Start by marking “The Barefoot Bandit: The True Tale of Colton Harris-Moore, New American Outlaw” as Want to Read:
The Barefoot Bandit: The True Tale of Colton Harris-Moore, New American Outlaw

The Barefoot Bandit: The True Tale of Colton Harris-Moore, New American Outlaw

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  334 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
The Barefoot Bandit tells the riveting true story of Colton Harris-Moore, America’s twenty-first-century outlaw. Born into a poor family marred by alcohol abuse, Colt had the local sheriff after him before the age of ten. Colt survived by breaking into homes to forage for food, and learned to evade the police by melting into the Pacific Northwest wilds. As a teenager, he e ...more
Published March 20th 2012 by Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about The Barefoot Bandit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Barefoot Bandit

Matt
Jul 29, 2012 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the good side, this book is a sympathetic portrait of a tragic, likable criminal. You feel like Colton had so much going against him (abusive mother, unstable home, unhelpful school & social services), and fell into more serious crimes step-by-step, yet avoided some of the worst criminalities (drug use, violence, etc.). He's obviously a smart kid and needed better opportunities and guidance. It seems that when he had to steal food to eat because his mother spent all their money on beer an ...more
Perri
Jun 07, 2014 Perri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: old-favorites
Like everyone else on Orcas, I thought I was following this story pretty closely, but I was surprised at how much I didn't know. It's really astonishing this kid is alive! I thought Friel did a bang- up job describing the allure of Orcas, from its quirkiness to the backroom politics. It was fun to read about places I know, people I've talked to... I've been here five years, and learned some new things-the Ditch was an attempt to cut Orcas in two? Huh. The first part of the book is devoted mostl ...more
Tom Hamrick
Jul 23, 2012 Tom Hamrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
absolutely LOVED this book. First off I was totally obsessed with this story while it was going on and this book has so many great details and the writer kept me going to bed wanting to wake up to find out what the kid was up to. Also its a lesson in how bad parenting and broken homes can lead to alot of hidden depression and issues. This boy is a genius and with support and coaching as opposed to getting drunk and beating him up nightly he could have cured something or invented something, his s ...more
Jul 22, 2012 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up because I remembered hearing about this kid evading authorities on Orcas Island by hiding out in the woods back when I was living in Seattle. I slogged through the whole thing because I wanted to know what happened, but wished it were a quarter of the length. The author starts out jumping between 2 or 3 different timelines, and when he settles on a purely chronological one includes way too many background details (for example, about the childhoods of Colton's victims). I have to ...more
Linda
May 29, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing
I read this because it was a local story. I love Orcas Island and was curious about the details the media left out. Can't believe this book is non-fiction. It was so interesting, riveting and exciting. Total page turner.
Nicole
Jan 23, 2016 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first takeaway from this book was: that poor, poor little boy...with his crap-tastic mother, he didn't have a chance. Now that I've finished, I think he's got a better than average chance...IF he can put his incredible intelligence to good use. I'm definitely pulling for him and would enjoy seeing what he may have to write about his misspent youth someday. Speaking of writing, Friel did a great job documenting Colt's escapades this book. With his connection to both the San Juan islands and th ...more
Ian Allan
Jan 27, 2016 Ian Allan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My son gave this book to me for Christmas. It's not one I would have picked; I'm not that interested in Colton Harris-Moore. Even when he was at his peak, I never read the articles in the newspaper (I live in Washington state); I just saw the headlines. But after reading a few pages of this book, I got a lot more interested. Bob Friel has interviewed hundreds of people and gone through hundreds of documents, doing a great job of weaving the whole thing together into a compelling tale.

Friel detai
Cathy O'doherty
May 15, 2013 Cathy O'doherty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read. Very entertaining and interesting. My only complaint is that Friel gives an in-depth background of almost everyone the Bandit encounters. This gets a little tedious. Otherwise I found the book an easy read and quite fascinating.
M
Aug 07, 2014 M rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great story of Colton's life. It's also a somewhat boring story of half the people involved's lives. It was a bit lengthy and probably could've been shortened. A lot of the flying aspect was boring to me although it was explained well for somebody who knew nothing about flying.

All in all, it was enjoyable. I had a few moments of considering putting it down but it held my interest and was a decent read.
Robyn
Jul 10, 2015 Robyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not put it down. The author tells this villain's story in a way that keeps you from feeling like a hypocrite for both wanting to read it and indulging in feelings of empathy.
Matthew Dixon
Jan 02, 2013 Matthew Dixon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of a teenager who went on a crime spree starting in the pacific northwest and conitnuing across the country. Doesn't sound like much but it's really an amazing tale, involving an uneducated but extremely bright boy who evaded bumbling law enforcement for years through his smarts and physicality. Not someone to be admired surely but the story sure is entertaining and does not involve any violence. the author does a good job of laying out the story. He gets a bit self-aggrandizing someti ...more
Christina Dudley
Really enjoyed this page-turning story of the smart kid who sadly had so many strikes against him. Had he enjoyed a safe living place and the company of mentors and loving adults, his tale would have played out so differently. Sounds like the alcoholic mom was villainized, but I got most ticked at the bullying classmates--his mom had an addiction--what was your excuse?

