Start by marking “Soul Eater, Tome 1” as Want to Read:
Soul Eater, Tome 1

Soul Eater, Tome 1 (Soul Eater #1)

4.3  ·  Rating Details ·  33,549 Ratings  ·  347 Reviews
Afin d'accéder au rang suprême de « Death Scythe », une arme démoniaque doit ingérer 99 âmes humaines et 1 âme de sorcière. Cette mission est confiée aux Meisters, des spécialistes du combat qui vont récolter les âmes au péril de leur propre vie. Dans Soul Eater, partez à la chasse aux âmes en compagnie des élèves de l'institut Shibusen, école de formation pour faucheurs d ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 208 pages
Published March 12th 2009 by Kurokawa (first published June 22nd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Soul Eater, Tome 1, please sign up.

Eden I love this book. The way they say things and how everyone acts. It's fun to see Black Star make a fool of himself. It's also fun to see how Death the…moreI love this book. The way they say things and how everyone acts. It's fun to see Black Star make a fool of himself. It's also fun to see how Death the Kid complains about everything that isn't 'symmetrical'. Why would he complain about symmetrical things if his hair has three stripes on one side of his head and no stripes on the other side. (less)

Lola  Reviewer
3 1/2 stars.

I should have read this on Halloween - really the perfect time to plunge into this series. I can't wait to read more of the Death Weapon Meister Academy and Maka's quest to find a witch to kill. The characters are great, but I'm not sure how I feel about the Ecchi genre inside it... Maka is so young... I do know it's humor alone, but still.
Mal
Dec 11, 2013 Mal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, manga-graphic

Ah. It's good to be back ;)
*spoilers*
1) I forgot just how different Ohkubo's art was so early on in the series, and I'm so, so crazy amazed that someone can advance that hugely. I was always good at art, but I never developed my skills because I didn't have any passion for it, so I fell behind. The life of an artist is foreign to me, but when I see mangaka improve over time ... I'm so impressed, and weirdly proud of them, even though I don't know them at all.
2) It's really weird rereadi
John
Aug 15, 2012 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All right!!!! I AM BLACK STAR!!!!.And I am the BIG MAN whose doing this reveiw of Soul Eater Volume 1.

Just kidding but glad I have your attention now.

This book was surprising to say the least. From the look of it you would not expect an engaging, multifaceted, and original concept. But that is what you get! Also it looks like its written for kids. Found it in the Adult section next to HOTD (High School of the Dead)
and although it could be enjoyed by children I'm sure it has enough adult elemen
Megan
May 04, 2012 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Soul Eater was the very first anime I watched (the only one to actually be finished too D: ) and the first manga I bought. I absolutely adore it. The characters are amazingly thought up, and drawn very well. The whole premise of Soul Eater is very original, and I LOVE IT!!!!!! I mean, people that can turn into Weapons?? Who wouldn't like that????!!

Soul & Maka: A scythe and his meister- they have 99 Kishin Souls and go to hunt one witch to make Soul a DeathScythe. But one slip up and they hav
Samantha Tolleson
Feb 04, 2012 Samantha Tolleson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anime fans, Manga fans
Recommended to Samantha by: Anime-planet.com
 photo my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony-im-with-twilight-on-this-one.gif

We enter a modern Gothic style setting. In the darkness, arrives a girl carrying a rather large sythe. Her objective is to sythe the soul named Jack the Ripper on several counts of murder. She quickly dispatches the murderer, then we are introduced to the main characters of the manga, Maka and Soul Eater. Their objective is to collect 99 human souls and 1 witch's soul equaling 100 souls, so that Soul can become a Death Sythe.
On their next mission a hysterical set of unfortunate events occur lan
Abigail Watts
Nov 20, 2013 Abigail Watts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommend!
Greg J
Oct 11, 2014 Greg J rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This manga is just awesome.
Mingwei
Dec 30, 2012 Mingwei rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is a school called Death Weapon Meister Academy, or the DWMA for short. This school is run by a shinigami, or otherwise known as death. This school trains humans who have the ability to transform into weapons, and as well as the ones who wields those weapons, called meisters. These meisters objective is to have their weapon defeat and then devour 99 evil human souls and one witch in order for it to turn into a death scythe. Maka and her partner Soul, just finished collecting 99 evil human ...more
Samantha Sun
Feb 15, 2011 Samantha Sun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this book very much because it's different from what I normally read. I like how the author aesthetically creates a new realm where what's thought to be bad, the Grim Reaper, turns out to be good. I also enjoyed reading this novel due to it's schools setting so I could relate to some character's when they're given tests but on the other hand I get "jealous" when some students get to go on missions because it's an adventure of life or death. I sometimes get lost while reading because it's ...more
Jessica-Robyn
I know there are a lot of ghost story concepts in manga, there are so many I can't even begin to count. The idea of the soul is always incredibly interesting and here it's used to a fantastical end. However, I watched a good portion of the anime before reading this first volume and that without a doubt affected my experience.

