Start by marking “Five Go to Smuggler's Top (Famous Five, #4)” as Want to Read:
Five Go to Smuggler's Top (Famous Five, #4)

Five Go to Smuggler's Top (Famous Five #4)

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  11,663 Ratings  ·  186 Reviews
The Five find adventure, when they spend Easter vacation at Mr. Lenoir's sinister house Smuggler's Top. Set high above an eerie marsh, the house is honeycombed with hidden staircases and tunnels that once served as a hideaway for smugglers. When strange lights begin to appear, the Five suspect that the tunnels are once more in use.
Paperback, Illustrated Edition, 202 pages
Published 1997 by Hodder (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about Five Go to Smuggler's Top, please sign up.

Aude No, you have to borrow it or purchase it elsewhere. This site is for reviewing only.

Namratha
Jun 14, 2007 Namratha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
One of the few Famous Fives where the wondrous meals took a back-seat! Smuggler’s Top however, atop the mist-shrouded Castaway Hill more than made up for the absence of 'lashings' of delicious food.

The adventure starts off with the Five heading off to Kirrin for another glorious vacation. But a terrible gale puts a damper in plans. It uproots a massive ash tree that crashes on to Kirrin Cottage. Four active kids, an excitable dog, a house badly in need of repairs and an irritable Uncle Quentin.
Paul
Jan 08, 2016 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jean
I loved the "Famous Five" books when I was a child. Now I have a very different view.

First of all let me say they are great as adventure stories. They describe kids having an active outdoor life - and generally getting mixed up in something exciting. This sounds just like the sort of books we should be encouraging children (who nowadays are potential couch/computer potatoes) to read. And generally I would encourage all types of reading - comics, interactive books, whatever. But since there is su
Jenny George
Jul 13, 2015 Jenny George rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-and-have
5 stars
Adventures always come to the Adventurous-Enid Blyton The quote from this book sums up the whole series!

(view spoiler)

I was thrilled the whole book and Ms.
Wesley Possible
Oct 15, 2012 Wesley Possible rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four children and their dog have gone to stay with their Uncle’s friend, only to discover mysterious goings on during their stay. A flashing light in the middle of the night leads them on an adventure to pursue a group of smuggler’s in the area, an adventure which deepens with the disappearances of their Uncle and their close friend. With unsuspecting twists, the children investigate the goings on and get to the bottom of this thrilling encounter.

The highlights of this book was the unexpected tw
Chloe Devenish
Jun 14, 2015 Chloe Devenish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a good book. I liked it because there is so much adventure. I like the way Timmy always stays on guard no matter what happens. Even though he is separated from Georgina, (George) he still helps Uncle Quentin as though he is his Master.
Sylvester
This was a dramatized audiobook, short and enjoyable, even for an adult - or at least an immature one, as in my case. As a kid, I would've loved it. Lots of unsupervised adventure - what kid doesn't like that?
Dani Noviandi
Kali ini liburan paskah. Lima sekawan kembali berlibur di Kirrin untuk menyambut petualangan mereka berikutnya, setelah tiga petualngan sebelumnya yang sangat mendebarkan. Saat itu musim semi, di Kirrin angin berhembus sangat kencangnya, sehingga liburan anak-anak kacau balau. Penyebab liburan mereka berantakan ialah adanya pohon tumbang yang menimpa rumah George! Kamar anak-anak berantakan, mereka pun hampir menjadi korban, terbayang sudah liburan mereka yang gagal dan mereka pun terancam untuk ...more
V. Briceland
Things get off to a cold and windy start in this fourth installment of the Famous Five series, as the four chums (plus Timmy!) arrive in the country for holls only to discover that Kirrin Cottage is not only cold, but battered by wind! "It's awfully cold!" opines sweet Anne, "and windy!" Anne, of course, will make a man a good little housewife some day. "It's the wind," says Aunt Fanny, who is already a good little housewife, "making it cold!" Julian, however, who is a tall, strong boy with tall ...more
Kirsti
Nov 13, 2011 Kirsti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Five go to smuggler's top" was actually one of the last Five books I read, even though it is number 4 in the series. It was hard to find a copy originally, and I had to make do with a more modern publication than some of the others I own.

What starts off as a lovely easter holidays at Kirrin soon turns into adventure, with a large tree hitting the house making it impossible for the children to stay there. They are packed off to stay with a friend of Uncle Quentin's, and his son, a boy Julian and
Habibah
Dec 08, 2013 Habibah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another trip into my childhood :) and I enjoyed every minute of it. The five are staying in an old house where the discover secret passages and underground tunnels (a must for children 8 years plus). Are there really smugglers at Smugglers Top? Who's behind the signalling, the kidnapping and all the weird goings on?