I wish Colton Harris-Moore all the best when he gets out. May he be surrounded by support and use all those smarts and skills for
Phil C
Jun 23, 2014 Phil C rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the book. The author had a personal connection to the incident. Fast moving, well told. I wish Colt all the best after he finds his way.
Marjorie Semmens
Jan 19, 2016 Marjorie Semmens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
read as part of the documentary series with OLLI
Paula
Feb 20, 2015 Paula rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ross followed this case as it was happening, I had never heard of it. While the book was well written, it's not my typical writing style or subject matter.
Kassy Lopez
Feb 04, 2016 Kassy Lopez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing
Kinsey
Jul 10, 2016 Kinsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was an excellent book. Quite a remarkable story, and very well told. Friel did a great job inserting himself into Colt's story and bringing the reader along on the adventure.
Shannon
I remembered hearing about this story on the news. Overall, I liked the book; I found it an interesting read, and a fascinating story. I couldn't help but be somewhat sympathetic toward the kid for everything that he'd been through. I think the book itself could have been condensed. I forced myself to finish it because I hate not finishing a book, but it felt as though the author was repeating himself and dragging it out just to make the book longer.
Kelly Riolo
Jan 04, 2013 Kelly Riolo rated it did not like it
I really have not enjoyed this book. I was expecting to, but feel like every page just tells the same story over and over again. Maybe that's the point. He keeps committing the same crime and law enforcement keeps making the same misstakes. Dumb.

I also did not enjoy the writer's style. I often found it hard to follow because it was so conversational. I'm not sure how I missed it, but I'm not sure who is telling this story.
Clarissa J. Liening
Great read!#

Even if I didn't live on Orcas (which I do) and even I didn't know, love and totally enjoy the author (which I do), I would still enjoy this book. It's a great story and Bob's writing and his ability to tell a tale is great. Enjoyed the new stuff in second edition which makes the fact that my signed hard copy was lost when I loaned it out) less painful. I highly recommend!
Andrea Gebler
Didn't finish it. I wasn't intrigued by the story and it just seemed to go round and round. I understand that a description is important to set the scene but I feel the author went into a little too much detail. I may have finished it had the author been a little more to the point spending more time on the actual events and crimes rather than describe every nook and cranny about the terrain and way of life
Randy Briggs
Apr 30, 2012 Randy Briggs rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a great deal. The author has a jokey, conversational style that kept me engaged. He managed to keep a balance between Colton, his family, and his neighbors without judging any of them. I was happy to find a biography that didn't tip over into an all-out puff piece. If you enjoy true crime and/or bios, this is the book for you.
Kara
Nov 30, 2012 Kara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Totally amazing. I knew about the story because this guy stole Nick's laptop in the summer of 2008, but I had no idea about the extent of the crimes and the backstory. A Black Hawk helicopter on Orcas! Really fun to read about Orcas but also a really fascinating story about a kid on a crime spree, and that kid's troubled life.
Lisa Neuharth-kearney
Great story about an amazing young man that tries to survive in the NW on his own and educated himself to fly planes so he can steal them and defy all authority. Sad upbringing but gives you a glimpse into the child raised by an alcoholic, they are survivors one way or another.
Evan
Nov 28, 2012 Evan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I enjoyed this book, and found it quiet detailed. What made me appreciate the visuals even more was being from the Pacific Northwest as well (and having visited Seattle, Oregon, and Olympia all a couple of times in recent years when visiting the U.S.).
Traci
Sep 07, 2013 Traci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember when his story was in the news. When I saw this book sitting near the check out at the library, I figured why not? Boy, this kid was crazy! I feel as if he never had a chance in his youth (good job Mom) and was quite a character by the end…
Amanda
Jan 19, 2013 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The back half (thankfully) was more exciting and in an order that made sense. Unfortunately the first half went on and on and was chronologically all over the place. Overall I enjoyed the book, but it could have been shorter, in my opinion.
Susan
Aug 26, 2013 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Poorly written true story of a sad, abused, disenfranchised, and very smart young man who carried out a one-man crime spree from the San Juan Islands to Bermuda. I enjoyed the descriptions of places and that's the reason I kept reading.
Carol
Jun 25, 2012 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sad but engaging story of Colt and his mother from hell. This is a fascinating case study of a bright boy's way out of a life with no boundaries, rules, or social skills. I could not put this book down.
Lindsey
Feb 28, 2014 Lindsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put this book down! True story of a young kid who becomes famous by stealing planes and running from the law! By the end of it I was rooting for the bandit!!
  • The Fence: A Police Cover-up Along Boston's Racial Divide
  • Great Soul: Mahatma Gandhi and His Struggle With India
  • Final Analysis: The Untold Story of the Susan Polk Murder Case
  • And Hell Followed with Her:  Crossing to the Dark Side of the American Border
  • Operation Family Secrets: How a Mobster's Son and the FBI Brought Down Chicago's Murderous Crime Family
  • Jeff Corwin: a Wild Life: The Authorized Biography
  • Made Men
  • King of the Godfathers
  • Rothstein: The Life, Times, and Murder of the Criminal Genius Who Fixed the 1919 World Series
  • American Lightning: Terror, Mystery, the Birth of Hollywood & the Crime of the Century
  • I Met the Walrus: How One Day with John Lennon Changed My Life Forever
  • Law Man: My Story of Robbing Banks, Winning Supreme Court Cases, and Finding Redemption
  • Man of War: My Adventures in the World of Historical Reenactment
  • China Witness: Voices from a Silent Generation
  • Catherine the Great
  • The Murder of Jim Fisk for the Love of Josie Mansfield: A Tragedy of the Gilded Age
  • Putin's Labyrinth: Spies, Murder, and the Dark Heart of the New Russia
  • Leonardo's Lost Princess: One Man's Quest to Authenticate an Unknown Portrait by Leonardo Da Vinci