The anime is beat for beat the same as the manga. That meant the Soul Eater I was first introduced to was different, with vibrate colour and great character voices, and yet
Jmart
Oct 24, 2010 Jmart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven`t read the series but so far what I had read on the reviews the mania is way different then watching it on the screen. Take a hint and watch the series on the screen. You ever watch a movie but you have read the book before watching the movie. Like Harry Potter or Twilight and in the end you have rip apart the movies because they aren`t base on the books all the way. Well this is oppose so the book ruin what have been done on the amine. So to save sometime try to watch it then reading it ...more
Liva
Dec 09, 2012 Liva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I love this series. I have been seeing it in the library for ages and just decided to pick up the first volume the other day. My parents and i went outside to eat and i pulled it it out to start reading. 5 minutes later i was running back inside to borrow out the other volumes. I absolutely love death the kid.
Jamaica
Jun 18, 2014 Jamaica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an awesome anime. I'm sad that it no longer airs on Toonami. Yes, I saw the anime before reading the manga, but I still enjoyed reading it. Not much to say besides that it was awesome =-)
mitarafortunadow
The reason why the manga is labeled as an adult ones, is because the plot and the theme will make the child cry. Even I, who read this at the age of fourteen, felt so confused and wanted to cry because I don't understand some things. The "madness" thing. It's going to drive me crazy, too.

The art in the first few volumes isn't that great. I dropped this series at volume two or three because of that reason. But the story was so original that get me back to read until the end. I was happy while pro
Mehsi
4.5 stars.

I have been interested in this manga and also anime for a long time. My boyfriend loves it, and I heard other people also say it was a good series.

After reading volume 1 I can honestly say I am looking forward even more to the series. There are 3 meister/weapon couples that get the spotlight. Maka and Soul, Black*Star and Tsubaki and Death the Kid with the Thompson sisters.
Of course we got a whole bunch of wacky characters like Shinigami, Maka's dad, Blair, Stein, and so many more. It
Lex Marie
Feb 25, 2011 Lex Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At first, I wasn't so sure about this manga because I didn't expect so much action and so little plot. But when I began to view it more for what it is (a high-action-based manga with a more simplistic plot) I began to thoroughly enjoy it more. While I like it a LOT however, I'm probably not going to immediately jump to buy it. I'll wait until I've read more into it before I decide, but it is warming up to me.
In terms of plot, there isn't much although the feel of it's-the-journey-not-the-destina
Deandre Walker
Nov 12, 2012 Deandre Walker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sound soul..dwells within a sound mind..and a sound body.That's all you need to get into the Demon Weapons and Meisters Academy,the DWMA for short. Here at this academy you must fight these evil humans called kishins,the goal is the meister and the weapon must work together and fight these kishins and when you defeat the kishin, your weapon must eat their soul. Don't worry the weapons transform into people and then back into weapons; you must collect 99 kishin souls and 1 witch soul once they ...more
Paul Torres
Apr 03, 2014 Paul Torres rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maka and Soul Eater Evan are weapon and meister. Soul Eater Evan can form into a scythe, and Maka is the wielder. they both work together to collect the souls of 100 humans and one witch. they are enrolled in an academy run by shinigami himself. every body in the academy partners as weapon and meister. all the teams compete against each other in an all out war to make the most powerful death scythe. which ever weapon collects 100 human souls and one witch soul first is to become the weapon of sh ...more
Erik Hawksley
Apr 02, 2014 Erik Hawksley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Soul Eater is about a weapon names Soul Eater and his weapon meister Maka. They are partners who go to an academy run by the grim reaper himself where they work towards their goal of collecting 100 Kishin souls and the soul of 1 witch. If they can do that Soul will be transformed into a Death Scythe, one of the Reaper's personal weapons. This series has intense battles, deep relationships and characters and also a great since of humor. I recommend this series to anyone interested in a great stor ...more
Elizabeth Stein
Nov 30, 2012 Elizabeth Stein rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Symmetry is key, everything must be absolutely perfect! 8!!!!

Ever since i got into the Soul Eater manga (and after, the show), I have wished for more of this fantastic manga! Soul Eater extended my imagination and got me into writing short stories based on Atsushi Ohkubo's work. This series is the MOST unique piece i have ever seen. The only thing i dislike the most about Soul Eater is that I am provided with only 100 chapters of manga and 51 episodes of the discontinued series :(

Soul (LOVE him
Shiori
Feb 13, 2012 Shiori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Soul and Maka have already collected 99 souls and whoops they had to restart all over again because of a cat witch. Haha, that's so funny. Black Star and Tsubaki have attemped to collect a Strong soul and they were stopped by a little kid witch in training, haha. Kid and the Thompson sisters, Liz and Patty, went to egypt and defeated a lot of mummies but Kid was bruised a lot because of symmetry OCD issues. This manga is very funny.
Flunderingchipper
I watched the anime and I LOVED it. I decided to support the author by following the manga.