In a town which is cut off from the rest of the world, the Famous five must go on a spooky adventure to solve the mystery of smugglers top.
This book can be used I the classroom for g
^
Smugglers, trusting parents, tunnels, baddies with appropriate names such as ‘Block’… this is what childhood is all about. For an adult this is hardly demanding reading; but it does bring back happy childhood memories of the picnics we ate (an awful lot of hard-boiled eggs … which nowadays might be viewed as a cholesterol risk!) and the games of adventure and tremendous imagination we used to play outdoors after reading books such as those in the Famous Five series. I don’t care how good compute ...more
Nikki
Aha! The first adventure away from Kirrin. By now the "George is/could be separated from Timmy" plot is getting a little old, as is the Timmy-ex-machina. It's fun story if you haven't read the others recently, I suppose, and there's more secret passageways and Uncle Quentin getting into trouble... It's more of the same, of course: nostalgia for the simplicity of childhood, plus children knowing better than adults, plus mysteries and secret passageways and at the end a friendly policeman coming a ...more
Sunshine
Jan 13, 2016 Sunshine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what an adventure! Goodness, when Five Go To Smugglers Top they really go to Smugglers Top! The usual gang plus plenty of new friends and some jolly awful wrong 'uns! I had this book read to me...with all the glorious voices!!!
Thomas
Jun 28, 2015 Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The famous five are once again in the middle of an action packed adventure. Old tunnels and secret staircases maybe a good play area but it is also a good hideaway for smugglers....
Emily Read
Really needed the comfort of childhood and this was the perfect fit. Such a lovely story and reading it feels very much like a warm bath after a long day.
Les Wilson
Feb 13, 2015 Les Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Fancied a touch of nostalgia and wasn't disappointed. Still enjoyed it 60+ years on.
Bartolomeu De Bensafrim
festa.

o mal
descende sobre os cinco -
como uma manta sobre alguém
que treme enregelado
nas ruínas indolentes do seu próprio lar.

o palco etílico
fugaz mas magnânime
está montado.
o pudor e a moral saíram
e os lugares vazios são preenchidos
pela ausência de lucidez
pela instintiva ânsia da carne
pelo berro
ensurdecedor
incessante
do ego.

Dick mexe nos botões
de brilho e contraste
da sua própria filha -
o gin diz-lhe que o incesto
apenas se aplica entre humanos.

Georgina
apenas se segura em pé
porque a sua vulva quer
Farseer
Jan 19, 2017 Farseer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Natalie Shaw
Mar 21, 2017 Natalie Shaw rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another one in the series that I really enjoyed reading! c:

As always, Enid Blyton's novels are really wholesome and enjoyable while being something you can enjoy at any age - whether you're a child reading it for the first time or an adult re-reading to reminisce your childhood. Would highly recommend this - and the rest of the series - to anyone, regardless of their age or interests, but especially for children.
David Sarkies
May 11, 2012 David Sarkies rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children, both boys & girls
Recommended to David by: My Dad
Shelves: mystery
Secret Doors and Smuggler's Holes
11 May 2012

This is the first of the Famous Five (Freunde Funf in German) books that takes place away from Kirrin Cottage and the surrounding area. Once again it is holidays (and it is Easter, which sort of throws the books out of order since book two was during the Christmas break, and the third book was during another unnamed break, however, despite my lack of knowledge about 1940s English School terms, it seems as if the five have skipped some holidays to arri
Bethsheba Meliala
Mar 08, 2017 Bethsheba Meliala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are so many aspects that I really love from this book. Just as the other Famous Five books, this one is also very mysterious. My only problem with this that it was very predictable. It's fun, but since it was so easy to predict, it didn't turn out as fun as it should be. But overall I enjoyed this book.
Desty
Berbicara tentang buku anak, saya tidak bisa melupakan serial Lima Sekawan. Pertama kalinya saya menyukai kisah misteri ala detektif adalah lewat buku Lima Sekawan. Beberapa waktu yang lalu, saya sudah membuat review buku 1-3, dan kali ini saya membaca buku ke-4. Kali ini Lima Sekawan akan pergi ke Sarang Penyelundup.

