The Wife of Reilly

The Wife of Reilly

2.83 of 5 stars 2.83  ·  rating details  ·  621 ratings  ·  75 reviews
A romantic comedy about a woman who secretly tries to find a new wife for her soon-to-be ex-husband.

"I absolutely love it! A riot from start to finish." Marion Keyes, author of Sushi For Beginners

"For those of us who spend the odd night thinking about the one who got away." Jane Green, author of Mr. Maybe

"The Wife of Reilly, Jennifer Coburn's deftly funny, engaging and con...more
Published February 25th 2012 (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Wife of Reilly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wife of Reilly

Michelle
I rarely give up on books, but this one had me beat after only 7% in. It wasn't only that I didn't like the main character. In fact, I kind of liked that I hated the woman because I wanted to see what the author would do to redeem such a horrible person. No, what turned me off were the flashbacks embedded in flashbacks and the complete improbability of the story (the woman returns to U of M football game twelve years after she graduated and, out of a crowd of tens of thousands of people, just ha...more
Lisa
As I started reading this book, I was planning on maybe finishing it, but not liking it. The premise is what I would say about some sitcoms, and that is having the "idiot plot." I couldn't take the plot seriously. I don't think anyone would really try to find a replacement wife, that a group of friends would go along with it, that any woman would show up for a date with the guy's sister, etc etc etc. I even had a hard time with Matt's marriage proposal after a weekend of reconnecting with Pruden...more
Kylie
The Wife of Reilly is about Prudence, a New York accountant, who is married to Reilly. A weekend away back to her old college sees her running into her college love, Matt. By the end of the weekend, they are engaged. There's just one problem, She told Matt that Reilly died in a boating accident. Oh, and there's the fact that she is still married to him. Luckily for her, Matt lives on the other side of the country, which gives her time to solve her little "problem".

Enter - The Scheme. Prudence ro...more
Jeanette Hornby
3 and a half Stars. This novel had a variety of stories written within a story, each running off at different tangents. The writing itself was fast-paced and interesting. There were times I loved it and hated it at the same time. If you like something different, this book's for you.
Innerdiva1
Coburn takes a premise that could have easily been an "I Love Lucy" episode and not only makes it plausible, but extremely entertaining as well. The writing is smart, witty and snarky! Brava!
Paula  Phillips
Wanting a chick lit novel with a twist ? Meet Prudence , she is married to a man but also engaged to another and now in the middle of planning not only a wedding but a divorce. On a trip back home to Ann Arbour and a Homecoming weekend - Prudence ran into her old flame , he is the one guy she has been convinced all her life - that he is her soulmate , her one true love. Caught up in the thrill of romance, something that has been gone from her marriage to Reilly over the last few years - Prudence...more
Pam
I have to admit that the subject matter made me uncomfortable: a married woman cheating on her husband with her college boyfriend, then trying to find her own replacement in order to make herself feel less guilty. I stopped reading to check out what other readers had to say about the book and found myself surprised at the level of vitriol expressed against both the book and its main character. So I forced myself to keep reading and was glad that I did; I felt better about both the character and...more
Connie
I finished up THE WIFE OF REILLY by Jennifer Coburn and if you like something really light and fun, this is the book for you. It is comical, and except for one thing that was hard for me to grasp, I really enjoyed this book. Prudence is trying to find her husband a new wife, because she has rekindled an old college romance and become engaged while she is still married to Reilly.

Her friends help her in running an ad and looking through perspective women that might be the new wife of Reilly, so P...more
Christine
Ok at first I thought pru was an idiot
I mean who goes back to an ex that dumped you
Then I realized that you never really stop loving the person you first fell head over heels for and I started to relate to her you know
Then when Matt turned out to be an even bigger dick than before I kept hoping she would go back to Reilly, then Reilly was engaged wtf
I really thought they could you know fix the marriage :(
But after about half way through I was so upset for pru I couldn't stop crying like a baby...more
Jennifer Matwijec
the book was O.K...I felt very uncomfortable reading about Prudence cheating on her husband and carrying on this secret relationship with Matt, while either man not having a clue as to what was going on. The likelihood that a woman would actually try to find a replacement wife for her soon to be ex is far fetched. There were some good points to the book though... her close relationship with her friends, her mended relationship with her dad and her FINALLY going to Italy. I didn't like how there...more
Lynda
Clarisse
The book was okay most of the way, though, in general, I hated the main character. I know that isn't really something that you should take against the actual story, but I just really did hate her. I didn't see much sense in her actions, and I don't think a lot of the things she did should've been justified the way they were.

There's was actually a point wherein I was kind of engaged in the story. Some suspense was building, but the book never really satisfied that suspense because the ending kind...more
Mamarazzi
This was an entertaining read about selfish love. Enjoyed it thoroughly!
Jenn
In the first paragraph of chapter one, we learn that our "heroine" cheated on her blameless husband with an ex-boyfriend who believed her to be a widow; then she accepted the clueless boyfriend's marriage proposal. I'm glad the library shelled out the funds for this book because I won't be finishing it. Life is too short to waste on a self-destructing, selfish, two-timing protagonist. (on page 48 of 304)

