small-time crook on the French Riviera, good looking, excellent at playing bowls and performing card tricks, confident, happy being a 27-year old lower-tier hoodlum. But somewhere between his older woman, his girlfriend, a gang of heavier criminals, various corrupt cops and officials, concierges, the old woman's weekly lover, and the girl next door, Petit Louis finds himself accused of something he would never do--probably. When the ...more
Sara
Dec 12, 2010 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rhys
Sep 13, 2014 Rhys rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The eleventh 'Maigret' novel I have read and at first I regarded it as the weakest so far. This was entirely because the novel begins with a lengthy courtroom scene and I just don't particularly like courtroom scenes. But once the action moved away from the courtroom it regained all the excellence of Simenon's unique brand of genius and the tension in the final two chapters became quite extraordinary. Still not my favourite Maigret but good nonetheless... (My favourites to date are The Hanged Ma ...more
Tim Diggles
Nov 27, 2013 Tim Diggles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simenon is a great favourite of mine and luckily I found I hadn't read this Maigret. I love the feel of these books, the writing is measured, it wouldn't do for the short stubby writing today. What I love is that actually the plot matters very little (I hate plot), there is of course a story there, quite a strong story of jealousy and unfulfilled lives. Maigret looks on with an understanding that life is not always happy. Very usefully there is a list of all the Maigret novels in the back, how m ...more
John Defrog
May 08, 2013 John Defrog rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In which Chief Inspector Maigret is indeed in court, testifying to his investigation into the murder of a woman and her daughter. The twist: he’s just not convinced the suspect is capable of the murder despite the evidence against him. As usual, what looks a pretty straightforward case turns out to be anything but, as Simenon reveals why Maigret has misgivings, and what he has intended all along to do about it. Short, sweet, and a serious page-turner by the middle of the book.
Reena Datta
Mar 10, 2013 Reena Datta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only reason I am giving it four stars is because it's not the best Simenon I've read but I enjoyed it nonetheless! It felt like it maybe one of the last of the inspector maigret series. Will have to check on that. He is thinking about his retirement plans and has even bought a house in the country!
Jason Shaffner
May 08, 2014 Jason Shaffner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Taut and fun. My first Maigret but not my last. Lots of strong dialogue in the courtroom and a tense quasi-chase as an acquitted man seeks vengeance. There are flaws -- I was mystified that the trial was happening if there was no proof AND the police thought the accused innocent. But I loved how much story I found in this slender volume...
Susan
Nov 15, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read several of the Maigret books including this one. They are almost more of psychological studies than who-dun-its but I like them very much. Maybe due to the setting in Paris! And his meals! He drinks any time of day (which I don't) but I find these books entertaining. I love mysteries, if you're one of my peeps, you'll find that out soon.
Mike
Nov 20, 2013 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: maigret
This Maigret stands out a bit from some others for a couple of reasons -- namely, the description of the parallels between the court system and religious ritual, as well as because in the last 20 pages or so the book transforms almost into a roman dur (Simenon's "hard novels," as opposed to the Maigrets).
Mikee
Apr 18, 2012 Mikee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: maigret, simenon
"A murder (of course) of an old woman and a child. The suspect is arrested and Maigret has to testify. But then he takes on the role of a grand observer, watching everything, controlling nothing, until - inevitably - the Truth emerges.
A bit unnerving, because another death might have been prevented."
Dvora
Oct 13, 2013 Dvora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: france
Good one. All the Inspector Maigret stories are good only some are even better than others. The characters were good as was the ending. This was on my regular shelf among many other Maigrets so I thought I had read it before, but not a single thing about it was familiar!
Wilde Sky
Dec 19, 2013 Wilde Sky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A man appears in court charged with the murder of his aunt and a small child, but the police officer in charge of the case casts down on the man’s guilt.

The book, even though short, has an intrigue story that twists and turns. The writing is good and the characters are well developed.
Karen
Jul 15, 2010 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't read French so I missed a lot in this book. the main character is Petit Louis, which to me meant he was a small, diminutive man. His character was actually a slick, street-smart con man, so I had trouble reconciling the two.
Sasha
Nov 09, 2009 Sasha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction, own
Because this story begins in court, a few months after the original case, it lacks a lot of the atmosphere and character that are the hallmarks of most Maigret novels. Also the puzzle qualities of this story are minimal, and the end is a bit anticlimactic.
Ed
Nov 13, 2010 Ed rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A petty criminal is wrongly accused of killing a woman he is living off of. Not much of a character study. Perhaps it was meant as a critique of the French legal system. Rather mechanically constructed. Just shows Simenon didn't hit the bull's eye every time.
Helen
Mar 31, 2011 Helen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nasty end
Mel
Jun 23, 2007 Mel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: readin2007
Enjoyable, as usual... the comfort of a familiar character in Inspector Maigret, and the spare, evocative writing of Simenon.
Andreea
Jul 18, 2014 Andreea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit different from others in the series, so kind of refreshing.
Jan
Sep 28, 2015 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: maigret
Meer een psychologische dan een echt spannende roman dit keer.
Paved Walks

• Beast In View
  • The Murder at the Vicarage
  • Comeback (Parker, #17)
  • One Man, One Murder
Simenon was one of the most prolific writers of the twentieth century, capable of writing 60 to 80 pages per day. His oeuvre includes nearly 200 novels, over 150 novellas, several autobiographical works, numerous articles, and scores of pulp novels written under more than two dozen pseudonyms. Altogether, about 550 million copies of his works have been printed.

He is best known, however, for his 75
More about Georges Simenon...

Maigret (1 - 10 of 75 books)
  • Pietr the Latvian (Maigret, #1)
  • The Carter of 'La Providence' (Maigret, #2)
  • The Late Monsieur Gallet (Maigret, #3)
  • The Hanged Man of Saint-Pholien (Maigret, #4)
  • A Man's Head (Maigret #5)
  • The Yellow Dog (Maigret #6)
  • The Night at the Crossroads (Maigret #7)
  • A Crime in Holland (Maigret #8)
  • The Grand Banks Café (Maigret, #9)
  • The Dancer at the Gai-Moulin (Maigret #10)