Liburan Paskah sudah tiba. Julian, Dick, George, Anne dan (tentunya) Tim kembali ke Pulau Kirrin. Sayangnya di Pulau Kirrin sedang terjadi angin kencang. Sebuah pohon tumbang dan me
Ayesha
Mar 02, 2017 Ayesha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading Enid's books has been my favourite pastime as a kid. Read this one as a 10 year old back in 2006. Loved this part in particular because I have always been fascinated by secret passages in old houses and also because the grumpy Uncle Quentin took centre-stage in this story and actually got to appreciate the efforts of the five as they rescued him.
Sophie Dusting
Apr 01, 2012 Sophie Dusting rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis:

"Smugglers-coming over a secret path from the sea to Castaway Hill! Smugglers!" (Pg. 78).

Julian, Dick, George, Anne and Timmy the Dog meet once again to begin, what they believe to be, a 'normal' summer holiday. Meeting at George's home, the first night doesn't quite go to plan; a terrible storm leaves the household in turmoil as a tree falls on the property. Worried they may not be able to spend their holiday together, George's father, the formidable Uncle Quentin, solves the probl
Williesun
3.5 stars I guess. Not that it matters much outside of my head. Anyway.

I read this one in German as it was the only copy I had and also couldn't find a hint on the interwebs that the Famous Five serious was as heavily edited in German as the Twins at St. Clare's one. Only the names, oh my goodness, so many of the names are different. I will never understand this need to Germanify names but okay. It makes things so much more confusing.

Of course this was a short read as it is intended for kids but
Katie Grainger
Feb 17, 2017 Katie Grainger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Five go to Smugglers Top is the fourth book in the Famous Five series and sees our loveable five go off to stay with Sooty Lenoir at Smugglers Top after Kirrin Cottage is hit by a tree during a gale. However things aren’t all as they seem at Smugglers Top, there is the mysterious Mr Block the supposedly deaf servant, the even more curious Mr Barlings and then there is Mr Lenoir himself who can’t be trusted because he doesn’t like dogs. I mean who couldn’t like Timmy! Things get even more curious ...more
John
- FAMOUS FIVE 2012: CHILDHOOD REVISITED -

Book four: Five Go to Smuggler's Top

As much as I like the Famous Five, this book was kinda yawny.

This is arguably the first book that takes place away from the Kirrin comfort area, at a quaint, semi-secluded place infamously named Smuggler's Top, where George and her cousins are shipped off to after a tree demolishes her crib. Well, Mother Nature, you're going to have to try a little harder if you mean to keep this lot from an adventure!

Arrived at Smuggl
Kim
Sep 17, 2016 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember Smuggler's Top as being one of my favourite Famous Five books, but this time I didn't love it as much. In the first book in the series set away from Kirrin, the five return home for the Easter holidays to Kirrin cottage, but have to leave after a storm blows down a tree which damages the cottage roof. They go to spend Easter with Sooty Lenoir, a boy from Julian and Dick's school, who lives in the mysteriously named house Smuggler's Top on Castaway Hill. Frustratingly, the stepfather o ...more
Eugenia
Mar 25, 2015 Eugenia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel-buku-anak
Seperti biasa, selalu suka petualangan Lima Sekawan yang penuh kejutan.
Kali ini, mereka bertualang di Sarang Penyelundup, dekat-dekat Bukit Buangan. Hmm..bahkan dari namanya saja aroma petualangan sudah tercium. Hihi ...

Cerita diawali dengan angin ribut yang sukses menjatuhkan pohon besar menimpa pondok kirrin. Mau tak mau, Lima Sekawan yang baru tiba harus mengungsi. Beruntung, ada tawaran dari teman Paman Quentin yang tinggal di Sarang Penyelundup. Petualangan pun dimulai.

Bukan hanya namanya y
  • The Third Form at St. Clare's (St. Clare's, #7)
  • Lima Sekawan: Menaklukkan Agen Rahasia (2)
  • The Mystery of the Whispering Mummy (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #3)
  • Uma Aventura no Deserto
  • The Secret of the Haunted Mirror (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #21)
  • The Secret of the Crooked Cat (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #13)
(See also her pen name Mary Pollock)

Born in 1897 in South London, Enid Mary Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years before her 1924 marriage to edito
More about Enid Blyton...

Famous Five (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Five on a Treasure Island (Famous Five, #1)
  • Five Go Adventuring Again (Famous Five, #2)
  • Five Run Away Together (Famous Five, #3)
  • Five Go Off in a Caravan (Famous Five, #5)
  • Five on Kirrin Island Again (Famous Five, #6)
  • Five Go Off to Camp (Famous Five, #7)
  • Five Get Into Trouble (Famous Five, #8)
  • Five Fall Into Adventure (Famous Five, #9)
  • Five on a Hike Together (Famous Five, #10)
  • Five Have a Wonderful Time (Famous Five, #11)