Since the chapters that were adapted into the anime are way ahead of the manga volumes that have actually been released in my region, I'll probably have to wait a while buy volumes that aren't familiar to me (because of the anime).

Anyway, this was wicked awesome.
K.N.
Sep 03, 2014 K.N. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, 2000s
This series is fun and crazy and pretty much pointless, but it's my kind of pointless. Mostly I love the characters, because there's not that much in the vein of a plot. I would be happy with any story involving Death the Kid or Maka and Soul. Hell, I even like the Naruto!clone Black Star. If you're looking for something fun and nonsensical, Soul Eater's great.
Kristan
Jul 31, 2014 Kristan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: just-finished
Love the art and the story! Fun to read!
Erin
Jul 26, 2013 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the anime and this is definately so much like the first 3/4 episodes but, it was just as entertaining and action-packed. Great characters, plot and.... MAKA CHOP!
Starfire1511
Sep 25, 2014 Starfire1511 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
I LOVE SOUL EATER
Penina
Jun 30, 2010 Penina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This so far is one of my favorite manga series. I think fans of the more mainstream manga (bleach and naruto in particular) would enjoy it as well.
Sammy
Jun 21, 2011 Sammy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Soul Eater and Maka work together in order to rid the evil of their world, collecting their souls and eating them in order to upgrade. They need 100 evil souls and 1 witch's soul in order to become a Death Sythe. They also meet up with their assassin friends Black Star and Tsubaki. Death(or Shinigami) is the maker of the school that rids the evil souls, and Soul and Maka also ahve a chance to meet his son Death the Kid(aka Kid) and his ladies Patty and Liz. There is a twist with everyone's pairi ...more
Sophia F
This was an amazing manga! The storyline is simply awesome, and I love how there is almost more than 1 pairs of main characters, (about 3). They all have funny individual personalities, and all the extra details are really cool like with the 99 human soul and 1 witch's soul.
The only things I didn't really like was how... Perverted this manga was majority of the time. It's like, really? Did you REALLY need to add that? But I have to admit, some part were still pretty funny. Another thing was how
Amber
Jan 11, 2014 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This manga is a very good read, one of my favorites. The basic aspects in it, like the soul, weapons and demon like creatures, can be found in many manga stories out there. But this one has indeed got to be one of the best, the characters are funny at times, the story is dramatic, and the plot twists are quite unexpected. Anyone who hasn't read it, should definitely do so as it is well worth it.
Anime lovers103: Soul Eater 3 7 Apr 21, 2016 05:07AM
Awesome 3 4 Feb 09, 2016 04:49PM
Anime Madness: Death City 1 3 Oct 09, 2014 05:53PM
Anime Madness: Characters: Soul Eater 2 9 Oct 08, 2014 07:14AM
Shounen Manga Boo...: Soul Eater Discussion 12 25 Aug 01, 2014 09:00AM
Random Otaku Peop...: Soul Eater 40 9 Sep 27, 2013 10:27PM
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 23 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #23)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 3 (Black Butler, #3)
  • Hetalia: Axis Powers, Vol. 1 (Hetalia: Axis Powers, #1)
  • Nabari No Ou, Vol. 1
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: Under the Faraway Sky (Fullmetal Alchemist, #4)
  • Blue exorcist, Tome 2
  • D.Gray-man, Volume 01
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Vol. 1 (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, #1)
  • Reborn! Vol. 01: Reborn Arrives! (Reborn!, #1)
  • Zombie-Loan, Vol. 1
  • Pandora Hearts, Volume 3
  • Black Cat, Volume 01
  • Future Diary, Volume 1 (Future Diary, #1)
  • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, Vol. 1 (Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, #1)
  • Tegami Bachi: Letter Bee, Volume 1
2018764
Atsushi Ōkubo (大久保 篤 Ōkubo Atsushi?), also romanized as Atsushi Ohkubo, is a Japanese manga author and fantasy artist known for his work on the manga series Soul Eater, which has been adapted into an anime. Okubo worked as an assistant under Rando Ayamine, on the manga series Get Backers. He also created artwork for various cards for the Lord of Vermillion game.

Atsushi Ōkubo was not a model studen
More about Atsushi Ohkubo...

Soul Eater (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Soul Eater, Vol. 02 (Soul Eater, #2)
  • Soul Eater, Vol. 03 (Soul Eater, #3)
  • Soul Eater, Vol. 04 (Soul Eater, #4)
  • Soul Eater, Vol. 05 (Soul Eater, #5)
  • Soul Eater, Vol. 06 (Soul Eater, #6)
  • Soul Eater, Vol. 07 (Soul Eater, #7)
  • ソウルイーター 8 [Sōru Ītā 8] (Soul Eater, #8)
  • Soul Eater, Vol. 09 (Soul Eater, #9)
  • ソウルイーター 10
  • ソウルイーター 11 [Soul Eater]

“Soul: As a cool guy, I'm used to seeing naked women.

Blair: That explains the nosebleed”
51 likes