I liked the author's writing style and would read something else she's written as long as th...more
Leslie
Mar 25, 2012 Leslie rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NO ONE
Shelves: read-in-2012
Good writing, fun dialogue.... if it had JUST been about Prudence and her friends and the shenanigans they could get into together, that would have been great. It had a real "Sex in the City" feel to it. But the drugs and the actual premise.....awful. I wanted to delete it about 25% into it, but I kept hoping for the story to redeem itself. It never did. This is the first time I've really been sorry to have wasted sleep on a book. Silver lining....it definitely teaches you to be careful what you...more
Sunny
Predictable chick-lit. From the get go, you knew this wasn't going to end well for Prudence. For her to be a MBA, she is an idiot. What a wonderful idea to hook up with the college sweetheart who dropped you and you never heard a word from him again. Lets not forget you're married. Couldn't even finish this book but I bet I can tell you how it ended, Prudence gets dumped by the college sweetheart for her troubles plus she loses her husband. I stopped reading after chapter 10. Frankly, I was bore...more
Katie O'Connor
The Wife of Reilly was a different read than my usaul. It had parts that I really enjoyed, parts that were very thought provoking and parts that drove me nuts. There were a couple places where I was dis-enchanted enough to consider putting it down and not picking it back up. But something about the story compelled me to continue reading to the end. The story of one woman's growth; it was fascinating to watch her grow from a selfish idiot to a caring human being who had learned something from her...more
Christine
This book has some really funny moments and lines in it. It also reaffirmed to me why I love having what some call "old fashioned" values. The whole concept of having an affair and trying to make it ok just doesn't sit well with me, although it was funny to see how far she went to try and rationalize her actions. There were a few references and moments that were a bit TMI for me too. Overall, I just kept being glad my life is nothing like this book and I won't be reading this one again.
I hate this book. It ended up in my bag at a library sale and I thought it might be a bit of brain candy in between the heavy Russian literature I was trying to read. It was just stupid. If a married couple is having problems and the marriage is getting stale, they should be trying to work it out and seeing a marriage therapist. Not screwing an old boyfriend and trying to auction off the spouse to get rid of the guilt. I couldn't even finish this joke of a book.
Eileen
I liked this book! No, the protagonist isn't the best moral character out there, and she ultimately gets her just desserts, but it was a fun read nonetheless. The supporting characters are brilliant, and even Prudence has her moments. I liked how her self-realization came somewhat organically; it wasn't a magic spell that suddenly righted everything. And for those reasons, I enjoyed this read.
Shelly
Humorous at times, but the premise was a bit hard to swallow. I decided to read it because I thought I might be able to go with the characters thoughts. I wasn't there with her though. She was unlikeable and even accepting that did not help me with enjoying her story. I did like the ending. This was free on Amazon when I got it. I am not sure if it is still a freebie.
Carol
While I found the main character difficult to like and thus difficult to sympathize with, Jennifer Coburn's engaging and witty style will definitely bring me back for more. I laughed out loud in a couple of spots - the one that stands out is a metaphor used to describe the main character's mother and stepfather. This is a fun, easy read - take it to the beach and enjoy!
Kandes
This story was kind of cute. It was something to pass the time as I was wasting the days away waiting for my hubby to get done with school. I was looking for a bit of fluff anyway, so I wasn't disappointed that it wasn't completely engaging. But if you are looking for something to completely lose yourself in, this isn't it. It was cute for a romance though. :]
Charity
Prudence Malone has fallen in love and is getting married. The only problem is that she is already married. She decides that she will find a new wife for her husband, Reilly, so that he won't have to be alone when she leaves him. Very cute! Be sure to read the short story follow-up, 'The Second Wife of Reilly', in the book, This Christmas.
Monica
Wanted to stop reading this book a third of the way in but kept reading hoping it will get interesting. Well, it didn't. The story's main character was annoying and tried to justify herself through her own messed up reasonings. I'm usually pretty lenient on my ratings so giving one star really says something about this book.
DJ =^^=
I understand why this book is free on Amazon. The story & main character are 100% disturbing. I am giving this book 1 star soley on the fact that the book is awful. I am not judging this author by her skills just on the book she wrote because I am sure she can write a decent story...at least I hope so
Amy Sheehan
Very rarely do I hate the main character of the book, but this time I did. Half the content could have been omitted. I could do without the dream sequence and babbling. None of the other characters were developed at all. I could not keep the friends straight. Spare yourself three days and skip this one.
Kelly
Dec 15, 2013 Kelly added it
Great Book!!

I absolutely loved this book. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time wondering what was going to happen next. I love that it was predictable like many books are becoming these days. I recommend you give it a read if you want to read something different and fun!
Sandalwood
The premise sounded interesting but the main character was unlikeable, the "marketing" attempts, though creative, weren't completely thought through (I'm guessing it never occurred to the author that, in real life, some of the women would have tracked him down), and the end was predicable.
Sonia
This was bad. Not was she cheating on her husband and her fiance, she was lying, whiny, and just irritating. I actually only kept reading to make sure she got her comeuppance. Glad for Reilly. I did find it ironic that the main character's name was Prudence when she was anything but.
  • When Girlfriends Break Hearts
  • The Do-Over
  • South Beach Cinderella
  • Goodbye to All That
  • Marry Me, Maddie
  • Sleeping with Paris (A Paris Romance)
  • Island Passage
  • The Kitchen Shrink
  • Jackpot!
  • Suburban Task Force
  • Year of the Chick
  • Kissing Kelli  (Texas Legacy Romantic Comedy, #1)
  • Do or Di
Jennifer Coburn is an award-winning writer of the travel memoir, WE’LL ALWAYS HAVE PARIS, a mother-daughter adventure through Europe. She is the author of six contemporary novels and contributor to four
literary anthologies. Jennifer has written for U-T San Diego, Miami Herald, Mothering magazine, The Huffington Post, Salon.com, and numerous other newspapers and magazines. She lives in San Diego wi...more
More about Jennifer Coburn...
Reinventing Mona Tales From The Crib We'll Always Have Paris: A Mother/Daughter Memoir The Queen Gene Brownie Points